Menu

What can I do with a lot of eggs?

Mainly, I need a suggestion for dinner tonight! But I also need some creative ideas for future recipes so that I can try to use up these 10 dozen eggs I somehow managed to accumulate. We're all a bit tired of scrambled eggs and fried eggs at the moment :tongue_smilie:

TIA!

Quiche for savory stuff and poundcake (poundcakes freeze really well) are my two go-to recipes for using lots of eggs. For quiche, you can use a pastry crust, or just coat the pie dish with olive oil, then line (imperfectly) with very thinly sliced potatoes. Mix eggs and milk (any ratio between 4 eggs to 1C milk up to 1 egg per 1 C milk -- I would start with 6 eggs and 1.5C milk) and salt and pepper. Put cheese, veggies, meats, whatever into the crust, then pour in the egg/milk mixture and bake (350 until just setting in the middle -- probably 45-60 minutes), then let it sit for 10 minutes before you cut into it. Classic fillings would be ham and swiss or mushrooms, spinach, and other cheeses... Very forgiving though -- you can put in all sorts of things.

Mix a dozen eggs with a bag of frozen cut/chopped spinach (no need to thaw), a container of cottage cheese, and a cup or two of shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in a casserole at 350* for 30-45 minutes, until mostly set and lightly brown around the edges. So good, so easy; my kids literally cheer when I announce that this is for dinner.

German pancake

6 eggs

1 cup milk

dash salt

blend in blender on low

Melt 1/4-1/2 cup butter in 9 by 13 pan in 425 degree oven

When butter is melted add 1 cup flour to the egg/milk mixture and blend gently

Pour in pan, bake 20 mintues.

Serves 4-6

We like it plain or with fruit topping, or syrup or powdered sugar.

Mix a dozen eggs with a bag of frozen cut/chopped spinach (no need to thaw), a container of cottage cheese, and a cup or two of shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in a casserole at 350* for 30-45 minutes, until mostly set and lightly brown around the edges. So good, so easy; my kids literally cheer when I announce that this is for dinner.

This sounds good. Does it have a name? What are the package sizes of the spinach and cottage cheese?

We use up our eggs in..

German Pancakes

Quiche

Deviled eggs

Breakfast Burritos(google for a freezer recipe for these for quick breakfasts)

Breakfast casserole(tater tots or hashbrowns in a 9x13, 1 lb of sausage cooked and crumbled on top, shredded cheese and then 12 eggs beaten with 1-2 cups milk and salt pepper and garlic powder, bake)

Egg Foo Young (for breakfast or for dinner)

Stuffed French Toast Casserole(Need 12 pieces of Texas Toast or other thick sliced bread, need big 9x13 pan. Put 6 slices of bread in, mix a brick and a half of cream cheese(12oz), 1/4 cup of butter and 1 cup powdered sugar into a filling and spread over bread, top with fruit of choice.. I use 1.5 cups of blueberries.. Top with remaining 6 slices of bread. Blend 12 eggs and 1.5 cups of milk and a little maple flavoring and pour over bread. lift up a little so mixture gets underneath and let sit until absorbed. then bake).

Cook Ramen noodles under done and then scramble in a pan with 1 egg for each package.

Google a recipe for Donburi (may be spelled domburi). Yumm!

Egg Bundles - roll out refridgerated tube biscuits very thin and line muffin tins(the big ones are better). Add a small cube of cream cheese to the bottom, beat eggs with milk as for scrambled eggs and fill each biscuit well.. Leave room to top with bacon bits, shredded cheese, green onions or whatever you like. Bake - (eggs puff so don't overfill)

French Toast Casserole, Egg Casserole, and egg bundles all freeze very well in individual portions.

I also freeze plain french toast (uncooked) to be cooked up fresh at a later time. 1 egg, 2 tblsp milk, 1.5 tsp sugar, splash vanilla per piece of thicksliced Texas Toast bread. Let absorb and place on waxed paper on cookie sheet to freeze. Once frozen, place in a gallon sized ziploc and take out to cook as needed. This is a thick custard-y style french toast.

oh.....

pavlova......

boiled icing with candy cane chips

and use it to ice

angel food cake

meringue cookies

lemon meringue pie.....

breakfast burritos (scrambled eggs, grated cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa.... wrap in burrito)

crepes

any of the breakfast casseroles.....

quiche

souffle

what a lovely problem to have :001_smile:

our chickens have stopped laying and won't start again until they are getting more sunlight....

ann

We like the Greek recipes, too! (and yes, lots of eggs)

We also eat "puffed pancake" (not sure that is its real name).

4 eggs

1 cup flour

1 cup milk

Mix well (whisk), and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook 20 min. at 350 in a casserole dish in which 1/2 cup butter has been melted.

Serve with pancake syrup (we use real maple syrup) or powdered sugar.

Well I can't believe I didn't see french toast mentioned.:lol: My recipe calls for a dozen eggs. When I need to use up eggs I make a lot of egg nog, scrambled eggs (I know you've had enough of those :)), angel food cake (takes up to 18 eggs), french toast, strata, and boiled, my kids love em' for snacks.:)

I'm in the same boat, so I went searching for recipes on allrecipes.com. I made a "Puerto Rican Breakfast Custard" and added a few yolks to the recipe. It was really yummy, but it felt like I was eating pudding for breakfast!

I also saw an idea on Pinterest where you crack an egg into greased muffin cups, then bake and make breakfast sandwiches with ham or Canadian bacon and cheese on an English muffin. The site said they could be frozen easily also.

Lana

We have chickens, so we get over-run with eggs occasionally! I did not see hard boiled eggs mentioned; my kids love them for snacks (use the older ones...farm fresh eggs do not peel easily). Also, popovers and egg sandwiches use a lot of eggs. You can always give them away for some neighborly good will!

what a lovely problem to have :001_smile:

our chickens have stopped laying and won't start again until they are getting more sunlight....

Ours are down to 4-6 a day, but I'm certain we will still have eggs in the fridge by the time they start laying again.

I think my mainstays have already been posted. Hard boiled eggs, baked eggs, pound cake.

Well I can't believe I didn't see french toast mentioned.:lol:

I know! I was coming in here to suggest french toast. Or maybe a bagel with scrambled eggs. I'd suggest asking your dh which he'd prefer.

:D

Oh please!!! Like I'd touch either of those with a 10-foot pole right now! (Besides, DH is juicing in the mornings these days. Guess who he does NOT ask to juice for him? :lol:)

This sounds good. Does it have a name? What are the package sizes of the spinach and cottage cheese?

It's an adaptation from the Everything Slow Cooker cookbook; it's called something like "Spinach, Egg, and Cheese Casserole." (The original recipe calls for using a crockpot for a few hours, plus a flour base, and a stick of butter; I leave out the flour to make it a low-carb dish, and the butter doesn't really add much to the flavor, so I often skip it too.)

For 10-12 eggs, I usually use a 16-ounce bag of spinach (two bags is too much) and a 32-ounce container of cottage cheese, plus about two cups of shredded cheese, but you can adjust to taste.