Menu

Personal - For those of you who get paid to work at home...

In my previous life, I was an accountant. I contract with my former employer to do extra work they don't won't to hire someone full time to do. The jobs they have me do vary. Most recently, they had me reading contracts and setting up terms in a data base. A tedious job, but it was nice to have extra $$$ around the holidays.

How do you find that kind of job? I type about 85 wpm.

How did you get this job? Do you mind pm'ing me the info??

I do dental transcription from home. I love it!

I trained in the TypeWell system; click here to learn more. Then I worked on local campus (i.e., in a real class) for 2.5 years. This IRL experience is pretty invaluable, and if you want to PM me the links to some colleges near you, I can give an opinion on whether or not the schools are offering this service (or might be open to it). I started working remote from home last April and now am solely doing it sitting on my bed in my jammies. :D

It's not an immediate "make money starting next week" thing, but if you can spend time and energy developing the skill, and you can get some real-life experience before trying remote, it pays well to very well. I can send specifics via PM if you're interested. I'm providing about 75% to 80% of our family's income right now, working 25-30 hours a week.

PM me if you have any questions. I've been really busy with work and other things, and may not see this thread again.

In addition to being a part-time art teacher at a private school in our community, I also have privately taught students of my own that I can meet with from my home or at another location. Right now I'm holding a group class once a week at an outside location, but it could have easily ended up here at home if I'd wanted it to. Teaching or tutoring are great ways to stay home based and you set the hours you are available.

I also have an evening and Saturday job where I work from my home office as a virtual call center representative. I am a contract employee and can set my own hours within the project that I'm assigned to by the virtual resource company I am contracted with. I use my computer and a landline with headset to handle calls with clients and customers all over the country. The pay isn't what you'd call fabulous, but by the time you consider that I don't have travel expenses and can work from home in my pj's instead of expensive clothes, then I think it all balances out well.

Blessings,

Lucinda

In addition to being a part-time art teacher at a private school in our community, I also have privately taught students of my own that I can meet with from my home or at another location. Right now I'm holding a group class once a week at an outside location, but it could have easily ended up here at home if I'd wanted it to. Teaching or tutoring are great ways to stay home based and you set the hours you are available.

I also have an evening and Saturday job where I work from my home office as a virtual call center representative. I am a contract employee and can set my own hours within the project that I'm assigned to by the virtual resource company I am contracted with. I use my computer and a landline with headset to handle calls with clients and customers all over the country. The pay isn't what you'd call fabulous, but by the time you consider that I don't have travel expenses and can work from home in my pj's instead of expensive clothes, then I think it all balances out well.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Do you mind sharing the info about the company that you do virtual work with? There have been several listed before but none of them want people from California? I don't know if our state has kind of restriction on this type of work or not.

Thanks

I am a consultant for Lilla Rose, and I do that all online so I don't do parties outside of my home-though you can. Lilla Rose sells beautiful hair clips that actually work to keep your hair up!

We LOVE Lilla Rose clips here! In fact, my two girls had a hair clip "open house" (took orders from friends), oh, about a year ago and sold $400+ worth of clips. Lilla Rose (the company) apparently hadn't done any, or many, open houses like this before then and we apparently threw them off, lol. It took a few emails to get the party processed. But it was a LOT of fun, and we really do love the quality of these clips.

I write blogs for busy scrapbook designers, and make scrapbook elements, clusters and such from their designs that they sell in their kits.

I also do assisting for a few very busy ladies that are making good money in the digital scrapbook business, and they pay me well, and give super bonus. I also get all my supplies for free.

I maintain their calendar, send reminders, keep my ear to the ground for advertising opportunities and do the little things that take time.

We LOVE Lilla Rose clips here! In fact, my two girls had a hair clip "open house" (took orders from friends), oh, about a year ago and sold $400+ worth of clips. Lilla Rose (the company) apparently hadn't done any, or many, open houses like this before then and we apparently threw them off, lol. It took a few emails to get the party processed. But it was a LOT of fun, and we really do love the quality of these clips.

Hurray! I'm so glad you like your clips! I'm not surprised how well you did with your open house, I have been pleasantly surprised with how many clips I have sold online. I have a lot of repeat customers as well, once you try one you realize how great they work!

I have a small baby/toddler boutique online that I started myself about 7 years ago. (Not sure if it is okay to post the link here). It has done okay for a few years, though lately sales have been slow. I have been so busy with homeschooling that I haven't put much time on it lately. I'm trying to decide what the future will be for the shop. :001_smile:

I cleared the family room and turned it into a home dance studio. I teach 5 classes a week. It supports my dance habit, but in lean times I cut back on my own lessons and workshops and used the dance money for essentials. It really helped us through a few rough years and I put less than $500 into the room. DH uses the same room to teach a martial arts class.

Mine are both fledgling business, but one is breeding chickens, and the other is doing Bowen Therapy (a kind of remedial massage). I expect that when I'm up and running properly with chickens I'll be bringing in about $400 a week profit, and with Bowen Therapy $150 a week (working on 5 sessions a week @ $30 for 1hr session).

Do you mind sharing the info about the company that you do virtual work with? There have been several listed before but none of them want people from California? I don't know if our state has kind of restriction on this type of work or not.

Thanks

Sure, I meant to do that anyway....:D The company I'm contracted to is Working Solutions. They are always looking for new agents and it's a great company to work with. I'm not sure what states are a problem for them though. You'd have to go to the website and check it out. I originally wanted to work for LiveOps, but they weren't hiring in my state. I think these two companies have the best reputations when it comes to this line of work.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I cleared the family room and turned it into a home dance studio. I teach 5 classes a week. It supports my dance habit, but in lean times I cut back on my own lessons and workshops and used the dance money for essentials. It really helped us through a few rough years and I put less than $500 into the room. DH uses the same room to teach a martial arts class.

That is really cool!

What about medical transcription? I see all these ads for jobs and I know you need specialized training, but are they legitimate? And are there really that many jobs available that it would make the cost of the training worthwhile?

I looked into Typewell and even did all their tests to get accepted into their training program, but I am hesitant. Browsing their available jobs, I found none in the southeast at all! I'm afraid that I'll spend $400 on the training and still not find any work.

I do general transcription. You don't need any specialized training, but what you do need is a firm grasp on grammar, be able to research things online, and to be very comfortable with word processing programs. It helps to have secretarial experience or transcription experience. I'm considered an independent contractor and so I pay my own taxes. It's worked out well for me and has helped us through lean times.

What about medical transcription? I see all these ads for jobs and I know you need specialized training, but are they legitimate? And are there really that many jobs available that it would make the cost of the training worthwhile?

Having done 5 years of in-hospital medical transcription and 6 years of at-home medical transcription, I would say, in general, that medical transcription is not the place to go. Many, many of us have lost our jobs to computer software that transcribes what the doctor says, which is then edited by a human. I lost my job to a computer in 2010 - the year my husband was on unemployment for nearly the entire year!

There are transcription jobs available, but they are becoming fewer with each passing year. I have read that it saved five particular hospitals a total of seven million dollars per year to use computers and editors rather than transcriptionists.

I would recommend editing over transcribing, but this, too, has its downfalls. The local hospital transcription dept was dissolved and moved to eScription software. Some of the transcriptionists hired on with the new company as editors for the hospital's account, figuring it would be fairly simple because they were already familiar with the hospital's work. The report is the workload is NEVER consistent, and they work all day to get the required number of lines done, which, if the work had been steadily available, would have taken them half of the time. They sit around at home waiting for work rather than getting it done in a certain chunk of time and having their lives free the rest of the time. This, of course, likely does not happen in all companies, just the few I have heard about personally.

My neighbor went through a full-year, several thousand-dollar medical transcription course which guaranteed her a job when she was done if she passed. I encouraged her to do so because at the time, I was making $35-$100 per hour transcribing - really. She finished the course, and they have not found her a job yet after several years. The market just flopped.

Another poster mentioned general transcription, and I do not know anything about that - I am speaking only about medical transcription.

Edited by hearts4homeschooling

We teach online from home. My DH's full-time online teaching job is about to be cut though, he is the highest paid and it is a For-Profit school so he must go. We are considering some e-commerce options since he absolutely does not want to move back to CA, the only place he could practice law.

I do general transcription. You don't need any specialized training, but what you do need is a firm grasp on grammar, be able to research things online, and to be very comfortable with word processing programs. It helps to have secretarial experience or transcription experience. I'm considered an independent contractor and so I pay my own taxes. It's worked out well for me and has helped us through lean times.

How do you find jobs?

How do you find jobs?

If you want to learn more about general transcription check out these two places online.

transcriptionessentials.com

This is a great forum, but be prepared to research a lot before asking general questions. You will also need to register, but it's free.

http://www.transcriptiontalk.blogspot.com/

This has general information about the industry and was helpful when I was learning about the field.

If you want more specific information you can send me a PM. There are companies throughout the U.S. that hire independent contractors and pay a fair rate. The above resources helped me to learn what is a legitimate opportunity and what is not.

Having done 5 years of in-hospital medical transcription and 6 years of at-home medical transcription, I would say, in general, that medical transcription is not the place to go. Many, many of us have lost our jobs to computer software that transcribes what the doctor says, which is then edited by a human. I lost my job to a computer in 2010 - the year my husband was on unemployment for nearly the entire year!

There are transcription jobs available, but they are becoming fewer with each passing year. I have read that it saved five particular hospitals a total of seven million dollars per year to use computers and editors rather than transcriptionists.

I would recommend editing over transcribing, but this, too, has its downfalls. The local hospital transcription dept was dissolved and moved to eScription software. Some of the transcriptionists hired on with the new company as editors for the hospital's account, figuring it would be fairly simple because they were already familiar with the hospital's work. The report is the workload is NEVER consistent, and they work all day to get the required number of lines done, which, if the work had been steadily available, would have taken them half of the time. They sit around at home waiting for work rather than getting it done in a certain chunk of time and having their lives free the rest of the time. This, of course, likely does not happen in all companies, just the few I have heard about personally.

My neighbor went through a full-year, several thousand-dollar medical transcription course which guaranteed her a job when she was done if she passed. I encouraged her to do so because at the time, I was making $35-$100 per hour transcribing - really. She finished the course, and they have not found her a job yet after several years. The market just flopped.

Another poster mentioned general transcription, and I do not know anything about that - I am speaking only about medical transcription.

Ugh! So not what I wanted to hear. :-(

If you want to learn more about general transcription check out these two places online.

transcriptionessentials.com

This is a great forum, but be prepared to research a lot before asking general questions. You will also need to register, but it's free.

http://www.transcriptiontalk.blogspot.com/

This has general information about the industry and was helpful when I was learning about the field.

If you want more specific information you can send me a PM. There are companies throughout the U.S. that hire independent contractors and pay a fair rate. The above resources helped me to learn what is a legitimate opportunity and what is not.

Thanks! I just sent you a PM.

I looked into Typewell and even did all their tests to get accepted into their training program, but I am hesitant. Browsing their available jobs, I found none in the southeast at all! I'm afraid that I'll spend $400 on the training and still not find any work.

Yes, I understand this thought. How strong is your entrepreneurial spirit? I realize it might be easier said than done, but if there are colleges/universities near you that don't use TypeWell, you could try to introduce it to them. You could volunteer to do some classes to show them how it works. Usually it will benefit them financially because speech-to-text transcription is less per hour than ASL interpretation (by half where I live), and it's more thorough than note taking (plus it's providing communication access, not just notes). And TypeWell doesn't just have to be for students -- you could do board meetings, classes at senior centers or retirement homes, etc. (Oh, I wouldn't rely on job listings at TypeWell if that's what you saw; look at the websites of the universities near you to see if/what services they offer.)

In the end, to work from home, it doesn't matter that there aren't jobs in the Southeast -- you can do remote work. It's my understanding that this is a growing field and will continue to be so (esp. if not just limited to universities/schools). To me, it might be worth pursuing still because the pay is so good for working from home, and compared to the cost of the training. You could go and talk with people before doing the training to get a feel for the possibilities. Just some thoughts!!

Yes, I understand this thought. How strong is your entrepreneurial spirit? I realize it might be easier said than done, but if there are colleges/universities near you that don't use TypeWell, you could try to introduce it to them. You could volunteer to do some classes to show them how it works. Usually it will benefit them financially because speech-to-text transcription is less per hour than ASL interpretation (by half where I live), and it's more thorough than note taking (plus it's providing communication access, not just notes). And TypeWell doesn't just have to be for students -- you could do board meetings, classes at senior centers or retirement homes, etc. (Oh, I wouldn't rely on job listings at TypeWell if that's what you saw; look at the websites of the universities near you to see if/what services they offer.)

In the end, to work from home, it doesn't matter that there aren't jobs in the Southeast -- you can do remote work. It's my understanding that this is a growing field and will continue to be so (esp. if not just limited to universities/schools). To me, it might be worth pursuing still because the pay is so good for working from home, and compared to the cost of the training. You could go and talk with people before doing the training to get a feel for the possibilities. Just some thoughts!!

Thanks. I'm still giving it serious consideration, especially given the cost vs the cost of medical transcription training (and apparently the job outlook for MT! UGH!).