Menu

Do you spell it "dilemma" or "dilemna"

Do you spell it "dilemma" or "dilemna"  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you spell it "dilemma" or "dilemna"

• I spell it "dilemMa"
    • I spell it "dilemNa"
    • I used to spell it "dilemna", but have mended my ways and now it is "dilemma"
    • Neither - I don't have dilemmas

I don't know if I was taught it as dilemma or dilemna, but I can guarantee that I've read it as dilemna in books before. I had assumed it was an alternate spelling until I read about it on a forum a few years ago. I write it as dilemma.

Isn't it a funny looking word if you stare at it for a while?

Oops! Upstate NY public schools, 2003 graduate, 800 verbal score without knowing that lemma is a word! (Will they revoke it if they find out?)

Edited by beaners

Dilemma.

Age 43, public school, not catholic

How then, do these people spell the word "lemma"? I have never seen anybody spell that one wrong.

What does lemma mean? I've never heard that word. I guess I could look it up on the dictionary, but I'd rather someone just tell me (too tired).

I have never, ever seen nor heard it spelled with an "N". I didn't even realize it was an option, right or wrong. How interesting.

:iagree:

I have always spelled it "dilemma". I've never even heard of it spelled with an "n". I don't remember seeing it that way. I was born in 1967 and went to PS all the way through.

Exactly this. :iagree:....right down to the year you were born. Public school too.

Wisconsin. Not Catholic. :001_smile:

No, I understand about the children and it makes sense that they would just conclude that it is one of those crazy words, if that is the only form they see and if they are not taught Greek - but maybe their parents did question? Especially since the previous generation (of the children in Catholic schools) would have learned Greek and known that it cannot possibly be spelled with an N? Somebody would have raised a voice against it, sooner or later? How could it go for two decades without some sort of protest against it? I mean, how would it just start happening at once? It is confusing. :confused: I should research this more, I had no idea it was systematically happening once and it makes no sense so far as to WHY would one alter the spelling and why it would it not get noticed.

My parents never learned Greek in Catholic school and I'm sure my grandparents didn't either. They learned Latin (I guess because Mass was in Latin). My parents never saw me spell "dilemna", I'm sure. When would they have? It isn't a word you write often, and especially not in grade school. Once I was in high school (where I still wouldn't have written it often), they weren't looking over my shoulder to check all my work.

I'm also guessing plenty of people saw it spelled "dilemna" in books and noticed it was misspelled, but it would just be something you saw here and there and might not realize that all the children were somehow learning to spell it that way. I doubt anyone really noticed it was a problem. What I do wonder is if it was ever in a spelling book - "dilemna", because THAT seems like it would have raised a stink among the teachers, right?!

That's why I want someone to make a movie about this - to get to the bottom of it. Could be called "The Dilemna Dilemma"!

How odd. I wonder if it has something to do with the difficulty of reading two hand written "m"s in a row?

The OED does not have an entry for "dilemna"!

Google's nifty ngram viewer shows the word "dilemma" used in print roughly 100 times more frequently used than "dilemna" going back to about 1810. However, there are some significant uses in print, including an 1820 edition of "Tom Jones", so there is some history in the misuse of "dilemma". Interestingly, usage of "dilemna" seems to have grown after WWII, but peaked, and fallen off rapidly after about 1985. Perhaps the growth of automatic spell checkers has hastened the demise of "dilemna".

Edited by GGardner

dilemma

Public school in WV

Never knew there was controversy until this thread.

Wasn't there a similar controversy over a crayon labeled a weird color and a whole generation of people thinking pink was green, or something like that?

Edited by KungFuPanda

I'm also guessing plenty of people saw it spelled "dilemna" in books and noticed it was misspelled,

I've never seen it written with an "n" until this board today. Not in any book.... I'd notice a spelling error like that, as those are things I just notice...

Dilemma, I've never noticed it written with an n before.

Google's nifty ngram viewer shows the word "dilemma" used in print roughly 100 times more frequently used than "dilemna" going back to about 1810. However, there are some significant uses in print, including an 1820 edition of "Tom Jones", so there is some history in the misuse of "dilemma". Interestingly, usage of "dilemna" seems to have grown after WWII, but peaked, and fallen off rapidly after about 1985. Perhaps the growth of automatic spell checkers has hastened the demise of "dilemna".

That's really interesting.:001_smile:

Lemma is a word? I never heard it before.

I have always spelled and said dilemma with 2 ms. My dh, who did not attend Catholic school but is Catholic, has spelled and said it "dilemna" until eventually he asked me and I corrected him. :lol:

It's a mathematical thing (I looked it up. :D).

There are lots of words with silent letters in them.

Here are some common silent 'n' words:

Condemn

Hymn

Autumn

Solemn

Oops...can't use my first example on this forum.

But you pronounce the 'n' in hymnal, autumnal and condemnation.

And d@mnation, of course.

Edited by darlasowders

I spelled it dilemna until spell check started correcting me. I'm sure I was taught that way. I vaguely remember learning it had a silent n and was just one of those words we had to remember. I was in public school in the 80s and 90s and I'm usually a very good speller. I spell it dilemma now but it feels wrong, but not as wrong as that red line under my dilemna feels.

Interesting. I ALWAYS go to write it as "Dilemna" see it spelled wrong, fix it and then go :001_huh: I really thought it had an "n" in it. Very weird. I actually have always been pretty good at spelling, and I find this odd. I wonder if I was taught it at one time with an "n"? :confused:

30, private Christian school

42, public schooled in the NE