Menu

How much time spent on homeschooling daily

ALL.DAY. My older boys are mostly independent. Most nights, they are finishing up their schoolwork until they head up to bed. They take breaks as needed, work out, and attend after school activities too. But, this includes my checking their work and them correcting it.

The 11 and 6 yos are usually done by lunch. We start at 8:30. (The 6 yo takes only about an hour of that time.)

We begin at 8:30 or so, sometimes later. We finish around 2 on most days. Monday and Friday (science and history days) tend to go a bit longer. So about 5 to 6 hours most days. I am trying to end earlier so the kids have more free time. (younger only does about 3 hours of work during that time).

Hours!

Hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours......

It's been a rough February so far...

On a good day, 3-4 hours. My oldest is in third grade.

The kids each spend 4.5 hours (DS5 a little less, since he sometimes chooses to drop out of some group activities in the morning). I spend 6.5 hours a day because I take each kid one-on-one in the afternoons.

But we haven't done anything at all this week because we have all been sick as dogs with the flu or a cold (can't quite figure out which but it's not nice, whatever it is). :glare:

10:00-1:00 3 hrs today on morning work: math, English, spelling, latin, reading, as far we can get in 3 hrs.

I read aloud from King Arthur over lunch.

They wanted to do our P.E. curric after lunch during their outside time, so I went outside and led them through exercises and then had a chat about healthy heart eating since this is National Heart Health month. The P.e. was unplanned. I meant for them to go out and run around on their own, but they like our curric.

Then lessons from 2:45-3:15. Both finished up some independent work. After that I turned into supervisor not instructor for awhile. One dd took a nap. One practiced her piano then read a book until around 4:15.

About 4:30 I led them through science with a physics demonstration and read a few books. I helped one write her narration for her notebook and guided the other through her lab report. This went on until about 6:00 when I broke to make dinner and they finished up whatever work they hadn't finished during the day (homework.)

So how long is that? All day. We could start earlier and end earlier. We try. But it doesn't always work out.

I guess 5 hrs of sit down and do school and an hour of reading aloud and P.E. game time together. So 6 hrs so far... bedtime reading still to come.

It seems a lot longer than that when you work in laundry and dishes and cooking all day. Maybe tomorrow I will get a shower :tongue_smilie:

We are more on the relaxed side and it varies day-to-day. We probably average about 10 or so hours a week (for one child, age 10).

What I don't include in the 10 or so hours: physical education, art, various topics of discussion, educational dvds, educational games (board, card or computer), outings, or practicing of spoken French. If I counted these things then the number would be a lot higher, however, all of this is done quite informally and I don't think that's what the OP is looking for.

What I do include in the 10 or so hours: reading/writing, math, science and history done in a formal/intentional way--including read-alouds. It would also include written French, but we've put that on hold for now as we really work (with the help of a tutor) on overcoming reading obstacles in English.

ETA: We do year-round, but of course we have weeks here and there where nothing seems to get done and weeks where we get more than expected done.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

About five hours, but that is pretty much a total guess. Obviously it varies from age to age, child to child, etc., and there is so much educational activity that occurs outside of "school". We homeschool year-round, continuously, about 5 and a half days per week.

My kids are age 3, 5, 7, 7, 12, and 13.

Hours!

Hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours......

It's been a rough February so far...

On a good day, 3-4 hours. My oldest is in third grade.

This....only on a good day we finish in 5-6 hours...

My 8th grader takes about 6.5 hours...4th grader 4 hours...2nd grader...2-3 spread out throughout the day, not including quiet reading, crafts, pays Ed etc.

Our school usually takes 3 hours. Give or Take. But we are doing the bare minimum this year, as we have 2 days of therapy, and then piano and gymnastics on 2 other days.

We are doing math, grammar, science, spelling, and thinking skills. And vocabulary. But this year, it's all textbook stuff. It can easily be done on the road :001_smile: I'm going to be ordering the SOTW CD so we can get some history in too.

We begin at 8:30 or so, sometimes later. We finish around 2 on most days. Monday and Friday (science and history days) tend to go a bit longer. So about 5 to 6 hours most days. I am trying to end earlier so the kids have more free time. (younger only does about 3 hours of work during that time).

Sounds about like us. Only, for some reason, Fridays always get done faster.

My dc 9yo (4th grade) on up spend 6.5 hours (or so) schooling every day. We start at 8:00, have a 15-minute break midmorning, exercise from 11-11:30, 45 minutes for lunch, begin again at 12:15 and work until 3:45 or so (with another 15-minute break midafternoon).

My 7yo (3rd grade) has about 3 hours of school plus she joins us for science and history. 5yo has 1 hour of school and usually hangs out for science and history as well.

We don't have set school time. We start after everyone is dressed and ready for the day and work at a pace that is appropriate for the mood of my 1st grader (I also have a 4 yr old and 18 month old to keep up with during this time). If we work straight through with no breaks we can usually finish within 3 hours. But we rarely do that. She usually takes several short breaks in between lessons/activities.

Wednesdays are more relaxed and Fridays are reserved for field trips. We do some sort of reading and math every day of the week (even weekends).