Menu

Does anyone else ever feel like they need a Fun Fluff Book A Week thread?

No? Just me?

:P

I gamely post on the 52 Books thread most weeks. But you are all probably way too intellectual for me lol. You're all always reading something really, well, smart.

And I'm reading, well, fun. Laurel K. Hamilton and J.R. Ward (you know, vampire erotica and stuff), and Stephen King (I'm loving 11/22/63 right now...LOVING it)... but I feel like an invisible alien half the time posting what I'm reading in that thread lol. Last year it was all kid's books, and this year it's mostly just fluff so far heh. (Not that I seriously wanted to start another book a week thread. I'm just blathering lol).

Anyone else out there like what I like? :D

Edited by NanceXToo

Totally must have fluff in order to stay sane! I'm a huge fan of James Patterson, and have read most of his books. I really love the Alex Cross books (Alex's Cross' Trial is a great Civil Rights book for your older kids to read, and has nothing to do w/ the mystey series). I love his series for youth too. Maximum Ride series is great! I also like J.A. Jance mysteries, especially the Johanna Brady and J.P. Beaumont mysteries.

Oh, and I love the Warrior series by Erin Hunter. See, you aren't the only one that reads kid's books!

I think you should start a 52 week fluff series. I would definitely participate in that one!

:seeya: Not just you.

I have so much stressful stuff going on with my elderly parents that I absolutely CRAVE fluff to read. There are days I have to watch my mom, and if she's sleeping, I'm reading!

I am currently flying through Switched (Trylle Trilogy Book 1) by Amanda Hocking. I have already read her vampire series, My Blood Approves. I love Julia Quinn for fluffy Regency romance, Karen Marie Moning for some Fae love, and Colleen Gleason for Regency vampire slayers!

No? Just me?

I gamely post on the 52 Books thread most weeks. But you are all probably way too intellectual for me lol. You're all always reading something really, well, smart.

And I'm reading, well, fun. Laurel K. Hamilton and J.R. Ward (you know, vampire erotica and stuff), and Stephen King (I'm loving 11/22/63 right now...LOVING it)... but I feel like an invisible alien half the time posting what I'm reading in that thread lol. Last year it was all kid's books, and this year it's mostly just fluff so far heh. (Not that I seriously wanted to start another book a week thread. I'm just blathering lol).

I loved 11/22/63. I think SK keeps getting better and better. I tend to cycle through different genres. I *need* a good fluff book once in a while (sometimes more than once in a while). I also read kids books - last year it was the Hunger Games trilogy, this year I read all the Gregor the Overlander books. I also try to read as many Canadian lit books from the long and short list of the Giller Prize. I aim for a few non-fiction books each year.

I love fluff from time to time :D. Ideally, I would alternate fluff and non-fluff.

I don't think anyone should be hard on themselves about that. I seldom read classics these days or particularly heavy stuff. There will come a time when I will read some classics again, but not now.

None of us should feel guilty about reading. I myself would feel guilty for not reading at all. I just can't understand people who never read :confused:. I always have some reading material with me pretty much anywhere I go. It's up to each of us what we choose to read and we should read what brings us joy and happiness. If a classic is going to get you frustrated or whatever, put it aside and consider reading it later - that's my take on it. :)

I don't know how I feel about starting a separate thread altogether. I would just continue to post on the current one. I have posted many of my fluff books there and have never felt guilty about it and/or I don't think I've felt the need to apologize about my reading choice.

No? Just me?

I mix my fun and fluff right in with my serious non-fiction. This week I am reading Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine is Making Us Sicker and Poorer and then I have 11/22/63 queued for next week. I am finding that I am reading more fiction over the last year than I have since I was a teen.

Most definitely untrue.

You know, you should try actually reading the book a week thread. People admit to liking Twilight on there, ya know. :lol: The last 8 books I've read were detective stories!

Rosie

I post on the 52 books too and I'm definitely not as serious a reader as lots of the ladies. Most of what I read are very quick reads, usually books I finish in a day or no more than two. I'm trying to read through a huge book, Sword of Shannara, which I haven't read in umpteen years. I love the book but I've lost patience to go through thick books. I've picked up an Aspergers book that I'm trying to read but I don't read such books quickly either. So tomorrow I'm going to knock out another Cat Who book by Lillian Jackson Braun. :)

Some people read to learn. I just read for pleasure. Short, easy books are brain candy to most but they are what pleases me most right now. Nope, no Moby Dick for me! Egads!

Oh, and I'll add that 8 times out of 10, I would choose a kids book over an adult book. I reread Mysterious Benedict Society for the 52 books thread, and I'm ready to pick up the next one. I think I'll read that after the Cat Who book. :)

Edited by Night Elf

I stopped posting there because I just read fluff or children's books....but I have been keeping track and last year read 56 books but this year I am already up to 16. So it definetly gave me an incentive to read more than I was 2 years ago.

You should post there :). Seriously. Fluff, children's books, it's all reading anyway. It's not called the "Classics-a-Week Thread" or something. ;)

No? Just me?

I simply cannot do a book a week. I read far too slowly and fall asleep far too easily :glare: I have read about 50 books in a year but that is often because I'm reading more than one book at a time and I sometimes include what I'm reading aloud to my son.

But, I also can't just read "intellectual" books. I need my fun, fluffy books too. It's usually in the form of something silly & light - like Prachett or Fforde or a light Brit. mystery.

I've been reading predominately fluff these days. And I make no apologies for it.

Patricia Briggs, Seanan McGuire, Jim Butcher, Jeaniene Frost, Mark del Franco, Richard Kadrey, Cassandra Clare, Kevin Hearne, Ilona Andrews, all favorites over the last year. This week I read and loved Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. :D

I read fluff, lots of it. I am trying to read one non-fiction, one classic and two fluff books a month. So far, there is more fluff than anything. Fluff is not a bad thing. Sometimes fluff is imperative in order to get through real life. I have the Stephen King waiting for me at the library, I am anxious to get into it.

Me! I'm reading lots of fluff right now. I'm reading the Dark series by Christine Feehan. I'm on the waiting list at the library for a J.R. Ward book. I've also been re-reading the Twilight series. I think I see a theme going here...

I've heard about the SK book and want to read that. I will read the new Julia Quinn as soon as it comes out.

I really need to alternate fluff with more serious literature, but not right now. :)

I have a lot of stress in my life. Fluff reading is my escape.

I simply cannot do a book a week. I read far too slowly and fall asleep far too easily :glare: I have read about 50 books in a year but that is often because I'm reading more than one book at a time and I sometimes include what I'm reading aloud to my son.

But, I also can't just read "intellectual" books. I need my fun, fluffy books too. It's usually in the form of something silly & light - like Prachett or Fforde or a light Brit. mystery.

:iagree: on both counts. :)

I don't usually do a book every single week. I post there and I read the posts for suggestions. I have said numerous times that my "goal" is 26 books per year. 2 reasons:

Cost (no library here and I have to buy every single book) AND

Time.

I think it's sad that so many seem to be fixated on the number of books. I find that quite disappointing. One loses the joy of reading. Who cares HOW MANY for crying out loud? :lol: Just read and enjoy. Why get fixated on the numbers? I'd rather read 10 absolutely brilliant books a year and enjoy them than read 52 so-so books.

Also, people have differing views of what constitutes fluff. Last week, someone mentioned that The Book Thief was fluff (or something like that). Some disagreed. It's all subjective. To me, just read and enjoy. This is not a literature class. :D

My twin! We can make our own little thread, and it will be all about having 5 books that we're currently reading, and at any given time one of them is Pratchett or Fforde or possibly a Brit cozy!

No? Just me?

I thought I was the fluffy, fun book queen. Seriously, reading is my escape route, my down time, my staycation, my time to disappear into another place. It is not an academic function right now, at least NOT my personal reading. I have enough academic reading to do with my kids. Reading is my time to just veg out and be somewhere or someone else.

I tend towards teen fiction,dystopian fiction, historical fiction...and biographies which are not highly academic.

Anyway....yes....I do fluffy.:D

Faithe

I don't usually do a book every single week. I post there and I read the posts for suggestions. I have said numerous times that my "goal" is 26 books per year. 2 reasons:

Time.

I think it's sad that so many seem to be fixated on the number of books. I find that quite disappointing. One loses the joy of reading. Who cares HOW MANY for crying out loud? :lol: Just read and enjoy. Why get fixated on the numbers? I'd rather read 10 absolutely brilliant books a year and enjoy them than read 52 so-so books.

Also, people have differing views of what constitutes fluff. Last week, someone mentioned that The Book Thief was fluff (or something like that). Some disagreed. It's all subjective. To me, just read and enjoy. This is not a literature class. :D

:iagree:

We do enough " literature " class with our kids. I prefer to enjoy.....I read a lot, but my dh watches a lot of TV. I KNOW he watches more than 52 shows a year...:lol::lol::lol:

Faithe....who doesn't count....but does keep a list.....just because it is fun to look back and remember.....

I thought I was the fluffy, fun book queen. Seriously, reading is my escape route, my down time, my staycation, my time to disappear into another place. It is not an academic function right now, at least NOT my personal reading. I have enough academic reading to do with my kids. Reading is my time to just veg out and be somewhere or someone else.

This! :iagree:

Time.

I agree completely. Although it is fun to look back and go "wow, I read that many books... I didn't realize." GoodReads is nice for that - and keeping track of my TBR pile.

My twin! We can make our own little thread, and it will be all about having 5 books that we're currently reading, and at any given time one of them is Pratchett or Fforde or possibly a Brit cozy!

LOL!! That would be fun. I'm actually on a Wynne-Jones kick right now - she's a bit more serious than Pratchett and not nearly as unusual as Fforde.

Love Stephen King!! Right now, I'm reading post-apocalyptic books - definitely not "light and fluffy" but certainly not very "cerebral", either.

Please share....I love post apocalyptic books. I just finished The Eleventh Plague. It was fun...definitely NOT a classic...but it kept my interest and had some interesting characters.

Faithe

Seriously? The 52 book thread wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable without all the variety of readers and reading that happens there. There are many books, both classics and fluff, that I would have never heard of without you all. It's Sunday and I'm already anticipating all the new books I get to add to my list!

:iagree:

We do enough " literature " class with our kids. I prefer to enjoy.....I read a lot, but my dh watches a lot of TV. I KNOW he watches more than 52 shows a year...:lol::lol::lol:

Yes, my dh watches lots of TV, far more movies, and online reading than do I. And yes, he definitely watches more than 52 shows a year also. :lol:

The only books my dh will read are those by Malcolm Gladwell, stuff related to his business, and classics.

I love keeping a list also. Fairly new with me. I wish I'd started doing so years

ago.

Good Reads is wonderful. :)

Right there with you, Nance! I haven't read a classic in 2 years. And both years I've counted read alouds (YA/ hx fiction).

My goal is to keep reading intentionally, and given my life I'm going to keep reading, but in a way that adds to where I'm at, not takes away cause I sound too "fluffy" -kwim? And I've found some great authors/ genres I never would have encountered if not for the 52/52 thread, but I feel the same way you do!

In fact, last year, my mini-challenge ended up being memoirs. Not deep, but certainly interesting.

I love your posts on that thread, btw!

Who cares HOW MANY for crying out loud? :lol: Just read and enjoy. Why get fixated on the numbers? I'd rather read 10 absolutely brilliant books a year and enjoy them than read 52 so-so books.

I got the impression the number is for both encouraging some of us to read and for a round number of weeks in a year. The thread would look a bit strange to say 26 books in 52 weeks. I know I went some time without reading at all because I always found something else to do. But when the challenge started this year, I thought it would be fun because I missed reading. I might not have picked up a book if I hadn't been motivated by the challenge.

I know there were people who didn't finish 52 books last year. There is no prize for winning. :tongue_smilie:

The books I read like the Cat Who series and Aunt Dimity series are one sitting reads for me. It takes me 3 to 4 hours but most days I actually have that time. Before beginning reading again, I'd simply spend all my time online. I love my little match 3 and hidden object games. I'm currently reading Book 18, and my number is high *because* I read such light books. And I would never read a so-so book. Life is too short to slog through a boring or just plain bad book. My current read is Sword of Shanarra which is 726 pages long. I'm on page 394. The story is good but I've slowed down because I can't read it quickly. I haven't read it in several days. Today I'm doing another Cat Who book and after that the first Aunt Dimity book. I'm not sure if I'll continue slogging through Sword of Shannara. Now that's pathetic!

BTW, the "rules" for 52 books say you can count a children's book if it has substance to it. I'm not sure what that means since I've enjoyed the stories of all the kid's books I've read. But I have considered labeling them 18A and 18B so that 2 count as 1, and that way I can list all of them and not worry if they have substance. :D

I post in the thread because it's fun to see that I'm still participating. My personal goal is to actually read every week and finish the year. I do read the other posts to see book titles but rarely have I found something that catches my fancy. I guess I'm too wrapped up in my own comfort.

Oh well now I was misunderstanding the 52 books thing! I thought all of you were reading the same book! Ok, now I am motivated to join in and read a book. Will start this week!

Oh, no, lol. Everyone chooses their own books and posts what they are reading that week. Some just post titles, some do reviews or a bit of commentary. It IS a good thread to get book ideas and such! And a good way to stay motivated to keep finding time to read, even if you don't quite make 52 books in a year!

(and to me it's not so much about "fixating on a number," it's about being encouraged to constantly make time to read)! Like someone else said, there were people who accomplished it and people who didn't last time, but so what? There was no prize for doing it. No penalty for not doing it. The fun was in participating!

I got the impression the number is for both encouraging some of us to read and for a round number of weeks in a year. The thread would look a bit strange to say 26 books in 52 weeks.

I agree that that's the purpose of the thread - to encourage us to read AND for the round number. Many times I read more than 1 book a week. Many times it might take me much longer.

I was in no way suggesting to change the name of the thread. :confused: I mean that that is my own personal goal. :D It just seems to me that some get stressed out over the number.

Personally, I seldom count our read-alouds. I seldom even remember to include them in the weekly thread.

Seriously? The 52 book thread wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable without all the variety of readers and reading that happens there. There are many books, both classics and fluff, that I would have never heard of without you all. It's Sunday and I'm already anticipating all the new books I get to add to my list!

:iagree: COMPLETELY!

I don't read a book a week. When my daughter was sick I read 4 silly books in one week. Some books have taken me 2 weeks to read. What I like about the 52 books in 52 weeks thread is that there is so much variety! Also, for me it encourages me to keep trucking along in my reading. I need the motivation to not turn the Netflix on ;)!!!! I also get so many great ideas from that thread about what to read next.

I think everyone should read whatever makes them happy! I really think some people enjoy the challenge of reading a "tough" book and others just like to read something fun that they can escape with. It all depends on your personality and what is currently going on in your life.

It would be so boring if we didn't have all kinds of different readers contribute.

Actually I would like a weekly thread entitled, "Who ate the most cookies this week...." I would give you guys all a run for your money ;)!!!

Girl Scout cookie time is not a help to me on Weight Watchers. Yikes! I told DH I might not go to the store for a while because I don't think I can walk by that table without buying several boxes. :tongue_smilie: We still disagree that a box is a serving size. I don't care what the nutrition label says!

Totally must have fluff in order to stay sane! I'm a huge fan of James Patterson, and have read most of his books. I really love the Alex Cross books (Alex's Cross' Trial is a great Civil Rights book for your older kids to read, and has nothing to do w/ the mystey series). I love his series for youth too. Maximum Ride series is great! I also like J.A. Jance mysteries, especially the Johanna Brady and J.P. Beaumont mysteries.

Oh, and I love the Warrior series by Erin Hunter. See, you aren't the only one that reads kid's books!

I think you should start a 52 week fluff series. I would definitely participate in that one!

Loved Maximum Ride too, can't wait for the next one!

For those that like the dystopian stuff... Lately I've been reading a lot of YA books of that nature. Quck, easy reads.... The Hunger Games trilogy, The Maze Runner trilogy (by James Dashner), Chaos Walking trilogy (by Patrick Ness), Unwind (by Neal Schusterman....don't recommend that one), Feed (by MT Anderson), The Line and Away (both by Teri Hall), the Gone series (by Michael Grant), Birthmarked (by Caraugh O'Brien)....

!

I love James Patterson too!

I tend towards teen fiction,dystopian fiction, historical fiction...and biographies which are not highly academic.

Anyway....yes....I do fluffy.:D

Faithe

Exactly!

I have had bouts of insomnia all of my life and probably a touch of anxiety. I have really reduced my screen time before bed, but still read my e-ink Nook. I find reading fluff is great for my insomnia, so I consider it medically indicated fluff ;) Reading riveting stuff keeps me awake and wanting to read more since I am naturally more of a night owl, and when I am tired, reading the classics is too difficult because I can't focus. So, fluff it is for me nightly these days.

I am reading the third Twilight book on loan from the library. It is dreadful writing, but it works great for inducing sleep. Before this one, I was reading one of the Shopaholic series. I have no trouble putting the book down when my eyes start glazing over. It is working very well for me LOL.

Like a PP, during daytime hours I alternate fluff and non fluff. I like some more serious stuff, but I enjoy brain candy too, particularly before bed.

I'm totally reading and posting fluff. I don't feel guilty. It's been at least five years since I read anything that wasn't to or for the kids. Alternating between "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "The Well-Trained Mind." It's fun to read for myself again.

Besides that, my two-year-old is a total night-owl and the sleep shortage makes my brain hurt.

If I make it through the 52 books, next year I'll try some of the secondary challenges.

Actually I would like a weekly thread entitled, "Who ate the most cookies this week...." I would give you guys all a run for your money ;)!!!

You're on!

Are you eating any right now? Because I type one handed while eating cookies. :tongue_smilie:

I got the impression the number is for both encouraging some of us to read and for a round number of weeks in a year. The thread would look a bit strange to say 26 books in 52 weeks. I know I went some time without reading at all because I always found something else to do. But when the challenge started this year, I thought it would be fun because I missed reading. I might not have picked up a book if I hadn't been motivated by the challenge.

I know there were people who didn't finish 52 books last year. There is no prize for winning. :tongue_smilie:

The books I read like the Cat Who series and Aunt Dimity series are one sitting reads for me. It takes me 3 to 4 hours but most days I actually have that time. Before beginning reading again, I'd simply spend all my time online. I love my little match 3 and hidden object games. I'm currently reading Book 18, and my number is high *because* I read such light books. And I would never read a so-so book. Life is too short to slog through a boring or just plain bad book. My current read is Sword of Shanarra which is 726 pages long. I'm on page 394. The story is good but I've slowed down because I can't read it quickly. I haven't read it in several days. Today I'm doing another Cat Who book and after that the first Aunt Dimity book. I'm not sure if I'll continue slogging through Sword of Shannara. Now that's pathetic!

BTW, the "rules" for 52 books say you can count a children's book if it has substance to it. I'm not sure what that means since I've enjoyed the stories of all the kid's books I've read. But I have considered labeling them 18A and 18B so that 2 count as 1, and that way I can list all of them and not worry if they have substance. :D

I post in the thread because it's fun to see that I'm still participating. My personal goal is to actually read every week and finish the year. I do read the other posts to see book titles but rarely have I found something that catches my fancy. I guess I'm too wrapped up in my own comfort.

I always got the impression (from the title, no less) is that people were reading a book a week. I knew there was no way I could do such a thing so I never looked at the thread or joined. The title alone is too intimidating for this slow (but eclectic) reader.

If it is a group to encourage people to read, perhaps the name needs to reflect that?

I thought the idea was to read 52 books in one year. I think that you just report on what you're reading every week.

Either that, or I am doing it wrong and should be kicked out! Which wouldn't surprise me because I am one of those rebel homeschoolers who "packs" my child's lunch all by myself......:lol:!

Just got back from vacation and saw this thread. I'll repeat some things I've said over in the 52 books thread for those who've never dipped their toes into the threads and checked out what we've been doing

Everyone reads at different rates and in different ways. Some can read several books at a time and others only one at a time. Some read fast and some read slow. Some read heavy duty books and others light. The most important thing I can stress is it makes me happy to see so many folks reading and enjoying it. Don't worry about the numbers. Join in at your own rate and see how you do. You may surprise yourself.

Just for sake of argument brain candy is "something that is entertaining or enjoyable but lacks depth or significance." Fluff is "Something of little substance or consequence." The first thing that comes to mind are Romance. But over the years the romance genre has grown to encompass paranormals, action-adventure, suspense, thrillers. I think for me light reading or brain candy is a story that is pure escapism and doesn't make me think too much.

To me heavy reading is the great books, classics, chunksters, non fiction for the most part or any genre in which there is substance to the story. Stories that make you think. I can't say that all paranormal, crime fiction, thrillers or science fiction or even romance are all light reading any more. Of course some are. But then I find myself getting into semantics of what is considered light versus entertaining versus mind boggling.

We could spend all day arguing our definitions but it all boils down to perspective.

When we started again this year Eaglei had this to say:

Thought I'd jump in here again as I have read so many posts about *fluff* reading, and feeling embarrassed to post it. I agree with what Rosie (and others said) - you're welcome here! No one will snicker behind your back! Reading is reading!!!

Another thought that kept recurring to me is that no one knows what another's life is like . . . so read what you enjoy, or what you need to read, or whatever! Life for my family and I has been
hard
over the past many years (ds' two successful battles with cancer being the hardest, plus death of parents, and
much
more). I don't
want
to read heavy stuff right now -
life
is heavy. When I read these days, I want enjoyment, relaxation, escape . . . Even when life wasn't so *challenging*, my mind still needed a break, not to mention that I just flat-out
lighter reading - now more than ever.

I've gotten lots of great ideas from this thread for all types of reading. I'm keeping a list and who knows - maybe someday I'll get to the heavier stuff on it. I'd personally like to get back to reading some classics, but I don't think my concentration right now is up to it - too many other things crowding my mind. This is the thread where I learned about Sarah Addison Allen - not only a new type of reading for me, but good escape, too!

I don't often put a critique of what I've read on here. Sometimes I put a short comment, but usually I just post the title and author. I am pleasantly surprised if anyone comments on a book I've mentioned because generally speaking, what I read doesn't often show up on others' posts. I get so tickled when someone quotes my post and says they read that, too, or they offer other suggestions.

If someone posts something that sounds good but they haven't put any comments, I check the reviews on Amazon to determine whether I'm really interested or not. I don't blog, so this is the only place I list what I've read.

It really is easy to be part of this 52 in 52 challenge! Minimal rules. Read what you want to. Read as much or as little as you wish. An accepting, non-judgmental group of people. A host of new reading ideas. What could be easier or more enjoyable!

I do hope everyone who is interested will participate! This is my favorite thread, and I look forward to seeing the old faces along with new ones, and seeing titles that catch my attention."

Don't let the name of the thread stop you from joining in. A goal is something to work towards. I need goals, accountability, somebody there to kick me in the butt, motivation to meet those goals. Consider it motivation. But most of all if you enjoy reading and talking about books - jump right in. Doesn't matter what you read or how many books you read.

I love the variety on the 52 weeks thread! And those of us who do love the classcis (Moby Dick) also frequently love to fluff it up as well. Star Trek novels, anyone else?? (Hi Kareni!!!) :tongue_smilie:

Well, hello there, Jennifer!

I've been on a big historical romance kick for the better part of a year now. I post occasionally on the Book a Week thread and enjoy reading about what others are reading. It's a welcoming group of readers, so I say post away about whatever you're reading no matter how quickly or slowly you read it.

Regards,

Kareni