Menu

Swimskirt-yes or no?

I think it depends on where you live. In WA at the pools I've seen lots of women in swim skirts but in CA, I looked like a fuddy duddy in my tankini/swim shorts. So I think it depends on where you are. I personally think short swim skirts are really cute.

I see lots of people wearing them ~ 20s, 30s, 40s, and up.

I'm active in the water so I prefer board shorts, but I'd have zero aversion to wearing a swimskirt. I fall into the 30 to 40-year age set :D

What do you wear with the board shorts? I am having a terrible time finding tops and bottoms that go together well and fit. :tongue_smilie:

I think part of what looks best depends upon your height, your build and how you carry your weight. I wear a skirted swimsuit bottom. I have usually been able to find ones that are straight and relatively tight. The fuller skirts are more likely to float up in the water. I can't wear swim shorts, no way.

I'm in my mid 30's.

I see lots of people in swim skirts. I, personally, prefer the shorter swim skirts. I think the longer skirts and shorts stay wet too long and slap against my legs and give my legs a rash.

My swimsuit, this year, looks similar to.....

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/juicy-couture-girls-shirred-halter-swim-dress-sizes-2-14?ID=589441&PartnerID=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc=LINKSHARE-_-n-_-n-_-n&LinkshareID=hLUPakqa5g4-QjNZrO5gxrd8fW6srriGGg

I know that's a girl's swimsuit. :) Mine was found in the women's section at Dillards, but the skirt gives you the basic idea.

It is a little skirt that covers everything well, but doesn't have a lot of extra fabric dragging around my legs. I've also tried men's swim trunks, in the past. But, I found the extra fabric to be very irritating on my legs as I walked around the pool. It just wouldn't dry.

The Lands End version, I considered, before I found one that I could try on was:

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Women%27s-Beach-Living-Ruched-Mini-SwimMini/P_19222,en_GB,pd.html&dwvar_P__19222_color=POU

Edited by snickelfritz

Totally agree with this. I tried on one at Target last year and looked like an aging figure skater. I opted for something else. :001_smile:

Erica in OR

What? What does an aging figure skater look like?

What build would the one I linked suit?

Oh, now I get it--the skirt can look like the bottom part of a skating costume?

Edited by Jen3boys

Bah, I say wear what you wanna wear and who cares if you look like a fuddy-duddy. :D :D

(Says the lady who --though barely in her 30s-- has not worn anything other than skirted suits or board shorts/tankinis since she was 18.)

I just prefer not having to wear/pack a separate cover-up. And I like the versatility of shorts + tankini (can wear it kayaking, etc without feeling exposed).

I've always hated how the skirts float up in the water! :001_huh:

:iagree: if you actually plan on swimming much, don't do it. If you're going to lounge on the beach and by the pool mostly, then go for it if it'll make you comfortable.

Swimskirts all the way!!!!! I am 35 and haven't worn a suit without a skirt for at least 9 years. They make me happy and relaxed at the beach. I don't have to worry about anything hanging out. And how do I say this delicately... no extra-curricular shaving, if you know what I mean?;)

It obviously depends which swim skirt you pick. :D :lol:

But I got one when I was 23 and got TONS of compliments on it (from people my age, younger, older, you name it) so I definitely don't think you'll look like a fuddy duddy. :)

Oh you are a BIG help. :lol::lol::lol:

Well I always use one. I like having a bit more coverage of the inner thighs and stuff, so a little swim skirt and a tankini top works for me! I don't really care if anyone thinks it looks "fuddy duddy," that's better than showing too much excess flab or anything else lol.

it is from Landsend. The swim skirts or minis are not flow-y and some have tummy panels which are nice. I have used them for 10 years and I just turned 40. I like that they provide coverage without looking dumpy. The ones from Landsend do not fade or lose their shape. Mine have held up for years.

If I go to the beach this year and wear a swimskirt, will I look old or fuddy-duddy? I don't remember what ladies in their 30-40's wear at the beach.

Ok, I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here.

I think of grandmas in flowered rubber swim hats when I think of swim skirts.

Now I'm over 50, so my fantastic figure (that I now see on my teenage daughter instead) is but a figment of my imagination these days, but I'm not wearing a swim skirt. Just ain't happenin.

Your mileage may vary. Get me the longer shorts anyday.

it is from Landsend. The swim skirts or minis are not flow-y and some have tummy panels which are nice. I have used them for 10 years and I just turned 40. I like that they provide coverage without looking dumpy. The ones from Landsend do not fade or lose their shape. Mine have held up for years.

Well, thanks for the recommendation! I just bought one from there with tummy panel for this summer! :D With a matching halter top. And they've currently got a promo going on for 25% off plus free shipping on orders of $50.00 or more. I had to guess at the size I think I'll be due to my ongoing weight loss but hopefully it'll work out lol.

I like those. Are the sizing measurements accurate?

From the comments, I see this:

I agree with another reviewer. These are great great shorts - very comfortable and nice looking. I reviewed an XS in black and noted that it's larger than last year's oceanside short in the same size. I exchanged for an xxs, and couldn't be happier. The rise is lower and the fit is more sleek instead of poofing out. I'm about 108 and 5'2. I'm keeping the xxs and would consider ordering in a second color, too!

So, I think they might run a little bigger than last year. I notice that a lot of the colors are sold out in XXS (the same shorts also come in several patterns). I haven't read through all the recent comments yet.

I'm also thinking about this top, though I'm worried that I'm too short - the benefit of a halter that ties is that I can adjust the top length.

eta, I'm no fashion expert lol, but I also think the solid shorts look better either with a print tankini or a (solid or print) bikini top, and that if I get a solid tankini, I should get a bikini bottom. Solid shorts with solid tankini might be too much solid color.

Looking at the catalog, it's much easier to match things than looking on-line.

Edited by wapiti

Just try on a few. I've tried an A line style that made me look "fuddy duddy" but I tried a a slimmer straight cut that looked good. I think the longer they are, the "more mature" they look.

I like Land's End suits best. I wait for the sales ;) They had a wider shorts style that I got last year that was a cross between shorts and a skirt and I like it best!