signs that make you groan

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the...

Curl Up and Dye Salon

:lol::lol::lol:

Salons are the worst for groan-worthy signs. I went to college at an engineering school. The nearest salon was named "Hairodynamics" I kid you not. Near me now I have a Klipper Kuts. This annoys the snot out of me because both of those words start with the same letter anyhow. You don't need to mutilate both words to match....

My other source of terrible signs is churches. Around here we have a lot of little churches in the middle of nowhere. EVERY summer, they all put out a billboard saying they have "prayer conditioning". It may have been funny (sorta) the first time, but when the 10 churches near you have the same sign, it really is not funny anymore.

Not a sign, but a license plate. Wish I could find the picture. But think about driving around with your car loudly proclaiming you are:

DMB4EVR

We really hoped the guy was just a huge Dave Matthews Band fan! LOL!

And this is why I always say if you are going to get personalized plates, write it down, and make a lot of people, especially people that aren't your closest of friends and know what/how you think read it aloud. See what OTHER people see when they look at your funky word combo!

Ok this reminds me of a state park where we used to live. Check the address, too. :rolleyes:

We see the signs for this park when we're driving down south for vacation. Dh and I snicker quietly every time we see it. We feel so juvenile :001_rolleyes:. I had to share the name of the road with him just now. It elicited the same response :lol:.

There was a restaurant near our old house called Krazzy Pizza. What the..?? Is it a short 'a' or long 'a'? It can't be pronounced "Crazy", which is what I assume they were going for, because they thought it would be super neat to give it an extra 'z' like in 'pizza'!! LOL My kids and I would scream at that sign every time we passed. Ugh.

There's a church near here which has "Kids Khoir Kamp" every summer. So not only do you have gratuitous misspellings, but you have kids running around with t-shirts with a big KKK on them-which is usually visible long before the rest of the print.

Uh...don't think I'll be signing DD up for THAT one!!!

:svengo: :lol: That is just too much...

My husbands aunt lives in a town with... Butchers funeral home.

Here we have 'Shorter funeral home'. I can't help but think, as opposed to the longer one??? We did go to DH's grandmother's funeral there. It was pretty short...

Unfortunately not a misspelling...small truck stop between Indy and my hometown...

**name**

Eat Here and Get Gas

Wonder if that's for the trucks or the diners?

:lol: Nice. My boys would get quite a kick out of that. :D

Salons are the worst for groan-worthy signs. I went to college at an engineering school. The nearest salon was named "Hairodynamics" I kid you not. Near me now I have a Klipper Kuts. This annoys the snot out of me because both of those words start with the same letter anyhow. You don't need to mutilate both words to match....

My other source of terrible signs is churches. Around here we have a lot of little churches in the middle of nowhere. EVERY summer, they all put out a billboard saying they have "prayer conditioning". It may have been funny (sorta) the first time, but when the 10 churches near you have the same sign, it really is not funny anymore.

Yes. Churches do TERRIBLE signs!!! We have a church we pass on the way to our church which ALWAYS has horrible things on their sign! (Which they must find clever. :rolleyes: ) I can't remember what it says now, but I know for awhile they had the 'Seven days without prayer makes one weak.' Lame. :glare:

Ok this reminds me of a state park where we used to live. Check the address, too. :rolleyes:

HA! I knew which state park you were refering to before hovering over your link. Right after we were married, my mil informed us they were planning on having a great time at Big Bone Lick this weekend. I am pretty sure I looked like this :ack2: since I had never heard of it!

There's a church near here which has "Kids Khoir Kamp" every summer. So not only do you have gratuitous misspellings, but you have kids running around with t-shirts with a big KKK on them-which is usually visible long before the rest of the print.

This reminded me of a friend of mine in high school and his camp t-shirt. It had two Vs as the initals, but had upside down Vs under them that was suppose to be the Vs reflected in the water of the lake. It was impossible to tell that, so I asked him why he had the symbol for female chromosomes on his shirt. :lol:

Thanks, MiHH! :)

My favorite church sign of all time was not a groaner, IMO, but I'll share it anyway. It said, "Eschew Obfuscation."

:lol: I actually had that put on my license plate frame years and years ago--I thought I'd made it up;). It absolutely cracks me up to drive around and imagine the state of the person in the car behind me. I've been asked about it in traffic--most people laugh, but some people...well, some people just don't get it;).

The worst I've seen recently was on a restaurant sign. It was advertising some new menu item as "Backed not fryed!" :001_huh: Really? An employee put it up that way and none of the others working there fixed it? I refuse to think they didn't notice.

The main offenders around here, though, are family names on mailboxes, front doors, painted signs, etc. Even professionally printed welcome mats and yard art. The Smith's, The Johnson's, The Jordan's, The Jackson's, The Washington's. AGGGH!

Thanks, MiHH! :) I saw another one today at a car wash but didn't get a photo. "Senior Citizen Wash--$15." In case you have any dirty grandmas. Or grandma's.

My favorite church sign of all time was not a groaner, IMO, but I'll share it anyway. It said, "Eschew Obfuscation."

I wonder how many people who saw it actually understood it.

"Obfuscation" would follow me to bed and keep repeating over and over in my head until I looked it up in the dictionary. Eschew is an old friend of mine. :tongue_smilie:

I remember driving by my local movie theater when From Hell was playing. There was the funniest thing ever. The way the sign was set up it looked like this:

God Bless America!

From Hell

Around the time Firestone was being sued for bad quality we drove past a Firestone tire store in Louisiana that was having an unfortunately timed "blowout sale".

In DeRidder, Louisiana, we found a pharmacy called Ideal Drugs.

I had the photo at one time, but there was a Ford dealership in Lafayette, Louisiana, that had a Dodge dually with the Cummins diesel pulling a trailer loaded down with Ford diesel trucks. I thought it was a subcontractor and still funny because I'm a Dodge girl. After I developed the photo, I noticed it had the dealer's logo and everything permanently on the door. :lol:

When I was in college, they were trying to 4-lane a very busy road in Natchitoches, Louisiana. On this road was the funeral home. For months their sign read, "Slow down. We'll wait."

That kinda makes me wonder if they did it on purpose. How could anyone not notice that?

This is an unfortunate name for a restaurant that I snapped one day when I was coming out of the hospital one day in Heidelberg.

I have to chuckle every time I see a Phuket restaurant here in Germany even if I do know what they meant. Jamaica-Me-Tan was always a sign that bothered me but at least they spelled it right.

I should have read this thread sooner. It's hilarious! I can't think of a funny sign, although of course living here in PA we've got some funny town names. Paradise, Blue Ball, Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand, Butztown.

Not a sign, but I do pass the tackiest looking funeral home sometimes in a nearby town that always has me gawking, so once I finally had to stop and take pictures. It's got pink and red and blue trim and every time I pass it, it's got something weird in the windows, depending on season or holiday. You expect a funeral home to be kind of stately and solemn, right? But this one will have turquoise miniature fake trees in the window around Christmas time, big fake paper flowers and butterflies in the spring, and around Halloween these little witch dolls, and all sorts of oddities. I swear, I do a double take every time I see it. Attaching a few pics of the building and windows from one particular display when I stopped to take pics.

I should have read this thread sooner. It's hilarious! I can't think of a funny sign, although of course living here in PA we've got some funny town names. Paradise, Blue Ball, Intercourse, Bird-in-Hand, Butztown.

Not a sign, but I do pass the tackiest looking funeral home sometimes in a nearby town that always has me gawking, so once I finally had to stop and take pictures. It's got pink and red and blue trim and every time I pass it, it's got something weird in the windows, depending on season or holiday. You expect a funeral home to be kind of stately and solemn, right? But this one will have turquoise miniature fake trees in the window around Christmas time, big fake paper flowers and butterflies in the spring, and around Halloween these little witch dolls, and all sorts of oddities. I swear, I do a double take every time I see it. Attaching a few pics of the building and windows from one particular display when I stopped to take pics.

OK that house, knowing it is a funeral home, is way creepy. :leaving:

I wonder how many people who saw it actually understood it.

Well....not me. I finally looked up obfuscation...:001_huh: then :thumbup:

We have a tattoo place nearby called Screamers. Really encouraging idea, huh? LOL

We have a Lutheran church that I'm just not sure they ever think objectively about their signs. Two weeks ago it said, "Can't sleep? Come hear a sermon" What?? LOL The other said, "Be fishers of men. Jesus does the cleaning". You know, that doesn't work out very well for the fish and doesn't inspire me to find out more. :)

When we lived in North Carolina we were in the same town as a large zoo. One church had a sign that said, "A lion is on the loose!" on their marque. Fortunately I was familiar with their scripture reference but considering the area...might not have been the best choice. :)

Fun!

Please tell me that there really isn't a town called Intercourse, PA.

I can barely stop giggling enough to put down my wine and type that! :lol:

Why yes, there is. :) A friend of ours used to live there. And I'm trying to remember what it is you get to after you go through Intercourse... I just remember her saying they used to say it as a joke, 'you have to get through intercourse to get to ___' ... Dang it. :glare: It was funny, too...

Please tell me that there really isn't a town called Intercourse, PA.

I can barely stop giggling enough to put down my wine and type that! :lol:

Yes, there is. It's actually quite close to me. The original name was Cross Keys. Blue Ball, Lititz, Leola, Churchtown, Paradise. I have friends that live in Paradise and some near Whitehorse. I know my stepdad used to do business in King of Prussia.