Menu

Good Will Hunting, Movie.- Didja like it?

Me & the kid watched it together (yes..I covered her eyes up at appropriate moments).

Now we have this whole new slang we are throwing around..

"Hey, yo...checkkit owt (w/boston accent)- it's another pony-tail boy.."

She wanted to stop math a minute ago..I said..."Oh sure, you don't wanna go skiing, you wanna serve fries instead, right?"

"Oh please Mother. Come up with something just a little more original would you? Where'd you read that one? Page 98 or sum-tan?"

lol, great flick

I totally absolutely lost my mind went crazy bawling when he said those dreaded words:

"No. No! I don't love you."

:crying:

Took me ten minutes to recover and hit "play" again.

Kid thought that was hysterical, roared with laughter at my sobbing...man was that a moment.

I'd love to understand your perspective on this (as I know very little about profound giftedness). Of course, I liked Little Man Tate as well:001_smile:

Lisa

It's been forever since I've seen the movie, but I had a strong "whoever wrote this was clueless about pg kids" reaction to it at the time. I can't remember the details of why, I just remember the very strong reaction. Haven't seen LMT - should have cut that part out when I quoted Elizabeth.

It's been forever since I've seen the movie, but I had a strong "whoever wrote this was clueless about pg kids" reaction to it at the time.

I never got the feeling that it was about PG kids. It was about one man, his particular brand of giftedness and the choices he needed to make to break out of a difficult situation.

I can see, if one were to look at the film as a statement about profound giftedness, how one would feel as if it were all wrong. I just don't think that giftedness is the particular situation that they were trying to highlight.

How do ya like them apples.

We say that all the time around here. The little kids know what movie it comes from even though they have never seen it. I think it's a fantastic movie.

I hated it. That film has done more damage to the public understanding of profound giftedness than the other abysmal film Little Man Tate.

I don't see it as a movie about profound giftedeness. I see it as a movie about an abused child with an attachment disorder. As I have one of those living in my home, I guess it colors my perspective. But as far as what attachment disorders can do, I see it as a realistic (if not necessarily realistic about the sentimental outcome) portrayal of a destroyed life.

Tara

I hated it. It's pretentious, plodding and predictable.

Yeah, that pretty much summed it up for me. Except that I also found the faculty to be way over the top unrealistic. And I was having trouble believing that the main character actually was brilliant. They didn't really prove it to me.

Also, I was expecting to see some challenging math problems. (Apparently this is not why other people go to the movies, though.)

I didn't even notice the language.

http://talentdevelop.com/articles/sosmart.html

This is a start to the range of ick I felt while watching the movie. Even more than the mandate that if one is profoundly gifted one must also be psychologically a hot mess, I hated the classism in the film. Thank goodness the white educated professors saved the poor white trailer trash from a life of obscurity. It was for me without any redeeming value. Little Man Tate was no different. This attitude has permeated the culture of educational teaching methods in the college and uni settings and has on more than one occasion, prompted me to demand a diploma and certification of psychology or an Masters of Social Work. They did not have either although they feigned to have knowledge and experience sufficient to "diagnose" why dd was bored to tears... In the end a qualified psychiatrist figured out what was wrong. Nothing. She simply needed real challenge that could not come from elementary school.

Thank goodness the white educated professors saved the poor white trailer trash from a life of obscurity.

That's not at all what I got from the movie. The main character rejected what those "white educated professors" were trying to do to him and chose his own path.

I'll repeat what I stated above: I see this movie primarily about an abused kid, not about a genius. To me the "wicked smaht" stuff is tangential to the fact that he was horribly abused, and that's what he had to overcome, not being mathematically gifted.

Tara

To me the "wicked smaht" stuff is tangential to the fact that he was horribly abused, and that's what he had to overcome, not being mathematically gifted.
I can see that point of view. In my view the movie's nothing more than a poorly written double-threat exploitation movie: tear-jerker abuse victim + tormented genius. Utter cr** in my book.

I can see that point of view. In my view the movie's nothing more than a poorly written double-threat exploitation movie: tear-jerker abuse victim + tormented genius. Utter cr** in my book.

Yeah, I dunno. I guess because I have a child living in my home who has attachment issues like the main character of the movie, I don't see it as exploitative or crappy. I see it as illustrative of what my dd has had to do ... decide to let go of the past and move forward toward having a normal (not remarkable, exciting, flashy, etc., just normal) life. Several years of intensive therapy have gotten on her on that road, but it's going to be a continuing journey for her. She had to choose to let go of her fear, anger, and sadness. I see the same thing in Will, and I saw the same struggle between staying with what's comfortable, if dysfunctional, and taking a risk to try a new way.

FWIW, my attachment-disordered daughter liked the movie and claims she saw parallels between her feelings and Will's. I wouldn't let her watch the movie for several years because I didn't think she would be able to handle it. She was 17 when she saw it, despite wanting to watch it at 13.

Tara

That's interesting. When I first saw the movie, I think my dislike of it was based on the high-intelligence stuff, and I just saw the abuse angle as extra exploitation thrown in for good measure. :) I came from a highly dysfunctional family, but don't have any actual parallel experience to relate to the movie. If it's actually accurate in that regard, I guess that's something.