Menu

If your child told you...

I recall (as a tween/teen) expressing surprise that my mom knew some of the things I knew, such as, that a piano is a percussion instrument. My mom was not amused by my low estimation of her intelligence.

Don't worry; when your daughter has kids, that's when she will really be impressed by all that you managed and put up with.

Depends on the child and where the conversation was headed. Is the student asking to stop homeschooling or just chit chatting, imagining the future.

Ds17 out paced me early on, in math, writing and science. He was happy to be a self taught student, so I bought him materials that allowed him to do that. After that he started college right before he turned 16.

He can self teach himself just about anything, but that isn't the best way to learn some subjects. Discussions, alternate ideas and discourse are valuable learning tools that I could no longer offer him.

DD13 is more of a conversationalist, and isn't as self taught as ds. I could have continued to homeschool her, but we found a great little private school where she was happy, and has great teachers to work with her strengths. She is happy with a slower pace, and loves things like PE, art class and hanging out with friends at school doing projects. She could have continued to homeschool and would have been fine with it, but honestly she wasn't outgrowing it as fast as ds was.

Honestly? I'd shout hooray and then hand them their pile of books and tell them to get to it. :lol:

Independence has arrived and I am free :D

I'd let my child take over the reigns and see how it goes. Either two things will happen -they will do great and you can retire.

OR they will realise they have no clue and suddenly become more teachable and polite. :lol:

I was in charge of making my own educational decisions from the moment I entered first grade. I managed to do very well and get into Uni without a bit of guidance or homework help from my mother. I plan to back out of my kids education as soon as I can - making suggestions when needed or if asked. I certainly don't expect to be planning their education when they hit highschool.

This is not to say I WON'T help if asked - of course I will - I will do whatever my kids need me to do but micro-managing their education is not my plan.

Honestly? I'd shout hooray and then hand them their pile of books and tell them to get to it. :lol:

Independence has arrived and I am free :D

I'd let my child take over the reigns and see how it goes. Either two things will happen -they will do great and you can retire.

OR they will realise they have no clue and suddenly become more teachable and polite. :lol:

I was in charge of making my own educational decisions from the moment I entered first grade. I managed to do very well and get into Uni without a bit of guidance or homework help from my mother. I plan to back out of my kids education as soon as I can - making suggestions when needed or if asked. I certainly don't expect to be planning their education when they hit highschool.

This is not to say I WON'T help if asked - of course I will - I will do whatever my kids need me to do but micro-managing their education is not my plan.

I agree whole heartedly with your post. I am available to my children when they need help, but they mostly do it all on their own. I provide lots and lots of material and I expect them to figure it out. It has worked amazingly well and the dc are able to get to the bottom of an educational issue without much assistance from me. The burden of their education should not rest solely on my shoulders. It is their responsibility more than it is mine.

If your child told you, "I don't think you've got much left to teach me, I think I've pretty much exhausted what you've got to offer to me [educationally]", how would you react?

Let us assume that the child is 13-14 and that it was said calmly, in a matter of fact tone, during some trivial discussion on education.

I would be surprised if one of my kids said this because we approach school from a "let's learn together" angle in some cases or a "you go figure it out" in other cases. I feel like I do very little direct "teaching". And from a higher education perspective, I am qualified. :D

If this isn't a child that typically throws out statements like this and he or she meant it sincerely over a period of time, I might look at a change of style/curriculum/situation or even school if that were a feasible alternative. It really depends on many circumstances though. Sorry if your young teen said this to you! :grouphug:

I am laughing now - but, alas, I was not so collected when the scene took place. I managed to do a hissing "Ssssssssiiiiiiii..." and then the dear child had to go.

Now I am thinking we could spend some quality time with Homer when she comes back. She would probably be thrilled to demonstrate her ability to sight read, translate and comment some Greek. (I just have to find first a suitable chunk of lines that *I* can sight read and translate, LOL. :lol:) Maybe that would make her question her conclusions? LOL. I am still considering possible vengeance options. :D If you have some ideas, let me know!

After laughing so hard I snorted and soaked several hankies wiping my eyes, I'd get out, "Goedel, Escher, and Bach: The Eternal Braid" - a treatise pointing out the parallel concepts in math, art, and music through the works of these three geniuses -delves heavily into the philosophical realm - and announce that we were going to begin an eight week course of two hrs. per day discussing ad nauseum every possible intricacy of their work and end with an attempt to write a six part fugue! (Bach's the only one who has successfully completed one without breaking some rule of counterpoint.)

If the child hadn't commited suicide :D in the first two weeks, I'd congratulate him or her on their survival skills and ask him/her if there was anything else they'd like me to teach them...twelve tone rows still on the agenda as well as polytonal and atonal composition looming ahead combined with a probing study of Schoenberg and Webern yet to come. :lol:

I guarantee this would have my child begging for mercy.

But first, you should laugh yourself exhausted and then get some nice 70% cacao chocolate, a mocha, and a long bath and just revel in the innocence of youth! :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Faith

If your child told you, "I don't think you've got much left to teach me, I think I've pretty much exhausted what you've got to offer to me [educationally]", how would you react?

Let us assume that the child is 13-14 and that it was said calmly, in a matter of fact tone, during some trivial discussion on education.

The situation is, of course, highly hypothetical and any similarities with real persons are purely coincidental. :lol:

I know it is in the "job description" of this age group to know it all, but really, in that very moment, HOW does one react?

Should one feel offended because it is something that, even if you think it, you do not say to a parent?

Should one be angry? Sad? Paranoid that the child might be correct?

Should one plot vengeance with a particularly nasty assignment so that one can have one's own "a-ha! gotcha!" moment in return? :tongue_smilie:

I recall having said something similar to my mom. :D. She was college educated with honors ( Economics/Finance), worked full-time as a Banker and highly accomplished. She took it as a personal affront and gave me a huge lecture and went into a sulk that lasted for a week. :lol:

If my DD ever said that to me...I would roll my eyes mentally and go with the last option...plan my vengeance with a nasty assignment.;)

I am laughing now - but, alas, I was not so collected when the scene took place. I managed to do a hissing "Ssssssssiiiiiiii..." and then the dear child had to go.

Now I am thinking we could spend some quality time with Homer when she comes back. She would probably be thrilled to demonstrate her ability to sight read, translate and comment some Greek. (I just have to find first a suitable chunk of lines that *I* can sight read and translate, LOL. :lol:) Maybe that would make her question her conclusions? LOL. I am still considering possible vengeance options. :D If you have some ideas, let me know!

When I read your initial post, this is exactly what I thought. I would laugh, and then I would ratchet up that work load and show them just how much I know. My mind would also turn to vengeance. I probably have issues. :001_smile:

Wow. I guess I wouldn't find it funny. My oldest IS smarter than I am. He is taking AP Chemistry... I made a C in REGULAR Chemistry and took it in 10th grade. I haven't done any science since that time and don't remember anything. He's done AP STATS... I didn't have a clue. He's doing AP PRecalc...I don't have a clue. I made a composite 29 on the ACT , he made a 34. Yep, he has reached my limits. I can help his writing, but honestly that is about it. I wouldn't find it funny. I would find it true.

Just today he had to help me grade his Precalc test. He explained why some I had marked incorrect were correct...and he was right.. Sigh.. That is why I have him going to cc for dual credit and online AP classes. I'm only teaching English and Health to him. He's teaching himself Precalc.

Edited by choirfarm

After laughing so hard I snorted and soaked several hankies wiping my eyes, I'd get out, "Goedel, Escher, and Bach: The Eternal Braid" - a treatise pointing out the parallel concepts in math, art, and music through the works of these three geniuses -delves heavily into the philosophical realm - and announce that we were going to begin an eight week course of two hrs. per day discussing ad nauseum every possible intricacy of their work and end with an attempt to write a six part fugue! (Bach's the only one who has successfully completed one without breaking some rule of counterpoint.)

If the child hadn't commited suicide :D in the first two weeks, I'd congratulate him or her on their survival skills and ask him/her if there was anything else they'd like me to teach them...twelve tone rows still on the agenda as well as polytonal and atonal composition looming ahead combined with a probing study of Schoenberg and Webern yet to come. :lol:

But first, you should laugh yourself exhausted and then get some nice 70% cacao chocolate, a mocha, and a long bath and just revel in the innocence of youth! :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Faith

Hmm. After having read this, you could send your dd to study with Faith, since what you are doing isn't enough for her :D:D:D

I'd probably laugh. Then I'd decide whether to plot vengeance or make him/her prove it with a comprehensive list of what, exactly, he/she knows that I don't. I would probably say something about the rudeness of the statement as well.

:iagree:This was my first thought. I would bust out laughing with a prove it thought in my head.

I've had this happen. I just try to sound somewhat sympathetic and tell them that unfortunately, they are stuck with me as a teacher, and then try to arrange it so they have an opportunity soon to teach themselves whatever it is they feel that I am not teaching them (like suggesting that they call Grampa and ask him their endless questions about electronics). It is a bit hurtful, but it is much less hurtful than some other things that have been said to me from time to time. *I* know there are things I can teach them, but I also know that there are many things that they would like to know that I am incapable of teaching them, at least without getting a few years of time and energy to learn them first, which is unlikely to happen. As they get older, I expect them to teach themselves some of the things they want to know, and I have always expected that a good bit of what I have to teach them is not going to be something they value. Children tend to be rather shortsighted. That's why they have parents. : )

Nan

I also had a child tell me this. He was 14yo at the time. We took him to talk with the public school superintendent, who looked at his ITBS test scores and told us that the public school couldn't help him (his score were that high, I guess) and the superintendent suggested that we enroll him in a community college class to see how he did. So, next semester at 15yo, we enrolled him in a math class; the next semester we enrolled him in two classes, and at 16yo, we enrolled him full-time in community college. It worked for him....and for me ;) If he didn't think I could teach him, then he wasn't going to learn from me, kwim? We found other options for him that worked for him.

What if it is true?

DS surpassed me years ago in music reading and theory.

He surpassed me years ago in discrete mathematics and number theory.

I never knew much history or grammar and we learn together.

He is a much better writer than me, although I am very good.

DH teaches computer programming and science because

he is better at these than I am.

I am only superior to DS knowledge-wise in Languages and

Literature.

My suggestion: Get your DC some good online classes, or some

good classes at a demanding co-op.

After laughing so hard I snorted and soaked several hankies wiping my eyes, I'd get out, "Goedel, Escher, and Bach: The Eternal Braid" - a treatise pointing out the parallel concepts in math, art, and music through the works of these three geniuses -delves heavily into the philosophical realm

Brilliant. I like how you think, Faith.

This DD actually is interested in mathematics / logic / etc. Under that pretext I could present this work as her newest interdisciplinary reading, all while blinking my innocent eyes.

evil-transformation-0061.gif

Edited by Ester Maria

But Faithe, you haven't even touched on Schenkerian analysis and if you're going to cover 12 tone composition in any depth you will need to fully understand pitch class set analysis.

Actually I read Goedel, Escher, Bach when I was the age of the OP's daughter. Not saying I understood it, but I'm sure I thought I did!

Honestly, I would just laugh but if I had time to prepare I would go with the naive approach. I like that & am filing it away for my daughter's teen years lol.

Faith

I would not panic, but would also wonder if the child needed more input from different adults, wider intellectual stimulus. Calvin certainly reached that stage at about that age.

Laura

It is a valid concern and we do discuss her options as regards her future schooling arrangements - at the moment we are keeping all options open, although the chances are that she will be off in September - however, this child does have her moments of the "nothing is ever good enough for me" attitude. :lol: In hindsight, I think it was more a moment of that, than of a sincere concern that her present schooling arrangement might truly not be a good fit for her.

*I* would actually be the happiest to have her in a school or a regular distance education program, but then she pulls that same attitude about potential schools and umbrella programs and we never seem to agree about what, exactly she wants. I offered about a dozen different schooling options to her, but she is reluctant to commit to any particular arrangement. Her sister, on the other hand, was much more proactive - SHE came to ME with the details of what she wants, where she wants it, and how she intends to go about it while satisfying our minimum norms of what is important to us as parents. I wish this child did something like that (no, I am not trying to compare them - different kids, different personalities, and thus a different approach you take with them - but it would be much easier for all).

If this daughter is heavily into math' date=' and you've admitted it's not your area of strength, she may need to start learning more on her own or taking outside classes. Lots of us have students who have passed our own abilities in various areas. :leaving:[/quote']

She is very independent and proactive about her interests. :001_smile: I "lost" her in some areas already, but we compensated for that - she has access to materials she needs, DH took over some of the general oversight of what she does and she has periods of private tutoring too (IRL or Skype), although she is the kind that likes to crack things on her own.

The situation is, of course, highly hypothetical and any similarities with real persons are purely coincidental. :lol:

I know it is in the "job description" of this age group to know it all, but really, in that very moment, HOW does one react?

Should one feel offended because it is something that, even if you think it, you do not say to a parent?

Should one plot vengeance with a particularly nasty assignment so that one can have one's own "a-ha! gotcha!" moment in return? :tongue_smilie:

I have not read the thread. My response would be fine, then you are ready to begin work on your HS diploma. I would order the 4 yr course from American School and have him get to work on it. Also prep for the ACT or SAT. When he finishes the HS diploma, he can start college.

I really do have some deficiencies. I staggered through high school and actually found college easier. IMO the best learning is self-directed. I expect to be exhausted as a source at some point. That means it's time for them to take it from there. At that point, I can help with math, anything that requires applying math, understanding science that may be confusing, and study and research skills. I can help with some proofreading. But for secondary and post-secondary education in anything but math, this will need to be outsourced and they will have to claw their way through it.

Edited by laundrycrisis

But Faithe, you haven't even touched on Schenkerian analysis and if you're going to cover 12 tone composition in any depth you will need to fully understand pitch class set analysis.

Actually I read Goedel, Escher, Bach when I was the age of the OP's daughter. Not saying I understood it, but I'm sure I thought I did!

Honestly, I would just laugh but if I had time to prepare I would go with the naive approach. I like that & am filing it away for my daughter's teen years lol.

I spit coffee out my nose!!!! :lol:

You do know that some forms of torture are reserved for music majors only and are not legal to inflict upon the general public? :biggrinjester:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Oh good grief, I'd rather follow this thread, but I have to go to work and since the roads are horrible, I'd better get going early - 25 min. drive, 10:00 a.m. is when I'm due. It's a terrible thing being a quilter/fabric addict and having to slave away at a QUILT STORE!!!!! :D

Faith

My daughter who is behind in all of her subjects because of this very attitude will be taking a GED test soon. Well one of the practice ones from the GED book.

She pretty much told me she did not need to do school anymore because she knows enough. She's had that attitude for a couple of years now and has not been doing enough work to keep up. Now, she's behind, but she does not care because she already knows the stuff.

Dh came up with the GED so she can see that at this point she would not even graduate from highschool with what she knows.

She'll be 15 in April. We've been homeschooling for almost 6 years. She was failing 2nd grade when I pulled her out. She was already two grades behind because of moving around so much when she was a foster child.

What stinks is that she is super smart and I think she could easily catch up. I really do. She just won't put the effort into it. When she does try I'm blown away by how quickly she can pick something up.

I would be looking at a very high quality high school to place my child in. However, that may not be your solution if you are against it, but we have always said that if a school can meet our child's needs better, he will go. This could be for a variety of reasons.

Dawn

Or you could teach her to drive. I usually (at a different time so the two events don't seem linked) begin having my children do something scarily grownup or hard-type grownup. I take their comments as a manifestation of developmental narcissism (not sure I spelled that right) and boredom with our culture's long waiting period before full adulthood. The period when mine were learning to drive was a welcome relief to both parent and child. The child felt he was finally getting on with the job of learning to be an adult and I got to teach something easy for me to do that he whole-heartedly wanted to learn. Somehow, learning to write an essay didn't do that for either of us LOL. Adulthood seems scarily close during the middle teens, and at the same time, unimaginably far off. I know that as a stay-at-home mother and housewife, my boys don't see me as doing or knowing the things they will need to know to manage as an adult. Driving is one of the few obvious overlaps. So is going to college. These things happen in quick succession at the end of the teens in the US, so 15 is the lowest point and things improve from there. I know things are different in Europe re driving and university, but perhaps you can find something similar? Also, I panicked over my sons' attitude of thinking themselves better than most other people at 15. All three did it at that age, and with all three, it wore off. I'm not sure the stages an intelligent child goes through in the process of accepting that he is going to be better than most people at intellectual tasks has been documented, but I am beginning to suspect that this is a normal developmental stage, part of the process of accepting the problems, responsibilities, and advantages of being privelaged educationally and intellectually. In the next stage, they seem to realize what those advantages do not automatically bring them. For us, this was definately a time of discussion and more discussion, a little coersion, a lot of persuasion, much sympathy and patience, and lots of exploration of possibilities for education, careers, character, dreams, and personality.

Nan

I'd probably give a loud guffaw, but on the inside be a little hurt...at first. Then I'd be more realistic about it and assess whether she/he was actually correct. If I happened to have a particularly brilliant child, then you can be sure I'd go out of my way to change directions so that he/she could be challenged. But if it was more that my way of teaching didn't line up in the way that she/he learns best, then I'd work at figuring out a better way. I know that in our situation, my kids wouldn't have said that unless they believed it to be true; so, I'd need to get to the bottom of it.

On the other hand, we all knew all along that I wasn't very advanced in math skills. However, I always told them that as long as I kept one step ahead of them, we were doing okay.

I had one of mine say this not to me but to the Education Review Officer (ERO) from the Ministry of Education (NZ), at the only visit that I have ever had from them...about me! I think his actual words were..."I think I should go to school because lets face it, I am the smartest one here and I have to teach myself and I could learn a lot more there!!" Thankfully, the ERO lady was used to teens and said to me...everyone seems to have at least one who thinks his parents know absolutely nothing.

Said child did indeed go to school once he was 15...hung it out for 6 months and then came home after he realised that it was a huge waste of his time, he really didn't learn anything except to make money from selling homebaking at lunchtime...and that, to his amazement, his parents actually did know a lot more than he gave them credit for!!

That is horrifying! And funny - but in the moment horrifying!!!!

I pulled my ds from K (yes, kindergarten) at Thanksgiving. He is way ahead and we spent Dec. doing family things - reading, cooking, walking - just decompressing a little. We ran into his teacher from PS at the store and she asked how he likes hs. He said, "I love it. I get to play Wii all day." :blink: She gave me a look and carried on, but good heavens - really?

Ester Maria - You're much more even tempered than I am. I wouldn't be questioning vengence - it would begin immediately with all the little things they don't know. Planning the meal, making sure it's defrosted and cooked to come together at the same time, treating stains on laundry, remebering shampoo at the grocery store - all those little things that don't count, on top of the academics. Man, my kids would be hating life for a day or two.

T

Ester Maria - You're much more even tempered than I am. I wouldn't be questioning vengence - it would begin immediately with all the little things they don't know. Planning the meal, making sure it's defrosted and cooked to come together at the same time, treating stains on laundry, remebering shampoo at the grocery store - all those little things that don't count, on top of the academics. Man, my kids would be hating life for a day or two.

But see my oldest is better at that than me. I don't know what I'll do when he's gone. He reminds me to get things, does all the kids laundry, cooks when I need him to including times I've had to dash off in the middle of preparing a meal. I may not let him go to college....

Funny, but I'm thinking that you've done a good job!! Perhaps they can't see what else there is to learn, as they don't realize that others who know more than them? (Well, they haven't talked to people about what they need know, beyond what they have already learnt) So, if you were to have them do a couple weeks or so of "career options" where they talk to adults who are working in areas that interest them... and then actually find out the knowledge needed between where they are... and where they want to be.... Then you could mutually decide if what they need to learn is best learnt at home or outside of the home.

I think it's quite natural, and not necessarily bad, that they want to learn from others. You can take it as an insult, but you can also take it as a way to stretch them in at least some areas... beyond yourself.

I'm sure there are areas that you know much more than your children, but surely there are areas that you didn't specialize in... let someone else bust their tush in those areas :)

But see my oldest is better at that than me. I don't know what I'll do when he's gone. He reminds me to get things, does all the kids laundry, cooks when I need him to including times I've had to dash off in the middle of preparing a meal. I may not let him go to college....

Oh my you have a got a great kid there.

Funny story about kids who know everything. Tuesday night I lead the beaver scout troop here. That means I have 3 5yr olds and 1 6yr old in my troop. This Tuesday 2 of my 5 yr olds were away so just the two fo them. We were spending the night talking about coyotes. SO he says to me "You don't have to teach me about them I already know everything" with his little six year old attitude. SO I just chuckled and gave a "oh you do, do you?" At about the half way point we were playing a coyote vs lambs hide n' seek game, and he cut the side of his hand while hiding. So as I bandaged it up I said "How did you get cut?" so he replies "I don't know", so I of course respond with "But I thought you knew everything" And he let's out a big sigh, and in the biggest exasperated tone replies "I'm only 6 yrs old you know, that's not one of the things I have to know". :lol:

He also didn't think he knew everything when we headed outside to listen to the woods like a coyote and I decided to take a moment to show them some of the constellations. ;)

Usually when my oldest pulls the "I know everything/you know nothing card" it bites him in the behind. Most recently I was trying to give instructions to properly complete an assignment. He interrupted with the "I know, I know, stop talking now I know", So I stopped and walked away. About 10 minutes later I check on him and he is doing it completely wrong so I interject and inform him of his mistakes and that he will have to start over (it was map work in marker, no way to just correct the mistakes) to which he replies along with huge tears "I didn't know". Um yup that is why I was giving you instructions.

THen there is the fact I got that attitude towards my own parents at about 16 and well, it was proven right and I am still smarter than them with nothing to learn from them. Was the same with many of my high school teachers, those were the classes I self taught myself rather than going to class. I really hope we don't get to that point with my kids. I expect the attitude from them more as they grow but hope it is never proven right some day :tongue_smilie:

I spit coffee out my nose!!!! :lol:

You do know that some forms of torture are reserved for music majors only and are not legal to inflict upon the general public? :biggrinjester:

Faith

:lol: personally I suspect all but one of my lecturers also viewed Schenkerian analysis as torture ;)

OP, do look into the G, E and B book. If your DD is mathy she will probably like it regardless of her music background.