Menu

Unexpected generosity...Anyone have someone do something you were grateful for?

I went to this shop that sells unique gifts. I was looking and looking for a nice gift that wasn't too pricey. A lady suggested a Russian Icon of Mary and Jesus. My friend is Roman Catholic and I wasn't sure if it ended up being Eastern Orthodox if that would be a problem. So, I settled for something else. Later, I decided I was going to go back and get the other item. After thinking about it, I remembered her son was adopted from Russia. Duh! I get so overwhelmed by the crowds and trying to find just the right thing I totally didn't think of that. So, I go to exchange items, they have a no return policy, and owe a little over $2. They don't take cc for items under $10. I said outloud that I didn't have any money. The owner said she wouldn't take cc because of the fees and they loose money under a certain amount. I was trying to think of what to do, since they were closing. Well, this gentleman paid for it. It was embarrassing but I remembered to say Thanks! It is hard to accept other people's graciousness sometimes isn't it? Especially if it means humbling one's self.

I went to this shop that sells unique gifts. I was looking and looking for a nice gift that wasn't too pricey. A lady suggested a Russian Icon of Mary and Jesus. My friend is Roman Catholic and I wasn't sure if it ended up being Eastern Orthodox if that would be a problem. So, I settled for something else. Later, I decided I was going to go back and get the other item. After thinking about it, I remembered her son was adopted from Russia. Duh! I get so overwhelmed by the crowds and trying to find just the right thing I totally didn't think of that. So, I go to exchange items, they have a no return policy, and owe a little over $2. They don't take cc for items under $10. I said outloud that I didn't have any money. The owner said she wouldn't take cc because of the fees and they loose money under a certain amount. I was trying to think of what to do, since they were closing. Well, this gentleman paid for it. It was embarrassing but I remembered to say Thanks! It is hard to accept other people's graciousness sometimes isn't it? Especially if it means humbling one's self.

Awesome! Don't be embarrassed. You just gave that man the gift of being able to give and there is a blessing in that. You'll do the same another day.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

It is hard to accept other people's graciousness sometimes isn't it? Especially if it means humbling one's self.

:iagree: Yes. It is. In Sunday School last week we were talking about how a church should take care of its people (more on an emotional/personal level, not necessarily meeting physical needs, how we should be involved in each other's lives, stuff like that) and how part of that is being transparent and not just saying, "Fine" all the time when people ask how you're doing. So, I just opened up and said I was struggling, but it's hard to admit it because when you have a large-ish family people say, "you shouldn't complain, after all you chose to adopt all those kids", etc, etc., etc. Anyhow, after class a lady came up to me and offered to pay for a year of part time domestic help for me. I was really touched by her generosity!

:iagree: Yes. It is. In Sunday School last week we were talking about how a church should take care of its people (more on an emotional/personal level, not necessarily meeting physical needs, how we should be involved in each other's lives, stuff like that) and how part of that is being transparent and not just saying, "Fine" all the time when people ask how you're doing. So, I just opened up and said I was struggling, but it's hard to admit it because when you have a large-ish family people say, "you shouldn't complain, after all you chose to adopt all those kids", etc, etc., etc. Anyhow, after class a lady came up to me and offered to pay for a year of part time domestic help for me. I was really touched by her generosity!

How wonderful!

Right before moving out of state, I was buying yard mulch one Sunday afternoon. The stack was too high was me to lift down the bags. I was at one of those gas stations with mulch bags and not a home improvement store with employees.

Being the "religious" type that I am, I prayed and said "ok God. help me please." The next second a blue pick up truck stopped next to me in the gas station parking lot. The man got out and said "I will help you." He loaded all 6 bags of mulch in my minivan and then turned to me said "May God bless you today." and I said "I think He just did. Thank you for being his hands and arms today."

I was grateful for help.

-crystal

Many years ago when the children were younger, we took a trip downtown to ride trolley, appreciate distinctive architecture, visit waterfront park, etc. For lunch, we stopped at a popular hotdog eatery. Before ordering, I checked how much cash I had on hand only to discover that I was short of cash. Thus, I ordered only for the children. This was around 3:00 p.m. so it was in the off hours. A few minutes later, the owner, a kindly Russian lady, brought me a full meal that "someone ordered and canceled."

Oh my goodness yes. The people I work with are amazing.

1. When we got the call to pick up our baby girl we had exactly 12 hours notice and we didnt own one single baby item since my youngest was 6yo. By the time we got back from the 10 hour trip to pick her up, my house looked like a babies r us exploded! One email to staff from one friend of ours and they all showed up with more stuff than we could ever use.

2. When I flew back to the states to see my family, I had only been there two days when I got the call that my dh had been in a motorcycle accident back here and had broken his neck. I was 10,000 miles away. He was in the hospital. The staff again sprang into action and organized who was caring for my 3 children, who was cooking meals, who was staying with my husband in the hospital, etc. until I could get back which took 3 days.

I have amazing people in my life here.

2 years ago, my DH lost his job. It was the beginning of November. We found out 4 days later that I was pregnant(with no insurance now!) and then Christmas and my DS's birthday were coming. We are a family with small means so the little savings we had went quickly to pay bills, buy groceries, etc. We rarely left the house to conserve gas, etc. About two weeks before Christmas, we received a Christmas card in our mail slot at church and in it was over $300 and several gift cards with almost another $200. There was a note that said that a group of church members had wanted us to still give the kids some Christmas gifts and anything else we may have needed at the time, so they got together and rounded up all of that. It was completely humbling. We love our church family.

This is a great thread - so encouraging!

Last spring or summer (I'm getting old - cant' remember) I posted here about not having money for gas. A dear and precious lady here sent me her tithe for the month - $300!!!! I was and am still completely humbled and very, very grateful. I will not name her because I think she may want to remain anonymous, but God knows who she is.:) May He richly bless her with her heart's desire.

We had a few hard years - Christmas 2008 was one of the worst. Our business was closing, our house was foreclosed on, I was *very* pregnant with #7, we were living in a partly remodeled trailer with little heat, and we had *nothing* for Christmas.

Some people I didn't know, who heard about our predicament through a friend of my Dad's, got together and gave us Christmas. There was food, presents, gift cards, etc. It was wonderful!

The next year, someone who has already posted in this thread about kindness she received took up a collection from people right here on this board. We had a wonderful Christmas through the generosity of TWTM. It was enough that I was able to forward some on to another friend who was in the same boat and two families were blessed!

I hope that in the future we are able to do the same for someone who is down on their luck.

:grouphug:

I have received blessing after blessing in the last year alone. First, Lilbit needed surgery shortly after birth. Our faith family sprung into action, everyone taking turns feeding and caring for my 6 other children, for 3 weeks, over Christmas.

Also during that time many online friends sent gifts for the baby and money for us.

Since then we have hit other financial hardships and friends have sent funds to help out.

Just amazing! I am still in awe of the generosity we have received, in our lives, but just this last year alone. Wow.

I wanted to bring the kids to see Yo Gabba Gabba Live since my 2yo is a Gabba fiend. She asks to watch it every single day. Normally we could afford it by shifting the budget a little, but this holiday season we had already spent some money helping out another family. Plus DH works away from home and I couldn't imagine trying to keep tabs on two kids trying to dance in the aisles while toting a baby. And did I mention the nearest show was an hour away?

I told my aunt about it and she bought us all tickets, drove us to the show (from her house, so I only had to go halfway), and helped with the kids.

When I was put on bedrest with The Drama, our church ward arranged free childcare for two solid weeks until I hit 36 weeks since I wasn't supposed to get off the couch (threatened with hossy bedrest if a single thing changed, and no way on earth could we afford THAT).

Last Christmas, our camera broke. There was no way we could come up with the money to replace it. We received an anonymous Christmas card with $100 cash in it.

Just last week, we paid tithing and didn't have enough to buy more food until tomorrow. We had enough to scrape by with from-the-pantry dinners, but it was getting dicey for Saturday, and there were no lunch/snack/etc foods at all. Saturday morning, my SIL called to ask if we could use the big pile of leftovers from their church Christmas party, as they had way too much food left. She also added their own surplus fruit. Win!!!! (She wasn't even supposed to be in charge of the food--it was a last minute change.) We also got to eat free at our own church Christmas party and dh was given some leftovers there, too.

:party:

My story is almost 20 years old, but when my husband and I were engaged, a relative gave me a financial gift out of the blue -- this person didn't know it at the time, but it was enough for me to pay off what was left of my student loans, which was so nice to be able to do before we said the "I wills." I was so thankful for that, and still am.

A lady from who who I didn't know asked if she could bring me dinner one night. Not only did she bring a huge meal, she also brought a cake, christmas cookies to decorate, coloring books and activities for my kids, and her christmas jar full of cash with the book Christmas Jars. I had a wonderful stres_free evening with my kids after a very difficult week. It was wonderful!

I think I might have told this story in another thread a few months ago....

My ds needed a baby tooth pulled then a window cut into the roof of his mouth to expose the impacted adult canine so it can be pulled down with his braces. Since dh was retired due to a disabling work injury, we have health insurance but not dental insurance. Health insurance would not cover the procedure and it would have cost us over $2500 which we didn't have.

The oral surgeon started talking to my ds about wrestling during the consult (ds looks like the wrestler he is and oral surgeon was a wrestler and coach). He went to see if the procedure would be covered then came out and said, "It's on me." He didn't charge us anything at all. Besides nearly to crying with relief, I did thank him.

I had asked my oldest what she wanted for Xmas and she posted a list on FB- all expensive electronic items. I told her it would be a lean year because we have been spending so much on the house so it wasn't a very helpful list-kwim?

A friend called out of the blue on Sat and said she couldn't sleep that night, got up at 3 a.m. and was perusing a discount site on line. She found an item on my dd's list for 75% off and was getting it for us to give to dd! :001_smile:. Good friends are worth their weight in gold.

I was coming up on an expressway toll booth once and had no cash. I was able to dig out just enough change to make the toll and them promptly dropped one of the quarters under the seat of my car. :glare: It was my turn at the booth with a line of cars behind. I knew I was going to have to pull over and dig out that quarter. I sheepishly asked the guy if he would take my debit card. He said no, but that the person ahead of me had already paid my toll and waved me on through.

I was so thankful you better believe I got some cash and paid a toll for someone else on the way home.

I can only think of one situation where someone helped me. The man had such a kind look in his eyes and was happy to accept my stuttered thank you, and wish me a happy day as he walked away. I have been blessed to be able to help others and I've always treated them the same way. I do what I can in a discreet way and do my best to not cause embarrassment.

Last week, DH came home from town and sheepishly said he had splurged on something for Christmas. I was already anxious about what we had spent on gifts so far so it was kinda unsettling to hear.

He then goes on and says that the family ahead of him at the grocery store didn't have enough $ in their debit for the transaction to go through so as they were off trying the ATM, DH paid for their groceries and left.

He completely caught me off guard-- definitely the best "splurge" he's ever made! ;)

Also this upcoming weekend, we are having an extended family Christmas get-together at a waterpark hotel a few hours away.

DH's uncle has paid for our room-- a large enough one with bunkbeds that all 7 of us can stay in together-- so nice since I'm hugely pregnant with twins and don't expect to travel much more before they arrive so this will be our one last hurrah!:D

Last week, DH came home from town and sheepishly said he had splurged on something for Christmas. I was already anxious about what we had spent on gifts so far so it was kinda unsettling to hear.

He then goes on and says that the family ahead of him at the grocery store didn't have enough $ in their debit for the transaction to go through so as they were off trying the ATM, DH paid for their groceries and left.

He completely caught me off guard-- definitely the best "splurge" he's ever made! ;)

Also this upcoming weekend, we are having an extended family Christmas get-together at a waterpark hotel a few hours away.

DH's uncle has paid for our room-- a large enough one with bunkbeds that all 7 of us can stay in together-- so nice since I'm hugely pregnant with twins and don't expect to travel much more before they arrive so this will be our one last hurrah!:D

How nice!

We have no money for presents and I just wanted to buy a small gift for each child. An online friend emailed me a gift card for Target. I am really thankful for that. We have been struggling and the little gifts and blessings we have been extended are what is keeping me going currently. It seems something small comes each time I feel like this burden is to much.

We have no money for presents and I just wanted to buy a small gift for each child. An online friend emailed me a gift card for Target. I am really thankful for that. We have been struggling and the little gifts and blessings we have been extended are what is keeping me going currently. It seems something small comes each time I feel like this burden is to much.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We were eating out (a rarity with 4 littles), and when it was time for the bill (probably $40.00!) the waitress informed me that a woman at another table had already paid it! She told the waitress how delighted she was to see a sweet family <snort> out to eat together and wanted to bless us! She left long before we could thank her...

I've had the delightful pleasure to pass this forward a few times now myself...it's fun and a little sneaky, which makes it more fun!!

I posted awhile back about how to afford curriculum on such a tight budget. The next thing I knew I was flooded with PMs and received enough curriculum to keep is going for 2 years. I have since passed on what I could to another family at our co-op that is struggling. The kindness shown by the hive members truly moved me to tears.

I have "adopted" a family who is struggling for Christmas. I am not very familiar with what is available in this family's area. So I emailed my oldest dd's soccer team to ask as several families live out that way. I just needed some info, kwim? Three people gave me $$ and gift cards for this family. I wanted to cry. They have never even met them!!

We were eating out (a rarity with 4 littles), and when it was time for the bill (probably $40.00!) the waitress informed me that a woman at another table had already paid it! She told the waitress how delighted she was to see a sweet family <snort> out to eat together and wanted to bless us! She left long before we could thank her...

I've had the delightful pleasure to pass this forward a few times now myself...it's fun and a little sneaky, which makes it more fun!!

This happened to us in Florence about two months ago. We struck up a conversation with a couple next to us who were celebrating their anniversary and when I took the boys out to the square so dh could finish in peace they paid for our meal. :001_wub: Dh and I have had so many little blessings this year - the friend that brings me clothes she ordered but came the wrong size and are usually just what I've been looking for myself, the cabin that fell into our laps when we went tent camping and it was the day before a storm hit..we decided to make a conscious effort to pay it forward this Christmas and do what we can for others.

I have been blessed so many times I couldn't begin to list them all. DH was at school for the Army and the kids and I planned to go visit him one weekend. I was trying to find a cheap hotel and mentioned the trip at a ladies' class at church. After class someone came up and gave me an envelope with $100 to pay for our hotel. I don't know who the money came from - I just cried. When dh was deployed I received so many meal and offers for babysitting it was overwhelming. At Christmas that year a couple we were very close to adopted my kids. They made sure they had every. single. thing they put on their wish lists - it was amazing. That same year I recieved a $500 Target card anonymously in the mail. Since the kids were all covered thanks to my dear friends, I was able to anonymously buy my sister all new baby things since she was pg at the time and far from home.

That year will stand out as one when I was completely washed in blessings. It's so fun to be able to pass those kind, wonderful feelings on through the years.