Menu

Whoo-hoo! National Latin Exam Results. Anyone else?

I had 4 take the Latin I exam--my 2 oldest boys, and 2 boys of my friend's. We had 2 gold medals, and 2 silver medals. I was so thrilled that each boy medaled--and each family had 1 gold and 1 silver! My biggest nightmare as a teacher would have been for 3 to medal and 1 to not. Whew!

We got a scholarship eligibility letter yesterday for Jenna, who is a senior, but no actual results yet. It was good news, but kind of took away the excitement of getting that gold medal :D

Jenna scored in the gold medal range 4 years in row. Yay for you, Sweetie!

Do any of you have children taking Latin via Lukeion? Or do any of you know whether they prepare students well for the exam, in general?

Congratulations to all! I'm wanting to know the answer to this too! :bigear: Ds is registered for Lukeion Latin 1a in fall.

Congratulations to all! I'm wanting to know the answer to this too! :bigear: Ds is registered for Lukeion Latin 1a in fall.

The Lukeion kids tend to do very well on the NLE (and Greek exam, too, I believe). Four kids in this year's Latin 2 class wrote perfect papers, and something like 85% of their students earned merit awards.

Do any of you have children taking Latin via Lukeion? Or do any of you know whether they prepare students well for the exam, in general?

Yes, definitely. Both of my kids received gold medals on the Latin 1 exam. I was afraid we were going to ruin Lukeion's reputation for NLE success b/c we didn't do anything besides the Lukeion Latin 1b class (we did Wheelock's at home for Latin 1a). Lukeion also has a "Meet the Romans" class, which is also supposed to be geared towards the exam. It was full by the time I got around to signing up for it. But, I figured since my dc were only in 6th and 8th grade, I would worry about it next year. DS knows a lot about Romans, but dd knew very little.

We're pretty happy campers here.

Laura

Gold on Latin 1 with a perfect paper. Yay! Congratulations to all.

For those who've administered it to one/two students did your packet arrive in decent condition. This is the second year that UPS has delivered the packet in an awful condition. Last year ds received a certificate of Merit for a perfect paper for the Intro level and it was bent in several places.

This year the test booklet arrived bent in a couple of places and I was dreading the results packet. It arrived creased but not as horribly bent like last year. I'm wondering if you all have had similar experiences.

:bigear:

Hope others with more experience chime in. We've used a variety of materials including PL, LC 1&2, Latin Prep 1 and part of 2. This year in 8th grade ds has been working through Wheelock on his own with some guidance from me. Next year he will take Latin 2 through Lukeion. It will be his first outsourced class. I just couldn't stay ahead of him.

Congratulations!

Any of you care to share what materials/classes your child utilized?

What materials are you using to teach Latin??

Wheelocks and Oxford for Latin 1-II. Oxford Intermediate readers for Latin III and Cicero for Latin IV. But the the daughter with the 4 medals is particularly talented with languages and has been self-taught. But I thought the combo of Wheelocks (parts to whole, complete, but tedious) and Oxford (whole to parts, intuitive, fun, but prone to losing kids without a teacher) were an excellent combination for her foundation.

Barb

My ds earned a gold medal on the Latin 1 exam. We are thrilled!

He's been studying on his own this year, using Henle First Year and MP's online independent study. He'll also pick up our Cambridge books as the NLE approaches, and he utilizes some other online resources to study the culture, geography, and mythology. Prior to beginning Henle, he worked through Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I & II.

Congrats to all!

Nancy in NH

:hurray:

Our packet arrived in terrible condition. I'm not surprised, as the package was routed incorrectly in the first place. I use UPS's online tracking which sends me status alerts, and I watched as it left CT, went to MA, then back to CT again. We're in NH. I called to ask for an update yesterday, and they told me they didn't know where it was. When I told them I had already checked online and had seen the alert, they admitted it had gone back to CT. It finally arrived this afternoon, and before I opened it I knew the contents would not be in good shape. My son's certificate is bent down the middle.

At least it arrived, and my son is proudly displaying his gold medal. Congrats on the perfect paper!

Nancy in NH

Gold on Latin 1 with a perfect paper. Yay! Congratulations to all.

For those who've administered it to one/two students did your packet arrive in decent condition. This is the second year that UPS has delivered the packet in an awful condition. Last year ds received a certificate of Merit for a perfect paper for the Intro level and it was bent in several places.

This year the test booklet arrived bent in a couple of places and I was dreading the results packet. It arrived creased but not as horribly bent like last year. I'm wondering if you all have had similar experiences.

:bigear:

Edited by Nancy in NH
misspelling

I was afraid we were going to ruin Lukeion's reputation for NLE success b/c we didn't do anything besides the Lukeion Latin 1b class (we did Wheelock's at home for Latin 1a).

Laura

Same here!! Only Latin 1B, 1A was done independently. DS got a gold too!

Question though what does GOld mean?

I take it a perfect paper is 40/40

Gold would be 39/40, but what's 38/40? Is that still Gold, or is it Silver?

Question though what does GOld mean?

I take it a perfect paper is 40/40

Gold would be 39/40, but what's 38/40? Is that still Gold, or is it Silver?

The number correct to earn Gold vs. Silver vs. magna cum laude vs. cum laude varies each year for each level of the exam. For Latin 1 this year:

36 - 40 correct = Gold

33 - 35 correct = Silver

31 - 32 correct = magna cum laude

29 - 30 correct = cum laude

(national average on the Latin 1 exam was 28)

Brenda

Ds' class used Jenney 2 this year -- it covers the more complex grammar (technically, he's now covered all of Latin grammar, though there are always a few tricky exceptions) and Caesar's Gallic Wars (the class won't quite finish it this year). They practiced with old exams and used various resources to work on the culture parts of the exam. In his class, two of them took Latin 2 and two took Latin 3 (based mostly on age, as they were all doing the same work). They received three golds and a silver between them.

The kids had previously done the Latin Prep series before moving on to Jenney 2 some time last year.

Does anyone know when the NGE results are likely to be sent out? Do they usually follow the NLE results, or is there no particular relationship between the two?

Jackie

This is our second year of participation in the NGE, so I can only speak to last year. They followed the NLE results (notwithstanding an earlier testing date) significantly later... I believe it was around the first week of May.