Menu

I have a confession to make--regarding Mike's...

I *tried* to like it. I feel really, really left out when y'all have these "I Love Mike's" threads. I never drink alcohol, not because of any particular moral objection, just because I haven't really tried it. After thinking it over long and hard, I bought a six pack, and tried one.

Ummm....

It still tastes like alcohol to me! :ack2:

I like the idea of settling down with an "adult beverage" on the occasional weekend when I'd like to "cut loose" a little (whatever that might mean), but I guess I just can't acclimate to the bitter taste (?).

Is there any alcoholic beverage where you really can't taste the alcohol?

-just wonderin' :D

Try the Arbor Mist wines. I like the Zinfandels. :)

(The other option is mixed drinks with high-priced liquor. LOL You can't taste the good stuff! :lol: IE: margaritas made with Everclear vodka, or Absolut Citron vodka mixed with Sprite. Or a cherry sour. Okay, so, I like vodka. :lol: Not that I get to have it very often....)

I've tried red wine, white wine, wine coolers, pina coladas, strawberry daquiris, champagne, and a few others I can't remember. I think those are all pretty mild, so if I don't like them, I think I'm sunk. On top of everything else, alcohol has calories, so I finally decided to not bother.

Good luck in your search. :)

I didn't have alcohol until I was in my thirties, and I didn't like much of it at first. (In fact, I remember thinking that my church leaders could have skipped all the "Don't drink" lessons if they had just given us all a taste of it!:lol:)

Anyway, some of the first drinks I liked: Mike's (there are several flavors to try), wine coolers, white zinfandel, peachtree and pineapple juice, and mojitos (rum--which I hate in every other drink--, lime juice, and mint).

but he doesn't like me. It makes me bloated every time I drink it. So he no longer gets invited to my house. Does this happen to anyone else?

I mostly drink red wine (merlot, pinot noir). Occasionally, I'll have a margarita if we go out to eat.

As to your question of what doesn't taste like alcohol, I don't think margaritas do. I long ago had a pina coloda (sp?), and I don't remember it tasting like alcohol.

Good luck on your search!

I make pina coladas by putting a bag of Dole frozen pineapple in a blender with coconut rum (Capt Morgan, Malibu, or Cruzan). For an extra sweet taste, you can add some Coco Lopez coconut cream. I'm a big drinker, lol, but I have to say this tastes less like alcohol than anything else we drink.

I tried Mike's years ago, before I ever saw it mentioned on this board. I didn't think it was that great, but at that time they only had the Hard Lemonade, I think. If you want something sweet and not-too-alcohol-tasting, try a Strawberry Daiquiri flavored wine cooler. It's about as close to Kool-Aid as you can get and still have some alcohol content. :001_smile:

As far as wine goes, I really can only enjoy White Zinfandel, Riesling, and Asti Spumanti. My mixed drink of choice is a Long Island Ice Tea. Yum!

I've never had a Mike's. I don't care too much for fruity, flavored drinks. The exception would be a margarita -- not strawberry!

I do like sweet red wines...mostly from local wineries here in Texas. Budweiser Select is one of my favorite beers. I also like Killean's Irish Red and Shiner Bock.

I've tried red wine, white wine, wine coolers, pina coladas, strawberry daquiris, champagne, and a few others I can't remember. I think those are all pretty mild, so if I don't like them, I think I'm sunk. On top of everything else, alcohol has calories, so I finally decided to not bother.

Good luck in your search. :)

Same here! I tried several things over the years, but even the drinks that everyone swore tasted nothing like alcohol, were still overpowering to me. I gave up too, and now, if I want a drink "treat" I have a bottle or can of diet soda. That tastes much better to me than any alcoholic beverage, and has no calories!

Erica

Try Smirnoff Ice...I like these and I really HATE the taste of alcohol. I am not a frequent drinker but this is nice for a stressful day. That is, unless you can get to the nearest Chili's and try a Presidente' margarita!!!Now that is a great way to unwind when the kiddos are away!

I don't care much for the taste of alcohol either. I like the fruity sweet mixed drinks if I can get one in a restaurant. :D Wine coolers are good. I do like Mike's though.

I can confess that I hate, loathe, and despise beer though. The idea of enjoying a beer does not compute with me! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Napa Valley has some wonderful wines you might try. I miss everything about California. Well almost everything.

I *tried* to like it. I feel really, really left out when y'all have these "I Love Mike's" threads. I never drink alcohol, not because of any particular moral objection, just because I haven't really tried it. After thinking it over long and hard, I bought a six pack, and tried one.

Ummm....

It still tastes like alcohol to me! :ack2:

I like the idea of settling down with an "adult beverage" on the occasional weekend when I'd like to "cut loose" a little (whatever that might mean), but I guess I just can't acclimate to the bitter taste (?).

Is there any alcoholic beverage where you really can't taste the alcohol?

-just wonderin' :D

I can confess that I hate, loathe, and despise beer though. The idea of enjoying a beer does not compute with me! :tongue_smilie:

People always told me beer was an acquired taste. My thought was, "Why bother???" :ack2:

When I was younger, I tried various concoctions my friends assured me would change my mind. I never found one.

And, since even trying the small amounts of the ones I did taste nearly always resulted in a nasty headache the following morning, I finally decided I just wasn't meant to drink and gave up the quest.

Honestly, I suspect this decision was motivated also by the knowledge that I had several family members who were terrible about alcohol. None of them drank a lot, but they obviously couldn't handle what they did take in and made life extremely unpleasant for the rest of us. And since, in my case, it was clear that I would be drinking solely for the effect and not because I "liked the taste," I worried about my own ability to handle it, especially after watching so many of my smart, talented friends crash and burn as a result of substance abuse problems.

I'm in my 40s now and just can't imagine why anyone would want to work too hard to break through this particular barrier.