Menu

Lands End ... what happened to their selection

I LOVE Lands End and if I wasn't too old, I would buy their little girl clothes for myself but this year there is very little selection and none of it appealing. DD went through a growth spurt and there is nothing I want to put her in.

Old Navy, Kohls, Wal-Mart, and Target have also been losers.

Hanna Andersson? I too have been dismayed by the total lack of selection at Lands End this year. They were my go-to retailer for one of my twins. For the other, I shop at Hanna Andersson. I did get the tiered skort, a polo style shirt, and a pair of bermuda shorts from Lands End last month for dd, and they seem okay. There just wasn't much else for her there. Their lack of cute t-shirts was the biggest problem. Also, the swim suits last year were much thinner than in the past.

I think Lands End has been slowly going downhill every since Sears bought the company. The good news is that Sears is now doing so badly that they are talking about selling off Lands End, which I think would be a very good thing for those of use who liked the old Lands End.

I was saved by the Gymboree Outlet this evening and I picked up those tank and skirt combos from Childrens Place (the ones they have every year).

I thought about Hanna Anderson but their clothes are just too loud. Children's Place has a lot of ugly, loud, tacky stuff but I managed three outfits for her that didn't break the bank.

My dd is long past LE's children's sizes but I shop there quite a lot-- but lately I think their prices have really shot up! So their declining quality is matched by their rising prices and I"m rapidly becoming an ex-customer.

LL Bean Kids has some cute stuff....

Yeah, I feel your frustration.

astrid

I think Lands End has been slowly going downhill every since Sears bought the company. The good news is that Sears is now doing so badly that they are talking about selling off Lands End, which I think would be a very good thing for those of use who liked the old Lands End.

Yep....I totally agree here. Their quality is not what it use to be and I've purchased nothing from them for summer. This is the first time in 8 years this has happened.

Yes, I used to buy much of my kids' wardrobes there, but I don't get much anymore. I don't want graphic tees, I don't want tissue-thin shirt fabric, I don't want shirring or ruffles on a swimsuit, I don't want bubble shorts. They haven't had any basic short-sleeved knit dresses this year either, the ones I've been buying every year since my kids were little. I would love to buy basic jean or khaki shorts (they don't have them). I miss the heavier rib-knit shirts. Sigh. Have not found a suitable replacement either, and my kids have aged out of Gymboree and most Hanna stuff too.

I still get quite a few items from the School Uniform section and they seem to last and last. I hope at least that department won't go downhill.

:iagree:

I've only bought a few things from the uniform section, but they've all been high quality. I haven't been anywhere near as impressed with the regular clothes, though.

We're still buying Hanna but I'm not crazy about this year's designs. We've bought some Naartjie too, and that has been pretty good.

:)

I agree that the quality of their clothing has really gone downhill over the last couple of years. I have bought all of my son's shirts from them since he was a little guy, but I've noticed how much thinner they've gotten in the last couple of years. He needs a few shirts for the summer and I was going to check out their selection yesterday, but ran out of steam. My son is in their biggest kid's size right now so I've already been trying to figure out where I will be shopping for him in the future.

I do have to say I bought a couple of bathing suits from them myself yesterday. I was so happy to find ones with built-in bras and they seem they they are made well. I've only seen improvements in their ladies' bathing suits over the years.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Yep, I'm over Lands End. The old stuff was way, way better quality. :-(

:iagree::iagree:

For about a decade, LE was my go-to place for kids clothes and also linens. Over the past few years, things have gone waaay downhill. Started with linens and spread to clothes. It started going downhill shortly after Sears acquired it, but really accelerated the past couple years.

Their swimsuits used to last 3+ seasons of heavy wear. The last 2 years, my girls' suits (two each) haven't gotten even one full season -- and we rarely even go to the pool!! Last fall, I finally returned about 10-15 items from the past year or two that had fallen apart well before their time. I used to spend about $1000/yr at LE, but that's dramatically declined, and now I am hesitant to buy anything at all. I definitely am reluctant to buy swimwear or anything else in which durability is a common issue, and I won't pay close to full price for anything there, whereas I used to be happy enough to pay full price if it was stuff that we really needed, as I knew things would last through several kids, whereas now I am lucky to get one kid's worth of typical wear out of stuff!

It is SO SAD to see such a good company self-destruct. Reminds me of Netflix! Grrrr.

I'm sorry to say that I'm glad to read these comments...because I had always heard how wonderful Land's End clothes were, and bought some last year for the first time...and was ?????:001_huh: with the quality. The boy's pj's I bought are pretty nice though.

I agree with you; I felt like their move to being owned by Sears was a poor decision--although perhaps it was financially necessary at the time. I don't know. I also wonder if they have been hit hard by the economy, just like everyone else.

I was saved by the Gymboree Outlet this evening and I picked up those tank and skirt combos from Childrens Place (the ones they have every year).

I thought about Hanna Anderson but their clothes are just too loud. Children's Place has a lot of ugly, loud, tacky stuff but I managed three outfits for her that didn't break the bank.

I was going to suggest Gymbo; that's where we get ours. What did you get from Children's Place? I haven't been in there in years.

I too have been dismayed by the total lack of selection at Lands End this year. They were my go-to retailer for one of my twins. Also, the swim suits last year were much thinner than in the past.

:iagree: I needed Lands End big time for one of my twins too and this year the selection is awful. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

Alley

L.L. Bean's quality is still the same. The kids clothes are great.

I looked on-line at LL Bean and I don't share the same enthusiasm for LL Bean. :001_smile: I did try, though! Maybe I needed to dig deeper but there wasn't that much selection either although there was a very pretty bathing suit combination but alas, it didn't come in a skirt variation.

I was going to suggest Gymbo; that's where we get ours. What did you get from Children's Place? I haven't been in there in years.

Every year, CP has these scooter and halter top combinations which are cheap. Walmart has something similar, sometimes, at about the same price.

Something like this ... Skort

I didn't get that particular one because I went to the outlet and that particular color pattern wasn't there.

:iagree: I stopped shopping LE 2 years ago when the tank tops I bought dd were poor quality. I was so disappointed. I don't mind spending the money on quality but to shell out the $$ to get garbage really ticked me off. IT is moot now since dd no longer fits in their clothes but I stopped buying my stuff there as well.

Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this this year! I can usually find some things at LE each season, but it's been less and less here too. I'm having a very hard time finding knit cotton shorts for DD9 this year too--she wants something between the regular short shorts everyone has and knee-length Bermudas. No one sells those!

And the tissue-thin t-shirts make me :banghead:

Exactly. Sears has been going downhill for a while, posting quarterly losses on a regular basis for the past 5 years. Buying out LE was supposed to boost the company diversity profile, but they also cut the old suppliers and subbed Sears suppliers, thus eliminating the selling point of LE in the first place -- the quality of the clothes. It's all an issue of poor management decisions.