Menu

What is the best self-help book you have read?

One of my husband's life changing self-help books is Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez. The other is The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

Regards,

Kareni

I have not read The Power of Now but Your Money Or Your Life was an eye-opener for me. I would say it put me on a path that lead straight to leaving work to stay home and homeschool my kids.

Well, it's not exactly a self-help book, but Affluenza really changed the way I look at life and consumption. It had a deep influence on me. Drive by Janine Walker Caffrey is at the top of my list at the moment as well.

I'm :bigear: for more!

I found this free on YouTube. Thank you for sharing!

I love reading self-help...

The best narrative self helps--Have a Little Faith and Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Album

The best parenting books--Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell, How to Really Love Your Child by Ross Campbell

The best "learn how to not get offended by others, how to not feel like a victim, gain power over your emotions, heal your relationships, etc.": Bonds That Make Us Free by C. Terry Warner

I found this free on YouTube. Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome! The documentary is good, but the book is better--more in-depth. I actually only saw the documentary a month or so ago for the first time, but I read the book almost 10 years ago, I think! If you have time and can get your hands on it, I recommend it.

For finances: Your Money or Your Life

For parenting: Becoming the Parent You Want To Be, You Are Your Child's First Teacher, The Baby Book, and How to Really Love Your Child

For life: Revolution From Within

For business: Business By The Book

For inspiration: Lord of the Rings (OK, not self-help. But still, it can function that way)

For the best music and poetry with the most food for thought: The Lutheran Hymnal (1941)

For everything truly important: The Bible

I spent the years 1988 - 1991 reading all the "self help" books I could find. I was trying to fix myself (instead of quitting drinking ;)).

The first *effective* self help book I read, then, was "Alcoholics Anonymous."

The Power of Constructive Thinking by Emmet Fox was next.

Others of note:

The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck

Creative Visualization by Shakti Gwawain

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster

I read the Covey books, and went to a Covey seminar on family. I attended alone, although married to my xh. :lol: I liked the priority and time management ideas.

None of the above covers the parenting reading.

I don't read self-help books; the genre has just never interested me.

I have a large, opinionated family to tell me everything I need to change about myself (and how to do it) LOL.

When I need direction and "self help" there are two places I look to:

Myself, a poem by Edgar Guest

the Serenity Prayer

I find that those two sources pretty much help me in all areas of life.