Menu

DD5 licks her lips so much, she has the area around them inflamed..what to do?

DD5 goes through this every winter. This is the worst I have seen. She is to the point, that cries if she has to eat anything.

I use Burts Bees lip balm on her lips and skin about 4 times a day. I alternate that with coconut oil (she will let me use this more than the BB but I don't think it works as well). I will even sneak in her room at night and put it on her. She says it stings, so she is reluctant to let me use it more than I already force her to let me use it on her. She isn't licking the balm off, she really doesn't like it. About 2 minutes after I put it on her, I let her wipe off any excess with a towel, so she doesn't lick at the excess.

She drinks/pees quite a bit, so I don't think she is dehydrated.

She hasn't been in the sun/wind so it isn't chaffed from either of those. It doesn't look like an allergy or fungus infection. It always starts with lip licking (starts with healthy skin-red irritated lips), not the other way around.

Our house has been a bit dry the past few days, so I think I will run the humidifier to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions?

It's a habit. My youngest did that on and off for a year or so around that age.

1) Vaseline, old fashioned, is the only thing that really works. Swab it on all over the affected area many times a day, and apply generously at bed time. It really will help it heal 10x better than anything else.

2) It is a behavioral habit. Remind her not to lick. Reward her for not licking, and for applying the vaseline frequently.

3) The irritated skin wants to be licked -- just like the temptation to lick chapped lips. You need it to heal in order to reduce that temptation!

Worked for us. Once the habit is broken, the skin can heal, and the habit can end.

ETA: DO NOT use anything that smells or tastes good. The last thing you want to do is encourage licking, and the cherry smelling or otherwise flavored balms do exactly that. BTDT. Trust me, use the plain vaseline.

Edited by StephanieZ

My son has done this since he was 3 (he is 9 now). My sister has pictures of him at her wedding with that red ring around his mouth!

He uses neosporin. I give him a tube and he keeps it on his headboard and uses it before he goes to bed. He then uses it as needed during the day.

I use burts bees or chapstick but ds9 doesn't like the minty "sting" of it.

Guest submarines

DD had this issue when she was 4-5 years old. I used lansinoh, the cream designed for breasfeeding mothers to apply on their chapped nipples. It is safe to swallow and was very effective. A tube will last you forever. I ended up rationing small portions to many a friend, who had chapped skin due to colds, like under their noses.

We put Renew (Melaleuca's lotion) on it twice a day for two days clears it right now. When Victoria came, she was addicted to lip balm. I completely disagree with that stuff and don't see that it works anyway. The reason she has an issue is licking. I simply tell her not to. She's only had an issue twice since we cleared up the initial problem.

Guest submarines
My son has done this since he was 3 (he is 9 now). My sister has pictures of him at her wedding with that red ring around his mouth!

He uses neosporin. I give him a tube and he keeps it on his headboard and uses it before he goes to bed. He then uses it as needed during the day.

I use burts bees or chapstick but ds9 doesn't like the minty "sting" of it.

Neosporin is not safe to ingest! And if he licks his lips, he IS ingesting it.

DS had trouble with this, for several years.

During the day: chapstick, or the little vaseline tubes, and reminding not to lick.

Over night, and sometimes during the day if it was really bad: white diaper rash cream. Worked very well to restore inflamed skin. (We prefer the Weleda Calendula cream, but the main ingredient is zinc oxide which is the ingredient in any generic diaper rash cream)

He still needs to have a chapstick all the time, but is not licking so much anymore.

Waxy chapstick stays put the longest....vaseline, A&D are both excellent for not tasting very good. I'd sneak into the one son's room a couple times at night, and put A&D on his under-the-nose area, plus around lips. He'd twitch around a lot, funny.

My daughter gets eczema on her lips and face and it is especially bad during the winter months. It looks chapped and her lips will peel badly.

The dermatologist suggested Eucerin for her lips and it has helped tremendously.

Personally I'd steer away from anything that tasted GOOD or it may encourage more licking. And oddly enough most made-for-lips products like Chapstick actually make her lips worse. I don't know if it is the perfumes or what.

Edited by Daisy

All my kids did this around that age. The two that didn't stop were the two that eventually had braces. The "kool aid stain" went away after the braces worked to pull their front teeth down (bucked).

When I was told their teeth were bucked I didn't see it. Only with I saw the casts of their teeth was it visible. I guess I was so used to looking at them.

If the habit continues beyond one season it might be something to discuss with the dentist.

Until then, get a chap stick they'll tolerate and apply vigorously. At night is key because when they fall asleep they're less likely to lick it off and it will heal some overnight.

If you're not going anywhere, try putting band-aids over her lips-- not on the lip skin itself, but right on the edge of the red area. This works well overnight too. I cut them in half lengthwise to get two very skinny band-aids and then put them on so that the gauze part hangs over onto the lip skin. I know that sounds bizarre, but it stops my 5yo as soon as this habit begins to show up. When she starts to unconsciously lick, her tongue touches the band-aid and she remembers to stop. Vaseline has helped her skin heal up, too.

My 8 year old is having this problem, by the corners of her mouth. We've been putting vaseline on at night....but, it's been a slow healing process. I never thought of using diaper rash cream. I do still have a little A&E and Desitin. I'll try one (and then the other if it's not working). Thanks for posting this to get these good ideas.

Triple paste diaper cream! It works beyond amazing. Feel free to pm me and I'll give you a link to some pictures of my son. He looked terrible last year. One night of diaper cream and it's gone! We use 3-4 times per week over the winter as soon as his mouth starts to look bad.

Is the product actually called Triple Paste Diaper Cream?

Edited by ~AprilMay~

It's a habit. My youngest did that on and off for a year or so around that age.

1) Vaseline, old fashioned, is the only thing that really works. Swab it on all over the affected area many times a day, and apply generously at bed time. It really will help it heal 10x better than anything else.

2) It is a behavioral habit. Remind her not to lick. Reward her for not licking, and for applying the vaseline frequently.

3) The irritated skin wants to be licked -- just like the temptation to lick chapped lips. You need it to heal in order to reduce that temptation!

Worked for us. Once the habit is broken, the skin can heal, and the habit can end.

ETA: DO NOT use anything that smells or tastes good. The last thing you want to do is encourage licking, and the cherry smelling or otherwise flavored balms do exactly that. BTDT. Trust me, use the plain vaseline.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Vaseline is the best.

I also like the Burt's Bees balm, but it does sting a bit on chapped skin. When I need a thick barrier of protection (not just moisturizer), Lansinoh is my first choice.

Most of the Burt's Bees products have peppermint oil in them. It is an irritant and can make the problem worse for sensitive people. I definitely second the Lansinoh.

And if she is old enough for logic...remind her that the job of our saliva is to begin food digestion. When she is licking constantly, she is beginning that digestion process on her poor lips. No wonder they hurt! Logical explanations always work here, YMMV.

I know some people are very anti petroleum jelly, but I'm not. I have the new Vaseline with cocoa butter and it's wonderful. I keep a tub of it out and put it on DS2's lips and all around them pretty much every hour. I also remind him not to lick or wipe them, but mostly I just keep them coated with Vaseline.

This stuff is also great for lips:

NUK Gentle Moisturizing Balm

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2736631&prodFindSrc=search

Edited by laundrycrisis