Menu

"Bless her heart"...a new one to add to the list

From a previous post, we discovered that it was OK to say something rude to or about someone as long as it was prefaced with "Bless her/your heart". Here's a new one:

As long as you say that God told you to tell me something and you truly didn't want to and you wrestled with and argued with him about doing it, it's OK to make a judgment on something you know nothing about. :glare::confused::001_huh:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that before, too. Maybe not exactly the same, but from someone I thought was a dear friend.

When we made the decision to send DS to high school, I told the former dear friend that it felt like I was ripping my arms off. her reply?

"I'd love to take the easy way out and send <child's name> to school. But God told me He wanted me to homeschool <child's name> through high school."

It still hurts, thinking about it.

It is also not gossip if other people talk about me/my family/my business, but couch it in "but, it's a prayer request". :glare:

Oh, this is my favorite one. :tongue_smilie::glare:

Unfortunately, "God told me to smack you up side the head too, but I talked him out of it" probably wouldn't work as a reply.

It is also not gossip if other people talk about me/my family/my business, but couch it in "but, it's a prayer request". :glare:

Yeah, my MIL does this. :glare: Probably why my DH is now atheist - only slightly kidding. His view of religion/religious people is very negative for sure.

From a previous post, we discovered that it was OK to say something rude to or about someone as long as it was prefaced with "Bless her/your heart". Here's a new one:

As long as you say that God told you to tell me something and you truly didn't want to and you wrestled with and argued with him about doing it, it's OK to make a judgment on something you know nothing about. :glare::confused::001_huh:

This makes me nuts and is far too common.

Our family also gets gossiped/'prayed' about...I have no idea why. It's bizarre.

Whenever I hear "God told me ___.." or "The Lord said _____ to me..." I always wonder just exactly how it happened. I mean did the person wake up one day and hear God speaking through the toaster? Or do they have a special phone or something? Whatever they have we apparently don't have it at our house. We read the Bible, pray and try to make wise and Biblical decisions, but we never hear voices, God or otherwise. I suspect what they are talking about is 'feeling' they have. But, I gotta wonder how they know it's coming from God and not from their own selfish desires.

I've heard that before, too. Maybe not exactly the same, but from someone I thought was a dear friend.

When we made the decision to send DS to high school, I told the former dear friend that it felt like I was ripping my arms off. her reply?

"I'd love to take the easy way out and send <child's name> to school. But God told me He wanted me to homeschool <child's name> through high school."

Sending your kid to school is NOT the easy way out. It's much

harder than homeschooling. Just ignore her words. And stop hanging

out with her. You need support in your decisions, not hurtful words!

Oh, this is my favorite one. :tongue_smilie::glare:

Unfortunately, "God told me to smack you up side the head too, but I talked him out of it" probably wouldn't work as a reply.

LOL!

This type of thing is what makes me hold churches at arm's length even though I am a staunch believer. I just can't handle that kind of conversation. I can't handle people blaming God for their lack of boundaries.

Whenever I hear "God told me ___.." or "The Lord said _____ to me..." I always wonder just exactly how it happened. I mean did the person wake up one day and hear God speaking through the toaster? Or do they have a special phone or something? Whatever they have we apparently don't have it at our house. We read the Bible, pray and try to make wise and Biblical decisions, but we never hear voices, God or otherwise. I suspect what they are talking about is 'feeling' they have. But, I gotta wonder how they know it's coming from God and not from their own selfish desires.

And asking if they have talked to their doctor about hearing voices doesn't go over well. (Yes, I mean that is a joke. I have extended family that hear voices. Some of whom attribute to God.)

LOL! A kindred thinker! I always wonder how that "God told me" thing looks and sounds :lol: Somehow saying "God told me" validates an action much better than saying "I have a feeling".

And asking if they have talked to their doctor about hearing voices doesn't go over well. (Yes, I mean that is a joke. I have extended family that hear voices. Some of whom attribute to God.)

Oh, my, yes! There have been a few to whom I would like to make that recommendation! Seriously, some are frightening! I have an aunt who stays up during the night and writes down what God tells her - she also ran for president a few cycles ago :lol::lol:.

Edited by CynthiaOK
serious grammar issues. didn't want a grammar ticket :)

Sending your kid to school is NOT the easy way out. It's much

harder than homeschooling. Just ignore her words. And stop hanging

out with her. You need support in your decisions, not hurtful words!

Thanks. :grouphug: you are really sweet. But she dropped us like a hot potato, our whole family. Our dhs were friends and our families had done tons of things together for years. But as soon as we made the school decision for ds, that was the end, even though I am still homeschooling my other kids.

It is still really painful.

I'm just wondering why God has to tell someone else to tell you. :confused: Reminds me of those JR High arguments you had with your friends..."Well, you tell her that I said..." blah blah blah.:lol:

:lol:

That's like the people in college and such (never happened to me) who say 'God told me we were meant to be together.' Then sometimes those same people were saying later, 'God told me to break up with you.'

A friend of ours said clearly, if God meant for me and that girl to be together, he forgot to send me the memo. :lol: (And that God must want him to be a polygamist, bc 5 girls came and said that to him that year!)

Thanks. :grouphug: you are really sweet. But she dropped us like a hot potato, our whole family. Our dhs were friends and our families had done tons of things together for years. But as soon as we made the school decision for ds, that was the end, even though I am still homeschooling my other kids.

It is still really painful.

we had this happen to us, too. We were totally unprepared to be dropped like this. Our kids had all been very close. It was very painful and confusing, and it still cuts a little every time I see the woman and she acts all sweet and loving while she quickly passes us. :001_huh:

Her/their loss, and totally unnecessary.

Wait till I tell dh tonight that God just told me we need some new furniture!! I think he might be sending me another message right now.

That's the message where he's telling you to buy me new furniture, too! :D

Aw DARN!!! RC beat me to it!!

But she is mistaken, and I am not. I already have my furniture picked out, and I'm absolutely CERTAIN God told you to get new furniture for your family and MINE. The confusion lies here: We are supposed to give RC our current furniture.

Sorry for the confusion.

:lol::lol::lol:

One of my pet Church People Peeves. It's even BETTER when someone voices "an unspoken request." It's like announcing, "My gossip is so salacious, so juicy, that I can't even say it out loud! But I'm so cool for having some!"

Terri

Oh no she di-int! That's horrible but I can relate......I have some friends who are more passive aggressive about our decisions to (or not to) homeschool.....One of the more annoying comments was " Well,homeschooling works for our family but not everyone can do it" I know it doesn't sound bad but it's the way it was said and the context of the conversation....it was very much like "well some people just can't handle it as well as I can" attitude.

Aw DARN!!! RC beat me to it!!

But she is mistaken, and I am not. I already have my furniture picked out, and I'm absolutely CERTAIN God told you to get new furniture for your family and MINE. The confusion lies here: We are supposed to give RC our current furniture.

Sorry for the confusion.

We shall take it before the king and divide it into two parts, you each get half a sofa. :tongue_smilie: <--joke

We shall take it before the king and divide it into two parts, you each get half a sofa. :tongue_smilie: <--joke

:D

I'm reminded by the homeschooling comment (regarding not everyone 'can' do it) about a comment I heard just the other day - many people in our church are participating in a 21 day corporate fast. Last night I was sitting in Bible study with a Mocha Frappe from McDonald's, clearly not participating in the fast. One lady said, 'I've seen many people do different things this year. It's just all about where you're at.'

I'm not sure it was supposed to be an insult, but it kinda felt like one... :001_huh: I'm just choosing to ignore it. Well, mostly. :D

One of my pet Church People Peeves. It's even BETTER when someone voices "an unspoken request." It's like announcing, "My gossip is so salacious, so juicy, that I can't even say it out loud! But I'm so cool for having some!"

Terri

Okay, I kid you not we had this happen once in a bible class. We had someone ask for a prayer request for someone else, except this person had asked him to keep it between the two of them. Someone he worked with, not even someone in the church. He thought it was totally appropriate that he could share private prayer requests from other places in our private class. He didn't even say it was an unspoken request, he shared the whole thing in class. :svengo: This was a financial class where some pretty private matters had been discussed. I sure changed my open prayer requests after that day, no telling who else he was asking to pray about my stuff.

:D

I'm reminded by the homeschooling comment (regarding not everyone 'can' do it) about a comment I heard just the other day - many people in our church are participating in a 21 day corporate fast. Last night I was sitting in Bible study with a Mocha Frappe from McDonald's, clearly not participating in the fast. One lady said, 'I've seen many people do different things this year. It's just all about where you're at.'

I'm not sure it was supposed to be an insult, but it kinda felt like one... :001_huh: I'm just choosing to ignore it. Well, mostly. :D

You could have took a big slurp and commented how you were helping God deal with her coveting issue. (I never think of these things at the time, only afterward)

Terri

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:I'm glad I wasn't sipping my tea when I read this. I also have a cold. It could have been ugly.;):lol::lol::lol:

Yes, this.

Oh no she di-int! That's horrible but I can relate......I have some friends who are more passive aggressive about our decisions to (or not to) homeschool.....One of the more annoying comments was " Well,homeschooling works for our family but not everyone can do it" I know it doesn't sound bad but it's the way it was said and the context of the conversation....it was very much like "well some people just can't handle it as well as I can" attitude.

she's RIGHT. Just saying.

I'm wondering, though..... do you worship the water she walks on? Just curious.;)

(I'm sorry, I feel an obnoxious streak coming on.):D

are you calling me FAT??!!!

Did everyone see that?

Oh no, bless your heart, I wouldn't do that. ;)

Actually the oversized recliner is good for kids that want to sit on mom's lap. Yeah, that's it.

See, now we're probably on a WTM hater prayer list somewhere.

:lol:

That's like the people in college and such (never happened to me) who say 'God told me we were meant to be together.' Then sometimes those same people were saying later, 'God told me to break up with you.'

A friend of ours said clearly, if God meant for me and that girl to be together, he forgot to send me the memo. :lol: (And that God must want him to be a polygamist, bc 5 girls came and said that to him that year!)

One of the older women from church told me that 7 young ladies had confided in her that God had told them that they would marry Mr. X (the most eligible young man at the church at that time). Mr. X married, but not to any of those 7.

I had a trampoline I was giving away and posted it on our church bulletin. I had 3 people e-mail me that God had given them the "go ahead" to take the trampoline. Unfortunately, I had already given it to someone else who had e-mailed me immediately and claimed it rather selfishly :D It worked for both of us ;)

Seriously, it makes me wonder what they think of God when these things happen. Does God really tell 3 people to take 1 trampoline? Does God really tell 5 young girls they will be the bride of Mr. X? How do they deal with their disappointment? their "death of a dream", etc.??? I'm not trying to bash anyone, but this is really disconcerting to me. I truly wished I had 4 trampolines to give away :tongue_smilie:

I have a friend like this. In her case, I know that she is an insecure person who feels the need to justify herself to others, but sometimes her words still hurt. :grouphug: