Menu

Anyone NOT identify with a HS philosophy?

AnnaM

I have been reading through some of the more indepth threads realizing that I am pretty shallow LOL. I do not identify myself with any major homeschooling philosophy. I call myself eclectic because we use a mish-mash of stuff, but that isn't because I have some deep philosophical reason, it's just because it is what works. Or maybe I have one and I just dont know it?

Anyone else not have a HS philosophy that they identify with?

I don't have one, either, but I'm pretty new to hsing. I read these forums as I have time, which helps. I fit with classical in some ways (but not all), STEM in some ways, maybe a bit Montessori.

I'm not worried about having a philosophy right now. I'm sure I do have one - I just haven't found a description for it yet. ;)

I don't identify with a specific homeschooling philosophy, though I'd say there often is a reason based on my internal educational philosophy for my decisions.

For example, this year we are using Evan-Moor's "Daily 6-Trait Writing." We are doing this because:

1) My daughter wanted to use a workbook-style writing curriculum

2) I saw no harm in meeting that desire, since something she likes is more likely to be successful than something she doesn't like.

3) I felt this particular workbook approach would get her to do some useful things without a struggle that she probably would have fought me on.

So you can see that there's an undercurrent of both wanting to give my daughter input into her educational process, as well as pragmatism in my philosophy.

I don't think you are shallow. Read this post it's brilliant - My Biggest Homeschooling Mistake: Over-thinking Methods & Philosophies - it's on my homeschool inspiration list.

Personally, I like Charlotte Mason, Latin Centered Curriculum / Circe / good books. I also like things from WTM, unschooling, Waldorf, and believe in the value of real life being an education - if my kids are out trying to make a fire with a bow drill, they are learning many valuable things. I don't have a label for us - we're just trying to do our best.

I don't think you are shallow. Read this post it's brilliant - My Biggest Homeschooling Mistake: Over-thinking Methods & Philosophies - it's on my homeschool inspiration list.

Personally, I like Charlotte Mason, Latin Centered Curriculum / Circe / good books. I also like things from WTM, unschooling, Waldorf, and believe in the value of real life being an education - if my kids are out trying to make a fire with a bow drill, they are learning many valuable things. I don't have a label for us - we're just trying to do our best.

That could have been one of the best blog posts I have ever read. Thank you!

Me! I try to go with what works best for each individual child, as well as what works for me (rather ADHD). I like things about Montessori, CM, unschooling, Waldorf, etc, etc, etc, but I don't "follow" really any of their tenets. Not one. I do what works for us, and that changes regularly, lol! The more I watch and learn and customize for US, the better our school becomes.

Well, she summed up what I've been feeling lately in a much better way than I could.

I am attracted to programs that have a strong literature component (TWTM, CM, Core Knowledge, Kolbe, Ambleside Online, Mater Amabilis, Mortimer J. Adler's Paideia Program, etc.) but I am eclectic in that I pick and choose which parts of them I use. I've got LCC on order now that we're going to be starting Latin soon.

I think more experienced homeschoolers err when they advise newbies to figure out their homeschool philosophy before they even start homeschooling. (I also think it's an error to figure out their children's learning styles before they start homeschooling, but that's another discussion, lol.)

Although I would mostly self-identify as an unschooler (or at least a relaxed one), there are things about other methods and philosophies that I admire, which probably crept into my daily life. Of course, when I started hsing in 1982, no one had yet invented any philosophy or method other than, you know, teaching your kids at home. :D

I don't think you are shallow. Read this post it's brilliant - My Biggest Homeschooling Mistake: Over-thinking Methods & Philosophies - it's on my homeschool inspiration list..

Terrific post. I recognized myself in this paragraph:

"I read and read and read until I could tell you the ins-and-outs of every educational method under the sun, but I couldn't tell you what worked for my kids. Which is ridiculous, really, because I'm not teaching every child under the sun. And yet I knew more about how Reggio education came to be or how*Charlotte Mason thought grammar should be taught than about what worked best for my own children. My nose was always stuck in a book; my face always turned toward a screen. I was so wrapped up in the how of teaching these children, that I wasn't really meeting the needs of*my actual children."

I think more experienced homeschoolers err when they advise newbies to figure out their homeschool philosophy before they even start homeschooling.

This, Absolutely!!

I always cringe when I get emails from new homeschoolers asking for advice. I *want* to help them, but I'm also worried they'll take what works for me and try to make it work for them & then think homeschooling isn't for them.

One of the best conference speakers I ever heard state that she would NOT share specifics about what she did, rather she'd share specifics about what she did wrong. She had people try to pry her for answers on specifics & she finally said that what she does works for her, but the biggest mistakes homeschooling mamma's make is trying to be like Jane because Jane loves what she's doing and her kids are happy. She'd btdt & didn't want to help others become victims in that sense.

PS, loved the blog post.

GREAT post! So challenging! I read WTM and am thoroughly convinced, but our day to day resembles such a mixture of great ideas that I've come across in a variety of resources. I think I like it that way, though. Its nice to do *our* own way of homeschooling, and not just copy someone else!

"I read and read and read until I could tell you the ins-and-outs of every educational method under the sun, but I couldn't tell you what worked for my kids. Which is ridiculous, really, because I'm not teaching every child under the sun. And yet I knew more about how Reggio education came to be or how*Charlotte Mason thought grammar should be taught than about what worked best for my own children. My nose was always stuck in a book; my face always turned toward a screen. I was so wrapped up in the how of teaching these children, that I wasn't really meeting the needs of*my actual children."

Fantastic post! Thank you for posting the link.

She's right.

About so many things.

The forums are great when they explore a philosophical issue. It's good to think about what you are doing and why.

But there are density issues. When so many voices chime in with so much enthusiasm over such a short period of time, it is easy to zone out on one tree and lose the forest. Especially when you can't be sure that you're even in the proper neck of the woods for your family. :001_smile:

It's good to reflect on why you are doing what you are doing - from time to time. With intelligent restraint. Too much of a good thing amounts to navel gazing. Very time consuming. An energy zapper. Potentially implosive. For no good reason.

Parenting can be a very emotional roller coaster. All parents, regardless of where they send their kids to school, are shouldered with the task of raising good kids. All parents need to focus on building character in their kids. All parents are charged with cultivating a moral compass in their children. It's not a unique task taken on by homeschoolers. Everyone is charged with doing it. When homeschoolers chat extensively about "building character", it's easy to forget that it's not a homeschooling issue. I find it particularly problematic when parents say, "We've decided to focus on character instead of academics." I can agree that that's a good thing to work on as a parent, but I fail to see how that has anything to do with third grade math. If the gal down the street pulled her kid out of math class in order to work on character with him, it would be labeled "educational neglect." Everyone is charged with "building character"; everyone is charged with developing a parenting philosophy that will support parenting goals. A homeschooling philosophy can reinforce your parenting goals, but it's not as important as it seems when it comes to teaching third grade math. It's easy to forget that. And you don't need to nail your philosophy in order to teach little ones. Your philosophy will change a LOT as you walk this road. It's grows because of process not because of a launch pad. :001_smile:

Please step back. Navel gazing can be damaging. It can make you feel very alone and isolated. And desperate.

You have two jobs.

One is very spiritual. It commands a high level of self control and wisdom on your part. You are charged with the job of helping a little person understand and love the many, many people in this wide world. You are charged with the job of helping him understand his place in it. You are charged with helping him to learn to understand and serve others. You are charged with raising a child. So is every other parent on your block who puts her child on the bus every day. Those are parenting jobs. Relax. Your homeschool choice can help make it easier for you to parent. But parenting is parenting. Everyone is required to do it regardless of educational choices.

School is school. Every good parent is in charge of her child's education. Some outsource the actual daily grind, but all parents are responsible for directing their children's education - at least when they are small. If you are homeschooling, you have decided not to outsource the actual instruction. So yes, you are responsible for an additional layer. However, please ask yourself this: if you were paying someone to teach second grade math to your child, would you expect him to impart some great truth about the world while doing it or would you be content if he just taught the math and left the parenting to you?

Parents parent.

Teachers teach.

Sometimes it's just better to think about your roles in a simple way. Especially when the voices coming at you threaten to complicate your life for no good reason.

Philosophy and method will come. It's a natural part of the process of learning to teach well. Focus on parenting with joy and teaching with simple due-diligence.

Sometimes a simple pragmatic approach is the most effective one. And the most peaceful path. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

There is always the balance of idealism and realism. Everyone has an ideal picture in their mind about how homeschooling should take place in their home and family however there is the realistic component. What truly goes on in the home and with each kid at that time.

You can be aligned to a certain philosophy but whether or not your kids fit with it may be another thing. I was a voracious reader as a child and would love for my kids to be devouring the classics like I did. Hence I would have liked Sonlight, TWTM etc. However with my kids I am lucky enough to drag them away from Minecraft or Utube videos to read anything substantial. There father was not much of a reader or into school much and is a major techie. So it is Dreambox, Study Island, Timez Attack for them and books on tape. I am hoping that the longer they homeschool the more they will like learning and reading but for now it is what it is. But I am not holding my breath. Right now my kids love making movies with their video camera which is no surprised there as their father stays up to two in the morning watching movies.

I am praying for one child who will be a bookworm and loves science.

Don;t beat yourself up if you can't stick with a HS philosophy because it is not just you that is involved...it is each of the kids in the house, plus your husbands influence as well.

Just ask yourself: Are my kids learning? If so, great. Use what works for them.

No, I really don't identify with a HS philosophy. I don't feel the need.

Same here. I would venture to say that's true of the vast majority of homeschoolers. I don't have an "ideal image" of homeschooling should look in my home, either, disproving the comment above that everyone has such a picture.

My problem is that I have, at various times, identified with too many of them!!! :D When I first started this journey, I envisioned a very traditional "school at home" approach, because that's all I had ever known. But then I got swept away with Waldorf, and then we went kind of unschooly for awhile, and then Classical, and then CM. Next year, we're going back to my original vision of "traditional" school at home with textbooks and workbooks. My philosophy now is to just find what works for our personalities, our lives, and our goals, and to stick with it!

People will often encourage you to find what works for your child, and that is true and valuable and necessary. But one thing I'm finally admitting is that it has to work for me too, or it isn't going to get done. There are certain approaches to homeschooling that I'm just not going to pull off -- they do not fit my personality, or mesh with my abilities. So there is no point in me trying to force myself into that mold. We have to find what works for us, for both of us.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I realized lately that I had to stop labeling myself/our homeschooling style. We pick and pull from many sources, so I guess eclectic would fit us best as a label, but that doesn't really say it all either.

I'm trying to go more day-by-day, to do what works with my particular children, and not to over-plan. Wrote a blog post about it.

I love the link above too! Beautiful blog post, and it really hits home!

I don't either. I realized not too long ago that I didn't even want to *know* about any other homeschooling methods or philosophies or even books/curriculum/programs that I wasn't already familiar with. I hardly ever read blogs either. Mainly because it sometimes feels like the more I know about what's out there and possible, the more distracted and removed from my daily life it can become. If I feel the need for something (science for example) I'll start some research. If something isn't working or I feel we need something a little different (our recent addition of WWE for example) I'll start researching.

But mainly I like to try to stick to what works for us. I have no desire to try something else just because someone else has done it. I truly don't feel that there is a *best* anything (book, curriculum, method etc.) out there. What's best is what's working and being loved and enjoyed in my own family. My only motivation for change would be internal, to fulfill a need in my family. Not because of what I read or hear others doing. And certainly not to align myself with a particular method or philosophy.

I guess eclectic/relaxed is the term one would place on me. But that's really not a method or philosophy at all. I pull from what I like--I like some CM, WTM, Montessori, Waldorf, unschooling, unit studies, online resources. The only thing I haven't ever pulled from would be boxed curriculum. Things like Abeka, Sonlight, Calvert etc. hold almost no appeal to me. The only exception would be the Waldorf curriculum--OM and such.

I think more experienced homeschoolers err when they advise newbies to figure out their homeschool philosophy before they even start homeschooling.

On the contrary, I think it is wise to investigate edcational philosophies before beginning to pick curricula. People often ask, "Should I try SonLight?" or, "How about Veritas Press?" or "Is XYZ curriculum right for me?" One should first decide whether he agrees with the educational philosophy of the particular company before deciding the use the program for his children.

Practically, one the main differences in approaches to homeschooling is between the Core Knowldge folks and the Progressive/Child-centered philosophy. I am a Core Knowledge gal and appreciate this article by E.D. Hirsch. Which side of the fence you are on in this debate largely determines how you will conduct your homeschool.

I think most people fit into one of these philosophies, even ones who say they are eclectic and don't fit into any philosophy. Whether you choose to employ various methods to impart information is a less important question. For instance, I don't agree much with CM, but I think CM-style history is best for younger children. I also don't fully subscribe to Classical, but I use an awful lot of the same resources as classical people use. I do not think a purely traditional homeschool curriculum is ideal, but I do consider a couple traditional methods most effective for my homesschool (especially regarding math and writing).

So in summary, even though most people don't fit into a purely CM, Classical, traditional, or other philosophy for homeschooling, I think it is wise to decide whether you are a core knowledge person or a progressive. This is an important decision in the big picture of the education of your kids.

I have been reading through some of the more indepth threads realizing that I am pretty shallow LOL. I do not identify myself with any major homeschooling philosophy. I call myself eclectic because we use a mish-mash of stuff, but that isn't because I have some deep philosophical reason, it's just because it is what works. Or maybe I have one and I just dont know it?

I could have posted this.

I see myself in the article link, as well as the above quote. I've had the same struggle with parenting "experts". I am too easily swayed. What matters is what is best for OUR family, not someone else's family.

This thread has been most enlightening!

I have read and read about education, how children learn, and homeschooling for years. I don't identify with one single philosophy. I pick and chose what, for our family, are the best parts of each and call us eclectic. :001_smile:

No, I really don't identify with a HS philosophy. I don't feel the need.

I read about every Homeschool philosophy before I started homeschooling my son. I read general comparison books and hated classical, and school at home; I could not imagine unschooling; I enjoyed the look of Charlotte Mason, so I picked up books just on Charlotte Mason. I wanted to do that! I did okay in Kindergarten. We did a lot of reading, short lessons, and as much as I could; but I realized I was not doing what I wanted. But what i was doing worked. I started reading again. This time I read TWTM and decided that is what I wanted to do. I realized I had a somewhat classical education.

Now, I do a.little classical, with short lessons, and actually a little unschooling. They way we do school changes as my son's needs change. I now know I don't have to he stuck with one philosophy. I can pull from different philosophies and do what works. It is good to understand the philosophies and experiment with the styles, but be flexible.

I think more experienced homeschoolers err when they advise newbies to figure out their homeschool philosophy before they even start homeschooling. (I also think it's an error to figure out their children's learning styles before they start homeschooling, but that's another discussion, lol.)

I've been thinking about this... How would you suggest experienced homeschoolers steer a newbie then? :lurk5:

When I started, the first thing I did was read up on different philosophies and figure out which ones I was drawn to. Then I read more about those. I read the WTM and fell in love. I used that as my guide to get started, and it was an excellent choice! Now yes, I have strayed away from it a good bit (first the science cycle went... now the history cycle... and I don't focus on the memorization stuff mentioned... we're still following the writing recs! :D And we will try out Latin in 3rd grade). Without having at least some idea of what type of education I wanted to do, I couldn't even begin to figure out what subjects and curricula I needed to look at.

Now my educational philosophy has been growing and changing, as it should in any homeschooler. But I do think that researching philosophies at least a little bit was helpful to me to get started. Yes, it can get too far if you research it so much that you can't get started because you can't find the perfect philosophy. That's a problem. :tongue_smilie: I was good with reading WTM and using that as my jumping off point, researching curricula choices on this forum, etc. The choices I made for that year were right for my family that year. Now I'm going in a bit of a different direction (Sonlight), since my youngest is now old enough that I can do a bit more reading aloud of chapter books. I couldn't have pulled Sonlight off a year ago.

When I have a friend wanting to learn more about homeschooling, I usually have them read the WTM book. Even if that's not the philosophy they want to use, I think it is helpful in laying out a basic plan to get started. It tells you what subjects to do when. It has K'ers doing the 3R's and that's it. It's fairly gentle in the younger years, rigorous in the older years. It gives people a glimpse into what homeschooling can be outside of A Beka in a box. Granted, most of my friends are not looking for unschooling or Waldorf style schooling, so WTM book probably wouldn't be a good choice for someone desiring those philosophies.

There is just so much out there, and I do think narrowing it down to what you think you are drawn to can be helpful, but I agree that it can also go overboard. You have to be flexible and willing to change as you see things that need to be changed. Keep the goal of educating your children at the forefront, rather than sticking to a philosophy that isn't really working in your family.

I enjoyed the post too...thanks for sharing. And honestly, the only way I could identify a philosophy of my own is by identifying ones that I reject. The only ones that continue to resonate with me are Charlotte Mason's and SWB's and I do not follow either religiously. I believe my children do well with a certain amount of memory work and a lot history and literature study, but they need to be outside playing in the dirt and critter hunting as well. They love to be read to and we enjoy books together.

The bottom line is that they are learning - a lot - and I don't really know whose philosophy it looks like...it just looks like us.

Perhaps, but I believe it is very valuable to have a vision before you begin. That doesn't necessarily equate to philosophy. I think that first identifying what you want the outcome of education in your home to be is critical in choosing the correct tools along the way as you do the job of educating.

Perhaps, but I believe it is very valuable to have a vision before you begin. That doesn't necessarily equate to philosophy. I think that first identifying what you want the outcome of education in your home to be is critical in choosing the correct tools along the way as you do the job of educating.

My vision was simply to keep my kids out of PS LOL. I have never read a single book on homeschooling. Maybe I have made more mistakes with curriculum that way, I dont know, but I have learned as I have gone. In a way I feel like it has given me the advantage as I didn't try to make my children fit into a philosophy, but rather I watched the way they learned and we did what worked for them.

Thank you for this post!

I have been evaluating how we "school" ever since getting caught up in that huge Circe thread!

It seems everytime I would read a book on a new philosophy I would switch everything up to fit into that method. I've been through them all it seems. Even though each author tells us to take what makes sense for our family and toss out the rest, it has taken me 6 years to listen!

The reading of all these philosophy books has become my hobby. I need a new hobby!

You know, one of the reasons I bristle at overly identifying myself with anything is because I feel like I'm embracing a stereotype. The outsoorsy nature lover who bans twaddle. The gnome hunting wood sprite who ignores math. The Latin obsessed drill sergeant. It's kind of like a continuation of the groupings people fall into with young children. I see a lot of kids wearing Baby Legs, giant cloth diapers, and soft leather shoes and feel they are the uniform of a certain implied personality or value system (no tv and so forth). Why can't a conservative Christian hunter dress her kids in soft leather shoes? What do shoes or diapers have to do with anything? I don't want to be someone others think they "understand" based on how I dress.

In real life, no one has asked me about my homeschooling style although recently a few people have assumed I homeschool. I have absolutely no clue what gave them that impression and it disturbed me a bit. What am I doing to look so much like a homeschooler? What does a homeschooling mom look like?

You know, one of the reasons I bristle at overly identifying myself with anything is because I feel like I'm embracing a stereotype. The outsoorsy nature lover who bans twaddle. The gnome hunting wood sprite who ignores math. The Latin obsessed drill sergeant. It's kind of like a continuation of the groupings people fall into with young children. I see a lot of kids wearing Baby Legs, giant cloth diapers, and soft leather shoes and feel they are the uniform of a certain implied personality or value system (no tv and so forth). Why can't a conservative Christian hunter dress her kids in soft leather shoes? What do shoes or diapers have to do with anything? I don't want to be someone others think they "understand" based on how I dress.

In real life, no one has asked me about my homeschooling style although recently a few people have assumed I homeschool. I have absolutely no clue what gave them that impression and it disturbed me a bit. What am I doing to look so much like a homeschooler? What does a homeschooling mom look like?

You kind of just described my family. BabyLegs (which i am addicted to those), cloth diapers and soft leather shoes. Although I honestly never ever had the thought that they were a "uniform of an implied personality or value system". I'm addicted to BabyLegs because I think they are cute---what would the implied value system be of putting your kid in leg warmers? I admit there is a value system associated with cloth diapers---usually people who choose that route are concerned with the environmental impact of disposables, the health issues (I know some who use them because their baby is really allergic), or the monetary benefits. I love how much money I have saved cloth diapering my little one, especially since I can compare the pros and cons from using disposables with my older kids. My dd wears the Robeez shoes---again because they are cute imo. And they look comfortable and they're easy to put on squirmy toddlers. I'm not sure what the value system or personality implied would be.

I have conservative Christian friends living in suburban environments who cloth diaper and babywear, I know people with a more "hippieish" attitude doing the same, I have a friend living a very urban fashionista life in NYC doing the same. And then there's me---just a normal small midwestern town kind of life.

Honestly shoes and diapers don't have anything to do with anything. I think you've projected your own thoughts about these things onto others. I'm not trying to be snarky---honestly. Maybe others have the same feelings as you---but I've just never seen it personally.

Maybe people thought you were a homeschooler because they've noticed you and your kids out during "school" hours---usually if people assume I am that's the primary reason.

I wouldn't get bothered if people assume I am---just proudly say "yep-we homeschool."

I believe most people fit into the eclectic category.

I calle myself "Eccentric Eclectic" hence the username. For other people, my mish-mash makes no sense what-so-ever. But it works for us.

I think I can pretty much accurately say we take a little from each philosophy. CM, WTM, unit studies, unschooling, montessori, waldorf, classical, workbook/textbook, computer based, and any others I have probably forgotten. Name a style and I can show you at least one area where we implement it.

I honestly don't really believe in any one philosophy. All tend to have been decided by one person (Steiner, Charlotte Mason etec) who decided "this is the way a child should be taught" and whilst I always tend to agree with some sentiments, there is always one or two things that turn me off one particular style. I don't like the laid-back approach of Waldorf, or the Rigorous boring paperwork of others, certain spiritual beliefs, certain times to implement yada, yada.

I made my own "this is the way a child should be taught" and it mostly involves looking through each style and yanking something out of it that my kids will respond to. Following rules & regulations isn't my forte. Why would I decide upon a certain style only to stress out of my mind over the fact that I didn't do enough narrations this year, or missed out on such and such book, "OMG she used the computer when no-one is ever to use a nasty technological gadget or their education will suffer!" or my child isn't responding to the "one biggest most important in the world reference book for doing this educational style, if you don't use this, your entire world will be destroyed" :lol:

Our family just does what works for us. No explanations, no regrets, and no worries. :tongue_smilie:

Why can't a conservative Christian hunter dress her kids in soft leather shoes?

That'd be me! :D Cloth diapers too (even made them and sold them for a while). I didn't do baby legs. I thought they looked silly. :lol:

I know plenty of conversative Christian hunters who do cloth diapers, babywearing, and soft shoes. ;)

Honestly shoes and diapers don't have anything to do with anything. I think you've projected your own thoughts about these things onto others. I'm not trying to be snarky---honestly. Maybe others have the same feelings as you---but I've just never seen it personally.

I meant it to be a question, not a statement.

Maybe people thought you were a homeschooler because they've noticed you and your kids out during "school" hours

Most medical specialists only give appointments during "school hours," rather than on weekends and at night.

What I'm wondering is -- is part of the reason we are resisting being boxed in is because we don't want to join a group of either woodsprite chasing, uniform wearing, Latin declension intoning, or nature crazy stereotypes? Is there something about those stereotypes that makes us want to reject them?

On the contrary, I think it is wise to investigate edcational philosophies before beginning to pick curricula. People often ask, "Should I try SonLight?" or, "How about Veritas Press?" or "Is XYZ curriculum right for me?" One should first decide whether he agrees with the educational philosophy of the particular company before deciding the use the program for his children.

:iagree:

One of the mistakes I made early on was NOT researching different methods or philosophies. I used the boxed curriculum everyone else was and thought that was it. I think it's best to research philosophies MORE AFTER a year of homeschooling. You'll have an idea of child's abilities and your goals. Not that you need to use a philosophy as a box, it should be a launching pad.

We stuck with the box for three years. Oh, I'd have changed in a heartbeat if I'd known how much was available.

I call our style adapted classical. LCC resonates with me and works well for my son. We modify and tweak as needed. Do I think everyone needs a philosophy to hold onto? No. I do think we need to understand the vision for our children, which can change. I do think we need an end goal in sight, also subject to change.

What I'm wondering is -- is part of the reason we are resisting being boxed in is because we don't want to join a group of either woodsprite chasing, uniform wearing, Latin declension intoning, or nature crazy stereotypes? Is there something about those stereotypes that makes us want to reject them?

I don't know. I think homeschooling makes us different. My family strives on being different, dh and I are weird and quirky, ds was out of luck at the beginning. :D Maybe I do identify with LCC more because it doesn't seem like a box, more a labyrinth. No one person that identifies as an LCCer seems to do the same thing, I like that variety.

Maybe it's the desire to not jump out of the public/private school box and jump into a homeschooling box.

We live across the street from a parking lot. The other I watched about a dozen women (aged 30 to 50 probably) gather together for an outing. They were dressed in almost matching outfits of bright spring colors, capris, jackets, bags. Their hair was perfectly coiffed. It was kind of like watching a casual version of the Stepford Wives. I looked out the window and back at myself. I realized I never want to go back into that kind of box again. The highly coiffed colorful lunch lady crowd. I'm happy with my grey sweatpants and my t-shirts or sweatshirts and curly untamed hair. I realized I don't want to be defined in any way except for as me, the individual. I think homeschooling brings that out in people, the desire to NOT be defined by a group.

I could be way off base, but those are my observations.

:iagree:

One of the mistakes I made early on was NOT researching different methods or philosophies. I used the boxed curriculum everyone else was and thought that was it. I think it's best to research philosophies MORE AFTER a year of homeschooling. You'll have an idea of child's abilities and your goals. Not that you need to use a philosophy as a box, it should be a launching pad.

:iagree: Absolutely!

Great post! Thanks for the link - I've saved it also. :)