Menu

This is hard.

Stellalarella

:iagree:

This is our first year, and I am wondering, can I keep this up next year?

I am exhausted, and yet I love it. I just wish it was a little more balanced.

All the work, the wondering how we are doing, the motivating, the directing, the teaching (not to mention the usual housework) .... is so overwhelming!!

Yet, I am not ready to throw in the towel, at least not at this moment.

It is so hard.

Today I cried after a standoff with my 9yr old :(

It hurts, yet I tell myself that if we weren't fighting about homeschool, we might be fighting about something she came home with from public school. So maybe it's the age and stage rather than the 'homeschool'.

Raising children is very emotionally taxing among other things.

I remember your post about LOF and how math was going well. Is that still going well?

Thanks for asking, Julie. I have a first grader doing LOF and loving it. The 7th grader had a take a break from LOF algebra to use a textbook that had more clear explanations, but he'll get back to it.

Best wishes to you

It is so hard.

It hurts, yet I tell myself that if we weren't fighting about homeschool, we might be fighting about something she came home with from public school. So maybe it's the age and stage rather than the 'homeschool'.

I hear you. Thank you for sharing.

This is our second year and I'm so much more organized than I was last year. It's much easier now that I have a stronger grip on things like: how long things actually take, what needs to be covered each year, a better understanding of how much time we actually have in a year...

I feel like last year exhausted me mostly because of how much I was researching on homeschool. Now I feel I don't need to research quite as much, so that's a big chunk of the load.

It gets easier! (until high school anyway, which scares the bjeezuz out of me)

I'm sorry. Has he seen a home school day in action? My dh already understood to a degree but after seeing us go through a entire school day on a day he had off he was in awe. ;)

I worked part time for a while last year and my dh had to do school with the kids a couple of times a week - best thing that could've happened. In the end the job didn't work out and I'm back to full-time hs'ing (which I prefer) but he completely and totally understands now.

Homeschooling is a challenge.

Not saying it's not worth it.

It's just labor intensive.

And now back to building future citizens who can read, think, write, balance a checkbook, perform heart surgery and fly an airplane.

Sing it sister!

Although, I have to say it's a lot easier now than it was five years ago when we started, even though the actual work is harder. I feel less like I'm just floundering around in the dark, and ds is so much more cooperative it's like he's a whole other kid. And I'm so much more confident now than when he was in public school that even with the autism in the mix he might actually turn out to be a productive citizen who can write, balance a checkbook, and find the grocery store(he was already a really good reader--figured it out on his own when he was three). I suspect between sensory issues and anxiety under pressure, heart surgery and piloting planes will not be in his future, but I increasingly have hope that he will find SOME kind of gainful employment he can manage successfully, and not go around randomly assaulting people. So even on the hard days I can now look around and tell myself it's very, very worth it. That was harder in the early days when we hadn't already established a good track record of steady improvement and everyone kept telling me I was crazy to even try it. But yeah, it's hard. It's HARD. And part of me is really glad that dd begged to go back to ps this year, even though another part of me misses having her around. Even if it only turns out to be a "break", I think it has been good for her and me both.

Edited by MamaSheep

I hear ya, I just wrote about our homeschool day (and did yesterday as well) and I didn't include after school hours when I'm correcting and pulling some children for 'night' school (school work that needs to be corrected):tongue_smilie:

Homeschooling is a way of life here at Homeschooling6~the good, the bad, the ugly and thankfully lots of cuddling and pajama days ;)

Edited by Homeschooling6

It is so hard.

Same here today. Just one of those day I guess. I have a few sick kids, haven't slept much because one was up with croup, and am just tired of some of the excuses. That is why I tell myself we just school all year round, so I can take off a day here and there without feeling guilty. Still not a good day though. Hang in there!

By the way, if it helps, I am going to publish a new post on my blog (new blog) that actually shows how homeschooling really is in my house - the three year old decided yesterday to empty every. single. toy. bin. within the first few minutes of school. Why? He was giving Snoopy a bath. Oh yeah, he is pooping in his pants now because he thinks there is a poop monster in the toilet.

Edited by momsuz123
added the poop story

And now back to building future citizens who can read, think, write, balance a checkbook, perform heart surgery and fly an airplane.

:lol:

wish my husband understood that!

Me too. :glare:

Yes, it is hard. I've been doing this now for 8 1/2 years and in some ways it gets harder every year. But when I am discouraged, I call a friend who homeschooled through high school and whose kids are gone and ask if it is really worth it. She always says yes!:)

We all need a hs bestie. There are days when I am in a tizzy I post here and call my hs bestie.

I hear ya, I just wrote about our homeschool day (and did yesterday as well) and I didn't include after school hours when I'm correcting and pulling some children for 'night' school (school work that needs to be corrected):tongue_smilie:

Homeschooling is a way of life here at Homeschooling6~the good, the bad, the ugly and thankfully lots of cuddling and pajama days ;)

Most days are pajama days around here and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Same here today. Just one of those day I guess. I have a few sick kids, haven't slept much because one was up with croup, and am just tired of some of the excuses. That is why I tell myself we just school all year round, so I can take off a day here and there without feeling guilty. Still not a good day though. Hang in there!

By the way, if it helps, I am going to publish a new post on my blog (new blog) that actually shows how homeschooling really is in my house - the three year old decided yesterday to empty every. single. toy. bin. within the first few minutes of school. Why? He was giving Snoopy a bath. Oh yeah, he is pooping in his pants now because he thinks there is a poop monster in the toilet.

:lol::lol::lol: I can see this clearly. Hang in there mom. :grouphug:

I hate to admit it to myself, but it is so true. And then I look at other peoples' signatures or read the posts about how their first grader is reading an organic chemistry book and I feel as if I am doing it all wrong. And then there are the days I want to chase down the school bus...

Still trying to figure out what are the essentials and how best to teach them without completely ignoring the two little ones. Sigh.

I hate to admit it to myself, but it is so true. And then I look at other peoples' signatures or read the posts about how their first grader is reading an organic chemistry book and I feel as if I am doing it all wrong. And then there are the days I want to chase down the school bus...

Still trying to figure out what are the essentials and how best to teach them without completely ignoring the two little ones. Sigh.

I know that you didn't mean for me to, but your post made me smile. I absolutely promise you that 1st graders will be fine not knowing organic chemistry. ;) All K-2nd graders need is a little bit of time on the 3 Rs that keep moving them forward to the next step a little at a time. (Make yourself feel better, just read my siggie for my primary and elementary level kids.....no pressure here!)

Homeschooling is hard, but it has greater rewards than any other hard task you will ever undertake. There are days when I am really tired and find it hard to be motivated, but when I look back over the last 18 yrs of my life, I have no regrets about homeschooling. Homeschooling has enabled me to form very different relationships w/my kids and them w/each other than if they weren't at home.

It is worth it all the way to the end.

I know that you didn't mean for me to, but your post made me smile. I absolutely promise you that 1st graders will be fine not knowing organic chemistry. ;) All K-2nd graders need is a little bit of time on the 3 Rs that keep moving them forward to the next step a little at a time. (Make yourself feel better, just read my siggie for my primary and elementary level kids.....no pressure here!)

Homeschooling is hard, but it has greater rewards than any other hard task you will ever undertake. There are days when I am really tired and find it hard to be motivated, but when I look back over the last 18 yrs of my life, I have no regrets about homeschooling. Homeschooling has enabled me to form very different relationships w/my kids and them w/each other than if they weren't at home.

It is worth it all the way to the end.

Thank you, thank you! You can be like our internet "homeschool bestie." :D

I'm sorry. Has he seen a home school day in action? My dh already understood to a degree but after seeing us go through a entire school day on a day he had off he was in awe. ;)

Honestly, he is a giant distraction. Lol hasn't helped him see how hard we work. Plus I coach and own a dance studio. :(

My dh is off on holiday next week so he will be able to see what a hs class looks like for the first time. ;)

I feel the same way. I see the people with like 10 children and how organised they all are and I feel so...inadequate. Then I say to myself: 'It is your first year -just breathe'.

Yes, hs is hard. Today after a lot of struggle, ds finally made a pretty cursive 'a'. He cried 'Thank you mum' and gave me a big kiss... I felt 10 feet tall :D

Edited by desertmum
typos!

I had to laugh about PP who said her DH gets in the way. I have the same problem. My husband works at a hospital so he has a weekday off most weeks. Honestly, I send him to go run errands in the morning. :auto: I thought it would be so much help with the baby, but he really distracts the older kids.

Homeschooling.is.hard. It is definitely easier to just send them on the yellow bus to school and have all day to make your house presentable and, gasp, get a haircut every once in awhile. :lol: That said, I wouldn't trade it for the world. We get to be with our kids when they have those moments when things click. We get to see them read their first book. We get to teach them in a way that works for them. I really don't know how much better sending them to school is anyway. All of my friends with kids in school are exhausted. They have to get up early and then deal with homework, school functions, keeping up with the other parents when it comes to afterschool activities... I feel like homeschooling is so much more relaxed. But I only have littles!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I know this is the time of year for burnout. Could you maybe take a day off this week and go do something fun? Go for a nature walk (we had one this week on a semi decent day), go to a museum, go to an indoor pool and just splash and have fun. We are all here for you. Luckily we don't all have these times at the same time!

:grouphug:

:iagree: and you have 4 school age and 2 little ones. :cheers2: