Menu

If you had a choice of kitchen countertops, what would you choose?

Countertop choices  

1. 1. Countertop choices

• Granite
    • Granite tile
    • Formica that looks like granite or similar
    • Silestone or glass
    • Corion or man made sturdy substance
    • Ceramic tile
    • Other (please share!)

I replaced my formica with solid granite. darker granites are often harder. (you can test density by putting water on it and seeing how much is absorbed.) If I couldn't have granite, I would do a solid surface like corian or quartz.

that black stuff lab tables are made from is frequently honed (as opposed to polished) slate. most slate is nearly indestructable.

I love limestone and travertine, but dh was quite opposed because they are a softer stone. He did allow travertine as a backsplash. I found a porcelain tile that even my stone guy thought looked like real travertine to use in my shower.

Edited by gardenmom5

I didn't vote for anything - but count my post as a very vocal vote against tile! I have tile countertops and *hate* them. It is impossible to keep the grout clean even though it was sealed, I have one tile cracked down the middle and several chips. The grout along edge molding and around the sink is coming out. It doesn't help that I didn't want tile in the place and it was a compromise with my now-ex-h, but now I am the one stuck living with it. :tongue_smilie:

Everyone I know thinks I'm nuts but I like white countertops. White quartz is what I want. I can't stand not being able to instantly tell if a countertop is clean. I shouldn't have to run my hand across it to tell. I have a friend with dark granite and she says she likes it but when I'm there, I see her scanning it and running her hand and then picking stuff off. Ack. No thanks.

I have white and really like it. Easy to tell if it's clean and brightens the room. I need a bright kitchen or I feel like I'm in a cave and want to get out.

I don't actually know enough about the different types to have an opinion. However, we're now in our 2nd apartment with granite counters and I'm quite clear about one thing -- I want light colored countertops when I get to choose. Both granites have been on the darker end, with lots of lovely black flecks. But we had ants invade our kitchen... we couldn't see them on the counter. We would just get this odd sense that the countertop was moving. It was crazy, and disgusting. Both my husband and I agree that we want a countertop that we can see the dirt (and the ants!) on.

Have fun picking something beautiful!

:)

I chose granite (but not most of the granites I have seen -- I'm picky!), but if the color scheme supported it, I would like soapstone. If there were a lot of busy elements (backsplash, floors, etc), I might prefer a tasteful uniform solid surface.

When we renovated our kitchen, we really liked the look of soapstone. We have an old house and it would've gone well with the "new to look old" kitchen. However, soapstone is softer than granite and we were worried about that. Someone recommended honed granite so that is what we went with. They basically sand the sheen off of the granite so it looks like soapstone, but wears like granite. We have been very happy with it!!

I would probably choose that black stuff laboratory tables are made of. I like to put hot pots right on the counter, plus I don't want anything that stains.

Stainless steel. I want maple cabinets with stainless steel counter tops.

Actually, I could be persuaded to change my vote to stainless, which I simply forgot about. I like the stainless used in commercial kitchens,

I have laminate, would like to upgrade to solid surface. However, the only solid surface man-made options seem to have antibacterial something or other in them, so I'll probably be going with whatever natural surface that is best for our lifestyle. (No idea what that is just yet, though I'm leaning toward polished concrete)

That didn't help. Sigh.

If you put "tight budget" on any of the other choices, you get formica or tile. I played with it a bit. The truth is that the end result is all based on how much you are willing to spend.

Dawn

if you go to the dupont website, there is a quiz you can take that may help you select the best surface for how you use it. it was interesting!

ann

I hear that granite has to be sealed. YUCK. I also can't see spending that much on a counter top. They water stain and need special cleaners as well (coming from those who have it) to keep it looking nice. But for me, as a person who wants to wipe and clean a counter simply without it taking over my life, I'd never want granite. I don't want to spend time on making sure it's always shiny. It has this cold aspect to it. My neighbor got it and the moment her cup hit the counter that glass to glass sound came and it just turned me off. Obviously these are my reasons. But the price alone. Wow.

I'm just an old fashioned laminate girl. It's inexpensive and durable, doesn't require specialized cleaning and doesn't have fingerprint, dust, water spot issues. And if I hate it in 10 years, then I can cheaply change it out. I can't imagine that the same counter will be in style for as long as granite will last. To me that's forever years of making sure it isn't showing dirt and guilt of money spent when changing it out when I hate it in 10 years.

This past summer I installed ceramic tile on the majority of my counters, along with a beautiful butcher block on one 4' section. (I also have a custom designed backsplash with handpainted ceramic tiles dh brought me from Guatemala several years ago.) I love my kitchen counters! This is the first round with ceramic tiles for our family, and so far so good. But I have to say that I only used the tiles because they were available to me for FREE from my brother who is an interior designer. If I were purchasing new countertop for an updated or remodeled kitchen, I would go with a higher end formica or laminated counter top. Why? Because they look beautiful, last for years and are much more affordable. Prior to the ceramic tile, my kitchen had formica that had been in our 40's era bungalow for 50 years and they were still in perfect shape - just outdated in appearance.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have laminate now, which really surprised me when we moved here as laminate was only in apartments and rentals where we lived before.

Our neighborhood is a bit higher end (but older) and we have already had several comments from our neighbors who have tried to sell telling us that the comment cards left by realtors said that those looking expected granite.

But since our neighborhood is also older, the original kitchens had laminate for the most part.

I don't think we are going to sell anytime soon, but it is always in the back of our minds to some degree.

DH wants corion because he can cut it himself and save some $$. Granite needs to be cut and installed by a granite dealer. But another friend who has corion said when they put their house up for sale (ended up not selling and they are staying) they got many comments about how corion wasn't "up to snuff" and buyers expected granite or quartz.

So, countertops can make or break a sale, even though it shouldn't. I think when the market is down, people can be more picky.

Our problem is two fold on that front though:

1. We aren't anticipating selling for at least 5-10 years and who knows what the "in" thing will be then.

2. Countertops are quite personal and your blue countertop, even in nice granite, would dis-sway me from buying as I don't like blue.

So, whose to say my $5,000 countertops would really "sell" my house anyway.

Sigh.

Dawn

I hear that granite has to be sealed. YUCK. I also can't see spending that much on a counter top. They water stain and need special cleaners as well (coming from those who have it) to keep it looking nice. But for me, as a person who wants to wipe and clean a counter simply without it taking over my life, I'd never want granite. I don't want to spend time on making sure it's always shiny. It has this cold aspect to it. My neighbor got it and the moment her cup hit the counter that glass to glass sound came and it just turned me off. Obviously these are my reasons. But the price alone. Wow.

I'm just an old fashioned laminate girl. It's inexpensive and durable, doesn't require specialized cleaning and doesn't have fingerprint, dust, water spot issues. And if I hate it in 10 years, then I can cheaply change it out. I can't imagine that the same counter will be in style for as long as granite will last. To me that's forever years of making sure it isn't showing dirt and guilt of money spent when changing it out when I hate it in 10 years.

I have laminate now, which really surprised me when we moved here as laminate was only in apartments and rentals where we lived before.

Our neighborhood is a bit higher end (but older) and we have already had several comments from our neighbors who have tried to sell telling us that the comment cards left by realtors said that those looking expected granite.

But since our neighborhood is also older, the original kitchens had laminate for the most part.

I don't think we are going to sell anytime soon, but it is always in the back of our minds to some degree.

DH wants corion because he can cut it himself and save some $$. Granite needs to be cut and installed by a granite dealer. But another friend who has corion said when they put their house up for sale (ended up not selling and they are staying) they got many comments about how corion wasn't "up to snuff" and buyers expected granite or quartz.

So, countertops can make or break a sale, even though it shouldn't. I think when the market is down, people can be more picky.

Our problem is two fold on that front though:

1. We aren't anticipating selling for at least 5-10 years and who knows what the "in" thing will be then.

2. Countertops are quite personal and your blue countertop, even in nice granite, would dis-sway me from buying as I don't like blue.

So, whose to say my $5,000 countertops would really "sell" my house anyway.

Sigh.

Dawn

Corian is certainly not the newest thing in countertops and I have already weighed in against it. I just wanted to add that we did put Laminate set in wood in our bathroom and laundry room this summer. It sparkles and shines and is quite gorgeous. We have had lots of postive comments about it. We have been told that laminate made today no longer has some ingredients that make it last as long as the stuff that was made 40 years ago. What I am saying is, if you put in laminate, it will be lovely for now and maybe by the time you are ready to sell the house you will be ready to do something different. Enjoy your house now and don't worry about selling it. :)

Can you point me to your laminate?

Can you put hot things down on it without ruining it?

The laminate we have now is old and yucky......but I think the main reason some of it is bubbling is water damage. We had a bad leak problem for a while but it is fixed now.

But, I can put down a pan of boiling water on it and it doesn't damage it at all.

Dawn

Corian is certainly not the newest thing in countertops and I have already weighed in against it. I just wanted to add that we did put Laminate set in wood in our bathroom and laundry room this summer. It sparkles and shines and is quite gorgeous. We have had lots of postive comments about it. We have been told that laminate made today no longer has some ingredients that make it last as long as the stuff that was made 40 years ago. What I am saying is, if you put in laminate, it will be lovely for now and maybe by the time you are ready to sell the house you will be ready to do something different. Enjoy your house now and don't worry about selling it. :)

We put in granite almost a year ago. It's been great! (we got the labrador antique mentioned in a previous post)

As for the sealing, ours needs it every 15-20 years and it consists of spraying on sealer and wiping it off. I think sealing is blown way out of proportion, spray on wipe off in about 19 years...I can handle looking forward to that without dread.

Quartz is beautiful and what we were originally going for, but to us, granite is just prettier. If you like polished counters, the granite shine is deeper. and the depth of color in granite just can't be matched! And to get anything we liked at all, quartz was significantly more expensive.

Good luck and have fun!

I voted other because my vote would be for a concrete countertop. They look very cool and can be made for a fraction of the cost of granite. You can add cool stones, glass, shells, etc. to personalize it. You can add dye to color it how you would like. It is also a fun family project!

Can you point me to your laminate?

Can you put hot things down on it without ruining it?

The laminate we have now is old and yucky......but I think the main reason some of it is bubbling is water damage. We had a bad leak problem for a while but it is fixed now.

But, I can put down a pan of boiling water on it and it doesn't damage it at all.

Dawn

WilsonartHD ( as in Home Depot) No, you cannot put a pot of boiling water on it. The current laminate is missing whatever properties (Lead maybe? I can't remember) so you can't do that. However, I don't think I would ever have done that with my old laminate either!

I don't have this in my kitchen, just in my bath and laundry room. Our carpenter did the install and he did a fantastic job. I didn't put it in my kitchen as I felt the wood trim edges would get beat up over time. And yes, it is an older style of trim work, I realize that. However, I love it, I don't plan on selling any time soon. I compromised on laminate countertops so I could have more tile in the bathroom. :001_smile:

If you go to Home Depot website and search for Wilsonart HD you can find lots of pictures of kitchens, samples (They don't look as nice as they do in person), edge finishes etc. Mine is Crystalline Shell. There are levels of laminate as well. OUr's is the higher end ones. HD has lots and lots of samples pieces for you to take home and check it against your cabinets. I carried mine around for weeks while I chooseing tile and paint colors.

Yes, one thing to consider is the type of neighborhood you live in. Our home is in a rural area, so anything goes out here. We have blue collar and white collar workers alike, and a whole range of property types up and down the road we live on. But in an urban/suburban area, you'd definitely need to consider what would be expected in like homes if you think you'll be selling in a few years. (Even saying that, I'm an artist and enough of a rebel that I'm afraid I'd still just put whatever I want on my countertops anyway. :D)

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm a very visual person with an artistic flare. I did not see anything I loved the look of other than granite. I'm so glad we went with it. We are complimented on ours all the time. I love to just walk around and see it at different angles.

I'm told it can chip (didn't know this before we bought it) so we are careful with our cast iron.

Granite is regularly used in kitchens. I've been in homes where it's been there for decades and still looks brand new. I am very happy with our choice.

I agree! I love natural stones and patterns. Quartz/Silestone has none of that. To me, that just looks all the same for the same price as granite. We can't afford granite in the kitchen, but we were able to find a remnant we could afford for the master bathroom and I love it. I never tire of looking at it.

For the kitchen we used a Wilsonart HD formica and we are very happy with it. It's beautiful and it was much less expensive. I'm very happy with that choice as well. BUT your question did not involve cost restraints.... so I choose granite.

I would probably choose that black stuff laboratory tables are made of. I like to put hot pots right on the counter, plus I don't want anything that stains.
We actually have a laboratory table in our kitchen added on a bit higher to the end of our island.

It's wonderful. My husband even solders electronics on it! I put my hot pots and casseroles directly onto it. It does show some scratches from metal, but in over 3yrs we haven't done anything to it besides abuse it with a scrubby.:tongue_smilie:

I voted granite because I love my granite, and granite comes in many colors and patterns to choose from. I prefer something with a more solid - not so swirly - look, so I chose black with flecks of brown and grey.

I also like the look of recycled glass counter tops, but I don't know anyone who has one, so I can't comment on practicality or anything.