Menu

Chick-Fil-A new menu item for kids ...

I'm more impressed by that fact that children can no longer get soda with their meal.

Chick-Fil-A nuggets were already so much healthier than anything else out there. They are real pieces of meat, not chicken scraps thrown in a blender with a bunch of corn and other fillers. That's the only place I will let my dc order chicken nuggets. They also have healthy soup and salads and fruit options. And their kid's meal toys are never tied to adult movies (they usually give educational books or activity kits in them, often about history or science,) which is a plus! :D

My middle dd is too old for a kid's meal now, but she would have loved the new nuggets. She always orders grilled chicken when we are out to eat.

I doubt it will combat obesity in children, either, but because people are silly enough to blame it on the restaurants themselves, they have to do something that looks positive.

I'm more impressed by that fact that children can no longer get soda with their meal.QUOTE]

The option to get something besides soda has been around for a while though. My dds only get soda when we eat out as a treat and I highly doubt they will tell me no at the counter when I still order one.

The option to get something besides soda has been around for a while though. My dds only get soda when we eat out as a treat and I highly doubt they will tell me no at the counter when I still order one.

No, not an option to get something other than soda, which is how it is now. The article says that they will not offer soda in the meals at all.

No, not an option to get something other than soda, which is how it is now. The article says that they will not offer soda in the meals at all.

Must be regional then. Pretty much everywhere we eat out here offers milk or juice (and some lemonade, such as Chick Fil A) with a kids meal. I still don't think I will be unable to order a soda when I tell them that is what I prefer, especially since I also order a kids meal when we eat there.

I'm more impressed by that fact that children can no longer get soda with their meal.QUOTE]

I agree with the doubting they tell you no at the counter.

We rarely go to Chick fil a anyway. But an absolute "We're going to tell you what you can allow your kid to drink" would push us away. Sometimes we get milk when out but more often we get soda for our kid. He wants it. If I was drinking water I might feel like limiting what he drinks. But I have no problem with an occasional soda for my kid either. He gets lots of milk at home. When you go out to eat you want to drink something you can't get at home.

Or we won't buy him a separate meal. We'll get a meal to share and an extra drink. We do that often enough anyway because I don't like paying the cheap toy premium.

Maybe it will help if I quote the article: "Children's beverage options will be limited to 1% milk, 100% apple juice, lemonade and water."

I'm not commenting on whether this will happen or not, I was just commenting on what the actual article said. :001_smile:

There's just something really wrong with this! You seriously have to tell a parent what their child can and cannot have to drink?? Sheesh! My kids rarely drink soda except when we are out. They often have lemonade at Chick Fil A which is about the only fast food place we go to. But still, that's just weird.

Improved beverage options: Kid’s Meal beverage offerings will be changed to only feature one percent milk, 100 percent apple juice, Chick-fil-A’s freshly squeezed lemonade (30 percent DV vitamin C), and water as drink options.

That's the quote from their website. I can't see them refusing to serve soda to a child. It says they will only feature these specific drinks. I suppose it's so parents can tell their child that's the only options without their kids blaming the parent or something and/or the parent, God forbid, having to tell their child no themselves. Chick Fil A just made themselves the scape goat for wimpy parents. :lol:

You will still be able to order a soda for your kid; it just won't be included in the price of the kids meal. You'll have to pay extra just like you would if you wanted juice or milk with an adult combo. They're not forcing a parenting decision, just restructuring what will be included in the meal options. You are free to order soda, large fries, or whatever else you would like.

There's just something really wrong with this! You seriously have to tell a parent what their child can and cannot have to drink?? Sheesh! My kids rarely drink soda except when we are out. They often have lemonade at Chick Fil A which is about the only fast food place we go to. But still, that's just weird.

Well, that's just twisted logic. No one is saying you can't buy your child a soda. The company is saying that soda isn't an option with those meals. You can certainly buy separately if giving your kid a soda is really important to you.

It's no different than limiting the other options: no supersizing, no dessert included, no free pet elephant...

You will still be able to order a soda for your kid; it just won't be included in the price of the kids meal. You'll have to pay extra just like you would if you wanted juice or milk with an adult combo. They're not forcing a parenting decision, just restructuring what will be included in the meal options. You are free to order soda, large fries, or whatever else you would like.

That's why I said one of the things we'd do is share a meal and order an extra drink. Not going to order a kids meal AND A drink at this point in time. We'd just forego the kids meal entirely.

OTOH, it would make Chick-fil-a a less attractive place to go anyway. AS it is we end up at BK or McDonald's most of the time because their play places are more friendly for parents with kids.

Well, that's just twisted logic. No one is saying you can't buy your child a soda. The company is saying that soda isn't an option with those meals. You can certainly buy separately if giving your kid a soda is really important to you.

It's no different than limiting the other options: no supersizing, no dessert included, no free pet elephant...

Of course they can. But it will change how people do business with them as well. ANd people can express their displeasure as well as others expressing their pleasure.

I agree with the doubting they tell you no at the counter.

We rarely go to Chick fil a anyway. But an absolute "We're going to tell you what you can allow your kid to drink" would push us away. Sometimes we get milk when out but more often we get soda for our kid. He wants it. If I was drinking water I might feel like limiting what he drinks. But I have no problem with an occasional soda for my kid either. He gets lots of milk at home. When you go out to eat you want to drink something you can't get at home.

I always think of these menu changes as being targeted at kids who eat many meals out a week. These changes would make it easier for the parents to tell the kids that they have no other choice but to eat the "healthy" food.

I don't like being told what to do with my kids, either, though. :glare:

That's why I said one of the things we'd do is share a meal and order an extra drink. Not going to order a kids meal AND A drink at this point in time. We'd just forego the kids meal entirely.

OTOH, it would make Chick-fil-a a less attractive place to go anyway. AS it is we end up at BK or McDonald's most of the time because their play places are more friendly for parents with kids.

Of course they can. But it will change how people do business with them as well. ANd people can express their displeasure as well as others expressing their pleasure.

Sure they can. But if they use unsound logic to found their argument they just look silly.

We lived in Chick Fil A capital, went to church with S Truett, knew several VPs as well, our scouting troop sells the cow calendars and cheesecakes as our main fundraiser...I guess you could say I know CFA welll...

Yes, you absolutely can get a soda

Yes, the grilled nuggets are very tasty, I have had them twice now. Milk has always been available as an option as long as they have had kids meals, apple juice and lemonade came along as options later..they are very much about making you what you need...I get the unsweet tea and ask for a splash of lemonde, it is always perfect..they have phenomenal scholarship grants for their workers, support an awesome camp for children with needs..so if we ever do eat out we try to give our money there.

So, you CAN'T get fries and soda with a kids meal?

I'm already part of a boycott on chick-fil-a, but this would be one more reason not to eat there. We don't eat out often, but when we do it's specifically as a treat. We can have fruit and milk at home (and in fact.... that's just what DD is eating now for lunch! :tongue_smilie:)

I think chick-fil-a will not like the results of this change on their profits.

I'm less impressed by their rule that children cannot get soda with their meal. When they are paying for the kid's meal for my child, they can dictate the beverage.

With that said, our treat of eating fast food means that when we DO go, the last thing I want is to eat something I could easily make at home (grilled chicken nuggets and sliced fruit?). Nah - I'm in the market for something I do not eat on a daily basis.

The CFA here has juice, milk, etc., as an option with kids meals. We ate there last month. No extra charge either as some places do for the milk.

I don't agree with saying the kid can't have soda though. Parents should have that choice - milk, juice, soda, whatever. I do love the "choice" of grilled nuggets. My kids will probably like those. I like their grilled chicken sandwich, and that it is so easy to get no condiments on whatever. Fruit cup is fantastic there. :) We have one but not really close to our house so don't eat there too much. Wish it was closer and the McD was the one nice and far away.

Edited by WeeBeaks

The CFA here has juice, milk, etc., as an option with kids meals. We ate there last month. No extra charge either as some places do for the milk.

I don't agree with saying the kid can't have soda though. Parents should have that choice - milk, juice, soda, whatever. I do love the "choice" of grilled nuggets. My kids will probably like those. I like their grilled chicken sandwich, and that it is so easy to get no condiments on whatever. Fruit cup is fantastic there. :) We have one but not really close to our house so don't eat there too much. Wish it was closer and the McD was the one nice and far away.

I must have worded that poorly. I'm saying that it's not *just* an option to get those other things. That's the way it is now. In the article they say that you will *only* be able to get non-soda items to drink.

The phrasing that they will only "feature" juice, milk, and lemonade makes me think that those will be the listed choices, but you will be able to request soda.

I'm surprised to hear about the Subway (or any place) refusing the soda substitute. Milk in a plastic bottle is MUCH more expensive than a fountain soft drink, so individual locations must be terribly tempted to say yes even if it breaks a corporate rule.

Chick-Fil_A has a different demographic than other fast food places. I think they know their customers and will find people who eat at their restaurants supportive of these changes.

I agree that they have slightly different demographics but... all I was saying is that for the people who eat out as a special treat, I believe the new menu will deter people from choosing Chick-Fil-A over other places. It's not really a treat if they force parents to either get the fruit and milk or pay extra.

All right, now THAT'S a deal-breaker. I can deal with no super-sizing and no dessert included, but no free pet elephant? INCONCEIVABLE! :lol:

In all seriousness, I find it interesting the outrage over soda not being featured in kids meals, given all the threads about how horrible it is to give kids soda. If I had small children, I'd go there more for that reason alone.

So, you CAN'T get fries and soda with a kids meal?

I'm already part of a boycott on chick-fil-a, but this would be one more reason not to eat there. We don't eat out often, but when we do it's specifically as a treat. We can have fruit and milk at home (and in fact.... that's just what DD is eating now for lunch! :tongue_smilie:)

I think chick-fil-a will not like the results of this change on their profits.

Sitting at Chuck fil A right now...Fries are still listed as an option on the menu. At least at our CFA you can request soda. It is not listed but neither are shakes (with the meal). I have a friend who always gets a shake instead of a soda. You just have to ask possibly pay a little more. But you don't need to get 2 drinks. I can't speak for other CFA's but ours will pretty much do whatever you ask.

It's lunch time.

There are lots of families with kids here. And no one has had any issues...or seems to mind. Grilled nuggets are very good.

The nice thing is that it's a grilled, low carb, portion controlled option for me :). Kids meals with fruit are often my default when we do the "it's cold, so let's meet for lunch and let the kids play at the indoor playground" thing, and 6 piece grilled nuggets and a fruit cup sounds like a great choice.

My DD would probably pick fried, but since her pediatrician says she needs more fat and calories, I'm not too worried about a chick-fil-a nugget :).

All of this is making me crave Chick-Fil-A. Just have to share that here, because if I tell DH - he will laugh at me. :tongue_smilie:

We don't do Chick-Fil-A because of food allergies, but I often have Kids' Meal envy... They have the best of the little kids meal toys! In fact, one year when they had science kits, I ate kid's meals just to get the kits for DS. Silly.

Grilled nuggets... I think that's a great idea. Now I'm plotting to make a Chick-Fil-A run.

I must have worded that poorly. I'm saying that it's not *just* an option to get those other things. That's the way it is now. In the article they say that you will *only* be able to get non-soda items to drink.

My DD doesn't like soda, but what I sometimes do at Subway when she wants lemonade instead of the milk is that I'll get the lemonade on my meal, get water for me, and take the milk home, which I'll then, the next time we're packing a lunch to eat on the run, stick in the lunch box with an ice pack. They've never had any trouble with me waiting to get the milk until right before we leave.

I've had Subway flat out tell me no about changing drinks or sides with their kids meal. If I'm paying for the meal, I don't see what the big deal is. I stood there and explained how the drink and chips I wanted for my child's meal cost exactly the same or LESS than what they listed. Eventually she did give me what I asked for but she wasn't happy about it. By the way, this was right after they'd made the switch to the kids meals they have now. Incidentally, I haven't bothered going back.

As for CFA, I LOVE them! But I have to agree that if they charge me more for the same kids meal I used to buy just because they don't want to offer fries or sweet tea, it will drop on my list of places to go simply out of principle.