Menu

Would this bug you? Would you say anything?

Let me start by stating that homeschooling is extremely rare in my area. The vast majority of parents think that the public schools are excellent, and those that don't like the ps send their kids to private school.

The other moms in my area do not understand why we homeschool, and some have even gone so far as to say that I am depriving my kids of the social opportunities of school.

My dd joined Brownies/Girl Scouts in first grade (we began homeschooling in 2nd grade.) Her troop was very laid back. The girls were awarded badges, but the girls never wore their uniforms to meetings/outings.

This year the troop leaders changed the meeting time. This new time conflicted with another of my dd's activities, and she ended up changing to a new troop.

My dd really likes the new troop. They have more activities than her old troop. This troop is more serious (which my dd doesn't mind), and the girls are required to wear their sashes with their badges that they have earned.

The two leaders of this troop have made comments when I have gone to pick up dd and have made it clear that they feel sorry that my dd is missing out on the fun of school. Up until this point I have ignored it.

Last week one of the troop leaders called me to let me know that my dd would not be receiving the badge that would be handed out at the next meeting (held this past Thursday) because the service project was taking place at the public school during the day. Before I could respond, she told me that she knew that I would not have a problem with that since my dd is "doing girl scouts for the socialization.":angry: I was too taken aback to even respond.

Yesterday afternoon, my dd had a few girls over. One of the girls she invited to come was the daughter of one of the troop leaders. As the mom was walking out the door with her dd, she says to me, "It was so good for your dd to have a chance to socialize with the other girls this afternoon." She continued on and I don't remember her exact words but the sentiment was that she did me a huge favor by bringing her dd over.

I am so sick of the socialization issue. I am also not happy that my dd did not have the opportunity to earn the badge - not because of the badge, but because I feel she should not have been excluded, and the troop leaders should have picked a different service activity.

I recognize that these moms are volunteering their time and my attitude normally is that if I am not willing to take on the volunteer activity myself, I am not going to complain about the job someone else is doing.

My dd really likes the girls in the troop, so changing troops is not the solution.

Would any of you say anything, or should I just leave it alone? Maybe I just need to vent.

That would annoy me, and I probably would say something. I'd try to calm down first, but then I'd say something along the lines of respecting her educational choice for her children and that you'd appreciate her doing the same for you and for her to please not mention again her misguided prejudice that your daughter is lacking in socialization.

Yes, I would say something. Actually, I'd send her an email so I could be calm and express myself better. But I couldn't let that go, and I'd leave the troop if it wasn't resolved. I don't stand for that crap. I don't badmouth the public school system (specifically or generally) to PS moms. I would expect the same courtesy extended to me.

Yes, I would say something. Actually, I'd send her an email so I could be calm and express myself better. But I couldn't let that go, and I'd leave the troop if it wasn't resolved. I don't stand for that crap. I don't badmouth the public school system (specifically or generally) to PS moms. I would expect the same courtesy extended to me.

:iagree: And I'd email your council saying that your DD was specifically excluded from completing a patch program on the basis of homeschooling. If this was an official patch they were earning {like a try-it} then excluding ANY GIRL is a big NO-NO.

In scouts (cub, girl, boy) service projects can be done with family. Your DD could do almost anything in the community to earn her time doing something of service - help an elderly neighbor with shopping, collect food for the food bank, clean up a trail by your home, etc.

I don't think the troop leader handled herself well in this - just because a service project is *at* the school does not mean your DD should be excluded! Troop activities are supposed to be open to all the girls (or boys) without exclusion - her troop leader, in essence, barred her from completing the service project by not allowing/inviting her to participate. For me, I'd take that to the council and in the meantime have your DD do her own service project to be recognized appropriately!

:iagree: And I'd email your council saying that your DD was specifically excluded from completing a patch program on the basis of homeschooling. If this was an official patch they were earning {like a try-it} then excluding ANY GIRL is a big NO-NO.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. Though I might go through the leader first, if I wanted to keep peace and stay in the troop. I suspect that a leader capable of thinking like this might also be capable of more cattiness if provoked :(

Why does this have to be so hard?! I'm contemplating finding a local school-based troop myself, but I'm so worried about this garbage. It makes me sad. I hope your leader is understanding and willing to resolve this with you :grouphug:

Here's our story. For years we have been part of a small hsing troop. I love everyone there, but it is very small, and only I and one other lead 5 different levels of girls. We were tired. So we decided to try some other troops this year and possibly disband for awhile.

I took my dds out of the new troop after 1 month. I was tired and wanted to go to one where someone else did all of the work for awhile, but it wasn't worth it.

It was actually 2 troops, one for the older and one for the younger as opposed to the mixed age one that we are used to. Long story short, it worked well for my younger. I loved her leader and she loved the girls. It didn't work well for the older. After a weekend camp at which I was volunteering with the youngers I had several run ins like you described with odd's leader and knew it wasn't a great place for us. So I pulled them both and we are back at our old troop where I am working my tail off. Younger liked the bigger troop and the girls and wished we could have stayed, but it wasn't a good place for our family, so she had to deal. We make the best of it and are having a great year with our old small troop.

I wonder if she doesn't even realize that her comments would be perceived as critical. She may sincerely believe that you are doing scouts because you want your DD to socialize. I mean, haven't we all seen homeschool parents post about joining groups just for the social aspect? Now to continue on and imply that your DD is missing some great thing is pushing it a bit.

I do think it was totally inappropriate to not discuss the service project with you in advance and offer an alternative.

Yes, I would be bothered. Yes, I would say something. Be as diplomatic as possible. ;)

In scouts (cub, girl, boy) service projects can be done with family. Your DD could do almost anything in the community to earn her time doing something of service - help an elderly neighbor with shopping, collect food for the food bank, clean up a trail by your home, etc.

I don't think the troop leader handled herself well in this - just because a service project is *at* the school does not mean your DD should be excluded! Troop activities are supposed to be open to all the girls (or boys) without exclusion - her troop leader, in essence, barred her from completing the service project by not allowing/inviting her to participate. For me, I'd take that to the council and in the meantime have your DD do her own service project to be recognized appropriately!

And I totally agree with this. She should be allowed to make it up some how. We are a small hsing troop. But we have a couple of ps girls. Occasionally we do something during the school day and some of the girls might get to earn something, but we let anyone know who can't come so that they have the opportunity to do it at home if they want, or try to make sure we find a way for them to earn it with us at the next meeting or something. She should have just talked to you about what your dd could do to earn it, so she wouldn't be left out.

I would leave it alone - and I would leave it alone b/c I am very good at shredding people and leaving them in a pile of ashes - my scorched earth policy my dh calls it.:glare:

And, I would vote with my feet -- I would find another troop, another activity, something -- but, that being said, THAT way of thinking is also a huge fault of mine. If you can stay, if you are able to continue saying 'pass the bean dip,' and not have your blood pressure go through the roof, then do that.

If not, i would find something else to do. Is there a CC group near you that has a troop that you can join?

And, I agree that emailing or phoning the council and dealing with this issue with them will likely be more productive and yield positive results than dealing with the individual who continues to drop the socialization comments.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I'd go up the chain of command and complain loudly. I'd also write a letter to the troop leading about her misguided thoughts of what socialization is. The child that can do a service project outside of school and help the general public seems to me to be more socialized than the group of children who do their projects withing the confines of an institution.

I wonder if she doesn't even realize that her comments would be perceived as critical. She may sincerely believe that you are doing scouts because you want your DD to socialize. I mean, haven't we all seen homeschool parents post about joining groups just for the social aspect? Now to continue on and imply that your DD is missing some great thing is pushing it a bit.

I had the same thought when I was reading and don't personally see what is so offensive about the leaders' view that Girl Scouts provide an opportunity for homeschoolers to socialize with other kids. It's true. However, it does sound like the leader is being patronizing and treating the OP's DD differently because she is homeschooled, and that is a problem that needs to be addressed immediately IMHO.

I would probably try to have an informal conversation with the leaders first about their perception of the socialization issue. I'd be friendly and approach it as correcting the misconception that homeschool=social deprivation.

I'd also ask about alternative activities for your dd to earn that badge, let the leader know that your dd did feel left out, and request that either the activities take place outside the school or that your dd be allowed to attend. I'm unsure of the reasoning for your dd not being able to participate--was it a school activity, or was it just *at* the school?

If the leaders are not responsive, I'd contact the council and consider switching troops.

Cat

If your DD really likes scouts and this troop continues to not work with you - can can do scouts on your own through the Juliette program. She can still participate in any council and local events open to all scouts, but be able to work on patches on her own without having put up with the issues of a troop.

This is what we do - DD is a Juliette at the Daisy level, and we are loving it for the most part.

I obviously don't like that dd was excluded from the activity. But what bothers me more I guess has more to do with my feelings than my dd's: I hate that the other moms are feeling sorry for my dd.

The troop leader is correct saying that we did join Girl Scouts for the socialization. However, my dd was in first grade in public school when she joined Girl Scouts for the socialization.

Isn't "socialization" the reason why most girls joins Girl Scouts?

Thanks for the replies. I will broach the subject of my dd earning her badge in some other way.

I would find another troop, ASAP. If the troop leader is directing those kinds of comments towards YOU, it's likely that she's also saying those sorts of things to your daughter. That type of environment isn't a good one.

And, email a higher-up - as others have said, excluding your daughter from a badge or patch activity is most definitely prohibited.

I would probably try to have an informal conversation with the leaders first about their perception of the socialization issue. I'd be friendly and approach it as correcting the misconception that homeschool=social deprivation.

I'd also ask about alternative activities for your dd to earn that badge, let the leader know that your dd did feel left out, and request that either the activities take place outside the school or that your dd be allowed to attend. I'm unsure of the reasoning for your dd not being able to participate--was it a school activity, or was it just *at* the school?

If the leaders are not responsive, I'd contact the council and consider switching troops.

Cat

It was an activity that took place at the school during school hours. The project had been completed before they even brought it to my attention, so I was not even able to suggest that my dd go to the ps.

I would definitely address that issue. Maybe tell her you had time to think about it since your last conversation. It sounds like maybe they were just doing something at school all together, and the leaders recognized that it was something that could count towards a badge, but not necessarily a troop project. That would almost be the same as when kids do something on their own at home and then tell us about it and we put it towards a patch or a badge. So I would let her know that you want to know what the requirements are for the badge or patch so that your dd can earn it too.

Last week one of the troop leaders called me to let me know that my dd would not be receiving the badge that would be handed out at the next meeting (held this past Thursday) because the service project was taking place at the public school during the day.

Actually, I would have a problem with this.

What's wrong with either:

a. Asking if dd wants to come participate in the service project, or (if the school's not OK with that)

b. Telling mom ahead of time (when the leader was doing her own planning), so dd could do a separate service project and still get the badge with everyone else.

This would feel like she snuck around behind my back to arrange for a badge for all the other girls but one. Excluding one is not acceptable.

This would feel like she snuck around behind my back to arrange for a badge for all the other girls but one. Excluding one is not acceptable.

This is how it felt since she didn't call me until after the fact. I tried to downplay to my dd that she would not be getting a badge at the meeting, but she was still disappointed.

I would say something about the badge. Maybe an email saying that upon consideration, you are not entirely happy that they schedule a service project at school during school hours without even talking to you, tell them which Girl Scout rule that violates, and say that you would like to do a different activity so your daughter can earn that one. Very nice, but I would make my point.

The "oh your poor daughter" stuff I would let go. People are weird. If you have only one child, as I did until my oldest was ten, you hear a lot of "oh, poor lonely child" stuff. If you have many children, you hear a lot of "oh, poor dear has to share Mommy" stuff. If you don't have a pet, you will get grief all the time. If you don't celebrate Halloween, people think you are nuts, if you do, as different crowd is praying for your child. You know what I am talking about. I would just ignore it.

Exactly!! :iagree:

It was an activity that took place at the school during school hours. The project had been completed before they even brought it to my attention, so I was not even able to suggest that my dd go to the ps.

The school allowed a girl scout service project during school hours?

ETA: I ask because for our cub scouts, while charted by the PTA, we are not allowed to do activities on school grounds during the school day - they definitely let us do service projects for the school, after school or on the weekend, but not during the school day.

Edited by Tigger

The school allowed a girl scout service project during school hours?

ETA: I ask because for our cub scouts, while charted by the PTA, we are not allowed to do activities on school grounds during the school day - they definitely let us do service projects for the school, after school or on the weekend, but not during the school day.

Yes. I don't know any of the specifics other than the project had to do with recycling.

It seems as though the leader is the one who lacks socialization given her comments. ;)

I would invite her to coffee one evening and chat with her about how you feel that your dd is being excluded (clearly she is, but if you approach it like she might not see it that way, then it might go better). Perhaps you could bring along some articles on socialization so that she gains some understanding of the meaning of the word. Politely remind her that the words we chose in front of children can shape who they become, so she needs to be positive especially since she is on a position of authority.

Unfortunately those people who feel like they are doing you a favor choose to get offended rather than listen, but leaving your dd out is not acceptable.

If the troop leader is directing those kinds of comments towards YOU, it's likely that she's also saying those sorts of things to your daughter. That type of environment isn't a good one.

:iagree: This is precisely why I would say something about it to the leaders. I would want to be completely clear that this is not an "Oh, poor homeschooled snowbeltjr!" situation--that you do not perceive it that way, that your DD does not perceive that way, and that you would appreciate if the troop leaders did not interact with your family based on that misunderstanding. Because yes, even if they have not already conveyed this attitude about HSing to the other girls, it WILL shine through at some point, particularly if their own daughters are in the troop as well. If your DD likes these girls and wants to stay with the troop, I'd want to clear that up ASAP.

Guest submarines
I would say something about the badge. Maybe an email saying that upon consideration, you are not entirely happy that they schedule a service project at school during school hours without even talking to you, tell them which Girl Scout rule that violates, and say that you would like to do a different activity so your daughter can earn that one. Very nice, but I would make my point.

The "oh your poor daughter" stuff I would let go. People are weird. If you have only one child, as I did until my oldest was ten, you hear a lot of "oh, poor lonely child" stuff. If you have many children, you hear a lot of "oh, poor dear has to share Mommy" stuff. If you don't have a pet, you will get grief all the time. If you don't celebrate Halloween, people think you are nuts, if you do, as different crowd is praying for your child. You know what I am talking about. I would just ignore it.

:iagree:

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. Though I might go through the leader first, if I wanted to keep peace and stay in the troop. I suspect that a leader capable of thinking like this might also be capable of more cattiness if provoked :(

Yes, of course you should say something to the leader first. If she doesn't recant and apologize and offer a way for your dd to participate, that's when you would go to the council.

Your dd should have the opportunity to earn the same badge as the other girls and should not have been excluded. I think it would be appropriate to talk to the leader and let her know that you understand that your dd is not in the same school as the other girls, but you would like to be included in any future decisions on whether or not your dd would participate so you can be the one making the decision instead of your dd being excluded. The leader may not even consider it as excluding your dd and she may need you to gently point that out so it doesn't happen again.

Before I could respond, she told me that she knew that I would not have a problem with that since my dd is "doing girl scouts for the socialization."

I would look at her quizzically and pleasantly say, "Really? What gives you that impression?" I would gently correct her and tell her the real reasons your dd is participating. Obviously there has been misinformation spread, and you are the only one who can correct that.

Tell the GS leader that you appreciate the work she does with the girls and ask her to inform you if she sees any future conflict with badge activities. Complete the missed badge activity with your DD and move on. I can see no reason for your DD not earning the badge.

As long as you HS, someone is always going to have an opinion on the subject and feel the need to express it. Try not to take this personally because most speak from ignorance. If you feel really compelled to speak with her. No e-mails. Ask her face to face if she has any questions about HS'ing. Answer her questions gently and clear up any misconceptions then and there. I think all mothers can get defensive about their choices. We shouldn't, but we do.

I would say something in a nice and tactful way. You will be educating these leaders. I used to be a troop leader with a multi-age troop where the girls came from various schools. A few (including mine) were homeschooled. Sometimes a girl was able to complete requirements for a badge independently. This option should be suggested by you and offered by the leaders. There is no reason why your dd should not be able to complete the requirements for a service project.

Yes, it would bug me. I know because I've been exactly there ((hugs)), except I gave the other scout mom a piece of my equally opinionated mind - in colorful language, no less. Way awkward over-reaction on my part, but I was finally sick of ignoring that kind of UNSOLICITED comment.

Fast-forward from 1st to 5th grade, and this mother is now one of my good friends. Go figure. She still makes the occasional comment, but I've come to realize that it's not malicious .. it's just ignorance and her thinking aloud. We can now joke that -like my children!- she need not share every thought in her head ;) Just today she was trying to convince me how wonderful our local schools are (my nephews attend the same schools), and that I should check them out for middle school next year.

But you know, it's not just schools. She keeps trying to get me to leave our current gym (members for 4 years) do join hers. And she suggests my son abandon his current baseball team (coached by my brother) to join the one her son plays for. I learned that it's not so much a school thing as it is a "my way is the right way, so don't you want to join me?" thing. It's her personality. I wouldn't have learned this had I written her off entirely so many years ago. I'd have died believing that for her it was a school thing.

I have no idea what this lady's motivation is, but if you're worried her "concerns" influence her interactions with your daughter ... I'd speak up. If you don't think there's any risk of this leader making related comments directly to your daughter, I'd come up with one or two pat responses for future comments, but I wouldn't make waves over it. "Actually, Lady, I've been quite worried about the social skills coming out of our schools! We're so glad you brought Girl over because we figure by reaching out to just one public schooled kid we can make a difference! [insert syrupy sweet smile here]" ...

LOL. Mostly kidding, but figure out a few replies or even just learn to get comfortable turning the tables: "Oh, really? Why do you think that?" to comments about why you're doing x, y, and z for your daughter's socialization. Say it in a manner of genuine confusion, and not defensiveness; turn the tables on her.

As for the badge, that would irritate me also, but I'd let it go. My son is the only homeschooled kid in his pack, and he's missed out on a few things because of it. He was never overtly excluded, but everything he missed we were able to do on our own - and usually in a much cooler way LOL. For me, it's just part of the package deal - especially as a non-volunteer. I'd feel differently if there was a direct attempt to exclude my child, but people are busy and sometimes it's just easier for them to do things when they're already together (school). Just like it's sometimes easier for us to do complete requirements on our own school schedule.

And I'd email your council saying that your DD was specifically excluded from completing a patch program on the basis of homeschooling. If this was an official patch they were earning {like a try-it} then excluding ANY GIRL is a big NO-NO.

:iagree: And I would tell Mrs Passive Agressive Socialization mom to stuff it...in more colorful words. I'd ask her where she learned HER social skills and manners because they are seriously lacking.

I'd write a letter. Something like:

Dear Leader,

My daughter is having a wonderful time participating in your troop and I'd like her to continue to do so. However, the constant hints that she is inadequately socialized leave me feeling very conflicted. Has my daughter had issues with getting along with the other girls or completing activities that I am unaware of? I've watched her interacting with your troop and I'm not sure what specific behavior of hers would lead anyone to feel she is being inadequately educated.

Sincerely,

The Mom

If she responds with "oh, no . . .kid is great . . .no issues" You can then reply with a "given that my daughter is well adjusted and happy, could you please refrain from making your prejudice towards our educational choices obvious in front of the children. Also, in the future, if you can let us know an activity is being held at the school I will be sure to bring her at the appropriate time or complete the badge at home."

People can be dense. Sometimes they really just need to be TOLD what's going on. Also, if my daughter did the badge at home, I'd make it a super-cool event that the school can't duplicate and ask that she be able to tell the troop about her variation on the badge :-D

Edited by KungFuPanda

And another darn thing . . .I'd make it clear that your child has plenty of opportunities to interact with society, but she's in scouting because she wants to participate in scout-specific activities.

Sorry, I was a Leader and I know about the demands placed on volunteers, but this woman is out of line.

I really agree with this poster. I do not take these things personally unless someone actually insults ME or MY CHILD personally. This seems more like a stereotypical generalization to me. Not anything I would really think too much about, but I don't really think too much about what others say about my choices as a homeschool mom. I figure they have no clue what is involved and usually that is confirmed by their comments. ;) And, that's ok. I'm fine with other ppls opinions. It's not for everyone.

I'm not sure that the leaders mean anything negative. It's kind of hard to tell from your post. It just sounds like they don't really understand homeschooling. Personally, I would let it go b/c you didn't say anything at the time. But, from now on, I would make a point to stop and 'say' something when the opportunity presents itself. If you get a call like the one you just mentioned again, I would stop her in mid-sentence and make a point of letting her know that your daughter WILL be participating in ALL activities. You have no problem meeting them at the school for _____ activity. If your daughter is left out of an activity and you find out after the fact, I would make sure that they understand that is absolutely not ok, and at that point, I would decide whether to give them a verbal warning or take it to the next level. However, I would give them the opportunity to redeem themselves b/c it sounds like you really haven't expressed your feelings about what is actually going on with your daughter. Once you've expressed yourself to the leaders, you have every right to call them out on any situation you feel is inappropriate. It just sounds like this might be a bit of a misunderstanding/communication.

HTH!:grouphug:

Tell the GS leader that you appreciate the work she does with the girls and ask her to inform you if she sees any future conflict with badge activities. Complete the missed badge activity with your DD and move on. I can see no reason for your DD not earning the badge.

As long as you HS, someone is always going to have an opinion on the subject and feel the need to express it. Try not to take this personally because most speak from ignorance. If you feel really compelled to speak with her. No e-mails. Ask her face to face if she has any questions about HS'ing. Answer her questions gently and clear up any misconceptions then and there. I think all mothers can get defensive about their choices. We shouldn't, but we do.

1. I agree that your daughter has the right to complete the badge. We belong to a troop, but often complete badges on our own. Our troop encourages the girls to earn extra badges at home as desired.

2. The leader seems to be viewing you through the lens of a stereotype. Ironically, Cadette Journey "Amaze" tells us all about problems with stereotypes -- I wonder if the Brownie equivalent (Quest) mentions anything about that. The Cadettes cover it in Session 2 of the Journey (along with peer pressure). If you DO decide to email or talk to the leader about her attitude, it would be really fun to work that tidbit in. After all, you'd hate for the girls to be getting a negative example of stereotypes from a leader when GS specifically wrote a Journey about the problem.

I think you should say something to her about both the socialization comments and the badge. Write down a brief response and either discuss it with her in person or via e-mail, whichever is easier for you. Be friendly yet assertive.

I'd write a letter. Something like:

Dear Leader,

My daughter is having a wonderful time participating in your troop and I'd like her to continue to do so. However, the constant hints that she is inadequately socialized leave me feeling very conflicted. Has my daughter had issues with getting along with the other girls or completing activities that I am unaware of? I've watched her interacting with your troop and I'm not sure what specific behavior of hers would lead anyone to feel she is being inadequately educated.

Sincerely,

The Mom

If she responds with "oh, no . . .kid is great . . .no issues" You can then reply with a "given that my daughter is well adjusted and happy, could you please refrain from making your prejudice towards our educational choices obvious in front of the children. Also, in the future, if you can let us know an activity is being held at the school I will be sure to bring her at the appropriate time or complete the badge at home."

People can be dense. Sometimes they really just need to be TOLD what's going on. Also, if my daughter did the badge at home, I'd make it a super-cool event that the school can't duplicate and ask that she be able to tell the troop about her variation on the badge :-D

:iagree:Oh, that's good!