Menu

WWYD - accidently bought whole coffee beans instead of ground...

That's what I get for speed shopping. I am weighing my options:

1. Take it back next shopping trip and get ground

2. Buy a coffee grinder because once I try it, I'll not want to go back to pre-ground

3. Attempt some sort of coffee grinding experiment without a grinder (blender? grater? mortar and pestle? hammer?)

WWYD?

Thanks!

Pegasus

I put them in a pretty bowl or vase and set it somewhere in the house. Coffee beans absorb odors. I have a hurricane vase full of coffee beans with a french vanilla candle (in a glass jar) buried in them. Smells divine!

I bought our coffee grinder at the thrift store. The sticker on the bottom says $3, but I probably paid less :D

I will never never never go back to buying ground coffee. If I can't grind it at home, I will use the grinder at the store. Amen.

The correct answer is:

2. Buy a coffee grinder because once I try it, I'll not want to go back to pre-ground

There is simply no comparison between pre-ground beans and freshly ground ones.

Bill

This. We are coffee snoots, but live where EVERYONE drinks espresso. You can't throw a rock without hitting a coffee shop. You can get a cheap grinder, or something like a Capresso that has a bean hopper and you turn a dial and grind only what you need.

4. Take this as your sign to kick the habit and give up coffee. Switch to tea. ;)

Oh, we drink tea daily and go through gallons of tea in this house. Coffee is actually a weekend treat.

It looks like most of the responses so far are to buy a grinder or use the in-store grinder. I'm looking forward to trying it!

Pegasus

Use your blender until you can grind it at the store or buy a grinder.

The house we vacation at has a regular coffee pot, but we do not have a grinder up there. Before we go, I blend half full mason jars of beans, then put the lid on. That way I can just take it with me and I don't have to worry about it. I have a beehive Oster and the base will screw onto a mason jar.

(Our grinder grinds too small of an amount at one time to process enough for a vacation)

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I bought our coffee grinder at the thrift store. The sticker on the bottom says $3, but I probably paid less :D

I will never never never go back to buying ground coffee. If I can't grind it at home, I will use the grinder at the store. Amen.

Amen. This is a sacred topic to be taken seriously.

That's what I get for speed shopping. I am weighing my options:

1. Take it back next shopping trip and get ground

3. Attempt some sort of coffee grinding experiment without a grinder (blender? grater? mortar and pestle? hammer?)

WWYD?

Thanks!

Pegasus

Get a nice little grinder. I have a little red Kitchenaid that unfortunately appears to have undergone a design change. I hope it holds out a while longer. It comes apart in 3 pieces making it super easy to clean when I use it for other things.

I use mine for milling flax seed also (which I keep in the freezer). You can also use them for spices.

I would hate to have to clean a blender every time I had to grind a couple TBS of something. My coffee grinder earns its cabinet space.

The correct answer is:

There is simply no comparison between pre-ground beans and freshly ground ones.

Bill

:iagree:

Then get a French press. It's far superior to a drip method.

OH, funny. I got a different brand of coffee as a treat for my husband for Christmas, and forgot to grind the darn beans at the store. I took them back to the store and ground them. I don't want a whole 'nother process, to making coffee. Tempted but not there yet. SO, if I see a really nice grinder at a thrift shop.....I did see a cool coffee maker that ground the beans and made the coffee all itself, with a timer....tempting.

Get a grinder. We actually have two, because I like flavored coffees and dh doesn't. If we grind the beans in the same grinder his beans wind up tasting like my flavored ones!

Oh, and both grinders live on the counter, though I am down to only using mine for a once-a-week decaf treat now that I'm knocked up. :D

OH, funny. I got a different brand of coffee as a treat for my husband for Christmas, and forgot to grind the darn beans at the store. I took them back to the store and ground them. I don't want a whole 'nother process, to making coffee. Tempted but not there yet. SO, if I see a really nice grinder at a thrift shop.....I did see a cool coffee maker that ground the beans and made the coffee all itself, with a timer....tempting.

Whadda you mean a whole 'nother process? You grind the beans, dump 'em in a French press, pour in hot water, steep, plunge, pour, drink.

Easy! :D

Bill

Get a grinder. We actually have two, because I like flavored coffees and dh doesn't. If we grind the beans in the same grinder his beans wind up tasting like my flavored ones!

because one is for spices and I don't like clove-chipotle-caraway coffee... :D

I did this - I simply put the coffee in the blender. I discovered that here is a very fine line between too course and too fine, when it comes to coffee. That said, if I'd been a little more cautious, it might have worked well. The coffee I ended up in is too fine for my espresso machine - the water won't pump through it - but I figure it's really just an opportunity to try making Greek / Turkish / Arabic coffee on the stove!