Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - week 5

I'd love to hear what you think of Voddie Baucham's book. May add that to my wishlist.

I read that a couple of years ago, and it was OK. I didn't agree with all his premises, but there were some good parts. We do go to a church with children's Sunday School, but our children have always stayed with us during worship. (just so you know where we're coming from)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read some horrific reviews of Umberto Eco's latest novel, The Prague Cemetery, but decided to ignore them and read it anyway. I love his work, even though I'm thoroughly exasperated with him by the end of every novel and swear that we're through, and this time I really mean it. We're still in the honeymoon stage this morning, but I'm sure I'll be feeling differently by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

I'll be interested to hear what you think. I have this one on reserve at the library but am somewhat unsure of whether or not I want to read it.

My ds9 discovered Redwall this year and has read his way through the series. If you've read the books you know what a part food plays in the stories. My ds and I were thrilled to discover the Redwall Cookbook. We've tried quite a few of the recipes. Here's a blog entry about our cooking experiences Redwall style.

Thanks for this! Ds and I are reading Redwall together now (on the second book) and loving it.

This week I read Below Stairs by Margaret Powell. It's her memoir of her time as a kitchen maid and cook in 1920's London. If you (like me) are enjoying Downton Abbey this is a fun read, although it's a very different tone from the show. It's more cynical and less nostalgic. I have a full review at my blog, if you are interested.http://supratentorial.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/below-stairs/

I also just finished Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim. Very very funny. If you were at all a fan of the Little House TV show it's an excellent read. Also just a fascinating peek into the very dysfunctional world of being a child actor.

Read so far:

1. The Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

2. The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee

3. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

4. I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson

5. The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman

6. Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George

7. The Rise and Fall of Mt. Majestic by Jennifer Trafton

8. Below Stairs by Margaret Powell

9. Confessions of a Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim

Next up: The House of Mirth, The Death of Adam and The Atlas of Impossible Longing.

A pox on audio books with annoying music that one cannot skip.

:lol:

My DH listened to Lord of the Rings on audio and complained about all the singing.

I once bought the Little House cookbook. We made a few things. Oh, also bought the Harry Potter Unofficial Cookbook. Eh.

I've started Eden's Outcasts that I heard of here, and thank you again Stacia for the book. I find it amazing that Bronson Alcott was friends with Emerson, Thoreau, and Hawthorn.

On audio I've started Fahrenheit 451. The story is interesting, but I don't like the writing style. It feels like interpretive dance. I'm a classic loving gal who loves classic dance such as ballet and classic books with their wonderful classic writing style. I'm not so into Bradbury's style. Makes me want to roll my eyes and say, "Yeah, I get it. Stop trying so hard."

Oh, I want to ask those of you who read while running on the treadmill, how do you do that? I can't imagine doing that. I mean you bounce up and down while running. How can you keep your place? I've asked DH if he would be able to read while running on the treadmill and he said no way could he do it. He listens to audio but he said he couldn't read a book.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

I'd love to hear what you think of Voddie Baucham's book. May add that to my wishlist.

DH and I love Voddie's book. We ended up purchasing the book so we could re-read it. We come from a "children are sent off to children's church" type of background, so it really opened our eyes, in that respect.

There's supposed to be a great chowder recipe in Moby Dick--at least according to Why Read Moby Dick, which is actually making me want to read Moby Dick.

So far:

1. Affairs of the Youth--enjoyed

2. House at Riverton--enjoyed

3. College Prep Homeschooling-meh

4. Why Read Moby Dick-not quite done, but really enjoying it.

5. Forgotten Garden-good so far.

Laura

There's supposed to be a great chowder recipe in Moby Dick--at least according to Why Read Moby Dick, which is actually making me want to read Moby Dick.

So far:

Laura

Have you read the entire book Why Read Moby Dick? That's on my wishlist and I was wondering if I should read it before, during, after, or skip it altogether when reading Moby itself.

Nevermind. I'm going to bed. I totally missed it on your list. Alright. I'm getting Why? :)

I read that a couple of years ago, and it was OK. I didn't agree with all his premises, but there were some good parts. We do go to a church with children's Sunday School, but our children have always stayed with us during worship. (just so you know where we're coming from)

DH and I love Voddie's book. We ended up purchasing the book so we could re-read it. We come from a "children are sent off to children's church" type of background, so it really opened our eyes, in that respect.

Thank you both for your thoughts. You've peaked my interest enough to look into this book.

Oh, I want to ask those of you who read while running on the treadmill, how do you do that? I can't imagine doing that. I mean you bounce up and down while running. How can you keep your place? I've asked DH if he would be able to read while running on the treadmill and he said no way could he do it. He listens to audio but he said he couldn't read a book.

I'm not going to pretend it's easy. Has to be a paperback book to fit the stand correctly. Has to have print that's not too small. I tend to hold on to the front of the treadmill too much. I don't run too fast. Turning pages is hard. I want to get a kindle soon and think that might be the way to read on a treadmill. I've always read a magazine or something--audio only isn't enough of a distraction for me (I need a distraction to keep me going--treadmills are pretty boring).

I haven't been able to post the past few weeks, as I'm finding it a lot easier to read with the baby in my arms than it is to type. ;)

This week I finished Ahab's Wife and enjoyed it for the most part. Some characters were less endearing than others, but it has certainly piqued my interest in Moby Dick.

I also read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as a read aloud and was thankful when it ended. I found it to be one of those books that is not at all enjoyable to read aloud. (Not that I think I would have enjoyed it any more reading it silently.)

I'm still slowly working my way through Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics. It has been an interesting read, but it isn't exactly a page-turner. I've also been reading The Well-Educated Mind by SWB and I started The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz.

Completed so far:

5. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, L. Frank Baum

4. Ahab's Wife, Sena Jeter Naslund

3. One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp

2. The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien

1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Annie Barrows

I walk briskly and have the nook lying on the lip of the treadmill in front of me. Actually quite easy to read. I tried with regular book and doesn't work at all for me. The nook - perfectly and can blow up the font for easy reading.

Have you ever tried any recipes you've come across in a story? I actually made the apple pie from the recipe in "How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World." Granted it's a children's book we discovered through Five in a Row - however, it was delicious!!!!

We have a great buttermilk pancake recipe that we got from a children's book. I can't for the life of me remember the title of the book, but boy am I glad that I copied the recipe down while we had it out from the library! :001_smile:

Moby Dick Readalong - Are you all going to be ready to tackle the whale in a couple weeks?

When will this start? I'm also wondering if anyone has an edition that they recommend. It looks like the one SWB recommends in the WEM might be out of print. Thanks!

This week I finished:

#4 The World-Tilting Gospel by Dan Phillips ~I really liked it!

Today I started:

#5 Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 by Stephen Puleo

I will let you know! I loved Dan Phillip's book, too.

Laura

I did buy this last night before bed and I'm halfway through it. You're right!! It DOES make you want to read Moby Dick. And make that chowder... I just don't know where to get good biscuits for the base. Not potatoes? Really? :001_smile:

Oh, and I hate clams. I was thinking of a shrimp chowder. Shrimp are closer cousins to krill anyway. And the baleen whales eat krill. I know Moby is a sperm whale but I am not making seal chowder. :lol:

Last night musings for me...

When will this start? I'm also wondering if anyone has an edition that they recommend. It looks like the one SWB recommends in the WEM might be out of print. Thanks!

I'm hoping we rest for a couple of weeks and then take Moby nice and slow. We still have stragglers trying to get their hands on Ahab's Wife yet.

Moonwalking with Einstein-Reading now-awesome! this is going to be a quick, enjoyable read. I am consumed with memory stuff now (how to improve it, etc) so this is right up my alley. Engaging writing!

I have this on hold at my library and can't wait to read it! I'm wanting to read more about memory, too.

I also read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as a read aloud and was thankful when it ended. I found it to be one of those books that is not at all enjoyable to read aloud. (Not that I think I would have enjoyed it any more reading it silently.)

I started The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz.

I really like The Out of Sync Child.

As for hard to read aloud books.....that's why I love audio books. :001_smile:

I walk briskly and have the nook lying on the lip of the treadmill in front of me. Actually quite easy to read. I tried with regular book and doesn't work at all for me. The nook - perfectly and can blow up the font for easy reading.

Ah, see now walking I can see how it's possible. Walking yes, actual running no. A Nook or Kindle would make it easier as I can't imagine trying to turn pages. ;)

I like to read on a treadmill or elliptical machine, but it has to be a pretty brain-candy mystery. I can't handle anything more complex, nor can I stand to exercise and have nothing to read!

I'm not going to pretend it's easy. Has to be a paperback book to fit the stand correctly. Has to have print that's not too small. I tend to hold on to the front of the treadmill too much. I don't run too fast. Turning pages is hard. I want to get a kindle soon and think that might be the way to read on a treadmill. I've always read a magazine or something--audio only isn't enough of a distraction for me (I need a distraction to keep me going--treadmills are pretty boring).

It doesn't matter what I read while running, I'd vomit from motion sickness. I think the key is to not *run* but walk fast or lightly jog?

I tried a bit to listen to audio books while working out, but I didn't get really into it. I prefer music. I usually work out hard and I have to concentrate on the moves, the proper form, and technique. With all that on my mind I can't pay attention to a book. Even when I run (I don't have a treadmill so I run laps through my house) I can't listen to an audio book. I like to let my mind wonder and think about random things. Plus, I'm usually dodging kids, the dog, and making sure the boys are doing their chores. ;)

I know Moby is a sperm whale but I am not making seal chowder. :lol:

Sperm whales eat giant squid. I've never heard of them eating seals. Do they? Orcas eat seals. I'm trying to picture a sperm whale swimming fast enough to catch a seal. Seals are fast!

Edited by Kleine Hexe

I've made it to week 5!

This week I'm reading Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie.

52/52

5. God's Smuggler by John Sherrill and Brother Andrew

4. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

3. Persuasion by Jane Austen

2. All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Still holding down the low end of the curve for everyone by only being on my third book. You're welcome :). Currently working on Balzac's Droll Stories, a book banned everywhere when it first came out. Anyone planning to join me? It's only risque by 19th-century standards.

Yes, but doesn't War and Peace count for at least 10 books???;) If we counted pages and degree of difficulty, I'd say you're far ahead. :001_smile:

My DH listened to Lord of the Rings on audio and complained about all the singing.

At least the songs in LOTR were actually part of the writing. Actually I remember skimming them too.

I read on the treadmill too, btw. My trick against motion sickness is to hold the book so it bounces with me and my eyes don't have to adjust as much. It does have to be a book that can be held in one hand.

Finished book #8 Feast of Fools (book 4) Morganville Vampires. (I am hooked on this series but now have to wait for teh library to bring in my holds of the rest of the set) Onto a little meatier book now. I bought new batteries to listen to the Moby Dick audio book this afternoon. Hoping to get an hour of listening time done today (it is a 24 hour recording)

So far:

Laura

Now you make me want to read Why Read Moby Dick. Just added it to my wishlist.

Shooting for mid Feb. Possibly starting the 13th. But if we still have folks still reading Ahab's Wife, can push it back another week. Don't have any particular recommendation for edition. I just got the Barnes and noble classic edition but you usually can't go wrong with any penguin classics edition.

#10. Willpower by Baumesiter & Tierney

--------

From the jacket's blurb: In what became one of the most cited papers in the social science literature, Baumeister discovered that willpower in fact has a physical basis and operates like a muscle: it can be strengthened with practice and fatigued by overuse. Willpower is fueled by glucose, and it can be bolstered simply by replenishing the brain's store of fuel. That's why eating and sleeping - and especially failing to do either of those - have such dramatic effects on self-control (and why dieters have such a hard time resisting temptation).

This is a book I would like to own so I could refer back to it often! This book is jam-packed with scientific studies, yet readable. I found so many tricks and tips to help boost my willpower in all areas of my life; don't procrastinate, plan it out, work on playing offense (avoiding temptations) rather than defense (trying to use your willpower), and so much more.

--------

9. The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

8. A Chicken in Every Yard by Robert and Hannah Litt

7. Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott

6. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

5. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

4. Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Nasland

3. At Home by Bill Bryson

2. Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison

1. Little Sugar Addicts by Kathleen DesMaisons

This week I am reading Family Driven Faith: What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God by Voddie Baucham.

Completed so far...

6. Organized Simplicity

5. Year of Wonders

4. The Holiness of God

3. The Paris Wife

2. The Peach Keeper

1. Relic[/Quote]

I am very interested in what you think of this book. The little bits I have heard about and from Voddie is interesting.

On audio I've started Fahrenheit 451. The story is interesting, but I don't like the writing style. It feels like interpretive dance. I'm a classic loving gal who loves classic dance such as ballet and classic books with their wonderful classic writing style. I'm not so into Bradbury's style. Makes me want to roll my eyes and say, "Yeah, I get it. Stop trying so hard."

I know, right? I finally got the English version. The book isn't very long, but I am having trouble reading it for this very reason.

Yes, but doesn't War and Peace count for at least 10 books???;) If we counted pages and degree of difficulty, I'd say you're far ahead. :001_smile:

:iagree:

I feel like such a slacker after reading everyone's booklist.

2012 list

Animal Farm

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Currently reading

Hidden Mickey 3, my mom read it and sent it to me. I am only reading it for her.

Fahrenheit 451, in English :D

Now you make me want to read Why Read Moby Dick. Just added it to my wishlist.

Me too!:D I requested it from the library. Hopefully it will be available soon!

Shooting for mid Feb. Possibly starting the 13th. But if we still have folks still reading Ahab's Wife, can push it back another week. Don't have any particular recommendation for edition. I just got the Barnes and noble classic edition but you usually can't go wrong with any penguin classics edition.

Great! Thanks for the suggestion.

10. Letters from Yellowstone by Diane Smith~historical fiction, a female scientist travels to Yellowstone in order take part in a botanical survey. Some niggling problems with stereotypes in secondary characters, but an openness about women's choices at the time and the use of different points of view on the same situations. Positive ending.

9. The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day~fiction, a book of inter-connecting short stories focused on the Indiana winter home of a circus in the early years of the 20th century. Not bad. Based on a real place (Peru, IN) and some real people (such as the author's great great uncle who was killed by an elephant in 1901.

8. The Alphabet in the Park by Adelia Prado~poetry, a grouping of several books by a Brazilian poet with a sensual style, but also a very deep faith in God. Translated into English. Interesting. A very real interest in family, the lives of women, and sexual attraction.

"Poetry catches me with her toothed wheel

and forces me to listen, stock-still,

to her extravagant discourse.

Poetry embraces me behind the garden wall, she picks up

her skirt and lets me see, loving and loony.

Bad things happen, I tell her,

I, too, am a child of God,

allow me my despair."

7. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman~non-fiction about the cultural difficulties of Amer medicine by a Hmong child with a seizure disorder.

6. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus~speculative fiction about the Cheyenne request for white brides in order to unite the two cultures.

5. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Woods~a plucky governess tutors 3 children who were raised by wolves.

4. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Jester (read aloud)~boy takes a car through a mysterious tollbooth into a strange world.

3. The Alienist by Caleb Carr~Mystery, first US attempt at profiling a serial killer by a psychiatrist (known as an alienist) and friends.

2. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton~Fiction, a small girl is abandoned on a ship to Australia with a white suitcase and a fairy book.

1. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt~Fiction, following several arty, progressive families from the late Victorian period through WWI.

In progress:

Fire Upon the Deep (Vinge)

How the Other Half Lives (Riis)

Ender's Game (Card)

Victoria's Daughters (Packard)

Travelogue Cookbooks:

I like the books of Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. They are more cookbook then travelogue but you get a good idea of food regions within a larger country (such as China or India which are split into much smaller people groups and traditions). You also get real food from ordinary people.

Mango and Curry Leaves

Beyond the Great Wall

Flatbreads and Flavors

Hot Sour Salty Sweet

The Seductions of Rice

Biography Cookbooks

Ruth Reichl, editor of Gourmet and NY Times Food Critic, has 3 biographies of her childhood in New York, her college years in California, and her time as food critic. Each contains family recipes.

Tender at the Bone

Comfort Me with Apples

Garlic and Sapphires

Book Club Cookbooks

The Book Club Cook Book~I checked this out of the library because it doesn't just have recipes for foods used in books, but gets many of their recipes from the authors themselves.

1. Envy, by J.R. Ward (3rd in the Fallen Angels series, not your typical fallen angels competing with the demons to save souls with fairly graphic romance twist).

2. Kiss of the Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series, most involving some time travel and some fairy/fae stuff).

3. The Ramayana, A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, by R.K. Narayan. I read this one with my daughter for school/social studies. It's a 157 pg Penguin Classic but it actually kind of held my interest. Probably more so than hers.

4. Dark Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series).

5. The Immortal Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning (Highlander series). (I know, it's fluff, but I'm finishing out the series). :D

So late to this thread, but here goes:

#13 The Crucible (Arthur Miller; play)

Like so many of you, I first encountered this classic of American theater in high school. I then revisited it eight years ago, when my son was the same age as Miss M-mv(ii).

And now the Misses and I have read it.

We began with the 1996 film, for which Miller himself adapted his play, earning him the only Oscar nod of his career. Roger Ebert has little good to say about this adaptation, but I respectfully disagreed with him when I first saw it in 2004, and I continued to disagree with him as I watched last week. It is, quite simply, a powerful work well acted.

In the days that followed, we read and discussed the play itself, and I was reminded afresh what a privilege it is to lead this reading, thinking, learning life beside such thoughtful, articulate, and sensitive students.

A line for my chapbook: "I never said my wife were a witch, Mr. Hale; I only said she were reading books!" Heh, heh, heh.

#12 Wool 4 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#11 Wool 3 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#10 Adventure Unleashed (______ __. _________; unpublished fiction)

#9 Wool 2 (Hugh Howey; fiction)

#8 Wool (Hugh Howey; fiction)

# 7 The Project (Brian Falkner; YA fiction)

#6 Like Shaking Hands with God (Kurt Vonnegut, Lee Stringer; non-fiction)

#5 The Autobiography of an Execution (David R. Dow; non-fiction)

#4 Feed (MT Anderson; fiction)

#3 Coriolanus (William Shakespeare; play, classic)

#2 Artist's Journal Workshop (Cathy Johnson; non-fiction, art)

#1 The English Teacher (Lily King; fiction)

Links to posts about some of these books:

On the nightstand, January 30

On the nightstand, January 15

On the nightstand, January 9

On the nightstand, January 2

Kind of a slow reading week for me. I started 2 new books: My Life by Bill Clinton, and Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. Both these books are big so they're going to take me a while to get through.

Have you ever tried any recipes you've come across in a story?

I'm always copying down recipes from books. Here is one I made a couple of months ago, from one of Livia J. Washburn's "Fresh-Baked Mystery" books:

Pecan Pie Cookies

Cookies Ă¢â‚¬â€œ

3 large eggs

Ă‚Â¾ cup margarine or butter, softened

Ă‚Â¾ cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Ă‚Â¼ teaspoon salt

3 cups all-purpose flour

Filling Ă¢â‚¬â€œ

1 large egg

Ă‚Â¼ cup sugar

Small pinch salt

1/3 cup dark corn syrup

1 tablespoon melted butter

1 cup pecan halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease or put parchment paper on large cookie sheet.

For cookies, in large bowl, beat 3 eggs lightly. Add margarine, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat with mixer at medium speed until completely mixed, scraping the sides of the bowl frequently. Add flour and stir until blended. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator while making filling.

For filling, in microwavable bowl, beat egg with sugar, salt, dark corn syrup, and melted butter until well blended. Microwave filling on high for 3 minutes.

Take cookie dough out of refrigerator. Dough should be slightly stiff. Using a tablespoon, place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. With thumb, make an indentation in the center of each dough ball large enough for filling and pecan. Fill each indentation with a rounded Ă‚Â¼ teaspoon of filling. Top each cookie with a pecan half.

Bake until lightly golden, 16 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Last week I finished

#8 The Dead Travel Fast- Deanna Raybourn (enjoyed reading it, especially since I have been to Transylvania)

#9 The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains- Nicholas Carr (didn't care for it)

#10 Soulless- Gail Carriger (really enjoyed it)

#11 Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother- Amy Chua (loved it, but wasn't sure I really should)

This week I'm finishing up Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman- Robert K Massie. I read the first half really quickly, but the second half has been hard for me to get through.

Last week I finished

#9 The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains- Nicholas Carr (didn't care for it)

Oh no!!! I just checked this out of the library in non-audio format. But I MUST finish Phantom before I start it. But I'm very intrigued to start it. What didn't you like about it?

This week I got two books read. I read Finger Lickin' Fifteen and Sizzlin' Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. They were light and funny, something I needed after a week of sickness last week. I began The Passage by Justin Cronin for this week. I cannot put it down and am loving it.

My 2012 list:

1. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins-hope to read the other two soon

2. Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah-this became one of my favorite books

3. Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

4. Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich

5. Sizzlin' Sixteen by Janet Evanovich

What did you read by Jacobs? I thought A Year of Living Biblically was much funnier than The Know-It-All.

What do you recommend by Bryson?

I read the Biblical living one. It was funny with the exception of one section in the book that made me want to vomit.

If you have been to Europe then I recommend Bryson's Neither Here Nor There.

This week I am reading A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz. It was one of the Kindle Special offers at $.99 so I purchased on impulse. :) So far I am enjoying. When I purchased I was unaware that it was a ya book, but I'm sure my dd will be glad to read it when I'm finished. That is, if I can give up my Kindle for a few days.

Reads thus far:

1. Moon Over Manifest - Clare Vanderpool

2. Room - Emma Donoghue

3. The Pawn - Steven James

3. The Rook - Steven James

I read Kazuo Ishiguro's When We Were Orphans. Not a page turner, I found it very interesting, though. I am almost finished with A Charlotte Mason Companion and I am reading A Midsummer Night's Dream, as well.

2012:

6. When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro

5. Entwined by Heather Dixon

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

3. Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs by Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand, Malcolm MacPherson

2. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll