Menu

"I need a stiff drink" -- what does this mean?

I always thought it meant "strong"... as in, only a little water and/or ice added to the alcohol. *shrug*

Water & ice to alcohol? Really? Oh...like James Bond...something with ice, shaken, not stirred...I think!

My only experiences with alcohol are beer and wine, and when I ran across the phrase "stiff drink" I wondered exactly what that meant. And figured I would learn more here than via google.

For me, if it doesn't burn something awful on the way down, it's not a stiff drink.

I believe this is what is meant by the expression.

When I use the expression it can mean anything from "DH make me a whiskey sour" to "Let's go to Sonic so I can get a half-priced lemon berry slushy". Then again I don't always use phrases correctly.

It means an alcoholic beverage without a bunch of mixers. So straight, or maybe on the rocks.
Or it could just be mixers and waaay heavy on the alcohol. :D We went out to dinner a couple of weeks ago and I got an espresso martini with dessert. The first half of it was good, and then all of a sudden, holy cow. It became a very stiff drink. I only finished it b/c I paid $9 for it, haha. But wow. I was grimacing with every swallow. I don't know how people can drink something that strong on purpose. :001_huh:

For me, if it doesn't burn something awful on the way down, it's not a stiff drink.

Another vote for strong alcohol...or whatever you might see the Mad Men drinking at work.

We do drink alcohol, so this phrase, to us means: BOOZE straight-up (also called "neat") where you feel the burn all the way down---Scotch, bourbon, vodka-- something strong. Not liquors, they would fall under "having a drink."

Wine, beer, coolers, spritzers, is "having a beer " etc. Insert proper term for your beverage.

Hard alcohol with mixers, margaritas, daiquiris or liquors etc. is "having a drink."

"Stiff drink" ain't for playing. :lol:

Edited by Education Explorers

Durn. I'll try again. Here is the cut and paste from a blog called "Through My Looking Glass," from Sunday April 11, 2010:

a stiff drink, to be **** faced drunk, and the graveyard shift

You must be thinking "what an interesting, albeit slightly inappropriate, title for a blog post, Debby. I wonder what this is about." Don't worry baby birds, I'll feed you.

This post is dedicated to three of the most interesting word origins I learned about on the trip to London and Edinburgh. The first happened in London while in Trafalgar Square, the place where people in London gather whenever anything important happens. This is also the square that at one point had 35,000 pigeons so now the birds are fed contraceptives in their feed...

Our tour guide, Coops, took us to the square and told us about Admiral Nelson, a fierce man who lost an arm and an eye in battle and lead the British fleet to many victories. During one such victory, he was fatally wounded and didn't make it through the fight. Being that he was a war hero, and not a common sailor, he was not given a burial at sea but taken back to England for a war hero's reception and burial. To preserve the body during the weeks of the homeward voyage, the body was folded in half and shoved into a barrel, then the barrel was filled with brandy. Strange, but effective. When they arrived at port and opened the barrel, it was found that the brandy was gone! The people were dumbfounded; how could a corpse drink all the brandy? Or maybe he absorbed it all... they were stumped until they took the body out and noticed the holes in the barrel. Sailors had been drilling small holes in the barrel and drinking the brandy, perhaps after a rough day on the boat, the entire time. So the origin of a drink to help people unwind after work, a stiff drink, comes from the stiff lifeless body that the brandy was preserving... disgusting, yet hilarious. Snipped here.

Cool. That's um, interesting. A nothing useless piece of information I can bring up during conversation.

You have to change the starred word in the link to the appropriate word. ;)

Thank you Mergath. I didn't even look at that.

And for the curios, a working link:

HERE

ETA: I just learn something new. The hive mind will automatically replace that swear world with four stars. I learn something new today, and it didn't even tax my brain.

Durn. I'll try again. Here is the cut and paste from a blog called "Through My Looking Glass," from Sunday April 11, 2010:

a stiff drink, to be **** faced drunk, and the graveyard shift

You must be thinking "what an interesting, albeit slightly inappropriate, title for a blog post, Debby. I wonder what this is about." Don't worry baby birds, I'll feed you.

This post is dedicated to three of the most interesting word origins I learned about on the trip to London and Edinburgh. The first happened in London while in Trafalgar Square, the place where people in London gather whenever anything important happens. This is also the square that at one point had 35,000 pigeons so now the birds are fed contraceptives in their feed...

Our tour guide, Coops, took us to the square and told us about Admiral Nelson, a fierce man who lost an arm and an eye in battle and lead the British fleet to many victories. During one such victory, he was fatally wounded and didn't make it through the fight. Being that he was a war hero, and not a common sailor, he was not given a burial at sea but taken back to England for a war hero's reception and burial. To preserve the body during the weeks of the homeward voyage, the body was folded in half and shoved into a barrel, then the barrel was filled with brandy. Strange, but effective. When they arrived at port and opened the barrel, it was found that the brandy was gone! The people were dumbfounded; how could a corpse drink all the brandy? Or maybe he absorbed it all... they were stumped until they took the body out and noticed the holes in the barrel. Sailors had been drilling small holes in the barrel and drinking the brandy, perhaps after a rough day on the boat, the entire time. So the origin of a drink to help people unwind after work, a stiff drink, comes from the stiff lifeless body that the brandy was preserving... disgusting, yet hilarious. Snipped here.

That is awesome. I enjoyed the rest of the post too. :D

And I agree, hard alcohol with no mixers constitutes a stiff drink.

So if I have a sip of my dh's beer and it burns... I guess no body preserving liquids are to be found in the house! :svengo:

I have to admit that many of the terms in this thread are as foreign to me as those in the epic-lengthed Circe thread on the K-8 board. Maybe I will go to the library... :auto:

Well, for *me*, it means:

1. There will never be enough.

2. Total destruction of my health.

3. Total destruction of my marriage.

4. Loss of respect of my kids.

5. Loss of jobs and job potential.

6. Financial ruin.

But for many, it's simply a euphemism for "this has been a hard day." :lol:

I agree with the other though, alcohol, neat.

:iagree:

Everclear, straight from the bottle would be considered a stiff drink. Don't smoke while drinking.

:lol: I no longer drink, but this brings back memories ... the sort I prefer not to let my kids know about, ahem.:rolleyes: