Menu

need a read aloud as exciting and fun as Harry Potter

My husband and I both read aloud to the kids (me during the day and he at night). He started reading Harry Potter to the kids and they love it so much that I can't seem to find any book that will keep their attention now. I almost regret having him start those...but not really...they are good books. I am enjoying them as much as the kids. PLEASE give me some ideas for me to read to them. I really would prefer not be the fantasy books like Harry Potter. I don't want my kids to start thinking those types of books are the only "good" ones out there...especially my boys . My kids are :dd age 11, ds ages 10 and 7.

thank you for any and all suggestions.

Kathy

We ran into a similar problem. My kids really enjoyed getting into a story and living with the characters for awhile. After we read the Harry Potter books (still holding off on the last one) all the other read alouds I had picked out seemed too short.

I did find that Rick Riordan's books work well for us. So far we've only read "The Red Pyramid," but we have many more waiting in the wings. Riordan has two other series plus maybe a fourth somewhere over the horizon (based in Norse mythology). I like that they're all rooted in ancient mythology which has been a great way to help reinforce what we've learned by reading the myths ourselves.

Most of the other books that are often recommended as similar to Harry Potter just didn't work for us.

How about Greek Mythology-modernized of course. The Percy Jackson Series! Have they already done the Little House series? Stuart Little, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, The Indian in the Cupboard series, My Side of the Mountain; I'm sure I'll think of more later.

You might enjoy Richard Peck's books that are about quirky characters in early 1900's settings:

A Year Down Yonder

A Long Way from Chicago

The Teacher's Funeral

A Season of Gifts

Here Lies the Librarian

My HP-loving ds also enjoyed some of Christopher Paul Curtis' books:

Bud, Not Buddy

The Watsons Go to Birmingham

Mr. Chickee's Funny Money

Mr. Chickee's Messy Mission

It's on tape but "The Dragon Rider" by Cornelia Funke, narrated by Brendan Fraser...he has us in stitches and they kids hated to have to go use the restroom (a 9 hour drive) :) It was great, and I'm sure a good read aloud, but he does the best job on the different voices! Cracker Barrell had it...

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Treasure Island (still a favorite here)

Redwall (talking animals)

Hatchet

Richard Peck books - Here Lies The Librarian, The Teacher's Funeral, A Year Down Yonder..

The Great Brain

Theodore Boone, Kid Lawyer

Sideways Stories from Wayside School

Rascal by Sterling North was enjoyed by all of my kids.

Where the Red Fern Grows

From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Little Lame Prince

and, just cause they are too good to miss,

Five Children and It

The Moorchild

If fantasy was allowed that would be easy, The Enchanted Forest series - starting with the first book "Dealing with Dragons".

Your kids are older than mine so I can't really say. Perhaps...

Poppy series by Avi. The books are:

Ragweed

Poppy

Poppy and Rye

Ereth's Birthday

Poppy's Return

Poppy and Ereth

You can watch this youtube video to find out about the series, and maybe get the kids hooked on it.

Sid Fleischman's books are realistic historical fiction, and quite funny. Our favorite is Chancey and The Grand Rascal.

IF you allowed fantasy, Cornelia Funke's books are awesome. The Ink--- series is great, and The Thief Lord starts off fairly realistically but then jumps the shark a bit in a fantasy way.

I avoid a lot of current realistic fiction for that age because it's so issue-driven (divorce, bullying, etc), so it can be hard to find.

Some of the historical fic is easy to get into and has great characters, but a lot of the older stuff starts pretty slowly. Miracle on Maple Hill and Thimble Summer are good choices to start with. More for the younger one, tho...

What about Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat?

It is a fictionalized account of a true story that has adventure and humour.

Maybe you could draw your kids by linking it to Hedwig in Harry Potter. What would it really be like to have an owl of your own?

We currently are reading "Owls in the Family". I admit it's a really nice book but it's thin - and it will seem even thinner after read Harry Potter. I would recommend trying to go with a series. I find that after reading a great series it is easy to get into a great series or theme of books.

With a series you know all the characters so the reading is easier in one way. You don't have to get to know everyone. The setting is basically the same, the universe is the same.

It's just easier to read several books in a series than several stand alone books.

What about Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat?

It is a fictionalized account of a true story that has adventure and humour.

We loved this. Read it a few years ago.

BTW, your user name is our anniversary date. :D

Roald Dahl books

Yes, love, love, love Roald Dahl.

For ages 11, 10, and 7 - as the OP stated:

The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World series are great. There are 3 in the series and our ds loved it equally. I've heard that boys like it also.

The Racketty-Packetty House by Frances Hodgson Burnett - the illustrated version is really nice

Humphrey the Hamster series are great

Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant

Tale of Despereaux

Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Indian in the Cupboard

Harry, the Poisonous Centipede - a few books in this series

Freddy Books - we have the Freddy Anniversary Collection and the dc loved that. My only gripe is that the chapters are very long. I have a problem with long chapters ...

Detectives in Togas (as well as its sequel)

We ourselves are running out of really good read-alouds. :glare:

The Mysterious Benedict Society. My kids loved the first one, and we're reading the second one now.

:iagree: Dd and I are reading this now. Besides some of the others mentioned...Eragon (probably my favorite though they condensed a lot in the movie and I didn't like that) and the rest of that series or A Wrinkle in Time (also has a series after it).

the Wilderking series - Bark of the Bog Owl

C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy- might want to preview the 2nd and 3rd

Tolkien-

My youngers have been on a Jean Craighead George kick lately- she's written tons of outdoor/adventure types, incl Julie of the Wolves, et al

The Wrinkle in Time series

Redwall