Menu

Mysterious, Sporadic Pink Stains On Laundry

Help! For the last couple of weeks, we have been noticing mysterious pink stains on some of our laundry. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to have a pattern. Usually only one (occasionally two) pieces of clothing per load have a pink stain (looks kind of like a faint ink stain) but not in every load. Pulling out anything with even a hint of red or pink dye and washing it in a separate load seems to do no good; the stains still randomly appear in the non-red loads. We moved to this house in August, but there were no problems until a couple weeks ago so I find it hard to believe it's a plumbing or washer issue (although I guess it could be something that developed over the last 5 months). We've also been using the same detergent this whole time. I'm stumped.

Some facts:

- detergent is All Free & Clear

- fabric softener is either white vinegar or nothing

- city water (which smells like a swimming pool - blech)

- all loads washed in cold wash/ cold rinse

- loads either run in early am or late pm or split between both

- no drier sheets

- top loading washer and drier

I am grasping at straws as to what it could be. Any suggestions? If I wanted to clean the washer, how would I do that? Any hope of getting the stains out of the clothes?

My boys would really prefer not to wear pink-splotched camouflage shirts. :lol: And I don't want to have to replace wardrobes... which is the direction we're heading if this keeps up. :glare:

TIA

Could there be a red sock or marker stuck in the drum or drain of the washer? Are you missing any small red items?

Is it more of an all over stain (like a dye that is bleeding into the water) or a few spots (like a pen is writing on something?

Is there a marker stuck in a laundry basket or hamper? I could imagine this happening in one of our larger, dark colored, woven baskets.

Is there something that was put on an item or spilled somewhere that could be rubbing off onto clothes? Like a marker drawing on a seat chair, or koolaide spilled in a dark cloth seat.

Is there a red detail on a clothing item that bleeds just a bit? Maybe a clothing tag or red collar?

Do you have iron in your water? You would likely have red rings in your toilet bowl or bath tub if you do. That can cause iron spots to appear.

Is it consistently on one location of clothes? Is it consistently on one type of fabric?

ETA: you may try the dye catching clothes for the washer in the mean while. Cheaper than replacing clothing items!

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

• 9 months later...

I have the random pink stains as well. But I have well water. It's ruined quite a few clothes around here. I tried running the washer empty with bleach to clean it out. Didn't work. I've replaced the water inlet valve (unrelated issue) but that hasn't helped. We do use iron out water softener salt, but when we don't we do get the orange in our toilet. Maybe we need even better softener salt.

Huh. I have an LG front loader and have never had any stains or spots that have remained "mysterious" for long. Usually it's something like bits of maribou from a boa in the dress up box, or ends of embroidery floss. Or the classic chapstick/pen/crayon/whatever in the pocket.

In my old condo, with the old washer, I would get odd spots, but it was most definitely hard water. Here, we have soft water and no mystery colors.

Guest Postgrad

OK , " lisamarie,pink and green mom,tutor, and postgrad" so far and at least two of us have LG washers , how about the other two , and may I ask what brand water heater ? I have a new GE water heater , we are getting so close to the answer ! I am starting to see a pattern with the LG WASHER ! Please let me know and I am so thankful for your time and effort on this to help us all.

Guest Postgrad

Waiting to hear from ( lisamarie and Tutor ) on what brand washing machine and or water heater they have, I believe that it is more than just a coincidence that pink and green mom and me 'postgrad' have LG WASHING MACHINES and have the same laundry issues with sporadic pinkish stains showing up on clothing after washing. I won't rest on this issue until I solve it for all of us,again Thank You ALL So much for your time.

• 4 months later...
Guest faniejones

Hopefully this thread is still alive ...

I have had the bright pink sporadic stains happening in my washing machine for about a year now. I just noticed they stopped for a while when I briefly switched detergents. It only happens when I wash the light colored clothes (thank heavens it's never affected the whites). It is definitely not caused by something left in the pockets ... lipstick, Chapstick, candy, crayon, marker. I have cleaned my machine every way mentioned. It has to be a chemical reaction. It happens maybe to 1 out of every 6 light-colored loads, and have mostly used the same detergent.

some of my facts:

•I too use All Free&Clear

•Whirlpool front loader

•all loads washed in cold/cold cycle

•Washer is 5 years old, started a year ago

•only a few items in the load are affected

•stains come out with lye soap

•city water

•also do laundry early AM or late PM

I really think it's from a chemical reaction, frustrated that I can't find an explanation

Hopefully this thread is still alive ...

I have had the bright pink sporadic stains happening in my washing machine for about a year now. I just noticed they stopped for a while when I briefly switched detergents. It only happens when I wash the light colored clothes (thank heavens it's never affected the whites). It is definitely not caused by something left in the pockets ... lipstick, Chapstick, candy, crayon, marker. I have cleaned my machine every way mentioned. It has to be a chemical reaction. It happens maybe to 1 out of every 6 light-colored loads, and have mostly used the same detergent.

some of my facts:

•I too use All Free&Clear

•Whirlpool front loader

•all loads washed in cold/cold cycle

•Washer is 5 years old, started a year ago

•only a few items in the load are affected

•stains come out with lye soap

•city water

•also do laundry early AM or late PM

I really think it's from a chemical reaction, frustrated that I can't find an explanation

I think you must be right about a chemical reaction. Have you talked to your neighbors?

I have NOT had such stains, and I use All Free & Clear, too. Maytag front loader, washing in warm or cold, depending upon clothes (cold rinses). DH likes fabric softener in the wash and again in the dryer to handle static on his office clothes. Other than that I use 1/2 sheet in the dryer to cut static -- anything more and I itch.

• 1 year later...
Guest Annakatherine87

Hello, I came across this thread while googling this same exact problem. I have been getting mysterious hot pink stains sporadically in my laundry for a few months now, and I am completely stumped on the cause. What I do know is:

1. Out of my household, it only happens to my laundry.

2. Therefore, it is NOT something stuck in the washing machine or dryer.

3. It is not something in my pockets and it is NOT dye from a bright colored item. It has happened to all white loads.

4. When it does happen, it's only a select few items that get stained, not the entire load.

5. The stains look like bright pink ink or marker, sometimes a small spot, sometimes all over (like tie dye).

My only conclusion is that it must be a chemical reaction between some bathroom or beauty product I am using, reacting with the detergent. It is extremely frustrating and is ruining my clothes, towels, etc. If anyone on this thread is still having this issue or found a resolution, please respond!

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

yeah I was thinking something was stuck in the washer but I've taken it apart, cleaned it, ran cycles. I'm stumped and desperate. Some of the pink spots have actually come out of certain clothes, but stayed in others. They seem to spread in the wash.

Edited by blablabla000

• 4 years later...