Menu

If your child told you...

If your child told you, "I don't think you've got much left to teach me, I think I've pretty much exhausted what you've got to offer to me [educationally]", how would you react?

Let us assume that the child is 13-14 and that it was said calmly, in a matter of fact tone, during some trivial discussion on education.

The situation is, of course, highly hypothetical and any similarities with real persons are purely coincidental. :lol:

I know it is in the "job description" of this age group to know it all, but really, in that very moment, HOW does one react?

Should one feel offended because it is something that, even if you think it, you do not say to a parent?

Should one be angry? Sad? Paranoid that the child might be correct?

Should one plot vengeance with a particularly nasty assignment so that one can have one's own "a-ha! gotcha!" moment in return? :tongue_smilie:

Well, I would take into account the child's personality.

If my daughter said it, I would be forced to take it seriously. She is probably right. She is the last person who would say something just to "be mean". It isn't her style.

I'm already running into a brick wall considering her math. We are taking Pre-A track with her right now (really just trying to figure out where I can go with her; it seems to be mostly review for her at this point), but very soon she will be ready for Algebra. I have no ability to teach her Algebra. Not in a way she will understand (she is emotionally a bit young).

Nico... well... he's a bit more sassy, even at only 2 1/2. :D

I should add that I have no... delusions concerning my ability to home educate. It will only go so far with me. Not because I'm dumb (lol), but because I am wired very differently than my children (who are much like my husband). My children will take a STEM route (which is something we aim for), but I'm wired more for literature and social sciences. My husband is the science/math brain, and his work is far too intense and time consuming for him to consider taking a large hand in their homeschooling. They will go back to school.

Edited by AimeeM

If your child told you, "I don't think you've got much left to teach me, I think I've pretty much exhausted what you've got to offer to me [educationally]", how would you react?

Let us assume that the child is 13-14 and that it was said calmly, in a matter of fact tone, during some trivial discussion on education.

The situation is, of course, highly hypothetical and any similarities with real persons are purely coincidental. :lol:

I know it is in the "job description" of this age group to know it all, but really, in that very moment, HOW does one react?

Should one feel offended because it is something that, even if you think it, you do not say to a parent?

Should one plot vengeance with a particularly nasty assignment so that one can have one's own "a-ha! gotcha!" moment in return? :tongue_smilie:

I would say that it is okay that if they feel that way, because I don't teach them. I am providing lots of learning opportunities and it is up their smart little self to make sure they catch it all.

I would initially be hurt, but after consuming a large quantity of chocolate I would consider their comments.

Are they correct in their assumptions? Is this true across the board or only in a few subject areas?

I would test their assumption with more challenging assignments. Allow them to prove their statements. I would probably apologize to said child for being so lax in my expectations and adjust accordingly. :tongue_smilie:

After resisting the urge to plot a nasty vengeance assignment I would probably respond calmly with something like. "I respect your opinion and I'm glad you feel secure enough in our relationship to share it with me. When I was your age I would have felt exactly the same way. Now that I am an adult I realize that youthful naivete is a blessing and I'll let you enjoy it until you grow up and realize you didn't know half of what you thought you did. In the meantime I'll just keep shepherding your education until your an adult because it's my job"

After resisting the urge to plot a nasty vengeance assignment I would probably respond calmly with something like. "I respect your opinion and I'm glad you feel secure enough in our relationship to share it with me. When I was your age I would have felt exactly the same way. Now that I am an adult I realize that youthful naivete is a blessing and I'll let you enjoy it until you grow up and realize you didn't know half of what you thought you did. In the meantime I'll just keep shepherding your education until your an adult because it's my job"

Seriously? That's so...mature and well-balanced. :D I'd probably throw my college degree in his face, ask him a few questions about neurobiology, then say something like, "Yeah, I didn't think so. Now go do your math." :tongue_smilie:

Oh, I HAVE been told this.

I just laugh. I remind said child that I have 3 degrees and have passed the ripe old age of 12 long ago, and I might know a thing or two he hasn't learned yet.

I tell him that "I have forgotten more than you will ever know" and he responds that yes, I must have forgotten it!

I would ask them to be more specific.

My oldest is 12, so not yet a teenager. But there are some subjects where this is the case for us.

That is true. My youngest is 12 and he actually does know more about science, his main passion, than I do. And probably math too, because it has been a long, long, long time!

Seriously? That's so...mature and well-balanced. :D I'd probably throw my college degree in his face, ask him a few questions about neurobiology, then say something like, "Yeah, I didn't think so. Now go do your math." :tongue_smilie:

I did say I'd have to resist the urge for vengeance. If it makes you feel better it would be followed up with go do your math and a few days of pointing out things I know that you don't just to reinforce the point.:tongue_smilie:

I would feel inclined to laugh, but would try to just smile. Then I would say this:

I would say that it is okay that if they feel that way, because I don't teach them. I am providing lots of learning opportunities and it is up their smart little self to make sure they catch it all.

Now it is quite true that I am not up to teaching HS-level STEM classes, which is why they'll either do CC coursework or actually go to high school. But I'm dang good at research, literature, and history.

I would go with your last idea!:tongue_smilie:

:smilielol5: :smilielol5:

Repeat as necessary. :grouphug:

Preferably in a language said child doesn't understand!

Seriously though, I'd look through the four year plan with her. She doesn't know what she doesn't know yet.

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.â€

Mark Twain

First, I guess I'd consider whether the child is correct.

She is smart - scary smart, I was never like that at her age - but hey, I am not the greatest dummie either! I am not ready to be discarded as a potential source of some knowledge and wisdom yet! :lol:

She said that so matter of factly, as though I have nothing left to offer to her, even not specifically HS-related (the chances are that she will not be HSed much longer anyway - a topic we have discussed thoroughly, with all the options for her and the ultimate choice will be hers, so this is not some kind of frustration speaking for lack of options).

Are they correct in their assumptions? Is this true across the board or only in a few subject areas?

Only in a few subject areas, this kid has got a looong way to go yet if she wants to out-Latin me. ;) Or out-anything-humanities me.

But... argh!!! :banghead:

That would be wise and mature. :D

I am still considering plotting a vengeance assignment, though. :tongue_smilie:

It sounds like a job for the killer circus monkeys, if you ask me.

Oops. Wrong thread*... :D

*See Mariann's "I'm sure I'm over-reacting" thread for details. :001_smile:

I just laugh. I remind said child that I have 3 degrees and have passed the ripe old age of 12 long ago, and I might know a thing or two he hasn't learned yet.

That is what I should have said, yes! But, eh, I was too taken aback to think clearly. :lol:

In The Great White North - thanks for that Twain quote! I really needed to remind myself of that to put it in perspective. :D

I'd probably laugh.QUOTE]

:iagree:

And then - after I had picked myself up off the floor and wiped the tears from my eyes - I would laugh a bit more.:lol::lol::lol:

After that was out of my system, I guess I would have to look at myself and admit that the amount of work, the intensity of the work, and the difficulty of the work has not been at the challenge level the child is craving.

Then, I would not waste another moment, but would endeavor to establish a mind-numbing, physically-exhausting educational program that would meet that challenge.

The kid wants to match wits?? Let the games begin!!!!!!:D

After doing a quick mental reading of the mood of the day, I would:

- laugh if the mood was obviously about trying to get a reaction from me

- if it was an attempt to bring up a topic for serious consideration, put on my impartial-looking face and prepare to drop whatever I was doing in order to listen (If the task wasn't urgent, like not letting the saute-ing onions burn). I'd make a course of action later.

This is a fun age in so many ways, but boy it can be a doozy, so unexpectedly at times, too! :D

Well, if it were my oldest child, it would be true with the exception of writing. Honestly, he has passed me in so many areas. Of course he is the one who would never say that. If my middle one said that, I would have trouble not getting angry.

I think laughter (not at the child of course) would get you the farthest. Because apparetnly they still need to learn some humility.:D

I am laughing now - but, alas, I was not so collected when the scene took place. I managed to do a hissing "Ssssssssiiiiiiii..." and then the dear child had to go.

Now I am thinking we could spend some quality time with Homer when she comes back. She would probably be thrilled to demonstrate her ability to sight read, translate and comment some Greek. (I just have to find first a suitable chunk of lines that *I* can sight read and translate, LOL. :lol:) Maybe that would make her question her conclusions? LOL. I am still considering possible vengeance options. :D If you have some ideas, let me know!

I had one of mine say this not to me but to the Education Review Officer (ERO) from the Ministry of Education (NZ), at the only visit that I have ever had from them...about me! I think his actual words were..."I think I should go to school because lets face it, I am the smartest one here and I have to teach myself and I could learn a lot more there!!" Thankfully, the ERO lady was used to teens and said to me...everyone seems to have at least one who thinks his parents know absolutely nothing.

Said child did indeed go to school once he was 15...hung it out for 6 months and then came home after he realised that it was a huge waste of his time, he really didn't learn anything except to make money from selling homebaking at lunchtime...and that, to his amazement, his parents actually did know a lot more than he gave them credit for!!

We have a little knot of young teens whose mommies are on this board who must never, ever meet IRL. The world isn't ready.

what was that Mark Twain saying?

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.â€

Someone I may know took an informal poll of her friends. It turned out that this is rather normal behavior for homeschooled teens ESPECIALLY during the 9th grade year when the grass is greener, and more exciting, at the local high school.

These same teens are said to complain if you give them too much work. Apparently their superior teen minds have room to believe that their homeschooling education is both too rigorous and inadequate.

Um, not that any 9th grader at my house could behave in such a way. :001_huh: Nope, my teen (who never leaves the house or does anything fun anymore) is going to the sold out Nerdfighter John and Hank Green book signing tour tonight, so she's feeling rather fortunate.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Well, I'm Southern, so a big fat "Bless your heart" would likely be the first thing out of my mouth. Is there a comparable phrase in Italian?

I would initially be hurt, but after consuming a large quantity of chocolate I would consider their comments.

I would test their assumption with more challenging assignments. Allow them to prove their statements. I would probably apologize to said child for being so lax in my expectations and adjust accordingly. :tongue_smilie:

This. Of course, this would be done in the sweetest Southern lady manner, with many "Bless your heart" comments.

I suppose this would be the mature thing to do:tongue_smilie:. I would still plot vengence.

:lol:

That would be wise and mature. :D

I am still considering plotting a vengeance assignment, though. :tongue_smilie:

Do it!

Someone I may know took an informal poll of her friends. It turned out that this is rather normal behavior for homeschooled teens ESPECIALLY during the 9th grade year when the grass is greener, and more exciting, at the local high school.

These same teens are said to complain if you give them too much work. Apparently their superior teen minds have room to believe that their homeschooling education is both too rigorous and inadequate.

Um, not that any 9th grader at my house could behave in such a way. :001_huh: Nope, my teen (who never leaves the house or does anything fun anymore) is going to the sold out Nerdfighter John and Hank Green book signing tour tonight, so she's feeling rather fortunate.

All of a sudden, I got this huge feeling of relief. Thanks for this.

Well, I would say most 13 or 14 year olds feel this way about their parents, whether they are homeschooled or not. :)

Susan

Sadly, I think I know some teens who would be accurate in that assessment. I don't believe Ester Maria falls in that category though.

Jokingly, I'd say then good, you are ready for the apprentice stage of your life.

Seriously, I might say that this means she's reached the level where she needs to do more self-directed learning, and she has until Monday noon to provide me with an outline of how she intends to approach that (while meeting state requirements) for the rest of the school year.

Without reading responses, I'd probably just laugh and agree.... :)

I am just the dumb mom, you know!

And both of my kids have passed me up educationally wise in some areas, but I am not as smart as you are Ester Maria!! I learn alongside, and ds (in college) is great to bounce things off of, since he is closer in age to dd. I am not afraid to ask questions or find out what I need to (or get help) to educate.

I do not believe I could keep a straight face.

Then I would probably orally quiz her about all the thing she doesn't yet know just to prove her wrong.

I tried that.

He responded with, "Well those are things you know how to DO and accomplish that I simply haven't had experience with yet. I am talking about knowledge - what do you KNOW?"

I was kind of flummoxed. What do I know? Well, lots of things! Gah!

I know it is in the "job description" of this age group to know it all, but really, in that very moment, HOW does one react? By not reacting. I wouldn't raise an eyelash. The wheels in my head would be turning qwuickly, but I would never let them know that.

Should one feel offended because it is something that, even if you think it, you do not say to a parent? "Almost emotionless, I might say: 'Hmmmm, maybe you are correct. How would we determine if you are correct?'

Should one be angry? Sad? Paranoid that the child might be correct?None of those -- I might wonder if perhaps there was more out there that he/she needed to learn, and I would embark upon an online search to find it -- veritas press? advanced courses on line. I would research everything and calmly 'offer' what said child hadn't realized you were holding in reserve.

I wouldn't -- I would say, well then it's probably time for student-directed learning, and I would have it all planned for him/her.

Edited by MariannNOVA