Menu

Did you see this about Johnson's Baby Shampoo??

This might be old news....but I hadn't heard of it (but my baby is 8 years old now). I never bought this kind of shampoo for my kids. But...I know my mom had it in the house when we were kids. What I don't get is that the company keeps saying they are working on "reducing or gradually phasing" the harmful chemicals out....but...this has been going on for 2.5 years. :confused: How long does it really take?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trace amounts of potentially cancer causing chemicals?

Yeah I wouldn't be in a rush to pour my bottle down the drain, sorry.

I know that there a lot of ingredients in things that we are probably all ignorant about (ignorant as in not knowing). But....when you *know* there are cancer-causing chemicals in a baby shampoo.......well, I don't get how you wouldn't care. People with this shampoo pour this on the head of their baby....they probably use it as a body wash.....it's in the bathwater the baby is sitting in..... This product is known for it's "no more tears", sooo.....big deal if a little gets in the eye...... I guess I'm a little surprised that you would just keep using it (assuming you have some). :001_huh: To me....I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in the trash and buy a natural shampoo for my baby that doesn't have chemicals in it. I wouldn't care about wasting a couple of bucks. I think it's terrible that these companies knowingly put this junk in products that are used on babies.

Your comment kind of made me think of the glass of water with a drop of poison. Oh....no big deal....it's just a drop. :confused:

Edited by ~AprilMay~

It really bothers me because my husband almost died in middle school when they disected a frog in biology. He is deathly allergic to formaldhyde, was hospitalized and missed 2 months of school. To find out that it is in baby shampoo is crazy. I am also concerned that they know it is in there, have made the shampoo without it, and haven't gotten rid of it in all of their products. We used nothing but their Lavender Baby shampoo until the kids were older, and I am really glad we never used that one.

Can't find my 10 foot pole today. I am stepping away from the computer.

OK...what the heck does that mean?? What is this....gang up on ~AprilMay~ day???? What does this mean?? That I shouldn't have posted that on the Today show they talked about cancer causing chemicals in Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo??? Sheessshhhh...I really thought people would appreciate knowing. If I had it in my bathroom for my baby I would want to know. I guess I'm just different like that.

OK....I can see I'm sorry I even posted about this.

Know about it and still use it? :confused:

I believe most shampoos contain suspected carcinogens....(I think this may be what the pp was trying to say or point to). There are also carcinogens in many things around us that we use everyday and don't think about. Some have the luxury of affording and being able to find things that don't have them in them and others can only afford what is cheapest on the shelves.

Thank you for posting! We don't use J&J products. I'm sure the organic stuff we use may one day be declared unsafe, too. Even the water we use to rinse it all off us has traces of dangerous stuff. I try to avoid all the crap, but it takes a lot of time and effort.

List of stuff we avoid (with a ton of exceptions): foreign products, lead, BPA, dyes, preservatives, plastic...it is exhausting!

I appreciate little reminders like this.

Thank you!

I believe most shampoos contain suspected carcinogens....(I think this may be what the pp was trying to say or point to). There are also carcinogens in many things around us that we use everyday and don't think about. Some have the luxury of affording and being able to find things that don't have them in them and others can only afford what is cheapest on the shelves.

As I said in a previous post...I know there's stuff in probably everything that we don't know about. I guess I don't get knowing and not caring.... Thanks for trying to help, but I don't buy the luxury of affording vs the cheapest on the shelf. I'm sure there are other baby shampoos that won't break the bank that don't contain quaternium-15 and dioxane. Maybe for some people it's too much of an inconvenience to read labels.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I know that there a lot of ingredients in things that we are probably all ignorant about (ignorant as in not knowing). But....when you *know* there are cancer-causing chemicals in a baby shampoo.......well, I don't get how you wouldn't care. People with this shampoo pour this on the head of their baby....they probably use it as a body wash.....it's in the bathwater the baby is sitting in..... This product is known for it's "no more tears", sooo.....big deal if a little gets in the eye...... I guess I'm a little surprised that you would just keep using it (assuming you have some). :001_huh: To me....I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in the trash and buy a natural shampoo for my baby that doesn't have chemicals in it. I wouldn't care about wasting a couple of bucks. I think it's terrible that these companies knowingly put this junk in products that are used on babies.

Your comment kind of made me think of the glass of water with a drop of poison. Oh....no big deal....it's just a drop. :confused:

It's trace amounts of potentially cancer causing chemicals in a product most of us use for a very limited amount of time. It's about assessing risk and deciding what you're comfortable with. After all, water is potentially toxic but I'm not going to ban it from the house. "Potential" leaves a lot of room for other factors to affect whether or not something causes cancer and a lot of room for us to control any risk our children might be exposed to.

Just trying to help you see why others might not be so concerned about this.

Edited by WishboneDawn

As I said in a previous post...I know there's stuff in probably everything that we don't know about. I guess I don't get knowing and not caring.... Thanks for trying to help, but I don't buy the luxury of affording vs the cheapest on the shelf. I'm sure there are other baby shampoos that won't break that bank that don't contain quaternium-15 and dioxane. Maybe for some people it's too much of an inconvenience to read labels.

Ok, I didn't use Johnson's on my babies, but this sounds a lot like an accusation that people are lazy, bad, cancer-risking mothers. I realize you have your hackles up here, but I don't think that's necessary.

As I said in a previous post...I know there's stuff in probably everything that we don't know about. I guess I don't get knowing and not caring.... Thanks for trying to help, but I don't buy the luxury of affording vs the cheapest on the shelf. I'm sure there are other baby shampoos that won't break that bank that don't contain quaternium-15 and dioxane. Maybe for some people it's too much of an inconvenience to read labels.

I wasn't referring to just baby shampoo. I also live in the city where there are some people that buy just what is available in their local corner store or Walmart. Some people have the ability and are willing to go further out or at least know where to look for the safer stuff. The safer stuff here is A LOT more expensive, so yes, it does make a difference (ex $1.97 vs $8-$12 a bottle).

(I even thanked you for posting and was being gracious towards you. Please calm down and realise that if you bring something up, it will get discussed, possibly till the cows come home)

Edited by mommaduck

Yup. And heck, many very natural things contain carcinogens. Sit around a campfire and inhale the smoke and you're dealing with trace amounts of potential carcinogens. I'm not going to stop having campfires though.

Thanks for posting this! It really gets me mad, when they can do this. They don't want people abusing children, than how is this not. Adding chemicals that can cause cancer is abuse.

Personally I am trying to do alot myself and avoid packaged food and body stuff with tons of stuff in. I need more recipes for soaps ect.

I don't see any reason for anyone being controversial or angry (to each other, within the thread) :confused: It could make a good discussion. What are the potential dangers, how high are the risks, etc. There are risks in almost every thing we do. We all have to make the choice ourselves on which risks we're willing to take.

Thanks for posting the article. I do think it's strange that they're making some wash without these ingredients, but continue to put it in others.

OK...what the heck does that mean?? What is this....gang up on ~AprilMay~ day???? What does this mean?? That I shouldn't have posted that on the Today show they talked about cancer causing chemicals in Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo??? Sheessshhhh...I really thought people would appreciate knowing. If I had it in my bathroom for my baby I would want to know. I guess I'm just different like that.

I don't know AprilMay, but I'm with you. If I knew something was potentially dangerous, I wouldn't put it near my baby. Some people want more proof than that. I'd let it go. You made an announcement and there are some people, like me, who have never heard of the problem. What really surprises me is that they make these products without the bad things in them for some markets, but not all. Weird. But yes, thank you for sharing.

Ok, I didn't use Johnson's on my babies, but this sounds a lot like an accusation that people are lazy, bad, cancer-risking mothers. I realize you have your hackles up here, but I don't think that's necessary.

Yeah....because that's what I said.

:confused: :glare:

I wasn't referring to just baby shampoo. I also live in the city where there are some people that buy just what is available in their local corner store or Walmart. Some people have the ability and are willing to go further out or at least know where to look for the safer stuff. The safer stuff here is A LOT more expensive, so yes, it does make a difference (ex $1.97 vs $8-$12 a bottle).

(I even thanked you for posting and was being gracious towards you. Please calm down and realise that if you bring something up, it will get discussed, possibly till the cows come home)

But, I was talking about just shampoo....and just this particular brand.

Yes, I did see your thank you comment. I saw it after I replied to you.

To those of you who have kindly posted that you appreciate the info...thank you for that.

For the rest of you.......have at it...debate about it until the cows come home if you wanna. I really don't care anymore 'cuz I'm done with it.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

AprilMay, my husband has had cancer removed from his colon twice (and he's 38 right now...so this has been going on a while). Also, my husband's friend just found out that he's in stage 4 of non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (he's also my husband's age and he has 5 kids). One of my husband's co-workers just died of brain cancer (also my husband's age).

We are just to the point where we are examining everything we buy. I'm trying to buy organic foods, I'm cutting down on plastics, I'm starting to really look at labels, etc. I really think there is an absolute TON of carcinogenic things in our everyday environment right now. And, I don't even know if any of that is going to help.

When they first found out my husband had cancer, the doctor said the don't even *check* people my husband's age because it's very unheard of... Funny, because I'm hearing about it a lot lately in our age group.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the shampoo...but my husband and I are pretty paranoid about things like that at this point in our lives. So, we wouldn't buy it if we heard that there was a possiblity of carcinogens.

I guess I'm trying to say that I understand why people are careful about that stuff.

I don't know AprilMay, but I'm with you. If I knew something was potentially dangerous, I wouldn't put it near my baby. Some people want more proof than that. I'd let it go. You made an announcement and there are some people, like me, who have never heard of the problem. What really surprises me is that they make these products without the bad things in them for some markets, but not all. Weird. But yes, thank you for sharing.

:confused: Yeah, what the heck??

Also, this is the first I heard of it, too.

It's trace amounts of potentially cancer causing chemicals in a product most of us use for a very limited amount of time. It's about assessing risk and deciding what you're comfortable with. After all, water is potentially toxic but I'm not going to ban it from the house. "Potential" leaves a lot of room for other factors to affect whether or not something causes cancer and a lot of room for us to control any risk our children might be exposed to.

Just trying to help you see why others might not be so concerned about this.

:iagree: -And also, I think I'm a little jaded at this point. I no longer blindly trust research and study conclusions because of how often they are later debunked.

Whatever. Sounds like you are just looking to feel offended by everyone today :( Discussions branch out. That is the way of it. If you want just a "everyone come and nod your head with me" thread, then please post JAWM in your title. Personally, if you let a discussion take its course, you might start seeing names of other harmful things and names of potential, safer replacements.

Yeah....because that's what I said.

:confused: :glare:

But, I was talking about just shampoo....and just this particular brand.

Yes, I did see your thank you comment. I saw it after I replied to you.

To those of you who have kindly posted that you appreciate the info...thank you for that.

For the rest of you.......have at it...debate about it until the cows come home if you wanna. I really don't care anymore 'cuz I'm done with it.

I don't really understand why you're angry. It seems like a harsher reaction than necessary to a difference of opinion. :grouphug: Are you having a hard morning? I ask only because some days I just feel... tense. And more easily upset about things that normally wouldn't bother me.

AprilMay, I appreciate you posting the link and I also appreciate that this is something you care strongly about.

It probably isn't "pick on AprilMay-Day", but don't be surprised when people take offense when you take a slam at someone choosing to disagree with you. Yeah - I read the whole thread and the responses. Your posts are coming off as pot-stirring - taking jabs at people ("ignorant", acusing "some people" of being too lazy to read labels) and using emotional language.

I am a bit disappointed - I was looking forward to an interesting discussion of the chemicals in baby-products. Maybe another day.... and I apologize for posting directly to the OP instead of staying on topic.

Considering that all you need to get a baby *clean* is warm water and a wash cloth, the cheapest option is to not buy baby shampoo at all. Of course Baby won't smell like fragrance, but so what?

Considering that all you need to get a baby *clean* is warm water and a wash cloth, the cheapest option is to not buy baby shampoo at all. Of course Baby won't smell like fragrance, but so what?

:iagree:And this is what we generally do with our babies. In fact, it's the best thing, particularly with baby girls. You really don't want soap in the water they are sitting in.

My point on the other was the fact that we live in an area where you have a lot of poverty level people and not a lot of self educating. Many are not aware and they buy what is available and stretch their money as far as they can. I'm not quick to judge them. But yes, I agree, water is best. (and I miss my well water! I HATE city water)

Edited by mommaduck

Honestly? It wouldn't surprise me if my tap water had more than just a drop of poison in it and certainly more than what is in J&J shampoo. Personally I don't use J&J brand anyways bc it is the most expensive on the shelf. But I still drink my tap water. Some cultures consider coffee poison. (Buddhists too, I *think*?) but I'm content drinking it right this minute. I also didn't pay triple the cost for an "organic" earth friendly mattress last time we bought beds. My list could go on considerably. We start with what we can afford, then what best meets our needs, which includes the quality. I have some J&J baby soap that was given as a gift when I had the baby or in the hospital take home stuff. I'm not going to throw it out. It's free, so we will use it. Though honestly I dislike the smell so usually I only use it when I forget that I dislike the smell and just grab whichever is closest. Last time the closest thing was one of the bars of dial soap we had carved into animals for our Little House studies.

I don't really understand why you're angry. It seems like a harsher reaction than necessary to a difference of opinion. :grouphug: Are you having a hard morning? I ask only because some days I just feel... tense. And more easily upset about things that normally wouldn't bother me.

Yeah. I'm not getting it either. I didn't read anyone jumping on her or anything.:confused:

Thanks for posting the link. I'll go read it. We used baby shampoo and other baby care products that were all natural (and expensive). My oldest dd has very sensitive skin, and the natural products were often really hard on her. The pediatrician pointed out that botanicals can be very harsh, even though they are natural. We eventually found products that worked, but it was a long process. Thankfully, our local health food store, and Whole Foods, both let us return any product that irritated dd's skin.

Seriously, I've yet to use any shampoo, soap etc on my babies.

Plain water will do if one must, but when my baby has blow out diaper up his back and down his legs - I want soap! Babies get dirty just like big people. I use soap when I wash my hands and I insist my kids do the same, so yes, I want soap when washing my babies.

I think what generally annoys me about these kind of advisories (and I mean the article, not AprilMay's posting! I think the OP is a good entry into a discussion) is that there's no useful information about what exactly the risk involved actually is or links to sources so we can evaluate the risk ourselves. It's an article written to alarm but not truly inform.

But as for not putting something potentially dangerous near your baby, I bet you do that almost every day. Every car ride likely has a MUCH higher risk of harm associated with it then the shampoo. At some point your baby walks and uses stairs. Again, the risk of harm there is likely much higher then the shampoo.

I'm not saying you should use the shampoo, simply that the idea that we can eliminate danger is a false one. So instead we need to evaluate risk, get comfortable with certain risks, reject other. For that we need proper information and the article in question simply doesn't provide that. Instead it plays into this idea that if we just eliminate this or that then we can eliminate risk. Which I don't believe we can.

I think what generally annoys me about these kind of advisories (and I mean the article, not AprilMay's posting! I think the OP is a good entry into a discussion) is that there's no useful information about what exactly the risk involved actually is or links to sources so we can evaluate the risk ourselves. It's an article written to alarm but not truly inform.

But as for not putting something potentially dangerous near your baby, I bet you do that almost every day. Every car ride likely has a MUCH higher risk of harm associated with it then the shampoo. At some point your baby walks and uses stairs. Again, the risk of harm there is likely much higher then the shampoo.

I'm not saying you should use the shampoo, simply that the idea that we can eliminate danger is a false one. So instead we need to evaluate risk, get comfortable with certain risks, reject other. For that we need proper information and the article in question simply doesn't provide that. Instead it plays into this idea that if we just eliminate this or that then we can eliminate risk. Which I don't believe we can.

Thank you! I couldn't quite articulate my thoughts and feelings (mentally) but you nailed it for me. So, this. :D. :iagree:

:iagree: Perfectly said!!

You can check the safety of the ingredients of many products at the Environmental Working Group's website. Here is their analysis of J&J Baby Shampoo.

Baby Magic Baby Wash earned the worst score.

It is a pretty interesting site to check out. Be careful though, you might end up wanting to swear off most body care products and cosmetics! :tongue_smilie:

You can check the safety of the ingredients of many products at the Environmental Working Group's website. Here is their analysis of J&J Baby Shampoo.

It is a pretty interesting site to check out. Be careful though, you might end up wanting to swear off most body care products and cosmetics! :tongue_smilie:

It is an interesting site. J&J shampoo scored better than my lotion I use from Whole Foods. It's the only lotion that doesn't cause me skin irritation but they say its full of harmful stuff. I would never use anything again if I delved too deeply on that site.:glare:

I know you have said since this post that you were done with the discussion, but I just want to say that I AM one of those people who buys what I can afford. Not to mention that I don't read up on all the millions (slight exaggeration here) of things that are *potentially* harmful to myself, my kids, etc. Sometimes I feel like there is so much negative stuff out there in the form of 'plastic will cause cancer!', 'baby shampoo has carcinogens in it!' etc, that I just get tired of hearing it and feel like its just people trying to blow things out of proportion.

To me, to find somewhere to buy a bunch of organic baby wash and soap and shampoo and stuff really IS a luxury. Maybe we have it at the local Wal Mart, idk and I really haven't ever looked, but I know that I DID look at that California Baby crap for a family member who had registered for it and it was like $20 a bottle. Are you kidding?? If its really bad for people to use the normally priced, readily available stuff, why can't all the 'organic' companies make their products more affordable and readily available to the masses? It kind of makes me wonder if they really care that much, or if its all just a way to make money. In which case, are the other products really that bad, or is that just a way to make money, too, by SAYING that they are bad? Does that make any sense at all?

:iagree: -And also, I think I'm a little jaded at this point. I no longer blindly trust research and study conclusions because of how often they are later debunked.

:iagree:

Totally not being snarky here - really? I didn't know that. It kind of weirds me out, honestly, to think that I wouldn't need soap... of course, I don't have any babies anymore, but at the time... wait, you do use shampoo still though, right? Because their hair has to be washed, right? :001_huh:

Plain water will do if one must, but when my baby has blow out diaper up his back and down his legs - I want soap! Babies get dirty just like big people. I use soap when I wash my hands and I insist my kids do the same, so yes, I want soap when washing my babies.

:iagree: This is me, as well. I can't imagine ever just using water to wash anything...

:iagree: Very well put.

I never even knew there was a website like that. I don't know if I want to bother looking at it or not... I'm such a skeptic! :lol:

We just started using J&J for our oldest daughter with autism (at the recommendation of our eye doctor). Our oldest loves to be outside and plays in the dirt and sand (sometimes throwing it up in the air). She's inside a fenced area so I am not always around her. Recently she had dirt in her eye which developed into a huge and nasty infection around her eye. She's currently using an ointment over the eye with both steroids and antibiotics in it. Our eye doctor said to gently wash her face at night (or after dirt throwing) with J&J due to the 'no tears' factor (so we could clean her eyes without irritation and meltdowns).

Any suggestions for a good alternative? It needs to be 'eye friendly'. If this is off-topic, feel free to PM me.

Thank you :)