Menu

What do you think about these child obesity ads?

I agree that childhood obesity (as well as adult, for that matter) is a big problem, but I fail to see how these ads help the problem in any way whatsoever. Each ad started out holding my attention, but then when the words come up that say, "Stop sugarcoating it, Georgia", I just didn't understand what that solves. They offer NO options, education, encouragement to solve it, etc. Just sad. It's like saying, "Georgia is fat. Too bad."

I agree that childhood obesity (as well as adult, for that matter) is a big problem, but I fail to see how these ads help the problem in any way whatsoever. Each ad started out holding my attention, but then when the words come up that say, "Stop sugarcoating it, Georgia", I just didn't understand what that solves. They offer NO options, education, encouragement to solve it, etc. Just sad. It's like saying, "Georgia is fat. Too bad."

:iagree: There seemed to be an option to "join the community". Does that give any actual tips or advice on what to do to solve the problem?

I see the billboards all over town. I understand that the idea is to raise awareness about a really severe problem, but I truly doubt these are going to make any sort of positive impact. It's sad, really. The problem is so deep and so complex -- maybe the best we can hope for *is* to make people recognize that it's an issue? I'd rather think our schools were working to serve fresh foods instead though.

The ads end by showing the web address www.strongforlife.com which has information about childhood obesity, how to figure out if you child is at risk, and questions to ask your health care provider. I think the ads serve their purpose -- they get your attention. They make you sad and uncomfortable. I don't like them, but...

As a parent of a child who is large boned and wears husky jeans, I can see my child being hurt by those ads. He already struggles with his self image and we focus on eating healthy and that he is built different. Our family doctor is fine with his weight. She recognizes his genetics play a huge factor. He got his dad's family genes and my other two go my side of the gene pool. He is hopefully getting ready for growth spurt as is his older brother but they weigh the same thing despite being 2 1/2 years part. Big brother is a string bean and wears slim clothes. And the younger one can out run older brother and plays outside more and gets more exercise.

Perhaps the ads will motivate families to learn about healthier lifestyles.

Agribusiness surely is not going to go out of their way to provide healthy food supply until their processed products cease making profits for them. I find nothing disturbing about the state attempting to raise awareness of a serious issue.

The ads end by showing the web address www.strongforlife.com which has information about childhood obesity, how to figure out if you child is at risk, and questions to ask your health care provider. I think the ads serve their purpose -- they get your attention. They make you sad and uncomfortable. I don't like them, but...

Hmm. I guess they are trying to reach parents of overweight kids who don't realize the problem or are in denial about it. If I were a parent of an overweight kid, those commercials would definitely get my attention.

Yes. It should be sad and uncomfortable. It should make parents take a closer look at their obese child's situation.

I know the intentions are good, but I can also see this sort of thing backfiring on the very kids it's intended to help. I can imagine the kids on the school bus making fun of the overweight kids and comparing them with "Bobby" on the billboard. :(

For my child it wouldn't even be the kids on the bus, he would compare himself. Then I am sure I would start getting questions about type 2 diabetes and hypertension. :confused:

OK, so which is it? Are the kids too fat, or are they going home from public school to starve??? I keep hearing advertisements for a group called Blessings in a Backpack. They are a charity that sends kids home with food for the weekend in backpacks. They start their adds with a statement of something like 40% of the kids in school have no food at home, or some outrageous statement to that effect.

No offense to the charity. I think it is wonderful for those who truly need it. But which is it? Are we starving to death or are we eating ourselves to death? :confused::001_huh:

OK, so which is it? Are the kids too fat, or are they going home from public school to starve??? I keep hearing advertisements for a group called Blessings in a Backpack. They are a charity that sends kids home with food for the weekend in backpacks. They start their adds with a statement of something like 40% of the kids in school have no food at home, or some outrageous statement to that effect.

No offense to the charity. I think it is wonderful for those who truly need it. But which is it? Are we starving to death or are we eating ourselves to death? :confused::001_huh:

Well, it can be both. Lots of morbidly obese children are suffering from horrible malnutrition. :( We certainly have both fat and skinny hungry kids in our community. Bodies respond differently to the junk food that poor people have to eat. Some get too skinny, some store it as fat. Both groups are in trouble. People also vary in whether or not they'll get addicted and overeat the simple starches.

Glad I don't live in Georgia. My fat kid would beat herself up to kingdom come after seeing one of those billboards or commercials. She already has a low self-esteem. My DH and I work like crazy to fill her mind and heart with the truth that our value as human beings has *nothing* to do with body shape or a number on the scale.

I'll keep promoting health (not necessarily thinness) and reminding my DD that she is inherently valuable because she was first conceived in the heart of a God and is His masterpiece exactly the way she is. Screw the number on the scale.

(p.s. I'm not in denial. But, she's 8 and our pediatrician - approved approach is slow and steady, with a focus on maintaining her weight while she gains height and grows into her weight. No diets.)

I think it's a good thing since it gets people's attention and then provides ways to get help.

Well, it can be both. Lots of morbidly obese children are suffering from horrible malnutrition. :( We certainly have both fat and skinny hungry kids in our community. Bodies respond differently to the junk food that poor people have to eat. Some get too skinny, some store it as fat. Both groups are in trouble. People also vary in whether or not they'll get addicted and overeat the simple starches.

:iagree:

Malnutrition can be exhibited either by being over or under weight.

When we had Wolf's 13 mth old great niece w/us for 2 wks when I was pregnant w/Tazzie, she was HUGE. Absolutely huge. Her mother was using meth, not feeding baby appropriately (we'd babysat her previously, had pop in the bottle, and a jar of mouldy food sent). Her mother still had her on stage one baby food, and formula.

Baby didn't make any effort to move at all. We've no doubt that Mom fed her infant Tylenol or similar to keep her quiet. She didn't even pull herself into a sitting position for the first 24 hrs I had her.

Took her to the Drs, for a suspected ear infection. Turned out it was a double ear infection, so bad that both ear drums were bulging...Dr said if we hadn't got her in when we did, they would have ruptured, and he guessed she'd had the ear infection close to 2 wks, given how bad it was. While we were there, I discussed what I considered appropriate nutrition for a 13 mth old (b/c apprehension was a consideration at that point, I needed to have a change in diet formally approved, so there wasn't any back lash).

Anyways.

By the time she went back to her mother (don't get me started on that idiotic decision by a completely clueless social worker) she had visibly lost weight, and was pulling herself up, cruising around furniture. She was being fed properly. Appropriate foods, appropriate amounts. And, not penned up in an exersaucer or play pen all her waking hours.

(Wolf's niece complained to her mother that baby was no longer happy in the play pen when she got her back. Duh, she was finally learning to be mobile!)

Glad I don't live in Georgia. My fat kid would beat herself up to kingdom come after seeing one of those billboards or commercials. She already has a low self-esteem. My DH and I work like crazy to fill her mind and heart with the truth that our value as human beings has *nothing* to do with body shape or a number on the scale.

I'll keep promoting health (not necessarily thinness) and reminding my DD that she is inherently valuable because she was first conceived in the heart of a God and is His masterpiece exactly the way she is. Screw the number on the scale.

(p.s. I'm not in denial. But, she's 8 and our pediatrician - approved approach is slow and steady, with a focus on maintaining her weight while she gains height and grows into her weight. No diets.)

:iagree::grouphug:

Not picking on you, but I want to highlight a misconception that I run into a lot. We were poor when DD was younger, for sure. But, we didn't eat much junk food. We couldn't afford it! Our diet centered around carb/starch: beans, whole-wheat bread, pasta, Cheerios along with WIC's milk, cheese and juice. There were times when the juice was THE main source of fruits/veg (again: not because I didn't know better, but because we couldn't afford better! Our income was very low.) None of that is inherently horrible, but older DD's body processed it differently than younger DD. So I have one chunky kid and one slim kid.

Anyway, just wanted to point that out.

I think overhauling the WIC program would offer real help to at-risk families. Just substituting fresh fruits/veg for some (or all) of the juice would be a HUGE improvement.

My own experience as an RN is that there is a culture that exists in which the adults are poorly educated in nutrition and also in food preparation, and that these adults once they become parents choose to purchase fast foods and junk foods for their kids because the parents and the kids both like them and the parents don't understand or don't accept that these foods are not healthy. Giving your child a bag of fries and burgers is a display of love and caring in this culture, so this is what a 'good mom' does. It also doesn't help that 'mom' is usually a single parent with all the exhaustion and stressors that go along with that.

I've taken care of some of these kids, with adult prescriptions and adult health issues. Nearly always there was a loving parent involved who just did not understand healthy eating or how to make it happen for her family. Maybe these ads and the organization behind them can help. I hope so.

It is a problem. But there are so many factors to take into consideration:

- Many parents limit kids from playing outdoors due to "stranger danger" or what they see on the news. Kids stay indoors more so now compared to 15-20 years ago.

- Parents in that demographic most likely do not have $$ to enroll their kids into YMCA, sports, classes, etc. Many are single parents or in low salaries.

- I would suspect the neighborhood or city they live in does not offer safe areas for parks or outdoor play.

Lots to consider. Not an easy solution.

- Parents in that demographic most likely do not have $$ to enroll their kids into YMCA, sports, classes, etc. Many are single parents or in low salaries.

- I would suspect the neighborhood or city they live in does not offer safe areas for parks or outdoor play.

That may be true for some - but with 60% of the US population being overweight, they can not all live in bad neighborhoods and be poor single parents.

The WIC program has been overhauled. Children now only get two bottles of Juice a month as well as 6 dollars of any fruit and Veggie of your choice. They have also added whole grains to the vouchers(i.e. brown rice, corn tortillas, or whole wheat bread.) Our WIC program also has a program every Summer where you can get vouchers to be used at local farms. $20 per participant, which can go a long ways for U-pick.

That may be true for some - but with 60% of the US population being overweight, they can not all live in bad neighborhoods and be poor single parents.

True that.

I know of a rich executive family who often eat out -- 5 days a week. The wife does not like to cook. They have 3 boys who eat like there is no tomorrow. The mom does not limit them with sweets. For now, they are tall and thin. Mom is always on a diet. But the father is close to 300 lbs and has had horrible heart/hypertension in his mid-30's.

He was like his sons -- eating fast food all of the time. Drinking soda daily. But when he got into his late 20's -- the weight suddenly piled on and his habits did not change. Sorry for going off topic. But consider my story anecdoctal for adults who grow up with lousy food habits.

Not picking on you, but I want to highlight a misconception that I run into a lot. We were poor when DD was younger, for sure. But, we didn't eat much junk food. We couldn't afford it! Our diet centered around carb/starch: beans, whole-wheat bread, pasta, Cheerios along with WIC's milk, cheese and juice. There were times when the juice was THE main source of fruits/veg (again: not because I didn't know better, but because we couldn't afford better! Our income was very low.) None of that is inherently horrible, but older DD's body processed it differently than younger DD. So I have one chunky kid and one slim kid.

Anyway, just wanted to point that out.

I think overhauling the WIC program would offer real help to at-risk families. Just substituting fresh fruits/veg for some (or all) of the juice would be a HUGE improvement.

I've BTDT, too. Glad for an onion or a turnip because we'd had so much rice and beans and wanted more vegetables...during one of those phases I was way too thin, but when we went through it again a few years later I was too fat.

I don't think the majority of parents of obese children are feeding them whole grains and beans, though. Too many people don't know how to cook, or don't have time, or don't have a proper kitchen. If they got their hands on sweet potatoes, navy beans, cabbage, and collard greens, they wouldn't know how or be able to fix dinner from that. At least these are truths that my experiences in my extended family and low-income community have shown me.

So the schools and others step in to help. But when people get busy feeding the poor they don't give them chicken, broccoli, and salad, but they also don't give them brown rice, navy beans, and root vegetables. They give them non-perishable junk from pantry shelves and government-issue white bread, or USDA-approved sugary cereal for breakfast at school.

Our church works really hard to get fresh fruit and vegetables, milk, and canned meat into the sacks of food we give away. The congregation is generous in supplying the food pantry, but they have to be gently steered away from Hamburger Helper, cake mixes, jello pudding mix, and HiC.

Too many people don't know how to cook, or don't have time, or don't have a proper kitchen. If they got their hands on sweet potatoes, navy beans, cabbage, and collard greens, they wouldn't know how or be able to fix dinner from that. At least these are truths that my experiences in my extended family and low-income community have shown me.

So the schools and others step in to help. But when people get busy feeding the poor they don't give them chicken, broccoli, and salad, but they also don't give them brown rice, navy beans, and root vegetables. They give them non-perishable junk from pantry shelves and government-issue white bread, or USDA-approved sugary cereal for breakfast at school.

Good point.

Might it be true in Georgia and Mississippi?

The correlation obviously are in states that are poor -- New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, etc. I just saw an episode on ABC's 20/20 highlighting those same states for having high numbers of women who do not get medical care while pregnant or have high risk pregnancies.

http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VD55158749/2020-1216-giving-life-a-risky-proposition

Edited by tex-mex

I don't think an ad campaign can totally solve childhood obesity and looking for solutions from a billboard is asking an awful lot. Its only purpose is to draw attention to the problem and get people to think about it, which clearly it is doing.

Obesity IS a health problem. I see these ads like I see any other health related ad, like raising awareness that heart disease kills more women yearly than breast cancer. There are no "solutions" in those ads but I think about it when I am getting ready to chow down on a Big Mac.

Weight is a hard thing because it is a physical issue with an emotional component. That allows defensiveness to crop up when a direct assault is volleyed on the physical risks associated with being heavy.

The correlation obviously are in states that are poor -- New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, etc.

OTOH, New Mexico, which is one of the poorest states (4th poorest) is ranking fairly low down on the obesity list (#38; with the most obese state ranking #1).

I think with the obesity in the South, one needs to consider cultural factors (including traditional eating habits) and not just poverty.

I agree. A lot of cheap, nutrient depleted, high fat food tastes GOOD. I can afford better and I succumb to McD's fries and a Coke every once in a while just because it tastes so good. I would go so far as to say that there is a component of addiction with a lot of those kinds of foods and if you can not afford more nutrient dense options and you have little time it is easy to just go with what tastes good and gives an immediate "high".

Someone earlier in this thread posted that some people don't know how to cook. I just don't buy that most adults couldn't figure out how to follow the prep directions on a bag of plain navy beans. A bag of dry beans + a ham hock would cost about $4 and would feed a family. The problem is that people want easy, fast options and there are a ton of them out there that are cheap.

I know the intentions are good, but I can also see this sort of thing backfiring on the very kids it's intended to help. I can imagine the kids on the school bus making fun of the overweight kids and comparing them with "Bobby" on the billboard. :(

That's exactly what's going to happen.

:grouphug:

Not all kids and parents are oblivious to what is going on. Many are doing everything they can to help their overweight kids. They can't just crash diet to lose the weight; most kids have to just maintain their weight and wait to grow out if it. To outsiders it may seem like nothing is being done.

The ads seem like they might do more harm than good.

I can't imagine that pointing out to children that they are fat is going to have any sort of positive impact. They don't plan the meals, buy the groceries or have any measure of influence on the content of school lunches or family menus.

I think the idea is more to point out to parents that this is what overweight looks like.

I agree. A lot of cheap, nutrient depleted, high fat food tastes GOOD. I can afford better and I succumb to McD's fries and a Coke every once in a while just because it tastes so good. I would go so far as to say that there is a component of addiction with a lot of those kinds of foods and if you can not afford more nutrient dense options and you have little time it is easy to just go with what tastes good and gives an immediate "high".

Someone earlier in this thread posted that some people don't know how to cook. I just don't buy that most adults couldn't figure out how to follow the prep directions on a bag of plain navy beans. A bag of dry beans + a ham hock would cost about $4 and would feed a family. The problem is that people want easy, fast options and there are a ton of them out there that are cheap.

It gets complicated. 1 in 5 adults are functionally illiterate. That means that they really can't read the instructions on a food packet.

Wikipedia (with apologies, I'll find a better source later)

A 2010 article from the UK, 20% illiterate there, too

Then you add the other common factors of poverty-related obesity, such as addiction, mental illness, inadequate cooking facilities, not growing up in a home where parents actually prepared healthful foods from scratch...

some people are simply not like us.

If I really want to dance close to some kind of line (just when I'd gotten off some people's ignore lists) I could prove the problem by finding threads on this board about cooking challenges. Threads in which educated, literate homeschooling mothers are confronted with a common ingredient and have no idea what to do with it, or want to make soup and can't seem to figure out how. Or they've never cooked anything without a specific recipe for which they had exactly the same ingredients.

If making soup from scratch is a problem for a WTM Mom with fully equipped kitchen and money for the grocery store, how much more impossible is it for a woman who has none of those advantages?

I don't think the majority of parents of obese children are feeding them whole grains and beans, though. Too many people don't know how to cook, or don't have time, or don't have a proper kitchen. If they got their hands on sweet potatoes, navy beans, cabbage, and collard greens, they wouldn't know how or be able to fix dinner from that. At least these are truths that my experiences in my extended family and low-income community have shown me.

My "roommate" in the hospital when I had my most recent baby was 18 years old, on her second child, and living in a homeless shelter. But what is burned in my mind is her complaining to people that "there was nothing to eat" at the hospital. Yet the food was pretty good and quite healthy! Veggie/ chicken soup, delicious sandwiches, cooked veggies, fruit, cereals, milk, juices, etc.. She didn't touch her trays and munched on chips and other bagged snacks that someone brought her. All I saw her eat in the 2 days were chips and fast food. The baby's father's mother visited her and looked at the hospital food menu. I can still hear her saying, "Navy bean soup? Navy bean soup!! What the f*** is that, navy bean soup." I realized they probably had no idea what a navy bean is.

Now, if she ate chips the two days she was in the hospital post partum, what do you think she was eating while pregnant? :001_huh:

It reminds me of a story I read on cnn once about a woman trying to bring healthy foods to people in the inner city. She met a 60 year old in harlem who had never tasted a blueberry. How do you live in one of the most metropolitan cities in the world and never taste a blueberry? Farmer's markets all over the city accept food stamps. There are grocery stores in harlem, it's not all bodegas.

Perhaps the ads will motivate families to learn about healthier lifestyles.

Agribusiness surely is not going to go out of their way to provide healthy food supply until their processed products cease making profits for them. I find nothing disturbing about the state attempting to raise awareness of a serious issue.

I think we've got to do something. My heart breaks for the obese kids at the playground. My DD tried playing with a little girl last summer and the poor kid could NOT run.

And at another park last summer, a really obese little girl asked me to push her on the swing and there was just no way. :(

I don't know how to fix the problem without attacking other issues but ignoring it doesn't seem to be working.

What I'd LOVE to see happen for people who need financial assistance for food - if they were to take classes on nutrition and cooking and the science of eating well; I'd like to see those people get more money. I'd like them to get decent pans for cooking and decent food at farmer's markets, etc. I'd like some sort of government program where $1 for cereal buys you $3 of local fresh fruits or veggies. I'd love to give people with patios a couple of tomato plants and a short class on how to grow them and maybe graduate those people into raised bed gardening, etc. someday.

Because I'd so much rather "cure" hypertension and diabetes in children's diets with good food than with drugs.

I think the idea is more to point out to parents that this is what overweight looks like.

I think there are a lot people who have no idea their kid is over weight, let alone obese or even morbidly obese. These pictures show kids who some parents would say "he's a little chubby" or "she's just a little bigger than her friends". Some people need to see that the kid on the billboard is indeed obese and guess what he's not as big as the kid you have at home who you think is just fine.

People's perceptions of overweight have seriously changed since I was a kid. Having been a volunteer in kids sports and other activities for a few years, kids are bigger. Parents are bigger too and they likely don't want to admit the problem their kid has.

When I leave my house, I can drive 10 miles in one direction to a local farmer's market where the lady running the cash register will suggest beet greens, cranberry beans, walnuts, and shallots as the deals of the day.

I can drive 10 miles the other way and have to identify a fennel bulb for the cashier. I once had to explain that garlic was garlic and not onion. I once had to explain a bunch of radishes.

I can go 10 minutes farther in that direction to a store that has never carried a single fennel bulb since it opened its doors in the 60's, or any other vegetable more exotic than iceberg lettuce, onions, carrots, or russet potatoes.

Things are not equal and I get so frustrated about the dearth of nutrition in the richest country in the world that I could just cry. I sometimes do cry. And all our efforts to feed kids, including church pantries and backpacks for the weekend at home, are missing the mark because it is all non-nutritional calories.

What are we going to do?

Making 20-second commercials about fat kids isn't going to get a blueberry to an old man in Harlem.

Oh, I am certain that that was the *intent*. But when kids watch as much (or more) television as their parents, there will be a great number of overweight and obese kids who are watching these ads and will not understand or care for whom the spots were actually meant.

When I leave my house, I can drive 10 miles in one direction to a local farmer's market where the lady running the cash register will suggest beet greens, cranberry beans, walnuts, and shallots as the deals of the day.

I can drive 10 miles the other way and have to identify a fennel bulb for the cashier. I once had to explain that garlic was garlic and not onion. I once had to explain a bunch of radishes.

I can go 10 minutes farther in that direction to a store that has never carried a single fennel bulb since it opened its doors in the 60's, or any other vegetable more exotic than iceberg lettuce, onions, carrots, or russet potatoes.

Things are not equal and I get so frustrated about the dearth of nutrition in the richest country in the world that I could just cry. I sometimes do cry. And all our efforts to feed kids, including church pantries and backpacks for the weekend at home, are missing the mark because it is all non-nutritional calories.

What are we going to do?

Making 20-second commercials about fat kids isn't going to get a blueberry to an old man in Harlem.

When I leave my house, I would have to drive an hour to get to any place that sells fennel bulbs and cranberry beans. There is no farmer's market in our vicinity. A LOT of people live in rural areas where the only place to get food is Kroger or Wal-Mart. What is to be done about that?

And to the PP suggesting classes on nutrition and cooking, that's all very well, but some people do NOT have time to devote to extra classes like that. They're working their tails off to support their family.

When I leave my house, I would have to drive an hour to get to any place that sells fennel bulbs and cranberry beans. There is no farmer's market in our vicinity. A LOT of people live in rural areas where the only place to get food is Kroger or Wal-Mart. What is to be done about that?

Kroger and Wal-Mart have perfectly adequate selections of produce. Maybe not fennel bulbs at all times, but enough fresh food to eat a healthy and balanced diet.

First of all, I hate these commercials. I feel sorry for "Bobby" - the school bus and PE class will never be the same for him again.

Additionally, here a few things I noticed about the ads:

1) .com extension on web address. Who is making the money?

2) Copyright held by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. I think this is the hospital that used to be known as Egelston? I haven't lived in the area for many years, so I am not sure.

3) Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is sponsoring the "Strong4Life" program.

4) Children's is providing a host of programming, including a camp for $150 (a great price for week long camp) w/limited scholarships available.

5) Children's provides bariatric surgery to overweight children who qualify.

6) Children's is a teaching facility. It is possible that part of the cost of this program is being covered by a grant of some sort. It wouldn't surprise me if there are one or more studies being conducted through this program. I don't see either of these as a negative, but if there are grants & studies that $$ is flowing to the hospital.

I do think that programs like this can be valuable. Hospitals have long provided a variety of community education programs and wellness programs. It's good PR & it can meet a need in the community. However, IMHO, the commercials are in poor taste & I think they need a new ad agency.

Kroger and Wal-Mart have perfectly adequate selections of produce. Maybe not fennel bulbs at all times, but enough fresh food to eat a healthy and balanced diet.

And people in rural areas are more likely to be able to grow a garden, or buy produce or even meat and milk from their neighbors. At least, that's been my experience in very rural Indiana and Kentucky.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar

Guest submarines
I can't imagine that pointing out to children that they are fat is going to have any sort of positive impact. They don't plan the meals, buy the groceries or have any measure of influence on the content of school lunches or family menus.

These children already know very well that they are fat. These ads might actually encourage them to question their obesity (that they don't have to be fat forever) and their food choices. Sure kids can influence their parents. DS read that spinach was very healthy, and has been reminding me to buy more every time I go to the grocery store.

Someone mentioned upthread that as an RN she sees many obese children with loving parents who simply don't know better. The ads are aimed at those parents and those kids. I read the thread before watching the ads, and thought they'be horrible. They are simple and powerful, and shouldn't have negative effects on most children. If anything, seeing other children talking about their obesity might encourage others to reach out and talk about it as well.

The WIC program has been overhauled. Children now only get two bottles of Juice a month as well as 6 dollars of any fruit and Veggie of your choice. They have also added whole grains to the vouchers(i.e. brown rice, corn tortillas, or whole wheat bread.) Our WIC program also has a program every Summer where you can get vouchers to be used at local farms. $20 per participant, which can go a long ways for U-pick.

That is fantastic! It's been about 3 years since we've been on the program. I'm glad to see they're making changes.

Edited by shinyhappypeople