Menu

Article-Students lose vital skills in home school

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree:

Not sure how to quote a quote, but I agree with everything u said in your response

Thanks. :D

I wonder if The Guardian is spending her day reading our responses or if she posted and left. It would be interesting to actually discuss the subject instead of two "take that!" aimed at homeschoolers.

With code names and a HQ even. EM admitted that we have operatives all over the world.

I wonder if SWB knows what she started all those years ago. :lol:

:lol:

I am wearing my Educational Anarchist t-shirt to celebrate today. I will change if I leave the home, I don't want to alert others to my operative status.

I am wearing my Educational Anarchist t-shirt to celebrate today. I will change if I leave the home, I don't want to alert others to my operative status.

vendetta.jpg

This is one of my soapboxes. I would love nothing more than to be actively involved in our public school. I attended PTA meetings and raised my hand and signed every sheet I could to help out. I received not one phone call. Schools do not want parents involved. (Or at least, our school system does not want parents). I offered to read to students and help those who were struggling in learning to read, it was turned down for confidentiality reasons. I suggested that they utilize parents to help in the office and library, carpool and even helping watch kids in the lunchroom to give teachers extra time for planning, etc. I offered to organize a fundraiser to purchase needed items for special ed. All of it turned down.

:iagree: I got myself on the PTO board (Vice-President) and worked 30+ hours a week and they would not let any parents near the classrooms. I did after school enrichment (when they couldn't stop me), fundraisers and community activities. Boy, did they hate me. They don't want involved/active parents they want Stepford-parents.

Uh, the writer of the article is hypersensitive - apparently- to critique yet she thinks she can teach in a public school environment? :confused:

I skimmed the article and it's so like most of the 'homeschoolers are wrecking their kids lives' article that I've read in the past I pretty much laughed and got back to educating my kids.

In case our Guardian friend is watching, I found a similar incident from a couple of years ago. This fairly thoughtless and stereotypical rant was posted on a teaching blog and unexpectedly spawned over 1000 replies, counter-essays, counter-counter-essays, and plenty of fun and wholesome recreational outrage for all involved. :D I guess Ms. Cain got off relatively lightly with only 100 or so comments.

I'm so glad we've gone to t-shirts. Those jumpers were killer. :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Y'all just made my day!

(And now I really want an Educational Anarchist shirt. :tongue_smilie: )

In case our Guardian friend is watching, I found a similar incident from a couple of years ago. This fairly thoughtless and stereotypical rant was posted on a teaching blog and unexpectedly spawned over 1000 replies, counter-essays, counter-counter-essays, and plenty of fun and wholesome recreational outrage for all involved. :D I guess Ms. Cain got off relatively lightly with only 100 or so comments.

:smilielol5:

You don't tug on Superman's cape,

You don't spit into the wind,

You don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger

And you don't mess around with homeschoolers.

Seriously, Guardian, Ms. Cain, and anyone on the planet, don't you think homeschoolers do a little bit of research, a little bit of counting the cost before embarking on an entirely counter-culture lifestyle that requires an unending supply of patience, time, money, and sacrifice on our part? A lifestyle in which the hours entirely suck and criticism from the ignorant is pretty much guaranteed?

This is not a lark or a whim. It is a decision. We looked at what the public school system has to offer and judged it to be inadequate for our children, so we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.

Homeschool Moms are some of the toughest women on the planet. We don't put up with much. Never interrupt someone who is doing a thing to tell them it can't be done.

Seriously, Guardian, Ms. Cain, and anyone on the planet, don't you think homeschoolers do a little bit of research, a little bit of counting the cost before embarking on an entirely counter-culture lifestyle that requires an unending supply of patience, time, money, and sacrifice on our part? A lifestyle in which the hours entirely suck and criticism from the ignorant is pretty much guaranteed?

This is not a lark or a whim. It is a decision. We looked at what the public school system has to offer and judged it to be inadequate for our children, so we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.

Homeschool Moms are some of the toughest women on the planet. We don't put up with much. Never interrupt someone who is doing a thing to tell them it can't be done.

Woo-hoo! Preach it, Sister! :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Oh! I remember that kerfluffle! It was lots of fun! :D

Love this! You need to post it to the comments! :thumbup:

I had to laugh when she said getting a teacher's license was a "grueling process" that she had just gone through. I used to have a teacher's license for SC and for NC, and it really wasn't that hard. It only took 4 years of college and assorted fairly easy tests, plus practice teaching as a part of some of the college classes. It was more fun and easy than "grueling". [i let my license expire, since I don't need it for homeschool, and I don't have time for any job that does need it. Also, after the freedom of homeschooling, I don't think I could fit into the bureaucracy of a group school any more.]

I have used little to none of what I learned in college to teach my children. Most of it is irrelevant to homeschool, since I don't need to follow bureaucratic procedures nor coordinate lessons for 20-30 children at once. I did need to learn to teach 4 widely varying levels (K-high school) at the same time, and to keep track of toddlers while teaching 5th graders--none of which was covered in teacher training. Actually, most of what I was taught wasn't all that helpful in teaching classroom school, either. (I only taught one semester of classroom school, as a K-8 Spanish teacher in a private school just before my oldest was born. I also worked as a substitute teacher for a year or two.)

Edited by Spock
add a sentence

I'm printing this and putting it on my fridge. You are an inspiration and a dear. I will properly cite you, of course.

Can I pretty please use this if I promise I'll cite you as the source? I have a facebook point I need to make; and you did it so... beautifully.

:iagree::hurray:

This should be on a bronze plate someplace. I love it.

I had to laugh when she said getting a teacher's license was a "grueling process" that she had just gone through. I used to have a teacher's license for SC and for NC, and it really wasn't that hard. It only took 4 years of college and assorted fairly easy tests, plus practice teaching as a part of some of the college classes. It was more fun and easy than "grueling". [i let my license expire, since I don't need it for homeschool, and I don't have time for any job that does need it. Also, after the freedom of homeschooling, I don't think I could fit into the bureaucracy of a group school any more.]

I have used little to none of what I learned in college to teach my children. Most of it is irrelevant to homeschool, since I don't need to follow bureaucratic procedures nor coordinate lessons for 20-30 children at once. I did need to learn to teach 4 widely varying levels (K-high school) at the same time, and to keep track of toddlers while teaching 5th graders--none of which was covered in teacher training.

:iagree::iagree: I actually advise my young friends who hope to homeschool some day to *not* get an education degree. The Dewey mumbo-jumbo and a lot of what passes for Ed Philosophy I found the opposite of helpful when I started considering homeschooling.

I almost feel like I'm butting into this given that the thread is 14 pages, but...

If The Guardian contends that we're all "fundamentalists", I shall willfully misinterpret that to mean one of the reasons we homeschool is to teach the fundamentals. So yes...in that sense, I am a fundamentalist.

You Rock

Or an my dh would say, "don't pull the tiger's tail unless you have a plan for the teeth."

LOVE this!

I have an MS Engineering. I wonder if that qualifies me to homeschool? Or do I need to take some of those classes in coloring and picture books first?

If the problem is that the paper edited her article into something other than what she intended, why are you here complaining to us? We can only respond to the article as written. If you'd like to post the original here, I'm sure we'd love to see it. If you're unhappy with the editing at the paper, talk to them, that's really not our problem.

And calling me a "fundamentalist" is, um, funny. Please don't tell the secular homeschooling group I'm trying to get started, they won't appreciate it.

If you aim to spark an online debate, you may in fact get an online debate. This was a pretty darn mild one, to be perfectly honest. Really mild as the internet goes. Most people even stuck to the topic. They disagreed, sure.

Edited by AdventureMoms

The ramblings of a grad student in the education department all hopped up on her own self-importance.

As in---how dare those parents think they can teach their own kids, look at all the hard work I am doing here and all the money I am spending on my degree so that I can teach those kids properly!

The whole thing seems not to be a dispassionate evaluation of the state of homeschooling in South Carolina but a justification of the need to employ the author in the future. (Undoubtedly with with limited work hours, good benefits, high salary befitting her degree and summers off since it is what is best for my children.)

Man I stay offline for the most part for 1 day and miss all the fun again :D

You know what I find the funniest about the arguement about homeschooling parents being too *uneducated* to properly teach their children is that they got that supposed education in public school. If a high school graduate is too uneducated to teach a 5 yr old how to read, or do 3rd grade math etc WHY on earth would I send my children to receive such a dismal education?

Either Public school is graduating well educated students and therefore they have the knowledge base to teach their children, particularily the basics. Or it is not, in which case why is that deemed an acceptable place to send out kids?

She was banned

Heh. Probably for her own good. If the comments on the other site made that author fear for her life :rolleyes: the comments "The Guardian" received here probably would have given her a nervous breakdown. She seemed a touch prone to overreaction. ;)

Man I stay offline for the most part for 1 day and miss all the fun again :D

You know what I find the funniest about the arguement about homeschooling parents being too *uneducated* to properly teach their children is that they got that supposed education in public school. If a high school graduate is too uneducated to teach a 5 yr old how to read, or do 3rd grade math etc WHY on earth would I send my children to receive such a dismal education?

Either Public school is graduating well educated students and therefore they have the knowledge base to teach their children, particularily the basics. Or it is not, in which case why is that deemed an acceptable place to send out kids?

:iagree:and well put.

Yes I can't agree more. My sisters kids go to ps and I can't agree more with the fact they push parents away instead of involving them with so much bureaucratic rules that it makes people just throw their hands up and walk away.

I know my sister wasn't allowed to walk her daughter to her classroom. ( Her 5 yr old mind you on her very first day)

She was told she had to schedule a conference when she called the school one day to ask a question to see how her son was doing that day because he had started in on a medication for ADHD. All she needed was a yes, he's doing fine, or a no, he isn't feeling well.

My other sister's daughter is autistic and the school wouldn't allow the social worker that they work with for her autism to come in and observe.. because THEY felt her enviroment wasn't causing her eyelash/eyebrow picking. (Which we've found out to be true because she is no longer doing it anymore since my sister pulled her out of school).

My sisters would request from the teachers for them to send home sight words for them to work with and they refused.

I see so many ps teachers in our area complain that the parents aren't involved , well I can't imagine why!!!