Menu

s/o: How did all of you in cross-cultural marriages meet your spouses?

Reading the thread about deciding to move from Switzerland to the US made me wonder how all of you in that are in cross cultural marriages actually got together with your spouses?

Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I envision all sorts of great love stories here. :)

We met online -- Yahoo personals. I was in my last year of college, he had just graduated college and was working about an hour away from where I was going to school. By our second date, I *knew.* DH is Russian, but had been here for 5 years when I met him. No chance of going back either. His family moved here to get away from Russia!

Reading the thread about deciding to move from Switzerland to the US made me wonder how all of you in that are in cross cultural marriages actually got together with your spouses?

Maybe it's the romantic in me, but I envision all sorts of great love stories here. :)

Not in a cross-cultural marriage, but we have some friends from church that met in Switzerland when she was there for a semester. They became close and stayed friends after she left to come back to the USA. They later married and now have two almost grown children. It is a sweet story. :) You just never know!

My DH (Canadian) moved to the States with his family shortly after graduating from HS (his dad, who is a US citizen, got a job here), and we met at college. He wants to go back some day, but it's not looking to be in the cards any time soon.

We met online -LDS Singles Online Group or something.

He flew out to visit me (from Canada) and we got engaged.

It's not terrible romantic -he asked me to marry him in an email :glare:

Been married 10 years now -almost 11.

:lol::lol: I thought Australian men were supposed to be the world's least romantic. :lol::lol:

We had mutual friends.

They knew him from a prior duty station and they knew me from being regulars at my restaurant. Those friends and I had a standing weekly karaoke date, and one night they showed up with him. He was stationed overseas at the time, but was home on leave for three weeks. He attached himself to me like white on rice, and we married shortly after.

Not so romantic, really; he had decent people vouching for him so I felt okay abut it, and I was cute enough that he was willing to accept whatever quirks were hiding under that packaging LOL. We still visit those friends 3-5 times each year, to continue our shared love for bad K-Pop karaoke :D Our kids love hearing those friends talk about us in our early years!

:lol::lol: I thought Australian men were supposed to be the world's least romantic. :lol::lol:

Believe me Rosie - I had plenty of Aussie boyfriends before I met my DH - all of them not nearly as romantically challenged :lol:

Last year for Mother's Day DH bought me -teatowels -from Coles - because it was the last store open at 9.50pm Saturday night :glare:

On my first birthday after we were married he bought me a plastic cannister of straws -because he knew I liked to drink from a straw rather then an open bottle or can. Kind of thoughtful - I guess :lol:

After that I now write him a list and tell him not to deviate

He is doing better - last Christmas he bought me a Kindle and a breadmaker with a GF cycle because he knew I was starting a GF diet - I almost died from the shock - after 10 years he has finally graduated from training school :lol:

DH (german-canadian) and I met via an old instant messaging system online. Anyone remember ICQ? There used to be a 'random chat' button and one evening I pressed it. :) After a few months of daily chatting I road tripped to meet him in person over spring break, we each drove about 800 miles to meet halfway. My friends and family thought I was crazy, but we married 18 months later, and 12 years after that, here we are.

I'm the poster of the other thread, and we have one of those adorable romantic stories. :-)

I studied abroad for my last semester of university- I went to the south of France because I'd been studying French since high school and figured I would never really know the language without living there.

As part of the program, we had to join a local club, so I joined the local rock climbing club, as I was a big climber at the time. Climbing in the south of France is beautiful beyond all imagination. I decided to blow my entire budget to hire a guide and go out and climb in the Calanques, which are these rocky white cliffs over the Mediterranean.

The guide already had a client that week, but he gave the guy a call, who agreed that I could join in. The other client was my future husband.

So we spent a week climbing around the cliffs near Marseilles, having fun and preventing each other from falling to our deaths.

Every weekend for the rest of my stay in France, future DH drove 6+ hours from his place to mine to see me, and when I left to go home, he convinced me to apply for a master's program at the university near him. I got accepted... and the rest is history.

I met my Swiss husband while skiing at Whistler (a resort in Canada). A couple of friends and I drove up from Seattle to watch a Men's World Cup Downhill event. (This was right after the Lillehammer Olympics in '94 and I was in groupie mode, looking to hang out with the ski teams.;)) My dh had spent the previous year backpacking across Canada and was living and working for a few months on Vancouver Island. He was over at Whistler for a few days of skiing. We actually met at the youth hostel. He told me he was a dairy farmer and I got a huge kick out of what I thought was a joke.:D

After we'd visited back and forth a grand total of two weeks or so, I scrapped my plans to go teach English in Slovakia and instead moved in with Hans. A month later I was pregnant, and a few months after that we were married in Switzerland in the middle of a day of skiing. We skipped the wedding bit, but had at a party at a castle overlooking Luzern. Yes, it all sounds very romantic so in the interest of full disclosure I'll add that despite our successful business and five wonderful boys we've had a tough time since the very beginning.

Edited by Colleen

I dragged my future husband back to my place after meeting him in an Irish pub in Milan.

He was the one night stand who wouldn't leave and insisted on spending the next two months wooing me into submission over the issue of actually having a relationship with him, in the vertical sense of the word, during my beer-free hours.

That was 17 years ago.

And all I can say is he is lucky he won me over BEFORE I met his mother.

(trails in last in the "most romantic story" stakes)

I dragged my future husband back to my place after meeting him in an Irish pub in Milan.

He was the one night stand who wouldn't leave and insisted on spending the next two months wooing me into submission over the issue of actually having a relationship with him, in the vertical sense of the word, during my beer-free hours.

That was 17 years ago.

Ah, yes. Pubs, hostels, one-night stands...the lovely things at the heart of a cross-cultural marriage.:D

Dh was working on an atoll in the middle of the Pacific. The local school hired 8 new teachers (including me) & (according to dh) our arrival caused a lot of excitement in the small expat community. I met dh at the local pizza pub & invited him (a complete stranger) to join me for pizza as I was hoping that his presence would discourage the locals who were searching for an expat wife :tongue_smilie: A year later I was pregnant & 5 month after that our wedding made the front page of the local newpaper :D I like to tell our dc that we have stayed together so long because for the first year I couldn't understand most of what he said :lol: Dh was know as the Kiwi that even the Kiwis couldn't understand. :lol: Twenty years later our marriage is still strong & we regularly consult our Kiwi-Yankee dictionary as needed.

My Dh had traveled around the world for a fey years, He came to Australia with a residency visa and a job, and while traveling around found a nice little property way out in the country , right by the beach that was very cheep. He bought it. It is 15 minutes form where I grew up. I met him very shortly after that as I was learning to drive and my car wouldn't idle ( I had bought the car that week), he happened to be doing some odd jobs for the person who was teaching me to drive. She took me around to her house and asked future Dh if he could see why my car wouldn't idle. when he looked at the motor he started laughing and said that he would never have bought a car with such a dust filled motor. Little did he know that within 12 months, He would be married to me and be rebuilding that very same car motor.

We have been maried for 19 years, have built a beut house on his property and had 5 children.

He still only has residency for Australia and tells me he doesn't want to get Aus citizenship. I have promised him that if ever Canada and Australia declare war on each other, I will visit him in internment camps.

I like to tell our dc that we have stayed together so long because for the first year I couldn't understand most of what he said

LOL, this is pretty much the way is was for us. DH still doesn't speak much English and I arrived here with about three words of Italian.

Not sure it is completely untrue even today. We can have huge rows only to discover three days later that I misunderstood him (or him me) and the whole row was based on somebody having the hump with something the other didn't actually say. Presumably some of the worst rows never happen at all cos one of us didn't register a trigger for a bust up due to it being in the "wrong" language.

LOL, this is pretty much the way is was for us. DH still doesn't speak much English and I arrived here with about three words of Italian.

Not sure it is completely untrue even today. We can have huge rows only to discover three days later that I misunderstood him (or him me) and the whole row was based on somebody having the hump with something the other didn't actually say. Presumably some of the worst rows never happen at all cos one of us didn't register a trigger for a bust up due to it being in the "wrong" language.

But dh & I both think we speak English ;) The problem is we don't speak the same English. The best /worst example is when we had this huge discussion turned disagreement over what "cyclone" meant. I thought our dc were going to die from laughing at us :lol: Our dc can translate when necessary now :tongue_smilie:

I think sometimes, my marriage could use this element. Unfortunately, my dh speaks perfect English, as he emegrated to the US in 1st grade. ;)

I don't really think we're that cross-cultural, as he's not been back to Malaysia since he was 12, but in case we qualify for the OP, we met at work. We didn't date when we worked in the same office. We waited to get interested in each other when we were working on opposite coasts. Every 2nd or 3rd weekend, one of us would fly out to see the other. Luckily he lived near corp. headquarters, so a few of my trips West were on the company's dime! Eventually he hired back to the same office I was in, and the relationship progressed.

ETA:

Total aside: Jenny, of course you beat him in math. We are so handicapped with the way we name our numbers in English! I make my kids do their arithmetic in Mandarin because it has a sensible naming of the numbers!

Edited by nono

Funny, my kids are convinced I taught my husband English after we got married. Snort.

I met my husband through friends. I had zero interest in his culture (not hostile, just no interest) so that was not a "draw" per se.

Hah! That's funny. My oldest son thought for years as a tot that his dad didn't speak English (because he only speaks German to him). He even offered to teach DH how to speak English. For whatever reason it took him awhile to notice that Dad only spoke English to Mom (because I don't speak German).

My husband tells them all the time that he doesn't speak English and then turns and talks to me in English.

However, we once had a pediatrician say -- with a straight face!-- to tell the kids he doesn't speak English. Great idea. Except that this conversation was being conducted in English -- that doesn't make sense since the kids' doctors don't speak their other language. And I don't generally speak it either unless talking to those who don't speak English. So we don't have a monolingual home.

But I had some guy in a waiting room ask me what my first language was. I ended up being upset. Do I no longer talk like myself? Why do people think I have some accent? I have heard myself on tape and....I just don't hear it. It is freaking me out.

Oddly I don't hear my husband's accent anymore. I only realize it when other people ask him about it. He always says, "I don't have an accent, everyone else does." ;)

I hear his accent because some words he says sound like a different word, and I have to think of what he is saying. But when someone says to him, "Ah! I hear you have an accent!" he always replies by saying, "You have one too! Are you from Ohio?" or wherever he thinks they are from.

That was 17 years ago.

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the belly laugh this morning!

I met my dh when he started coming to my church AND taking classes at the college I was attending. We noticed each other because we suddenly started seeing each other *everywhere*. :lol: His parents had come to the states during his jr/sr year in hs and he got his green card and stayed when they left. He traveled a bit after hs grad.

My dh is Dutch/French and grew up between Europe/SE Asia and spent time as an adult in Haiti. English is his 5th language but he speaks it well...he just cannot SPELL. :)

I was dating someone from church who had a best friend who had a gorgeous British accent. My knees buckled when I heard the accent, and the rest is history. Unromantically, however, I did demand a green card before I would consider dinner out.

:001_huh:

I'm the poster of the other thread, and we have one of those adorable romantic stories. :-)

I studied abroad for my last semester of university- I went to the south of France because I'd been studying French since high school and figured I would never really know the language without living there.

As part of the program, we had to join a local club, so I joined the local rock climbing club, as I was a big climber at the time. Climbing in the south of France is beautiful beyond all imagination. I decided to blow my entire budget to hire a guide and go out and climb in the Calanques, which are these rocky white cliffs over the Mediterranean.

The guide already had a client that week, but he gave the guy a call, who agreed that I could join in. The other client was my future husband.

So we spent a week climbing around the cliffs near Marseilles, having fun and preventing each other from falling to our deaths.

Every weekend for the rest of my stay in France, future DH drove 6+ hours from his place to mine to see me, and when I left to go home, he convinced me to apply for a master's program at the university near him. I got accepted... and the rest is history.

*contented sigh* I love stories like this. Thanks for making my morning!

My husband is Guatemalan; I am from the US. I met when he visited our Sunday School class. At the time, my husband spoke almost no English, but he had a Puerto Rican friend in my class. Since I had majored in Spanish, his friend asked me to sit with him (my now husband) while he (the friend) had to play music for the church. (My husband had only been in the US for a couple of years at that point.)

My now husband asked for my phone number. We went on a date the following Sunday after church. I started attending the Spanish language church services he went to in the afternoon (with him), and we would go out to eat on Sunday evenings afterwords. We also went to the park a lot, or just hung out together watching videotapes at my parents' house (where I was living--I was 23). We have now been married about 20 years.

We will most likely always live in the US, but there is a possibility that we might someday live in Guatemala.

Edited by Spock

Hah! That's funny. My oldest son thought for years as a tot that his dad didn't speak English (because he only speaks German to him). He even offered to teach DH how to speak English. For whatever reason it took him awhile to notice that Dad only spoke English to Mom (because I don't speak German).

My two oldest didn't know their father could speak English at all until they were around 7-8 years old. To help them become bilingual we always had a rule "You have to talk to Papi in Spanish", and they thought it was because that was the only language he knew. (To be fair, his English was very shaky in the early years.)

My younger two heard their father using English with clients over the phone, and heard the older two (and occasionally me) using English with him sometimes, so they figured out he was bilingual much earlier. And, of course, he was already fluent (except for a pretty strong accent and occasional odd grammar or vocabulary) by the time they were born.

I'm British and Husband is American. We met at a party when we both lived in Taiwan. My flatmates and I held the party to meet men. Husband was invited, but didn't realise it was meant to be a small do, so brought lots of friends. It all got quite rowdy and one of our neighbours objected by throwing an open tin of yellow paint through a window. It spattered all over the floor, one wall and a lot of rattan furniture. Husband attended with another girl in tow. He was not one of the people who turned up the next morning to help us clear up....

Nonetheless, we have been happily together for 24 years and have lived in five countries, including both of our passport countries, over that time. Life is throwing some things at us at the moment (unemployment) but the one thing that is never rocked is our relationship.

Laura

I met my Swiss husband while skiing at Whistler (a resort in Canada). A couple of friends and I drove up from Seattle to watch a Men's World Cup Downhill event. (This was right after the Lillehammer Olympics in '94 and I was in groupie mode, looking to hang out with the ski teams.;)) My dh had spent the previous year backpacking across Canada and was living and working for a few months on Vancouver Island. He was over at Whistler for a few days of skiing. We actually met at the youth hostel. He told me he was a dairy farmer and I got a huge kick out of what I thought was a joke.:D

After we'd visited back and forth a grand total of two weeks or so, I scrapped my plans to go teach English in Slovakia and instead moved in with Hans. A month later I was pregnant, and a few months after that we were married in Switzerland in the middle of a day of skiing. We skipped the wedding bit, but had at a party at a castle overlooking Luzern. Yes, it all sounds very romantic so in the interest of full disclosure I'll add that despite our successful business and five wonderful boys we've had a tough time since the very beginning.

Waving hello and sending a big :grouphug:

Ah, yes. Pubs, hostels, one-night stands...the lovely things at the heart of a cross-cultural marriage.:D
:lol::iagree:

We met on a street. :tongue_smilie: Really.

We both lived in Israel at that time. I lived in a new development that had only one bus an hour. Which I missed that day and walked, hoping to catch a taxi.

I saw him at a stoplight, in his work van. Our eyes locked and it was definitely The Moment. It was like we already knew each other. :001_smile:

He offered me a ride, we exchanged phone numbers and he didn't wait 2 days to call.

We've been married for 12 years so far.

DH is American and I am Canadian, but we met in grad school in Kansas. He was my labmate and then when I wanted to rent a nice big house, I asked him if he would move in with me to share the rent because I knew he liked big dogs and my dogs liked him. Well, we started doing everything together like groceries, we bought shared patio furniture, basically only went to dinners and movies with each other. So, essentially we were married before we started dating. We lived together for over a year before we realized we were more than just best friends, and yesterday was our 8th anniversary. So far we have only lived in the US, but are moving the family to Australia, and have agreed that if we ever come back to North America it will be back to Canada.

I met dh at university. He was doing his MBA and I was finishing up my BS. We don't have any cute dating stories at all and we both speak each other's language fluently so we haven't had any linguistic kerfuffles. We speak Spanglish together, so occasionally dh sounds a bit like Ricky Ricardo and I have had a few Lucy sized kitchen disasters, but we've been together for 23 years and weathered lots of storms. After all, what would life be without someone shouting, "Mujer, where's the (insert object directly in dh's sightline which he hasn't noticed)?!?" :D

It has been really fun to read everyone's stories. :) My husband and I off from different parts of the U.S., but that's all. However, our two oldest children have cross-cultural marriages.

Our son was traveling across Europe on his bike. During the winter months, he got a job in Germany working on the maintenance team at a little college. On the day of his arrival, he went into the cafeteria to eat dinner, and there was only one seat empty -- across from his future wife. She was going to school there at the time, though is originally from Canada.

Our daughter was going to school in Costa Rica. Her future husband was going to school there, too. He is from Costa Rica and that's where they make their home. :)

My marriage isn't cross-cultural (although my younger brothers were convinced I was going to marry a "German hunk" when I worked in Germany after college!), but my parents' is ... they met in a church choir in Berkeley. My father, from just-post-war Korea (his uni was meeting in tents put up by U.S. soldiers), was offered a one-year scholarship to UC Berkeley courtesy of the Army Officers' Wives Club (thank you!!!). My mother had already been learning his language at Cal. She wanted adventure -- was signed up to teach in Korea. Instead she got someone who wanted to stay in the U.S. and acts like a tourist now when he goes back LOL. People tell me he has an accent, but I don't hear it; he just sounds like Dad. :001_smile:

One of my brothers married a Chinese young woman who was a (mature) grad student in one of his classes when he was a guest lecturer at Stanford. At first he was going to learn Mandarin, but has pretty much given up. He is fluent in Korean, which his wife was going to learn, but she's pretty much given up too LOL.

We have many friends in "mixed" marriages and I always find their stories interesting. Some of the most exotic are Philippine-Bosnian (gorgeous children! ... met in Boston) and Japanese-Venezuelan (met in Switzerland, live in CA, spend the summers in Japan where the children attend Japanese schools for the summer).

Fun thread!

Dh and I met when he was an exchange student at my high school. I didn't think he was my type as he was a terrible flirt at the time. We remained friends though and he actually came to my wedding when I married someone else. :001_huh: We kept in contact all those years and when my first marriage fell apart he said he "didn't want to let me get away again". :001_wub: We've been married 15 years now.

My Jamaican dh and I met both working near Stuttgart, Germany. He was in the military and I was a civilian nurse hired by the military hospital. We worked in a newborn nursery/intermediate care nursery. I joke about meeting a man who could change diapers . . .

Believe me Rosie - I had plenty of Aussie boyfriends before I met my DH - all of them not nearly as romantically challenged

Last year for Mother's Day DH bought me -teatowels -from Coles - because it was the last store open at 9.50pm Saturday night

On my first birthday after we were married he bought me a plastic cannister of straws -because he knew I liked to drink from a straw rather then an open bottle or can. Kind of thoughtful - I guess

After that I now write him a list and tell him not to deviate

He is doing better - last Christmas he bought me a Kindle and a breadmaker with a GF cycle because he knew I was starting a GF diet - I almost died from the shock - after 10 years he has finally graduated from training school

:lol::lol:

Your story gave me the warm fuzzies. :D:D

That was 17 years ago.

:tongue_smilie::D:lol:

we went to graduate school together.

I am Chinese from Taiwan, He is a red head from New Hampshire

and for the record, I beat him in math when we took the class together

:D

Aw, thank you everyone for sharing your stories! They have made my night! I hadn't gotten a chance to get back and read them all because I had a really busy day, but I finally sat down and pulled this thread back up and I have had such a good time reading all the responses!