Menu

2012--How do you say it?

I say two thousand twelve. I don't think I've heard anyone say twenty-twelve yet, but it does make sense given the last century!

However, even if I did say twenty-twelve, I'd have had to vote for two thousand twelve in light of your current avatar. :D

:lol:

I remember watching CBS's Sunday Morning, and being annoyed with Charles Osgood for saying, "twenty-oh-four." I keep telling dh that eventually, people will have to get with the program, or they won't be able to say, "twenty-one oh-four," or somesuch when the time comes. He tells me that he doesn't think that will be OUR problem. :tongue_smilie:

:bigear:

It's "twenty-twelve" for me. I tolerated the "two thousand and..." until 2010. Now I really feel that it's time for us to move past it, LOL.

:iagree:"Twenty oh nine" (or whatever year) didn't really roll of the tongue easily. Since 2010 though, it's much easier to call it twenty something rather than two thousand something.

I say twenty-twelve and it drives me NUTS when people say two-thousand-twelve.

Clearly, I have issues. :lol:

Funny, I feel exactly the opposite! I say "two thousand twelve", and it never would have occurred to me to say it any other way. I haven't heard anyone say "twenty-twelve", other than maybe a couple of times on the AM news. It somehow just sounds odd, almost flippant and irreverently informal.

Maybe I have issues too. ;)

Edited by AHASRADA

Flippant and irreverently informal? Really?

Just curious, honestly no snark, did you feel that way about 1997? Or is it more because of the roundness of 20? Would you be okay with twenty-one twelve?

I've never told anyone that my son was born in one thousand nine hundred ninety seven. :tongue_smilie:

:bigear:

It's "twenty-twelve" for me. I tolerated the "two thousand and..." until 2010. Now I really feel that it's time for us to move past it, LOL.

It is easier for my younger kids to understand two thousand twelve at this point. I'm sure we'll switch to twenty-twelve when they get the hang of large numbers.

I chose 'other' because I don't say it either of the ways you've written...I say two thousand AND twelve! In Australia we always add the 'and' when talking about a numerical value over 100. :confused: I don't know why, but I only hear Americans say 'one hundred twenty, instead of 'one hundred and twenty' (or some such!)

But back to the year though...:D...I think it makes sense to get around to saying twenty-twelve. I guess we won't be around, but imagine saying 'two-thousand-one-hundred and twelve' in 100yrs time! 21-12 would roll off the tongue better!

I chose 'other' because I don't say it either of the ways you've written...I say two thousand AND twelve! In Australia we always add the 'and' when talking about a numerical value over 100. :confused: I don't know why, but I only hear Americans say 'one hundred twenty, instead of 'one hundred and twenty' (or some such!)

I was taught in elementary school specifically NOT to say AND. It is actually supposed to denote a decimal point.

I was taught in elementary school specifically NOT to say AND. It is actually supposed to denote a decimal point.

I taught my students the same thing. I will say, though, that many old-timers (much like the Abe Simpson linked above) will toss in an "and" for the year.

"In 19and63, Kennedy was shot."

Flippant and irreverently informal? Really?

Just curious, honestly no snark, did you feel that way about 1997? Or is it more because of the roundness of 20? Would you be okay with twenty-one twelve?

Nope, I say "nineteen ninety-seven" like everyone else. I think it does have to do with the roundness of 20. I know it makes no sense, twenty-twelve just sounds wrong. Go figure! :tongue_smilie:

I taught my students the same thing. I will say, though, that many old-timers (much like the Abe Simpson linked above) will toss in an "and" for the year.

"In 19and63, Kennedy was shot."

the difference here is you are saying 19 63, If you were saying one thousand nine hundred and sixty three , In Australia then you would add in and.

So if you were saying 20 12, you would say it just like that with no and, but if you say two thousand and twelve, you would have an and.

In Australia, All numbers spoken or written in full names, have an and added after the hundred. Not if you are writing numerals though.