Menu

I just deleted about 250 people from my facebook

And please know if I deleted you, IT'S NOT PERSONAL! For quite a while, I have felt uneasy about having so many people on my friends list that I don't really know. I put a lot of info on facebook including pics of my kids, and with the new facebook, I just don't want all that "out there" if you know what I mean. So if I deleted you, and it hurt your feelings, please forgive me. But truly, it's not personal. I love you! :D

Wow, that's a lot of people!

I have very few facebook friends who I don't know in real life, and they're all people I currently have regular contact with (except for faraway family). My online friends on facebook are people I've known online for quite a while, so even though we might not have ever met in person, we know each other. I like it that way.

I once tried to delete my account. After two weeks of deactivation, it was supposed to be deleted if I did not log in during the two week period. A few months later, I checked only to find the account still existed.

If I deleted as many friends as you did, I would have none. In fact, I only keep account open now because that is way some people choose to contact me.

You can change your settings so that only your current profile picture is visible to all of Facebook. :)

I regularly go through and delete people from my FB friends' list. I also don't add people I haven't met in person, except for people I've known online for years and years. (Eventually I met some of those people in person as well.) I think my largest number of FB friends was 250! My sister, on the other hand, has 1000-plus FB friends - but she doesn't post much personal stuff on it.

Totally "get" it. I just put my friends into groups... and then decide which groups get to see (or don't get to see) what... of course, I'm a bit behind on putting my friends into their respective "boxes."

I've moved a bunch, so I have friends all over, from various stages of my life. I enjoy keeping up with them... if only in passing. Just yesterday, another old friend found me...we've been chatting the past couple of days.

I so :heart: my FB account.

How do you delete them easily? I have 300 friends, but want to delete about 200 of them, but hate the idea of doing it manually......

I have no idea how to do it easily. I had almost 600 facebook friends, and I actually deleted about 75 on Friday, then finished today. It took a looooooong time!

I did that a few months ago, when I started wondering why I felt I HAD to be friends with people I didn't know anymore, just because we went to school together. So I kept the ones I wanted and moved the majority of my family to a restricted list. I feel better now.

How do you delete them easily? I have 300 friends, but want to delete about 200 of them, but hate the idea of doing it manually......

My dh had a bunch of people he wanted to delete. He deletes people as their birthdays come up. So that way he can do it a little bit at a time.

Well, now I'm super offended I wasn't even on the list to be deleted!!!!!

;)

Me too! I want to be deleted! :tongue_smilie:

My dh had a bunch of people he wanted to delete. He deletes people as their birthdays come up. So that way he can do it a little bit at a time.

LOL! Happy Birthday!

This is quite funny and a cool way of doing it. :D

Nakia, feel free to delete me if you wish. I won't be offended. Love you anyway. :grouphug:

I've often wondered about this. :confused:

Dh's belief is to be friends with whoever asks and to not remove anyone from my friends list, unless if they're personally offensive.

I do hide several people from my News Feed since they post endlessly.

I don't post very often on FB, and seldom personal stuff.

On the one hand, I would love to be very selective and have fewer than 100 friends on FB - just some very good online friends and mostly IRL friends and family that I like very much. I'm very selective IRL, but not as much on FB. :confused:

I'm undecided as to what to do. I don't want to offend anyone.

I have unfriended 3 people recently who were really horrible to me IRL and really and truly hurt my feelings.

I have my fb contacts in different groups. They're categorized in ever-decreasing circles of contact, until we get to immediate family. And then I use my posting settings to limit who sees what. I've been exceptionally lucky in my time online to not have as much info available on me & mine as you'd think in this 'connected' era. It *really* helps to have several people within 500km that have the same name as myself % :)

One does what one must to protect you & yours!!!! :)

%Yes, I *do* google myself on a regular basis to see what is available on me & my family. It is a good security check.

Edited by macpuffins
added footnote

This is quite funny and a cool way of doing it. :D

Nakia, feel free to delete me if you wish. I won't be offended. Love you anyway. :grouphug:

I've often wondered about this. :confused:

Dh's belief is to be friends with whoever asks and to not remove anyone from my friends list, unless if they're personally offensive.

I do hide several people from my News Feed since they post endlessly.

I don't post very often on FB, and seldom personal stuff.

On the one hand, I would love to be very selective and have fewer than 100 friends on FB - just some very good online friends and mostly IRL friends and family that I like very much. I'm very selective IRL, but not as much on FB. :confused:

I'm undecided as to what to do. I don't want to offend anyone.

I have unfriended 3 people recently who were really horrible to me IRL and really and truly hurt my feelings.

Re: the bolded, that's what I used to think too, which is how I ended up with almost 600 friends. :D I used to be on a couple of other forums, and I had "friends" from there along with a bunch of people I went to school with that I don't even know any longer.

I do truly have friends here, and for that, I am thankful!! But I really feel like I should have a very limited facebook friend list from here on out. I'm down to just over 300 now, and more are coming off this evening.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

I think you're doing the right thing. My concern with "friending" people I don't know that well is that although I make all my photos and info private, there's nothing stopping someone who has access to one of my photos from reposting (or sharing) on their page, which means a whole new bunch of people have access to it. If I'm wrong, please correct me (and set my mind at ease!)

I think you're doing the right thing. My concern with "friending" people I don't know that well is that although I make all my photos and info private, there's nothing stopping someone who has access to one of my photos from reposting (or sharing) on their page, which means a whole new bunch of people have access to it. If I'm wrong, please correct me (and set my mind at ease!)

I just checked this by going to a random friend's photo album and clicking on a photo. I do not have an option to share it - I can only download it or report it. You can reshare links that others have posted, but the only thing that transfers to yours automatically is the link itself - not the description. I believe those photos that are reshared are ones which are *public* or friends-of-friends on the original Facebooks. HTH!

I have been thinking of cutting back to just family lately. I only have 40 on my list, and there are still people I don't ever communicate with.

I did have 41 until today. ;)

It's all good, Nakia. :)

You should totally come over to G+ though, it's less personal--or seems so to me. I have lots of total strangers circled, and it's kind of like one big forum with many topics being discussed along with the occasional personal update. It's nothing like facebook IMO. People post way more interesting stuff there.

Oh, and the photography community there would blow you away.

I'm transitioning off completely. My only "friends" remaining are family and a group of IRL friends who make social plans on FB, and my profile can no longer be found through search. Each day I delete a few more posts, and the account will be closed when they're finally gone. I've been dissatisfied with FB for a long while, but Time Line/OpenGraphs was the proverbial straw for me. Frictionless sharing is not for me.

I just checked this by going to a random friend's photo album and clicking on a photo. I do not have an option to share it - I can only download it or report it. You can reshare links that others have posted, but the only thing that transfers to yours automatically is the link itself - not the description. I believe those photos that are reshared are ones which are *public* or friends-of-friends on the original Facebooks. HTH!

Thank you! I tried it with a random friend too, but her settings must not be as tight because I could have shared her photos. I am relieved :)

I also just recently purged my friends list. I only had about 26 friends, mostly old classmates and extended family. But I don't post much nor did most of the extended family. So I made the decision to just keep immediate family that I actually like to talk to. I now have only 7 friends. :D and that may go down some more.

I do truly have friends here, and for that, I am thankful!! But I really feel like I should have a very limited facebook friend list from here on out. I'm down to just over 300 now, and more are coming off this evening.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

:grouphug:

I might start a poll or another thread soon to ask about this. I would love to declutter my friends list. :) But then again, I really don't want to offend some. :confused:

I have very few facebook friends who I don't know in real life, and they're all people I currently have regular contact with (except for faraway family). My online friends on facebook are people I've known online for quite a while, so even though we might not have ever met in person, we know each other. I like it that way.

This is what I want to do. All of this. :)

I think I have the lowest number of friends on my facebook. 90% are just family because we are military and its hard to keep up via snail mail. I personally know just about everyone on my FB page. A few I don't but they are family friends who are gonna learn about what we do anyways so they might as well hear it straight from us.

I'm transitioning off completely. My only "friends" remaining are family and a group of IRL friends who make social plans on FB, and my profile can no longer be found through search. Each day I delete a few more posts, and the account will be closed when they're finally gone. I've been dissatisfied with FB for a long while, but Time Line/OpenGraphs was the proverbial straw for me. Frictionless sharing is not for me.

That's actually a good idea. I have wiped out everything from the time I joined (09) to about a year ago. Still deleting.

A couple of weeks ago, I went in and purged photo albums quite a lot.

ETA: I will not be cutting back to just family though. Some of my online friends I've known for years and years are people I talk to more than family. If they are meaningful to me, and I enjoy their updates, they stay. No friend collectors & silly application addicts. I didn't join FB to play games.

Edited by darlasowders

Actually a person can save your picture to their hard drive then post it back on their own wall or send it in a msg to one of their friends...I know this because its what my MIL did (she did ask first). Basically, once we post those pictures they are no longer ours. I think FB only gives the illusion of privacy. I still love having it, but I too keep a very small friend list and did a major cleaning of the friend list about a year ago.

Actually a person can save your picture to their hard drive then post it back on their own wall or send it in a msg to one of their friends...I know this because its what my MIL did (she did ask first). Basically, once we post those pictures they are no longer ours. I think FB only gives the illusion of privacy. I still love having it, but I too keep a very small friend list and did a major cleaning of the friend list about a year ago.

:001_huh: I don't think anyone really thinks FB is private. You can do that with images pretty much anywhere.

I've been online about 12 years, and never posted anything (ever, anywhere) anyone would bother doing anything nefarious with in the first place. (They'd have some serious photoshop work to do in order to turn a pic of my kids building a chicken run, painting a bookshelf, or washing the car into something nasty.)

Also, I've always kept the photo settings at FB to friends only.

If I leave facebook, I just don't want to leave a bunch of albums behind.

No worries. You unfriended me a long time ago. :lol: (We were on another board together.)

See, that's part of my problem. I had tons of people on my friends list that I didn't even know where they came from or how I "knew" them. I'm assuming I knew you from FIAR because that's the only other homeschool forum I've really been active on. But I truly don't know your real name, and I'm sure that's why I deleted you.

I totally get it. I have less than 10 friends on my account. If you aren't family, and sane, you aren't friend-ed. :tongue_smilie:

The exception is one friend who I've known so long she is family.

I only use it when DBIL is deployed, and delete everything when he comes home and I deactivate my account.