Menu

Would you ever homeschool?- article

Why wouldn't a homeschooled child know how to drink from a juice box? :confused:

Now, I do have to admit that my DD didn't know how to open a Capri Sun pouch fairly recently, I think it was at a party or BBQ. I wouldn't ever buy that kind of HFCS- and chemical-laden stuff. But a regular juice box even my 3 y.o. autistic child knows how to drink from...

Gee...we have parties at co-op at least 4 times a year or so, and the kids don't seem to have any problem with juice boxes, or pouches, for that matter. Not once they're past, oh, 5 or so.

Although I have noticed that my DD's response to most food packages is to go get a pair of scissors, not to look for the nick to pull them open, presumably a response to NOT eating in a school cafeteria, where you're not allowed bladed "weapons" :).

LOL - my kids may not be perfect with a drink box (nor am I), but they do know how to use a knife. ;)

When my kids were tots, I don't know how many times I was warned that I'd better let them watch TV or they would not know who Mickey Mouse was. (I was also told that TV was where kids learn their letters.) Fast forward to their first day of preschool, and magic amaze-o, they learned about both Mickey Mouse and Spiderman in record time! Yippee, a life of doom avoided.

Where do people get these silly ideas?

LOL - my kids may not be perfect with a drink box (nor am I), but they do know how to use a knife. ;)

When my kids were tots, I don't know how many times I was warned that I'd better let them watch TV or they would not know who Mickey Mouse was. (I was also told that TV was where kids learn their letters.) Fast forward to their first day of preschool, and magic amaze-o, they learned about both Mickey Mouse and Spiderman in record time! Yippee, a life of doom avoided.

Where do people get these silly ideas?

:lol:

I just had to laugh, DD knew who Mickey Mouse was before she was 2 - he's on her diapers. (Huggies). Though, for the longest time, she called him 'Baby Mouse'. :lol:

Now, she absolutely loves Minnie. Though she still calls her Mickey from time to time... but she still hasn't seen them on tv. :lol:

Very nice article. I'm still new to homeschooling and still half questioning whether my kids will be juice-box deficient, so to speak. (Nobody get mad - it's my own self-doubt.)

Honestly, it was when I found this site that I started thinking we'd be ok.

(Actually, my first two kids had juice boxes (the all-fruit-juice kind) quite a bit when they were toddlers. That article reminded me how I'd have to race to see whether I could get the straws in their mouths before they grabbed the boxes, sending juice shooting everywhere. :) It was frustrating then, but it's a fun memory now.)

I still have problems with juice boxes - especially when I have been drinking a squirt-bottle of water the moment before.

But then, I'm a homeschool graduate so maybe I shouldn't talk :tongue_smilie:

All in all, I thought the article was refreshing :)

Yes, at least it wasn't completely negative as most articles about homeschooling tend to be. I have heard the juice box argument, but about cardboard milk cartons instead.

Yes, at least it wasn't completely negative as most articles about homeschooling tend to be. I have heard the juice box argument, but about cardboard milk cartons instead.

I sent my son to private prek and K just so he'd have the milk carton skill. I now homeschool so we can study why not to pick the pink milk (which we laughed at in the store the other day).

We almost always have juice boxes around for a quick grab and go drink....and every birthday party we have been to included capri suns. My kids could handle a juice box by three with out making a mess....unless they are purposely making a mess.:confused:

For those of you who are juice box challenged - flip up the side flaps before you stick the straw in. It makes a little bit of extra room in the box and it's less likely to squirt out. My 4 and 6 year olds have known this trick for at least a year.

Interesting article but she probably should have reworded a few things to get her idea across better. She did seem somewhat wishy-washy and apologetic about her decision.

To be fair, I think the author tried to poke fun of the idea that something like "juice box skills" is an actual worry in terms of reasons to send your kid to school and follow along with what is typically done (and not dare to think of something like *gasp* homeschooling as a good option). Unfortunately, the piece came out sounding like she was still apologizing for changing her mind and the focus was too much on the icky/dumb opinions surrounding the choice to homeschool. She should have started out with the fact she changed her mind.

I didn't think she was still apologizing. And I think giving away part of the story is, well, giving it away. I liked hearing how it started and wondering how it would turn out.

For those of you who are juice box challenged - flip up the side flaps before you stick the straw in. It makes a little bit of extra room in the box and it's less likely to squirt out. My 4 and 6 year olds have known this trick for at least a year.

I never heard that it made extra room in the box. How is that possible? I just thought it was less likely to spill because the kids were holding the flaps and not squeezing the box. :glare:

I never knew this, and I went to regular school. I am feeling really let down by my education now. :lol:

Yes, I'm so sad my kids cannot handle juice boxes. Pathetic.

Ok...I read the rest of the article. Less pathetic. LOL

I dunno, I get it. It's amazing what can make an impression on you when you're a new parent or before you are a parent. :)

I have trouble with wine boxes. :tongue_smilie: I hope my adult peers will still accept me. :grouphug:

I have had trouble with ring pull ginger beer since I got pregnant with dd. My nearest and dearest laugh and open them for me. Who knew that was a skill preggie/mamma brain could kill? :001_huh::lol:

Rosie

I have trouble with wine boxes. :tongue_smilie: I hope my adult peers will still accept me. :grouphug:

I don't know about the boxes, but my ds watched me try to uncork a bottle I bought not realizing my corkscrew was not here but in storage. I kept the cork as a reward. I'm sticking to the screw top for a while.

It would seem that few of us read the article all the way through to the part where she:

Is homeschooling her children (one with ld and one advanced)

Pokes fun at her old assumptions?

This is one of the more positive mainstream articles I have seen on hs. She is local to me. The schools are not great, and middle school is especially bad. She is making a choice that many of us have made after all.

Oh no, I read it. I am with her. I thought HSed kids were a bit odd. Then again, not sure I've changed on that either. Oh well.

I think there is a bit of a chicken and egg question with this. My homeschooled son is a bit odd and quirky. That contributed to what led us to home school. Certainly not the case with all homeschoolers but it is a factor at play. Nearly all of the kids at his homeschool classes are a bit quirky in some way. Most of the parents I know there did not set out to homeschool.

Do they come with a straw? Stick the straw in your mouth before you squeeze the box. ;)

(And yes, I do realize wine boxes do not have straws... but wouldn't that be handy and practical sometimes? :lol:)

I think there is a bit of a chicken and egg question with this. My homeschooled son is a bit odd and quirky. That contributed to what led us to home school. Certainly not the case with all homeschoolers but it is a factor at play. Nearly all of the kids at his homeschool classes are a bit quirky in some way. Most of the parents I know there did not set out to homeschool.

:iagree: Exactly. I think parents of out of the box or quirky kids just tend to pick homeschooling more than kids that fit wonderfully in a school environment, which shouldn't be too big of surprise. My oldest went to 2 years of PS. Turns out there are socially and physically awkward kids in school too. Can you imagine!? :D Both my kids do well with juice boxes however.

Do they come with a straw? Stick the straw in your mouth before you squeeze the box. ;)

(And yes, I do realize wine boxes do not have straws... but wouldn't that be handy and practical sometimes? :lol:)

:thumbup1: Love this idea. Sign me up for one of those!

It just dawned on me that the only time my kids get juice boxes aside from other people's parties is when I am running late to homeschool group classes and have not packed a full meal...I keep backup juice boxes, zbars and similar in the car. So homeschool is increasing their juice box IQs.

My quirky kid would have had the ever-lovin' quirkiness plucked out of him in public school. I love that he has been able to embrace his uniqueness without fear of assimilation. It wasn't the reason we chose to homeschool, but it's a great perk. My public school experience was similar to the Borg, as long as you look like everyone else, talk like everyone else, and think like everyone else you'll be okay. It took me a long time to realize it was okay to be yourself, even if that is different than someone else. Plus we don't have to get up at 6am, that was a wonderful side bonus.

Edited by elegantlion
sangria kickin' in, correcting grammar.

My quirky kid would have had the ever-lovin' quirkiness plucked out of him in public school. I love that he has been able to embrace his uniqueness without fear of assimilation. It wasn't the reason we chose to homeschool, but it's a great perk. My public school experience was similar to the Borg, as long as you look like everyone else, talk like everyone else, and think like everyone else you'll be okay. It took me a long time to realize it was okay to be yourself, even if that is different than someone else. Plus we don't have to get up at 6am, that was a wonderful side bonus.

Exactly, there are quirky kids in school but from what I saw with my son they were the kids that were miserable. Better quirky and happy at home than quirky at school and someone's physical and emotional punching bag.