Menu

Immigration issues AND political unrest...

In less than 24 hours we will be on our way to Kuala Lumpur. We have an appointment at the U.S. Embassy for the final interview for our daughter's immigration visa. If all goes well we will FINALLY get the visa we need so we can take her to the U.S. to meet her family. It has been a long two-year journey but it is nearly over.

But of course....

The same day we come to KL is the day that the verdict for Anwar Ibrahim, opposition leader in Malaysia, will be delivered. He is on trial for sodomy which is illegal here. Some believe he is being targeted as a political scam. So there are going to be huge protests right in the same area we have to be.

We have already received warnings from the embassy to stay out of the area and yet we have no choice as we have to get to our daughter's appointment at the embassy!

To be so close to the end of this journey and then have yet one more roadblock put in our path is very discouraging. Please pray for safety for our family and for a favorable outcome for her visa. My mom really wants to meet her granddaughter.

This might be a dumb question, Heather, but can the appointment be postponed? I know this has been going on for such a long time and you've been through so much, but if the embassy is telling you not to come, shouldn't you heed that advice???

Either way, I'm praying for your safety and for Natalie's visa. :grouphug:

This might be a dumb question, Heather, but can the appointment be postponed? I know this has been going on for such a long time and you've been through so much, but if the embassy is telling you not to come, shouldn't you heed that advice???

:iagree::iagree::iagree::grouphug:

If only it were that easy. It took us months to get this appointment. We are supposed to go home this summer for a visit but we cannot buy plane tickets until we know if we can get a visa. And her I600 approval is only good until May. So if we don't go tomorrow, we have to wait for another appointment which means risking having to start the whole process over again. It's basically my worst nightmare.

The good news is that there will be massive police presence and the newspapers are filled with warnings to protestors about the harsh penalties if any of them get out of hand. We are praying that they heed the warnings and we are looking for alternative driving routes that will help us avoid as much of it as possible.

I just can't believe the timing on this. UGH!!!!!!

Praying for your safety! I know how difficult and long-waited-for those visa appointments are, and how you hate to rock the boat. On the bright side, maybe they will grant the visa immediately seeing all the work you went through just to get there...

So if we don't go tomorrow, we have to wait for another appointment which means risking having to start the whole process over again. It's basically my worst nightmare.

I'm so sorry, Heather! It would be terrible to have to postpone the trip and start the process again!

At the same time, I can imagine that finding my family in the middle of a situation of civil/political unrest and the violence that often occurs as a result--things might happen then that would truly be one of my my worst nightmares. Maybe postponement wouldn't be such a bad idea? :grouphug:

Edited by Julie in CA