Menu

Any legal thrillers or movies with courtroom drama suitable for an 11 year old?

Poor ds (11) now has chicken pox. Ds (6) and ds (9) had it over Christmas and now my two older kids have it. Sigh.

The poor kids have it way worse than the younger ones did. Ds (11) has enjoyed John Grisham's books for kids and is really interested in watching a movie with some legal drama, however, I can't seem to find anything and I'm terrible with remembering the titles of movies.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

You have some great suggestions - 12 Angry Men and To Kill a Mockingbird are the two that came to my mind right away.

She might also like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. It isn't a courtroom drama, but it does involve congress.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was my first thought. One of my favorites!

Miracle on 34th Street is fun, with Kris Kringle on trial. : )

Poor ds (11) now has chicken pox. Ds (6) and ds (9) had it over Christmas and now my two older kids have it. Sigh.

The poor kids have it way worse than the younger ones did. Ds (11) has enjoyed John Grisham's books for kids and is really interested in watching a movie with some legal drama, however, I can't seem to find anything and I'm terrible with remembering the titles of movies.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Garrow's Law

It's not a movie, but a BBC series.

Love it! Maybe you can stream it on Netflix, I don't know. I think an 11 year old could handle it. Courtroom drama in 18th century London :) You might want to read the descriptions of some of the episodes before you show them depending on how you feel about different moral issues.

Based loosely on the life of William Garrow.

You have some great suggestions - 12 Angry Men and To Kill a Mockingbird are the two that came to my mind right away.

She might also like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. It isn't a courtroom drama, but it does involve congress.

Yes, yes, and yes! I love all of these. (Of course, Mockingbird isn't as good as the book, but I do love Gregory Peck. :001_smile: )

I just watched Mockingbird with my 14yo, and I don't remember anything that would be 'inappropriate' for an 11yo.

I used to enjoy watching "Matlock"

Joy

Hehe. I was also thinking how I really like Murder She Wrote as a kid. Too bad all the mystery shows now are so dark. Even the lighthearted ones like Castle often have some messed up stuff in them.

I seem to remember The Rainmaker wasn't bad, but don't take my word on it... I saw it so long ago.