Menu

s/o If you limit technology for your Dc...

can you post why and how? We are one of those families that limit technology especially for Dc in the younger years. I have a love/hate relationship with all things techno (except my washing machine:D).

We have one computer which is about 5-6 years old. We keep it in a common room where all can see. No laptops (for financial reasons right now). Dc have a time limit of 1/2 hr per day (if they don't lose it for behavior issues) and no computer time on Sunday. They are allowed to play some non violent computer games. Same limits on TV apply, unless we are watching something as a family or Dc have permission (especially if they want to watch something educational). We have zero gaming systems and intend to keep it that way.

Ds (13) has a kindle he got for Christmas and I have a Nook which I don't use very often. My justification for these is that they will save us space and many out of print books are available.

Dh and I pass our one basic cell phone back and forth b/t the two of us. We would like to acquire another phone especially for Dh who would like to keep his paintings on it so that when people ask he is able to show what he does. we are looking into this for the new year.

Our reasons: We think technology can be addicting and can prevent people from pursuing interests they would have otherwise. While I know technology helps us communicate in many ways, I do think there is a lack of communication in real life which is partially happening b/c of our dependence on technology.

Anyway, for our family, we sort of walk a line with technology trying to use the best aspects of it without letting it take over our lives. Even so, we still allow it to encroach on time that would be better spent on other things (for instance I am typing this when I could be grooming the dog, cleaning up Christmas, spending time with my family, etc...)

Sometimes I long for the days before we had a computer when my Dc were babies and I seemed to have so much more time for reading, gardening, friends etc.

Forgot to mention Dh has one of the original ipods from years ago.

Edited by shanvan

Our policy is very similar to OP, minus the Nook and Kindle.

My younger dc get computer time on weekdays (30 minutes and only educational). My older dc get 1 hour on weekends after all tasks are completed (to my satisfaction, lol). I do not allow any games that are violent period, and that includes those car racing games where one can smash into walls and such. No TV here, only videos that the dc are allowed to watch on Friday or Saturday night as a family (in other words, no disappearing to watch movies alone). We have one cell phone and no plans for getting another, especially for our dc.

My 13yod asked if she could buy a smartphone and I told her absolutely! She would, however, have to sign a contract agreeing to not have it on during school time or when she is with family and should be interacting (in the van, evenings, etc.). She couldn't have it on while doing chores on weekends or on Sunday. She added up how long she would be able to use it and quickly realized it just wasn't worth it. Smart girl. ;)

OK - let's see if I can verbalize this.

Technology are tools. We have the technology that is useful to us in our house. (Sometimes it is useful to us for entertainment purposes but primarily we try to have stuff that has more practical usefulness.)

We have appliances because they are useful for doing chores.

We have a telephone because it is useful for communication. We have a no-frills cell phone because it is useful for communication on the road. Dh has a blackberry because his work decided that it was useful for them and issued him one to be used for work purposes only.

We have a lot of computers. We find them useful in school, for communication, for finances, research and entertainment. We want the entertainment portion to be there but in moderation. Ds14 has had a difficult time with gaming addiction. After years of monitoring, he's being allowed more lee-way but is still kept from first-person shooter games because those were a trigger for his brain (to be obsessed and violent).

We do not have e-readers because so far our particular family has not found them useful or perhaps because our family still finds actual books useful. Dh does have a library of specialized research materials that he reads on his computer.

We do not have any gaming systems because we saw them as being primarily for entertainment and did not see their an alternative usefulness to them (though people have told me of some other uses). In light of ds' gaming issues, I'm glad that those were not even a factor.

We have ipods because we see them as useful ways to listen to music, podcasts and have used them in ministry (to play accompaniment to songs that the children sing).

We have an use a lot of specialized recording equipment because those have been useful to us in ministry.

This forum is useful for me. It is part of my research and it also gives me adult interaction that I would not have otherwise. It is also where I connect with a couple of people for accountability reasons.

I'm with Jean. As an example, one of mine is a digital artist (well, she's all kinds of artist) and you can't do squat in 30 minutes.

Our 30 minute rule is more for entertainment purposes. When Ds is working on his 4h presentation it is not in effect, just as Dd's math and latin drills are not part of her 30 mins.

Basically, I feel the same way as Jean too. I do see technology at times stealing time that could be better spent. Of course, it is the habits of the people using it that determine if it is a problem or not. Technology is just the temptation.

We limit, to some extent, the amount of time the kids have on screens, but they have access to plenty of screens, including some shared ones (like the iPad) and some of their own (like their handmedown laptops).

I agree that screens and gadgets are tools. We get a lot out of them. I limit them some because they are not the be all end all, but I don't feel like I have or want to set up for the kids an adversarial relationship about screens. I find the more they use them, the better they get about self-regulating and that's the end goal for me as a parent anyway.

Dh and I have e-readers, but the kids don't yet (I'm sure they will within the next year or two though). I do not see those as the same and find it totally bizarre to talk about finding an e-reader addictive or dangerous or as a part of screen time any more than a book, so those don't count for me any more than reading.

My sons have a block of morning free time when screens are allowed - they choose to use them sometimes and not sometimes. They usually have a block of afternoon free time when they're not. And they have a block of evening free time when they usually are, though it depends. During breaks or otherwise strange times, I often let them go nuts with the screens. They got an iPod Touch for Christmas and rather than play games on it, ds has been avidly using the photo apps and Brushes to play around with art.

We have pretty much all of the techie stuff you can imagine in our home, and ds has had his own cell phone, computer, and iPod, as well as several gaming systems since before he was 4 years old.

BUT... we control the technology; it doesn't control us. If I see my ds spending too much time on the computer or one of the gaming systems, it's my responsibility as a parent to get him to do other things instead. I think the problem comes from parents not being aware, responsible, and proactive, not from the actual technology.

Our 30 minute rule is more for entertainment purposes. When Ds is working on his 4h presentation it is not in effect, just as Dd's math and latin drills are not part of her 30 mins.

See, this rule rubs me the wrong way - at least for my own family - for a couple of reasons. First, is doing graphic arts for pleasure entertainment? Many parents would see it as that. It's not required schoolwork like a Latin drill. There are so many uses for screens that fall in that category to me. What about a kid who makes and edits movies? Or who is teaching themselves programming? Or is writing a blog?

For me, I couldn't enforce it. I'm on screens well over 30 minutes a day for some mix of socialization, education, and just plain entertainment so it would be hypocritical of me to limit the kids that much.

We have a computer and a tv. The tv is not watched during the week while the kids are awake (or even very often by dh or me after they go to sleep), except for school-related purposes (Latin, Spanish, and very rarely a show related to some other learning purpose) or when we are really sick and not following our normal routine.

I do use the computer during the day during the week some but the kids do only very, very rarely.

Anything can become an addiction. My boys are addicted to Legos and my dd is addicted to reading, so technology actually provides something else for them to do rather than sit doing the same thing all day. We bought the Wii to get us up and moving, because reading and playing legos are lazy things that require one to sit a lot. They play outside if I lead the activity, and they love to go find fun things to do in town. Basically, like everything else we have to teach the kids not to let things run their lives no matter what their passion is at any given time.

FWIW, my kids have no limits on technology, and they will go days without asking about it rather than waiting around to get their allotted time a day that I hear so many talk about. Not that your kids do that, but I have heard several friends talk about how their kids look forward to playing for 30 minutes a day or whatever their time limit is for the day. My kids are confused by the obsession even though they are surrounded by technology lol.

See, this rule rubs me the wrong way - at least for my own family - for a couple of reasons. First, is doing graphic arts for pleasure entertainment? Many parents would see it as that. It's not required schoolwork like a Latin drill. There are so many uses for screens that fall in that category to me. What about a kid who makes and edits movies? Or who is teaching themselves programming? Or is writing a blog?

For me, I couldn't enforce it. I'm on screens well over 30 minutes a day for some mix of socialization, education, and just plain entertainment so it would be hypocritical of me to limit the kids that much.

Our 30 minute limits primarily apply to computer games. As for the movie editing and graphic arts I suppose for us it would depend on the quality of what is being produced and the value of the actual time spent vs other ways the time could be spent. I admit our limits are somewhat arbitrary. They are decided upon by Dh and I based on the pursuits we want to encourage in our family. We also have no problem having different rules for adults and children. We try not to spend so much time with technology that it interferes with family life and sets a bad example.

Sorry our limits rubbed you the wrong way. Just have to point our that the thread was actually a question for those who do place limits. We just aren't that into technology, but you are asking some interesting questions, especially as technology becomes such a huge part of our world. After all many future careers will be available in that field.

Not sure what I would think of one of my Dc wanting to teach themselves programming. I suppose if it became an issue, Dh and I would discuss it and make a decision. Our family would prefer to see Dc practicing the piano or producing artwork on canvas or paper (Dh is a landscape painter with paintings in several galleries along the east coast).

Some interesting thoughts on this thread. I have one Dc who will self regulate and says he just feels 'yuck' if he spends too much time either on the computer or TV watching. He knows this from times when the limits were lifted. The other is more easily sucked in. I have to watch her.

About the Lego addiction. I see it going on here too. Anything that ends up veering towards unhealthy amounts of time (in my and Dh's opinions) we tend to place limits on. We also discuss the limits and reasons with Dc. It's our hope that as they mature they will become more capable of knowing when an activity is taking away from their lives and becoming unhealthy to the point of addiction. But, that's an issue for another thread....

I don't see anything wrong with "technology" per se; I think it all depends on how it's being used. We have 5 desktop computers & 2 laptops, 2 Kindles, and 4 iPods, and we have satellite TV and a DVR. My kids actually do a LOT of schoolwork on their computers (DS does several online classes). However, we don't do computer/video games (at all) and we watch very little TV other than documentaries, Science Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. — MythBusters is about as close to "junk TV" as we get. For entertainment, we play board games, go for nature walks, visit museums, read, draw, listen to music and audiobooks, etc. I think there's a big difference between doing online Latin exercises and listening to an audiobook on an iPod, vs. playing Grand Theft Auto and watching junk TV.

Jackie

Technology is very expensive in Aus - so we don't have a lot of it. A computer that's shared - a basic cellphone- a tv and I just got a Kindle for Christmas (DH has a laptop supplied by and only for work).

Dh did get impulsive once and bought a Wii -we ended up selling it because nobody used it - I hate gaming myself, the kids were not interested and DH had no time.

My kids have only really just discovered computer games since DH and I don't play them. We don't have time limits because my kids will play for an hour or two one day and not again for several weeks.

TV is the biggest issue here - it's about the only thing that keeps DS2 entertained for any length of time while HS my 5yo but it's a distraction to her as she wants to rush through her work to watch it as well. When she is finished her work I turn it off so they will play outisde or do other things.

I doubt my kids will get much access to technology - it's expensive and they have already broken a ton of their toys from Christmas -they are not responsible enough to have electronic toys. Those basic leapfrog game systems are close to $100 here and the games are between $30-$40. No way am I spending that type of money to have it broken in a week.

DH and I can't afford it for ourselves -no way are we buying it for the kids :D

:iagree:My daughter has been making stop-motion movies all morning using her 3DS and her computer. To me that is a very valid creative outlet, and I am happy that she is doing it. Her twin brother has been reading on his Nook all morning, and my youngest son has been working on a Scratch game. This is all meaningful work to me, and I would never think of limiting it.

We do not allow any kind of video or computer games.

We do not allow technology in bedrooms (occasionally we will let them take a laptop to their bedrooms to work on something, but normally we insist they be used in common areas of our home).

We insist that they take breaks if they are working on the computer on something for a longer period of time (to walk off the computer for a bit, get some exercise, etc.).

We watch very little TV per se, though they do watch some things, often online. TV is not in the living room.

When we have a family sabbath, no technology whatsoever during that period (in our more observant phases we used to have a technology break every week).

My kids use technology a lot, but it is primarily Skype to keep in touch with their friends and family abroad, e-books, internet research (much of it for school too), etc.

Not sure what I would think of one of my Dc wanting to teach themselves programming. I suppose if it became an issue, Dh and I would discuss it and make a decision. Our family would prefer to see Dc practicing the piano or producing artwork on canvas or paper (Dh is a landscape painter with paintings in several galleries along the east coast).

We don't limit technology, but I will address the above. My ds is into computers, it started with stop motion animation (using Lego), moved to programming, graphics, went through a cycle of both and is currently moved back to graphics as he got a Bamboo tablet for his computer for Christmas. What not having limits has allowed him to do is develop an interest and follow its path. This week he acquired a drafting table from my parents, asked to go to Hobby Lobby for art supplies (a long way from the kid who screamed to NOT go in the store years ago), and has acquired a stash of physical drawing supplies in the last month.

This interest would not have happened without his ability to use his computer at will. He watched youtube tutorials on everything (Yes, I know youtube is questionable for some, there online tutorials are available at many outlets). The kid who thought he couldn't draw took the time to make a great drawing (two rough drafts) of a picture online. This was all done on his own time. Both dh and I are pretty artistic so I think he had some confidence issues, but now he's kicked past that.

Technology is a tool. I've been mentally cataloging his journey of interests and technology always plays a role. But he always pull out something non-techy to pursue as part of that interest. I do think he'll end up in a technology based career anyway. In the Outliers it talks about it taking 10,000 hours to become good at something. For us, it's important for ds to have a "head start" on those hours over someone trying to pick up technology for the first time at the college level.

I know each family holds their own priorities, but I wanted to share our perspective from the other side of the screen.

Mine get a half hour each of screens (computer or PS2/Wii games right now). We try not to watch screens right before bedtime. We use the Accountable Kids program, so they can use 1 ticket a day for screens. (They can use more on non-school days.)

We started this because ALL they wanted was to play. And I got so tired of being asked I voted to kick out the TV with its gaming addons, and shut down the kids' computer. DH didn't go along with that, so we have reasonable limits. No screens until school is done, or on non-school days until morning chores are done.

I have no issue with different rules for kids vs. adults, educational screentime (SALSA Spanish, Mythbusters, typing practice, etc.) is not counted, and I'm willing to discuss / bend the rules on a case-by-case basis. (For example, last fall DS9 was enjoying some photo editing - putting pictures of his lego ships on different backgrounds.) But overall I think at the ages of my children they are better off in the real world, not a virtual one.

(I'm not including an eReader in this category, to me that's just another way to look at a book.)

We chose to limit technology to better let our kids use their bodies and minds physically. Since then we've watched brain development shows and seen the occasional article discussing whether too much technology literally "re-wires" the human brain (especially in developing children) to short attention spans and less memory - possibly also positively correlating with ADHD.

I don't care to wait until the end of all those studies to see if the tests are accurate or not. Therefore, we only do a little bit of screen time except for work or schoolwork. My kids do know how to do powerpoint and other such things they might need in the future.

We don't have kindles or equivalent. We don't have fancy cell phones. We only have one TV and only watch it together as a family when we choose to. We don't have any gaming systems. We also don't feel the need to have any more than we already do. We're very pleased with how our kids have developed. It may, or may not, have anything to do with our technology choices, but we wouldn't change a thing if we had it to do over again.

Our 30 minute limits primarily apply to computer games. As for the movie editing and graphic arts I suppose for us it would depend on the quality of what is being produced and the value of the actual time spent vs other ways the time could be spent. I admit our limits are somewhat arbitrary. They are decided upon by Dh and I based on the pursuits we want to encourage in our family. We also have no problem having different rules for adults and children. We try not to spend so much time with technology that it interferes with family life and sets a bad example.

So, if you don't like the art being produced, then it's entertainment, but if it's masterpieces then it's okay? What about taking time for improvement? I wouldn't feel comfortable judging my dc's artistic pursuits that way. If they're doing it in their free time for pleasure, then that's legitimate whether they're as good as Michelangelo or not.

Sorry our limits rubbed you the wrong way. Just have to point our that the thread was actually a question for those who do place limits. We just aren't that into technology, but you are asking some interesting questions, especially as technology becomes such a huge part of our world. After all many future careers will be available in that field.

And as I said earlier, I *do* limit technology for my kids, just not nearly as much.

Anything that ends up veering towards unhealthy amounts of time (in my and Dh's opinions) we tend to place limits on.

I guess this is a basic difference in parenting philosophies. I think it's important to get outside, to do some physical activity, to be social sometimes and to try new things sometimes. But... within that, if a kid wants to have a passion and allocate their free time, whether it's math, reading, painting, programming computers, digital photography, building legos, building models, sewing, whatever, then that's their passion. I want to shepherd my kids' passions, not place limits on them.

We limit technology but still use it. We have one desktop and two laptops, one of which belongs to the girls, bought primarily for school reasons. The girls watch prerecorded shows on TV, and those are carefully chosen. We have one DS that the girls share. I have a Kindle. No tablets, no i-anything, and no major gaming systems. DH and I have older, basic cellphones.

The girls just don't watch much TV, period. They like to watch for a bit in the morning with breakfast. Computer/DS time is for after all schoolwork is completed (that includes me!). I try to kick them outside as often as weather permits.

I don't have set time limits for anything, I just go by feel. If I think they've had enough screen time, I tell them to shut it off and find something else to do. :)

We view technology as a tool rather than as entertainment. We use very little technology compared to most families, but we don't see it as rules or limitations on our kids. It's more a lifestyle choice that we all live together - like eating a healthy diet and going on family hikes.

We have one tv (without satellite or cable) in the family room. We watch a movie as a family on Friday nights, but other than that it rarely comes on. We have better things to do. We have a family computer that the kids don't ever use unless they have something to research online. My husband has all his personal tech stuff (laptop, ipod, & i-something else) that he uses for work-related things. We don't own a video-gaming system or anything like that. We have cellphones, but choose to keep a landline.

The kids just accept this as our lifestyle. Our goal is to set an example of healthy, limited technology use, not to set limitations or prohibitions. At this age they've been too busy reading and playing to notice that our lives are different than other families. Eventually they will notice the differences and may start to ask for certain types of gadgets. We will negotiate that as it comes.

we have always kept limits on tv and now computer and DS time. On school days we do school, lunch, more school, quiet time for reading, then do playdates or activity so no time for tv/computer/DS. If they had time they get 30 minutes. Tv time can be longer if a movie. But we can do days without tv in our house. And weeks without computer or DS time.

It tends to be in chunks for us. Today has been a lot of screen time b/c dh and the kids all got new games. I needed to go shopping, so whatever works for them :tongue_smilie: But come this week I doubt anyone will get any screen time.

We limit technology but still use it. We have one desktop and two laptops, one of which belongs to the girls, bought primarily for school reasons. The girls watch prerecorded shows on TV, and those are carefully chosen. We have one DS that the girls share. I have a Kindle. No tablets, no i-anything, and no major gaming systems. DH and I have older, basic cellphones.

The girls just don't watch much TV, period. They like to watch for a bit in the morning with breakfast. Computer/DS time is for after all schoolwork is completed (that includes me!). I try to kick them outside as often as weather permits.

I don't have set time limits for anything, I just go by feel. If I think they've had enough screen time, I tell them to shut it off and find something else to do. :)

This is pretty close to our philosophy. We have an iPad and a wii not a ds but basically it is just a feel thing for us too. I find that because dd was an avid reader before she was introduced to technology she is just as likely to sit down with a book or play with toys as she is to ask to use the iPad. I do think video games can be addictive especially if introduced too young but it hasn't been an issue for us. We play wii maybe once every other month and a lot of times it is family Jeopardy.

I also agree with pp who said what is being done during screen time determines how much should be allowed but I would have a hard time putting a set time on it. That being said, I doubt dd ever has more than an average of 30 minutes a day and goes days on end without having any.

I probably need to implement a no reading on the Internet until school and work is done rule for myself. :lol:

The reason we limit our son's technology use is he flips a bit when he plays too much - whether it is wii, the computer or video viewing. We periodically have technology free weeks so give him time to reset. What I mean by flips a bit is he's talks back more, argumentative, acts out, talks to himself quite a bit and just makes a lot of verbal noise. I try to limit to 2 hours for all involved. We stay off line until 4:00 in the afternoon, then he gets to play until dinner time.

So, if you don't like the art being produced, then it's entertainment, but if it's masterpieces then it's okay?

It's more about seeing how what is being produced reflects the values and ideas that are becoming close to the child's heart. Whether on paper or the computer, if I see something that is disturbing I want to be able to talk to Dc about it.

I want to know what ideas they are internalizing, whether they are healthy or not. I've steered their artwork on paper away from mimicking some TV cartoons that do not reflect our family's values. They had learned about it from one of the kids at 4H.

What about taking time for improvement? I wouldn't feel comfortable judging my dc's artistic pursuits that way. If they're doing it in their free time for pleasure, then that's legitimate whether they're as good as Michelangelo or not.

You and I are both making judgments that we feel are right for our families. We are just drawing the line in different places (I think). Dh and I feel perfectly comfortable judging whether or not Dc's artistic pursuits violate any of the values we are trying to instill. Certainly they are free to create artwork that isn't a masterpiece. Of course that's how they learn.

And as I said earlier, I *do* limit technology for my kids, just not nearly as much.

Sorry, somehow I missed it. :blush:

I guess this is a basic difference in parenting philosophies.

Yes, or some of what I am saying is getting lost in translation. Our families just have different ideas about the role of technology in our lives.

I think it's important to get outside, to do some physical activity, to be social sometimes and to try new things sometimes. But... within that, if a kid wants to have a passion and allocate their free time, whether it's math, reading, painting, programming computers, digital photography, building legos, building models, sewing, whatever, then that's their passion. I want to shepherd my kids' passions, not place limits on them.

:iagree:I think we agree more than disagree. For the most part my dc's free time is just that (with the exceptions of some limits on computer time). I see what I am doing as shepherding too. Shepherding, limiting, whatever you want to call it, we are each doing what we think is best.

I also think any passion can become harmful if it begins to push out other valuable things in a person's life. I often wonder just when that line is crossed. Plenty of famous and skilled writers and artists have sacrificed their family life to their work. I've often wondered about that. It's terrible that their families have had to pay such a price, but then we would not have the work they produced. I'm getting too philosophical I guess, but, it can happen with anything, not just technology. I once wrote a poem about a woman who spent so much time reading that she ended up not really living a life of her own. (Not that I would know anything about that!)

Sometimes I think about all that would get done if there were no WTM board. Just kidding....(sort of)...I learn a lot here.

Well, all of my kids are so young, that I really don't see the need for any technology. They watch tv daily, in small increments and my oldest is allowed to play on starfall.com or abcmouse.com occasionally. My DS will sometimes play on kneebouncers.com, but that is a treat for them.

Dh is a tv watcher. The must have it on at all times for background noise variety and it drives me batty. When he is at work, it stays off for the most part.

We have one desktop computer and I'm pretty much the only one that uses it.

DH and I have prepaid cellphones. Pretty basic, no bells and whistles.

We will not allow tvs in the children's rooms while they live here. As far as personal laptops and such, they won't be allowed until they are in their late teens/high school. They can use the family computer until then. I honestly don't understand 2 year olds or 5 year olds with their own IPads and such, but to each their own.

We have a limited amount of technology in our house--one oldish, basic cellphone, one computer, one small tv (with no cable/satellite, but with a DVD player/VCR), one Playstation 2 with a handful of mostly active games like Dance Dance Revolution and karaoke.

I don't really place official limits, mostly because I don't need to. My daughter is 10 and has grown up this way, so she is more likely to pick up another activity than do a screen-based one. When she's on a Webkinz kick, she might play every day for a week, but then she might not touch it again for a month. Webkinz and YouTube are her main computer activities; in fact, both of us enjoy YouTube for music, movies, and funny clips. I watch some t.v. online.

The t.v. is almost never on, except to watch a video/DVD periodically. She gets enough t.v. at other people's houses, like grandma's.

We go through stages where we play PS2 games and might play for an hour or two one day, but then don't play for weeks or months.

She likes to read, play outside, do crafts, do art, do imaginary play, invent things, and so on, so when she asks to have screen time, I usually don't have a problem with it. She self-monitors very well. She'll find herself getting bored with the screen and just be done with it. She also has no patience for a lot of what passes for kids' entertainment on a screen, like online colouring, online puzzles, silly little action games, and so on. But she has a ton of patience and persistence when it comes to making something, doing a real puzzle, or beading mini beads on a loom. I'm glad she's spent so much time interacting with the real world.

We have some of the basic guidelines like internet only in public area of the house, etc. Of four kids, there is only one that I worry spends too much time with technology, but he is into stop motion animation, Scratch, creative things that require open-ended time on the computer.

Here are some guidelines we came up with (but don't enforce well enough:glare:

Screen time guidelines

Screen time between 7-8 a.m.

Schoolwork, guitar, Wii, etc. 8-2 with lunch and recess break

Educational TV counts

After 2 – screen time only if have put in five hours of schoolwork (Bible, math, language arts, social studies, art, music, keyboarding, etc.)

Next day:

Homework must be done on time or no screen time.

If not ready to work by 9 a.m., must go to bed by 8:30 pm that night.

Guest InspiredMama

We're another family with very young children - 4.5 & 2 so our tech limits will probably change as they grow but for now we're don't have a TV available (we actually have a late model one but its packed away by choice), we have a laptop that DS1 spends about half an hour every second day on Reading Eggs and during spring we get torrential downpours so I might put beatrix potter/winnie the pooh/noddy episodes on via youtube once every few days but otherwise nada. We have a dishwasher the boys load and unload, a phone they talk to grandparents on and DH and I have basic cellphones but thats it technology-wise.

We do this because we find the boys, especially DS1 being that bit older, are alot calmer and way more creative and imaginative without any other influences. Computer use will probably go up as they get further along in their schooling I guess but it will always be something we limit quite drastically.