Menu

Why do so many kids have big guts these days?

Well, as a country... Refined foods instead of fresh foods (it's easy to eat excessive calories when it's white flour, high fructose corn syrup, fats [hydrogenated or otherwise], etc, etc -- it's much more difficult to overeat calorically on fresh fruits and vegetables), and lack of self-directed physical activity.

I just am constantly noticing how big guts are on all ages of kids these days. What is causing this?

Anyone else notice it or have a child that struggles with it?

I wondered the same thing and asked our former school nurse. She said it was all the above mentioned AND huge portion sizes. I observed most kids' lunches and was shocked at what mom thought was a reasonable serving size--at least 50% more than a child should be consuming unless he's an athlete or going through massive growth spurt.

Four of my five are very thin and athletes, and one who immensely enjoys food and sedentary lifestyle. It's always been a challenge for her seeing how much her siblings eat and she can't w/o gaining the big gut you mentioned.

The most bizarre trend I've noticed is the super fit parents with the chunky kids. What gives with that? Clearly the parents understand fitness and good, healthy eating but are allowing their children to do otherwise. Is that a local, regional, or national trend?

Yes, I have two overweight children and am absolutely flummoxed on how to make it better. It's nearly impossible to find information on how many calories a child should have a day. I even made a specific appointment with our pediatrician to discuss this as my dd10 is often in tears due to her weight. The doctor's advice: no more diet soda, drink lots of water and eat as miuch fruit, veggies and lean meat as you want. When I tried to peg him down on a specific nutritional plan, he said they don't do that anymore because of the possibility of eating disorders. He said the best advice he had was to have the children maintain their present weight and in the next couple of years their physical growth will spread that weight out to a more healthy body.

My friend and I went to Barnes and Noble recently trying to find a book that talks about nutrion for kids. The staff couldn't help. They found cookbooks for kids that includes supposedly kid-friendly recipes, but no book that talks about what kind of nutritional plan we should be aiming for. I did find special diet books like gluten free/casein free stuff, but that's not a lifestyle I want in my home. I've given up really.

I've been reading about this for a few months. It seems as though the culprit is the same for obesity as it is for heart disease, diabetes & maybe even arthritis:

High fructose corn syrup (in most processed foods)

Industrial Oils (those yellow oils that the stores sell, plus soy, etc.) & margarine

Refined Sugar

Too many calories

Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables

Lack of healthy fats (butter, cream, coconut oil, lard, & the fat from grass-fed animals, moderate amounts of olive oil)

Lack of activity.

And even lack of adequate amounts of sleep--this can cause weight gain, specifically in the stomach/abdomen, at least that is what I have heard.

It has been food for thought for me for the past few months, that is for sure.

Yes, I have two overweight children and am absolutely flummoxed on how to make it better. It's nearly impossible to find information on how many calories a child should have a day. I even made a specific appointment with our pediatrician to discuss this as my dd10 is often in tears due to her weight. The doctor's advice: no more diet soda, drink lots of water and eat as miuch fruit, veggies and lean meat as you want. When I tried to peg him down on a specific nutritional plan, he said they don't do that anymore because of the possibility of eating disorders. He said the best advice he had was to have the children maintain their present weight and in the next couple of years their physical growth will spread that weight out to a more healthy body.

My friend and I went to Barnes and Noble recently trying to find a book that talks about nutrion for kids. The staff couldn't help. They found cookbooks for kids that includes supposedly kid-friendly recipes, but no book that talks about what kind of nutritional plan we should be aiming for. I did find special diet books like gluten free/casein free stuff, but that's not a lifestyle I want in my home. I've given up really.

I think that Weight Watchers has a plan for kids (at least they used to) and the thing I love about WW is that it is all about making healthy choices and portion sizes, and not about forbidding anything.

I think culturally it is hard, because everywhere you go, kids get a snack. I don't ever remember getting snacks at things when I was a kid. When I was a kid we got orange slices after a soccer game. Now, parents outdo themselves to bring yummy (unhealthy) snacks and "juice" boxes (all sugar). They get snacks at church, snacks at their activities, etc... It is no wonder our kids tend to be overweight. My kids have their father's body (very thin) and not mine (I have to work hard to not gain weight) but they don't eat a ton either.

II think culturally it is hard, because everywhere you go, kids get a snack. I don't ever remember getting snacks at things when I was a kid. When I was a kid we got orange slices after a soccer game. Now, parents outdo themselves to bring yummy (unhealthy) snacks and "juice" boxes (all sugar). They get snacks at church, snacks at their activities, etc... It is no wonder our kids tend to be overweight. My kids have their father's body (very thin) and not mine (I have to work hard to not gain weight) but they don't eat a ton either.

Yes!!! This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. After EVERY event kids are fed these junk foods that I refuse to have in my house. Most of the Little League parents here think that their kids need Gatorade so as not to dehydrate during a baseball game. Grrrr . . . . Plus, my boys each receive a $2 ticket after each game to spend at the concession stand. It's full of candy and pizza and hot dogs and soda. This year they did add juices (100% fruit!). My kids are forbidden from buying candy/soda except on Saturdays where they can get one candy item. But I'm not happy about the hot dogs and pizza either!

That said, I have one child who tends to be "thicker" in the middle. He's not fat (he doesn't need husky pants or anything), but just built much differently than the rest of his siblings who are rail thin. Interestingly enough, he's also the one who is the most active. So, I do think that genetics plays a role sometimes as well.

When we lived in the USA, my son was considered underweight by the kiddie weight charts and we got a lot of grief about it.

Same here. My kids are still underweight according to the charts. So, what I hear is, they need more fats, how about give them milkshakes, don't feel bad about giving them fries. So, let's create bad eating habits so when they get older and their metabolisms are different, it might contribute to being overweight ..... This always make me go hmmmm.....

The obesity rates in children are actually finally going down.

I have a child that has a low metabolism. She had a gut. My answer has been to keep her in sports and homeschool pe. I also talked to her about her metabolism. Her busy brothers and tall younger sister can EAT and not gain a pound. She is different. It's not fair but that's her reality. She is extremely healthy now. She stops eating when she's satisfied and doesn't overeat anymore. I think the exercise really helped her regulate her eating, too. She is at her ideal weight now and it wasn't through losing pounds but waiting for her growth to catch up to her weight.

I think the answer is to nip it in the bud at the beginning. Letting weight get out of control is very overwhelming and depressing for kids and adults. It is hard to lose weight.

As homeschoolers we have seen curriculum for just about every aspect of our childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s education. Has anybody seen a physical education/nutrition program? Kind of makes you wonder about our priorities.

The closest I've seen is the "Bread Beckers" at FPEA a few years ago.

For my kids it's weird. I have 2 that are sticks and one that has a gut. They are all fed the same thing. They are all on teams of some variety. The one with a gut is one who will actually go outside and not complain, when I tell her to. She doesn't often do it by herself though. She has always been big though. In the 90% of height and weight. But my other 2 have been as well. It's hard to figure out how to help one not gain when the other 2 don't have the same problems.

There is no white sugar or white flour or even white rice in the house. These are all things they get away from home though. When we eat out, it's not fast food. It's sandwich places. We do buy ice cream. Computer time and tv time are both limited to under an hour a day during the summer. Less during the school year. I think one problem my kids have is they sit and read. ("No dear, you can't read today." Can you imagine?) Although it is brain candy. :tongue_smilie: Maybe I should get them onto better reading material and it will help? :001_cool:

I think even more than the fast food (all that corn syrup & salt) is the fact kids no longer walk anywhere. No one is ever seen playing in our neighborhood. No bikes, skateboards, few if any swing sets. Even at the pool, most of the kids just like jumping off the diving board, and shun any games that involve too much swimming. The US is a nation of couch potatoes. Maybe the energy crisis will get us moving again, physically?

All my kids are thin except my 16 yo who has struggled with his weight since toddlerhood. He can eat the same foods as the others and gain so I feel for him. He has been trying to lose and get outside more which is working and he has dropped 30#s in the last 2 months.

My 19 yo eats her own food and doesn't eat what we prepare and just started gaining weight, which is sad but thats a whole nother post lol

I have one petite, long-legged daughter; one built-like-a-tree-trunk son (that way from birth) and one preemie-now-preteen who took so many steroids for asthma for seven years that he was overweight to obese by CDC standards.

The asthmatic's asthma and allergies are finally under control and he doesn't need steroids any longer, so he's slimming down. He also has more energy now that he's not on steroids and has good lung function, so he's on his bike, batting a ball, digging in the dirt and doing all the things he couldn't before. He's at camp this week, having the time of his life, which is something we would never have considered at earlier points.

Food allergies are an issue lately, but organics and cutting back on processed foods (by necessity) are helping, as is getting the little ones' environmental allergies under control. We avoid trans fats and HFCS, but we do allow treats like ice cream and a little candy now and then. Friday nights are our pizza/soda/candy/movie nights, but they don't get much at other times. We drink a lot of water, but also some lemonade and tea sweetened with stevia.

I have felt very frustrated and discouraged in the past about my son's weight. He didn't eat more junk than other kids; he didn't sit in front of a TV or video game all day. And yet, if a bunch of his cousins or friends or baseball teammates or whatever went to grab a cupcake and he followed suit, nasty comments sometimes ensued. Even well-meaning people would say something like, "Oh, YOU don't want to eat that!" -- singling him out among the crowd as the fat kid.

Mercy. That turned into a rant. Sorry.

Anyway, I can't speak for everyone else's children, just my own. I don't know why other people's children are fat, just why my child was fat. We've persevered, talking to all the children about healthy food choices, taking them grocery shopping, involving them in meal prep, encouraging lots of unstructured exercise and trying new healthy foods often. Hopefully that will build good habits and keep them fit.

How old is your dd, Cheryl? I have 2 skinnies, 1 who I need to make sure doesn't lose weight, and my low-metabolism girl that is finally at her ideal weight.

Yeah, it's hard. My dd is 11 and it's taken a lot of gentle talking with her over the last couple of years. She was born tubby and was a hefty toddler. Her body is predispositioned to being rounder and so she has to eat right so she won't be an overweight preteen/teen.

I keep her very active and all her sibs active, too. I just keep it a high priority like math here. We talk about eating right for a low metabolism and how she's loving whatever sports/pe program she's in. She has some American Girl books/magazines that talk about it as well.

She knows I have to make sure her younger brother eats enough because of his meds and high-metabolism. While she can eat half what the other's eat regularly. Like I said it takes a lot of communication. I try to make sure she gets plenty of mom time, too. Instead of using food to fill herself up I encourage her to turn to me for nurturing or her girlfriends for some girl talk, read a book, etc.

It's not easy but it is important to remain vigilant in the face of our children's health. Some kids have learning issues or other medical issues other kids have low metabolisms. It stinks but I do believe that not giving up can make a big difference in all their lives. :)

Maybe the energy crisis will get us moving again, physically?

I hope so! It certainly seems like some of us have parked our cars around here. Lots of bikes in the neighborhood, lots of activity at the local skate park, lots of skateboards and scooters on the city's sidewalks. I'd LOVE to have a safe bike route into town, or at least sidewalks from out this way. It's five miles to the center of town and everything we'd need in terms of shopping and the library would be easily reached. A 10-mile walk would be great exercise!

She's my 11 yo. We try so hard to make it a non-issue here. I don't want her to think that I htink she's big. I did notice dh telling her the other night not to take more - food tasting good is no a reason to eat more, hunger is. DH has been bigger his whole life so he's more in tune with what is needed. I try to be nutricious.

I have to laugh at my mom. She says that dd inherited these "non-thin" genes from dh's family. I think "uh, have you looked at yourself lately? What about your sister? What about the Pugh side uncles?" Yes dh, MIL and FIL are all overwieght, but there are several on my side that are as well.

Thanks for understanding.

I think it has already been brought up but there are medical reason why some kids are fat and it has nothing to do with what they eat but with drugs that are saving their lives. My boys were both on steroids for an autoimmune disorder (LKS) for several years. They took high levels of Prednisone, one son has lost all the weight he gained and the other has just maintained the weight. Steroid use for many illnesses in childhood is up, asthma being probably the chief reason but they are used to treat all kinds of autoimmune disorders and cancer. I can agree that diet and exercise are issues but so are a lot of medical treatments that are saving lives. Just thought I would throw this out there so that any judgements coming against over weight kids and their parents are tempered a bit.

When I was a kid we got orange slices after a soccer game. Now, parents outdo themselves to bring yummy (unhealthy) snacks and "juice" boxes (all sugar). They get snacks at church, snacks at their activities, etc... It is no wonder our kids tend to be overweight.

My husband coached soccer this past fall and we made it abundantly clear that junkie snacks were not an option. Orange slices at half-time and for after the game veggies, cheese sticks, fruit and water. Amazingly only one parent "forgot" the guidelines we gave them.

I can agree that diet and exercise are issues but so are a lot of medical treatments that are saving lives. Just thought I would throw this out there so that any judgements coming against over weight kids and their parents and tempered a bit.

Thank you for writing this. I'd much rather have my son alive and overweight than thin and dead.

There's a great rule of thumb that they use in the UK. Children should have at least two portions of veg/fruit in each meal. How big is a portion of fruit/veg? As big as the child's fist. The fist grows with the child and it really helps me to envisage what my boys should be eating. I start by planning the fruit/veg for the meal, then fill in with small quantities of protein and whole-grain starch.

This page gives amounts for different ages:

http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/food/pyramid.html

And this page allows you to work out more detailed plans:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

Best wishes

Laura

NightElf- Dr. Sears has a book about nutrition for kids. Not sure if it has the type of information you are looking for, but there is a table of contents preview on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Healthiest-Kid-Neighborhood-Nutritional-Parenting/dp/B0015UXNLW/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212595431&sr=8-9

I have the book. My problem is getting my kids and hubby on board with the suggestions.

Jan

I think even more than the fast food (all that corn syrup & salt) is the fact kids no longer walk anywhere. No one is ever seen playing in our neighborhood. No bikes, skateboards, few if any swing sets. Even at the pool, most of the kids just like jumping off the diving board, and shun any games that involve too much swimming. The US is a nation of couch potatoes. Maybe the energy crisis will get us moving again, physically?

But even if they are jumping off the diving board they have to climb to the diving board, jump in the water, swim to the side and climb out. It is physical activity.

Hmmm...I think we have two separate issues going on in this thread.

One is a generalized, societal overweight problem.

Two is a case specific problem.

Does this make sense? On the whole, I think we have a societal weight problem because of the industrial diet and inactive way of life for most people.

Specifically, however, lots of adults and children carry weight because of particular medical reasons, not necessarily related to diet or activity.

The two are different I think. kwim? The generalized reasons simply don't fit every instance.

It's not only their guts. They are "soft" and lack muscle tone. Dh and I talk about this often.

This is from a sedentary life spent indoors along w/ a crappy diet. Many of them are probably constipated, too, which can cause a distended abdominal area.

Video games, wide availability of cable t.v., crappy food...all w/o limits or moderation=sloppy, soft, big gut.

Blessings,

Camy (who has a bunch of wirey, muscular machines in the family)

It's not only their guts. They are "soft" and lack muscle tone. Dh and I talk about this often.

This is from a sedentary life spent indoors along w/ a crappy diet. Many of them are probably constipated, too, which can cause a distended abdominal area.

Video games, wide availability of cable t.v., crappy food...all w/o limits or moderation=sloppy, soft, big gut.

Blessings,

Camy (who has a bunch of wiry, muscular machines in the family)

Again lack of muscle tone can because by medical conditions. Don't over generalize this. The autoimmune disorder that my kids had caused Hypotonia due to seizure activity, along with problems when it comes to motor skill planning. You are very blessed with healthy kids please don't over generalize from your blessing.

All the things you posted are problems but not every kid falls in to the we only eat junk food and sit around category. Some have health needs that you may or may not know about that are the underlying cause of low muscle tone, being over weight, and what looks like a sedentary life style.

Sadly, I think a lot of it is b/c adults are shelling out the goodies at an alarming rate. I just posted on another thread where my ds gets at least 2 full-size candy bars as prizes at church every week. When I was a child, candy bars were an ocassional treat, maybe a couple times a year.

I hate to sound like a crotchety old person, but when I was in high school, back in the 1980s, our school had one soda machine. It was only turned on for extra-curricular events. The student store wasn't allowed to sell candy bars.

20 years later, the schools have contracts with Pepsi and Coke and have vending machines accessible like water fountains. That means *my* generation, saw value in allowing this access and said it was good. Yuck!

Btw, I've noticed at our church, it's the adults who are handing out the junk food like crazy, some of them are 10-20 years older than me. I can't figure that one out.

I guess this is a soapbox rant of mine. But I think the problem lies squarely with the parents of this generation.

My oldest ds struggles with maintaining an appropriate weight. It's hard for me to teach him self-control and healthy portions, when all around him is excess and the encouragement to indulge to excess, even at church. Ugh!

(Disclaimer: I am speaking of the kids who are fed junk and get no activity, not about the kids who, for some other reason struggle with this.)

Muscle tone is very individual. Both my sons exercise for an hour a day, including running, stretching, weights, martial arts, swimming....

Hobbes has strong stomach muscles - you can feel a dense wall of muscle. Calvin has almost no muscle that you can feel. Both are slim. Calvin just doesn't naturally build muscle.

Best wishes

Laura

Hi Beth! Several years ago I got a book from the library on healthy eating for kids because my 2nd dd was a plump little thing and lived on carbs (think Bread and Jam for Francis storybook). I can not remember the name of the book -- it might have been Sugar Busters for Kids. The thing I remember from the book was add ONE low carb item at a time to a snack/meal: raw almonds, green veggie, plain chicken slice, hard boiled egg, etc.

I do not believe that I am overgeneralizing this at all.

I am so sorry for your sons' conditions, and I would not include them in the average soft kid description. It is not my intention to claim that every soft kid is that way because of what I mentioned. However, I do believe that your situation is the exception to the rule.

I am sorry that I touched a nerve w/ you, Rebecca. It was not intended at all. Please forgive any tone that was communicated in my reply. It was certainly not intended.

Again, please forgive me.

Blessings,

Camy

I agree, Laura. However, my description of a soft kid likely doesn't include your children. It is certain that they do no appear as I have described.

It is more than lack of muscle tone that a soft kid displays. There's a certain mystique that seems common.

I'm not talking the "cut and ripped" look when it comes to muscle tone, but the general energy and radiance lacking in those who spend the majority of their time indoors w/o any sunshine and exercise. Kwim?

I bet your kids' eyes shine and they carry themselves confidently, Laura.

Blessings,

Camy

I do not believe that I am overgeneralizing this at all.

I am so sorry for your sons' conditions, and I would not include them in the average soft kid description. It is not my intention to claim that every soft kid is that way because of what I mentioned. However, I do believe that your situation is the exception to the rule.

I am sorry that I touched a nerve w/ you, Rebecca. It was not intended at all. Please forgive any tone that was communicated in my reply. It was certainly not intended.

Again, please forgive me.

Blessings,

Camy

Hey Cami, there is nothing to forgive :) and ya I know that my kids are the exception but a lot of kids have seizure disorders and this is usually part and parcel with those kinds of problems, low muscle tone. I just hate seeing things over generalized. I do understand that there is a problem in the industrilized world with weight for every one but I am just speaking up for the exceptions which might be larger (no pun intended ;) ) than people think.

Bad diets make sugar bellies (big guts). A sugar belly can happen at any age (our kids are not immune). Just as adults need to limit their sugar gram intake to 30 - 60 grams per day, kids also need to cut back on their intake.

High protein diets work not so much that they are protein - rather, because they naturally cut out sugars. Most people can eat anything and lose or maintain weight as long as they keep their sugar gram level within a low range. Exercise helps too - in boosting the ability to utilize sugars in an efficient manner.

The most bizarre trend I've noticed is the super fit parents with the chunky kids. What gives with that? Clearly the parents understand fitness and good, healthy eating but are allowing their children to do otherwise. Is that a local, regional, or national trend?

I have noticed this as well....and it seems that, at least in a few cases I know of, that both parents work and then, instead of coming home and making a healthy dinner they either order a pizza or stop for fast food so they can get some "me" time at the gym. Not saying that is always the case...but I know for a fact it is sometimes.