Menu

"Bless her heart"...a new one to add to the list

"God told me to do it" is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've seen people say that God was calling them to do something which turned out to be the biggest mistakes of their lives. It was very damaging to the faith of people who were connected to the situation (such as myself). Not to mention the people themselves who were just so sure, completely convinced that they were supposed to take their lives in a certain direction. Just because you feel very strongly about something, just because you pray, doesn't mean that you have God's seal of approval. :p

Sorry for the rant in a thread that I know has moved on to sofa mutilation. ;)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"God told me to do it" is one of my biggest pet peeves. I've seen people say that God was calling them to do something which turned out to be the biggest mistakes of their lives. It was very damaging to the faith of people who were connected to the situation (such as myself). Not to mention the people themselves who were just so sure, completely convinced that they were supposed to take their lives in a certain direction. Just because you feel very strongly about something, just because you pray, doesn't mean that you have God's seal of approval. :p

Sorry for the rant in a thread that I know has moved on to sofa mutilation. ;)

I know people who felt led to give to a church that was doing VERY well financially (they owned TWO BLOCKS of buildings, several floors each, a historic church, and another beautiful building, all set on a river in a downtown location) and yet it begged for more and more and more money. They wanted an ice cream truck for random acts of kindness during the summer, a bus to bring in kids from other neighborhoods (this one I could have supported) but when they wanted even MORE money for MORE buildings, dh and I had to leave. HAD to leave.

We knew families who felt called to keep giving to those building funds. One family paid all their money which was left after rent, utilities, and cc's, to the church. Then they put all their groceries on a Visa. :001_huh: Another family felt called to give all they had to the church, and their kids walked around in WINTER in New England with no coats. When they told me they didn't have money for coats for their kids, I was dumbfounded.:glare:

Reminds me of one small church where the prayer request line was infamous for being the "gossip" hotline. ;)

A church I once attended? :lol:

I actually texted one woman back and fussed at her about incorrect (and unnecessary) info that she sent out as part of the 'prayer chain'. I got a call soon after from another member of the prayer chain because I had done it. :D

Reminds me of one small church where the prayer request line was infamous for being the "gossip" hotline. ;)

A church I once attended? :lol:

I actually texted one woman back and fussed at her about incorrect (and unnecessary) info that she sent out as part of the 'prayer chain'. I got a call soon after from another member of the prayer chain because I had done it. :D

Do I have to remind you two of EVERYTHING? You're not doing this right! You both need to end with, "Bless your heart," or, "Well bless their heart." Sheesh!

It just makes it sound funnier.:lol::lol::lol:

I once attended a Bible study at a church where the women running it sat us all down during the first meeting and told us not to pray in a gossipy way and to keep each other's confidences. I mean, on one hand, I'm glad they recognized that it was a problem and were willing to speak out against it, but at the time I was just dumbfounded that it was needed and made me hesitant to share as much.

But she is mistaken, and I am not. I already have my furniture picked out, and I'm absolutely CERTAIN God told you to get new furniture for your family and MINE. The confusion lies here: We are supposed to give RC our current furniture.

No, no, no. I already have current furniture. I get the new stuff.

No, no, no. I already have current furniture. I get the new stuff.

And God made the trees, tree that would be called forth and be turned into furniture. And God made geese, geese that would be called forth and the down from their feathers turned into cushions. And God made silkworms, silkworms that would be called forth to make silk that would be woven into fabric. And Lo, God saw what He had done and He called it good. Then he said unto the people, go forth and multiply and as you do I shall supply unto you sofas, abundant and overflowing. So long as there are trees, geese, and silkworms you shalt have a cushion upon which to place your tush. So go in peace, RC and Denise, there are sofas enough for all.

And God made the trees, tree that would be called forth and be turned into furniture. And God made geese, geese that would be called forth and the down from their feathers turned into cushions. And God made silkworms, silkworms that would be called forth to make silk that would be woven into fabric. And Lo, God saw what He had done and He called it good. Then he said unto the people, go forth and multiply and as you do I shall supply unto you sofas, abundant and overflowing. So long as there are trees, geese, and silkworms you shalt have a cushion upon which to place your tush. So go in peace, RC and Denise, there are sofas enough for all.

I think this will be our memory verse this week :lol: Which book in the bible talks about Starbucks? That's the one I really need to hear ;)

From a previous post, we discovered that it was OK to say something rude to or about someone as long as it was prefaced with "Bless her/your heart". Here's a new one:

As long as you say that God told you to tell me something and you truly didn't want to and you wrestled with and argued with him about doing it, it's OK to make a judgment on something you know nothing about. :glare::confused::001_huh:

"God told me you'd say that and that, out of Love, I should humor your pathological need to micromanage my life." :D

To elegantlion, don't worry. Tell your dh that God told me you didn't have to clean today.

And please God, teach me how to cut and paste comments!!

You have to select the icon with the quotation marks in it. It's at the end of the comment just to the right of the "quote" button. When you hit reply, all of the posts you marked with the quote button will be there awaiting your comments.

The poor dear can't work the interwebs. Bless her heart.

From a previous post, we discovered that it was OK to say something rude to or about someone as long as it was prefaced with "Bless her/your heart". Here's a new one:

As long as you say that God told you to tell me something and you truly didn't want to and you wrestled with and argued with him about doing it, it's OK to make a judgment on something you know nothing about. :glare::confused::001_huh:

"There are meds for that now, bless your heart."

Ok, seriously... Diet coke just came out my nose. :lol::lol::lol:

I say all the time that God gets blamed for a lot of things he supposedly told someone to say or do.

I will say right here and now that I have never actually heard God tell me to do or not do anything. I'm not all that sure he has ever actually "laid anything on my heart" either. I simply read the Bible, try to follow it as best I can, and keep in mind the fact that God is sovereign.

I'll leave the "word from God" interpretations up to the Olympic Christians. :glare:

Thanks. :grouphug: you are really sweet. But she dropped us like a hot potato, our whole family. Our dhs were friends and our families had done tons of things together for years. But as soon as we made the school decision for ds, that was the end, even though I am still homeschooling my other kids.

It is still really painful.

How absolutely awful. That was no true friend. :grouphug::grouphug:

I've heard that before, too. Maybe not exactly the same, but from someone I thought was a dear friend.

When we made the decision to send DS to high school, I told the former dear friend that it felt like I was ripping my arms off. her reply?

"I'd love to take the easy way out and send <child's name> to school. But God told me He wanted me to homeschool <child's name> through high school."

It still hurts, thinking about it.

OUCH!!! That hurts just reading it. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

ETA: My 'favorite' is: 'The Lord isn't moving me to 'help on that project,' (in red, for instance) which a long time ago I decided meant: I am not getting up off of my behind to do it.

Edited by MariannNOVA

"God told me you'd say that and that, out of Love, I should humor your pathological need to micromanage my life." :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Y'all just made my morning! Now I just need to commit these to memory. :D

Ok, seriously... Diet coke just came out my nose. :lol::lol::lol:

I say all the time that God gets blamed for a lot of things he supposedly told someone to say or do.

I will say right here and now that I have never actually heard God tell me to do or not do anything. I'm not all that sure he has ever actually "laid anything on my heart" either. I simply read the Bible, try to follow it as best I can, and keep in mind the fact that God is sovereign.

I'll leave the "word from God" interpretations up to the Olympic Christians. :glare:

:iagree:

It is also not gossip if other people talk about me/my family/my business, but couch it in "but, it's a prayer request". :glare:

Oh. My. Word.

Used to be that I only had MIL doing that. Now my mother is apparently the Supreme Being at her church, running everything, and I'm a topic of prayer there too.

Honest to Peter, it ticks me off. Two entire church bodies, that I know nothing about, wouldn't know anyone if I tripped over them, know my medical sitatuation. I know that it's really nothing to do w/me, it's about the attention that both my mom and MIL get for having 'your poor dd/dil...'

Huge dif btwn someone that *offers* to pray for you, asks if they can put your name forward, and someone that tells you in this breathless, eager voice how they stood up in church and announced every. last. detail. they had about you to a group of strangers.

Even more so when you hear, "Well, my entire church is praying for you, I don't understand why you're not healed..." and goes on to suggest that my faith is lacking.

And then there's the health advice.

Ppl who have NO CLUE what RSD even is passing along 'guaranteed' cures. B/c they know someone who is Jane's 2nd cousin's wife's sister's aunt who had a terrible hangnail, and this worked for her, so it'll work for you.

I've quit telling my mother anything about RSD, and forbidden Wolf from telling MIL. I quit telling MIL anything when she would get this eager, excited tone, pressing for more info.

Blech.

:lol::lol::lol:

Is this in Genesis?:tongue_smilie:

To elegantlion, don't worry. Tell your dh that God told me you didn't have to clean today.

And please God, teach me how to cut and paste comments!!

You have to select the icon with the quotation marks in it. It's at the end of the comment just to the right of the "quote" button. When you hit reply, all of the posts you marked with the quote button will be there awaiting your comments.

The poor dear can't work the interwebs. Bless her heart.

KungFuPanda now thinks she's God. Bless her heart!:lol:

KungFuPanda now thinks she's God. Bless her heart!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Perfect. :D

:lol:

I was just trying to HELP and you guys get all snarky. I just feel blessed that I'm above this. I'll put you both on my prayer chain so that the parish can pray for your damaged hearts. One day, when your faith is in a more evolved place (except evolution doesn't exist) you will track me down and THANK me for caring about your wretched souls!

Now, may I offer you a cup of kool-aid to wash down that crow?

:smilielol5:

I was just trying to HELP and you guys get all snarky. I just feel blessed that I'm above this. I'll put you both on my prayer chain so that the parish can pray for your damaged hearts. One day, when your faith is in a more evolved place (except evolution doesn't exist) you will track me down and THANK me for caring about your wretched souls!

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

OUCH!!! That hurts just reading it. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

ETA: My 'favorite' is: 'The Lord isn't moving me to 'help on that project,' (in red, for instance) which a long time ago I decided meant: I am not getting up off of my behind to do it.

Oh, no! Please don't go there....I have actually used this one several times. I don't like the language, but I felt it was warranted b/c it's the language spoken by the people I was answering. :D It also seemed to be the only way they would take no for an answer. My real meaning was "After thinking carefully about what God requires of me, I realize that I cannot do x, y or z, without compromising my homeschool and family commitments."

I just figured I'd put it in terms they can understand and accept without giving me an answer explaining how I can teach 3 co-op classes, take care of my mom and uncle, deal with my own auto-immune disorder and run my household while homeschooling.:huh:

This thread is hilarious!

Once, I had a heated phone argument with someone, but the person didn't engage; she dismissed herself off the phone.

Later, when we spoke again, I accused her of wimping out and running away from the "discussion." She said, "I was holding my tongue. God told me not to respond." I, having inside knowledge of what she had done after the earlier argument, retorted, "Oh, really? Did God also tell you to call 'X' and blab to her about it?"

*cue chirping crickets* ;)

I don't like the language, but I felt it was warranted b/c it's the language spoken by the people I was answering.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's just easier to deal with them on their own terms. I've done that myself (although I'm usually blushing and stumbling over my words). I often feel like such a heathen when I try to explain myself in every day lingo; I feel more accepted when using this type of christian-ese. So I drink the kool-aid ;) occasionally.

Many of my homeschool acquaintances look at me like I'm crazy when I say that God didn't "call" me to homeschool any more than he "called" me to buy a Suburban or choose the field of Pharmacy as my major. He called me to be the best mother I can be to my boys and homeschooling fits that requirement for us. But in their world, that's how things are said - I still refuse to say the "called" thing, though :)

Once, I had a heated phone argument with someone, but the person didn't engage; she dismissed herself off the phone.

Later, when we spoke again, I accused her of wimping out and running away from the "discussion." She said, "I was holding my tongue. God told me not to respond." I, having inside knowledge of what she had done after the earlier argument, retorted, "Oh, really? Did God also tell you to call 'X' and blab to her about it?"

:lol: I have a pretty similar experience.

:lol: This thread is hilarious! I just told my friend whose family is going through some tough stuff that if someone asks her to do anything else she should just tell them she would prayerfully consider the request. Later when reasked, she can just say she didn't feel God was calling her to ________(insert whatever task). Pretty sad when you give "no" for an answer you get a guilt trip but if you couch it in the above terms, it is acceptable.

Purple kool aid?

My you have a bit of sarcasm in you, sistah.. you nasty, wretched little dear. Bless your heart.

Purple kool aid?

My you have a bit of sarcasm in you, sistah.. you nasty, wretched little dear. Bless your heart.

If you would bother to attend services, you'd know that the Kool Aid isn't purple until Lent. I'll send up an Unspoken request for you and a few dozen Hail Marys.

If you would bother to attend services, you'd know that the Kool Aid isn't purple until Lent. I'll send up an Unspoken request for you and a few dozen Hail Marys.

I will pray for that root of bitterness that is growing in your heart. Maybe some of Elegantlion's rum will help you some. Mix it with the kool aid.

Bless your heart.:D

I will pray for that root of bitterness that is growing in your heart. Maybe some of Elegantlion's rum will help you some. Mix it with the kool aid.

Bless your heart.:D

NO!!! Bless YOUR heart! I'm growing the bitter roots for my Passover meal if you MUST know! ::stomps off to find the remote::

Edited by KungFuPanda