Menu

Rhodesian Ridgeback dog?

this is what we're going to be getting next year! They're GREAT with kids, a great family dog. They were used to hunt lions in Africa! They are TERRIFIC guard dogs, it's instinctual for them.

They are high energy dogs, not a dog for everyone. They need regular, daily exercise, training from a VERY young age (this time we won't be getting a rescue, we will be getting a puppy) and proper socialization early on. I've read that this is VERY important.

How old is the dog you're considering?

Does anyone have experience with this breed? I am considering a cross with a boxer for a family/farm watchdog.

EEK! Probably my two LEAST favorite breeds! Combined! YAY! :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, though--- I have personal hang-ups with both breeds. I'm sure they're very lovely for some folks. I've just known too many of each that have terrible, terrible temperaments.

But lots of folks love them, so ymmv.

astrid

this is what we're going to be getting next year! They're GREAT with kids, a great family dog. They were used to hunt lions in Africa! They are TERRIFIC guard dogs, it's instinctual for them.

They are high energy dogs, not a dog for everyone. They need regular, daily exercise, training from a VERY young age (this time we won't be getting a rescue, we will be getting a puppy) and proper socialization early on. I've read that this is VERY important.

I am looking at taking 2 puppies. I am actually really upset with the breeder and walked away from this situation, because I feel she is being very unethical.

This is a 1/2RR and 1/2Boxer. She has bred these dogs twice and tried to tell me she gets 350 per pup. :tongue_smilie:

They have not been to the vet, which is the first thing I will do! Uggghhh....I actually told her I was in know way going to buy her dogs, I would rather adopt from a shelter. She just emailed me back agreeing to my small rehoming price. Now, I am trying to make up my mind.

Seriously, though--- I have personal hang-ups with both breeds. I'm sure they're very lovely for some folks. I've just known too many of each that have terrible, terrible temperaments.

astrid

what does ymmv mean?

I am somewhat nervous going into this. I'm so mentally exhausted and I'm not positively ready for a puppy, but I know dd11 will be a huge help. I've considered going to local, or more local, breeders, but for some reason I just feel that I need to stick with a breeder in SC because a good friend of mine's brother got one from this breeder, and has been SO impressed with his dog that 8 years later he got another from her. I'm planning to go to SC just because his dogs have such a good disposition.

Do you have any other recommendations or helpful suggestions?

We want this dog to be our guard dog. After reading about so many health issues with german shepards, and after seeing how EXPENSIVE it is to train them to be a guard dog, we've pretty much determined to get a RR. What breed would you consider if you wanted a guard dog?

I wouldn't recommend a Rhodesian as a guard dog. They are big couch potatos and mine is a total wuss. They are big and intimidating looking, and have a scary bark, but that's about all they (Ok, mine at least) have going for them in a guard dog capacity.

astrid

I love MOST Boxers. I have had a couple that were so inbred that they quite literally killed themselves. They could scale the privacy fence and get off any lead I could come up with. They were the worst runners I have ever known and I swore off Boxer purebreds after that. But, I do love them in their own special way. ;)

I wouldn't recommend a Rhodesian as a guard dog. They are big couch potatos and mine is a total wuss. They are big and intimidating looking, and have a scary bark, but that's about all they (Ok, mine at least) have going for them in a guard dog capacity.

this really surprises me. This is a direct contradiction to everything I've read!

But yes, they are known to need a TON of exercise, but also known to be couch potatoes. You don't know what a couch potato is until you've owned a greyhound. :D

Does anyone have experience with this breed? I am considering a cross with a boxer for a family/farm watchdog.

Why, are you going to sic them on missionaries that come to your door?

(Ok, I am SO SORRY but I couldn't resist after that last thread...OP, I know you wouldn't do that!:tongue_smilie:)

(Ok, I am SO SORRY but I couldn't resist after that last thread...OP, I know you wouldn't do that!:tongue_smilie:)

ok, I reread that first line THREE times and sat back in disgust. And lots of confusion. Then I read the second sentence. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I should go to bed!!!

I doubt the missionaries would make it down the 3/4 mile drive, through the cows, copperheads and scorpions, but if they make it that far they are dog bait! J/K :lol:

Sounds like a real missionary experience to reach my house doesn't it?! :D

I am looking at taking 2 puppies. I am actually really upset with the breeder and walked away from this situation, because I feel she is being very unethical.

This is a 1/2RR and 1/2Boxer. She has bred these dogs twice and tried to tell me she gets 350 per pup. :tongue_smilie:

Well, she might be able to find suckers who are willing to spend that much money on mutts. That doesn't mean it's ethical, of course.

I would not buy a dog from someone who purposely crosses two different breeds. If I want a mixed-breed dog, I'll go to a shelter.

We had them in Africa. They were purely guard dogs, working dogs. I hated them. We also had boerbuls, for the same purpose. In my experience, the Boerbuls were great family dogs if you could train them young. I have never met a ridgeback I liked. The ones we had were fierce and scary around children. If you train them early and well like the boerbuls, maybe they'd be alright—but they ARE lion hunters, fwiw.

I know someone with RR puppies for sale.

I've lived with two. One was a lovely laid-back pillow. The other was dangerous.

I'd love to have an adult that I could tell had a good temperament.

I am hoping that the playful Boxer cross will help a bit. I think I have done what I can research wise, now I will just have to see them in person. :tongue_smilie:

We have friends with one of these dogs and she is a wonderful family pet,very friendly and loveable.The husband actually was a hunter/game keeper in Africa prior to moving to New Zealand and they could not wait to get another ridgeback .They had always had this type of dog in Zimbabwe but they are not common here.If we had room for a big dog I would love one after knowing theirs.

I am a registered Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder, and needless to say, LOVE the breed (mostly!!;)).

They are mostly massive couch potatoes that almost need to be pushed out to exercise. Once they are outside however, they are up for anything that you feel like. Basically, if you want to laze around, they'll be right there on the couch with you, but if you want a game in the yard, they are raring to go. Just on dusk, ours always have a zoomie time around the yard, and burn up any energy that wasn't expended during the day.

As far as guard dog qualities, it totally depends on what you need. A RR will certainly warn you when there is someone there, and their bark (they usually only bark when they need to - we don't hear a bark for a couple of weeks sometimes!) is very impressive & scary. As soon as they know you have accepted the visitor as a friend, they lower their guard & will happily allow petting etc. However they won't bail someone up & bare their teeth unless on the very odd occasion they sense that they really don't like a person ( I think they have a very good instinct here). They are also not really the type of dog to enjoy being left outside to patrol like a dedicated guard dog. They love the company of their family, and will almost pine away if they are on their own most of the time.

As an ethical breeder I would only ever breed from dogs with wonderful temperaments, however I suppose there are some that don't have that as their first consideration. Above all, a dog is a pet, and is part of the family, so for me, personality is the first thing I look for. Of course, conformation is important too, but I would never, ever, choose a dog with all the conformation points that I'm looking for if he has a nasty nature. I have only ever seen one nasty RR. She needed to be muzzled at a show, and all the other dogs had to give her room when she came through. Myself, I would never bother breeding or showing a dog like this. Otherwise, all other ridgebacks I have met have been beautifully placid with children & adults alike.

Their bad points, and the reason they are not for anyone, is...extremely independent in spirit - if they don't see a reason they won't bother obeying. Not a lack of intelligence, but too much of it! They can think it through, and decide their action for themselves. If food is involved though, they'll do anything for you, no decisions involved!! If you get an alpha animal, and you are not a strong person, the dog will run the household, and will be a total pain. Hence the importance of training from the moment they come home. Mine are trained a little before they leave here - for instance no biting, and no walking in front of me & tripping me up.

Can't think of anything else, but feel free to PM me if you'd like further info.:)

:iagree:

My mother had a ridgeback for many years. They sound and look scary but they are scaredy cats. My mother's was named "Stalker" by the breeders and it was quite apt. He was liable to sneak up behind you but would run with his tail between his legs if you turned around. We only visited a few times a year (she lives 10 hours away) so he would bark his head off as we drove up. Then as soon as we got out of the car and walked towards the gate he would yelp and run to hide in his kennel.

When we were at my brother's wake one of the people had an RR with them. The owner got a little too drunk and this dog, tired and on unfamiliar territory, stuck to him like glue. It knew he was acting weird. My cousin had a rottweiler and the rottie was trying to be friendly but every time it so much as looked at the drunk owner the RR would let it know it's attention was not appreciated.

My DH and I were supremely impressed both by the rottie's calm despite all the provocation and the RR's commitment to keeping it's owner safe.

The only Ridgeback I nearly owned had two problems I couldn't comfortably deal with. Other wise he was a lovely dog (nearly a year old).

1) Couldn't accept our current dog as the alpha-this and their size disparity was headed towards fighting. Dog #1 came first.

2) I was concerned that I wasn't strong enough or heavy enough to keep control of the dog in an emergency. We were living in the suburbs and he would need to be walked. I realize that this is a hang up of mine--but in city (as opposed to farm) living I like to rely on my size advantage as well as training to control my dog.

We did a weekend trial with the Ridgeback since the owners wanted him to go to a good home. Our home ended up as not a good fit. The owners were giving him up for adoption since one of them had developed a disability that prevented them from controlling and caring for the dog properly.

We had them in Africa. They were purely guard dogs, working dogs. I hated them. We also had boerbuls, for the same purpose. In my experience, the Boerbuls were great family dogs if you could train them young. I have never met a ridgeback I liked. The ones we had were fierce and scary around children. If you train them early and well like the boerbuls, maybe they'd be alright—but they ARE lion hunters, fwiw.

the bolded part is KEY. I've read in numerous places that it's IMPERATIVE that you start training and socializing immediately after getting the PUPPY. This is one dog I wouldn't be interested in rescuing, and the first dog we're getting whic h will serve a purpose other than being a pet.

I guess my question is "guard what?" The family? The other animals? (farm, right?) There is a BIG liability here, in terms of homeowner's insurance, etc. Be aware that the UPS man, the gas meter reader, etc. will need access to your property on occasion.

Just something to think about.

astrid

I am a registered Rhodesian Ridgeback breeder, and needless to say, LOVE the breed (mostly!!;)).

They are mostly massive couch potatoes that almost need to be pushed out to exercise. Once they are outside however, they are up for anything that you feel like. Basically, if you want to laze around, they'll be right there on the couch with you, but if you want a game in the yard, they are raring to go. Just on dusk, ours always have a zoomie time around the yard, and burn up any energy that wasn't expended during the day.

As far as guard dog qualities, it totally depends on what you need. A RR will certainly warn you when there is someone there, and their bark (they usually only bark when they need to - we don't hear a bark for a couple of weeks sometimes!) is very impressive & scary. As soon as they know you have accepted the visitor as a friend, they lower their guard & will happily allow petting etc. However they won't bail someone up & bare their teeth unless on the very odd occasion they sense that they really don't like a person ( I think they have a very good instinct here). They are also not really the type of dog to enjoy being left outside to patrol like a dedicated guard dog. They love the company of their family, and will almost pine away if they are on their own most of the time.

As an ethical breeder I would only ever breed from dogs with wonderful temperaments, however I suppose there are some that don't have that as their first consideration. Above all, a dog is a pet, and is part of the family, so for me, personality is the first thing I look for. Of course, conformation is important too, but I would never, ever, choose a dog with all the conformation points that I'm looking for if he has a nasty nature. I have only ever seen one nasty RR. She needed to be muzzled at a show, and all the other dogs had to give her room when she came through. Myself, I would never bother breeding or showing a dog like this. Otherwise, all other ridgebacks I have met have been beautifully placid with children & adults alike.

Their bad points, and the reason they are not for anyone, is...extremely independent in spirit - if they don't see a reason they won't bother obeying. Not a lack of intelligence, but too much of it! They can think it through, and decide their action for themselves. If food is involved though, they'll do anything for you, no decisions involved!! If you get an alpha animal, and you are not a strong person, the dog will run the household, and will be a total pain. Hence the importance of training from the moment they come home. Mine are trained a little before they leave here - for instance no biting, and no walking in front of me & tripping me up.

Can't think of anything else, but feel free to PM me if you'd like further info.:)

Isabella, I'm wondering what your opinion is of a RR who has a friendly demeanor, but it's owner was put in a dangerous position? Think home invasion, dangerous person met out on a hike, etc. We want this dog to protect us while at home, but dd11 and I also want to feel safer hiking when we go without dh. We were put into scary (but likely harmless) predicaments before and had I had the dog I would have felt safer.

This dog would live in our home, sleep at the foot of our bed on the floor (on it's own bed) and regularly go on outings with us.

I guess my question is "guard what?" The family? The other animals? (farm, right?) There is a BIG liability here, in terms of homeowner's insurance, etc. Be aware that the UPS man, the gas meter reader, etc. will need access to your property on occasion.

Just something to think about.

astrid

this dog would NEVER be unattended while outside. I'm talking home invasion, attack by a bad person while out (hiking), all those unlikely (I hope!) circumstances where a guard dog would help protect us, the family.

I would be a little concerned that the boxer (are you sure it's boxer mixed in?) would dumb down and spaz out an already athletic independent alpha type of dog.

I think this is a good breed description of them. Mixing some boxer in with this would give me pause. (I'm not a boxer fan-the ones I've known have been unhealthy and not very smart)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/rhodesianridgeback.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/boxer.htm

I have a large acreage and a very strong personality :) I will not make any decisons till I meet both mom and dad. I am pretty particular about my dogs so a lot is going to depend on what a percieve to be the dads agressiveness (he is the RR) and the mom's spazzyness (she's the Boxer). We shall see.

If you have a lot of land, are a strong Alpha leader, and are committed to a dog, then that will be a good dog breed for you, but other than that I would not get this dog as they have a lot of energy and need exercise.

this dog would NEVER be unattended while outside. I'm talking home invasion, attack by a bad person while out (hiking), all those unlikely (I hope!) circumstances where a guard dog would help protect us, the family.

I've known a lot of RR, and either they've had terrible temperaments (aggressive, dog aggressive, dominant, etc.) or total wusses. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are sight hounds.

"guard dogs" require lots of training. ANY dog requires lots of training. I know you know that. :001_smile:

astrid

My inlaws had one and I loved him. He was smart and obedient and very loving, great with kids. He wasn't allowed into their main house but had a huge back yard and a finished basement (with a dog door) that he could go hang out in and he always knew when my FIL left the house and would sit in the back yard crying out loud. :)

ETA: Some people are saying bad things about boxers and it's true, boxers can be pretty awful. My family had one that we could not contain. She escaped the back yard and ran and ran and ran. She got hit by a car and still didn't learn her lesson and still kept escaping (she was pretty dumb). She was skin and bones, people thought we didn't feed her but she had food out all the time and ate plenty, but she ran off every calorie she took in. HOWEVER, I've known boxers that were sweet and trainable and very chill (to the point of being lazy). :) So I think it very much depends on the dog. My family owned different Golden Retrievers who had very very different temperaments. One was a total spaz who couldn't calm down long enough to learn anything. The other two were calm and very loving and under the mistaken impression that they were lap dogs.

Edited by Mimm

I've known a lot of RR, and either they've had terrible temperaments (aggressive, dog aggressive, dominant, etc.) or total wusses. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are sight hounds.

"guard dogs" require lots of training. ANY dog requires lots of training. I know you know that. :001_smile:

astrid

Unfortunately I have only known 4 RR that have had good, proper temperments in the last 12 years. The 4 of those dogs all came from the same breeder and were raised by the same owner.

Unfortunately I have only known 4 RR that have had good, proper temperments in the last 12 years. The 4 of those dogs all came from the same breeder and were raised by the same owner.

this is why I've decided to either travel to SC, or have the dog shipped. I don't think it's worth it to risk trying a local breeder. My friend's brother was SO impressed with his dog that he just had a second shipped to him from the original breeder, now 8 years later.

Boxers..while not my favorite breed, the ones I've known have been sweet and fun. RR's I really like and would want one some day. But I like strong natured dogs. Right now we have a GSD and a pitt mix. We also had a Great Dane. I love Akita's too, but won't get one while we have a farm.

Honestly I've found that while there seems to be a 'standard' with dog breeds, there are always exceptions to that at both spectrum ends. It depends on breeding, socializing and training. If I were to buy a dog I'd be doing research on breeders and a visit with parents and puppies.

Good luck!

this is why I've decided to either travel to SC, or have the dog shipped. I don't think it's worth it to risk trying a local breeder. My friend's brother was SO impressed with his dog that he just had a second shipped to him from the original breeder, now 8 years later.

ETA: AHHH...NEVERMIND----- I JUST WENT BACK AND REALIZED THAT YOU WANT A RR, SIMKA2 WANTS A RR/BOXER MIX.

BUT THE REST OF THE QUESTIONS APPLY---

So this breeder in SC breeds RR with boxers? Why? Is there a rationale for this? Is this some new designer breed I"m not aware of? Do you have any other recommendations for this breeder other than the brother of a friend? How about health testing?

Does your friend's brother have a similar home/family life? Young kids? Livestock? Poultry?

Just a few things that popped into my mind. I'm still not understanding the RR/Boxer cross.

astrid

what does ymmv mean?

I am somewhat nervous going into this. I'm so mentally exhausted and I'm not positively ready for a puppy, but I know dd11 will be a huge help. I've considered going to local, or more local, breeders, but for some reason I just feel that I need to stick with a breeder in SC because a good friend of mine's brother got one from this breeder, and has been SO impressed with his dog that 8 years later he got another from her. I'm planning to go to SC just because his dogs have such a good disposition.

Do you have any other recommendations or helpful suggestions?

We want this dog to be our guard dog. After reading about so many health issues with german shepards, and after seeing how EXPENSIVE it is to train them to be a guard dog, we've pretty much determined to get a RR. What breed would you consider if you wanted a guard dog?

I would check out a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

I describe ours as a cross between a German Shepherd and a labrador.

She is protective when outside the home and a big mush with my kids.

ETA: AHHH...NEVERMIND----- I JUST WENT BACK AND REALIZED THAT YOU WANT A RR, SIMKA2 WANTS A RR/BOXER MIX.

BUT THE REST OF THE QUESTIONS APPLY---

So this breeder in SC breeds RR with boxers? Why? Is there a rationale for this? Is this some new designer breed I"m not aware of? Do you have any other recommendations for this breeder other than the brother of a friend? How about health testing?

Does your friend's brother have a similar home/family life? Young kids? Livestock? Poultry?

Just a few things that popped into my mind. I'm still not understanding the RR/Boxer cross.

astrid

:lol::lol::lol: I'm getting a 100% RR for myself. I'm going to the breeder where he got his because both his dog and his puppy, only about 5 - 6 months old now, both have wonderful dispositions. He was so impressed with his first dog that he went back to SC for the second. Actually he had it shipped but I hate the idea of that so I'll probably drive down there myself.

I don't know about kids but I do know he works all day. I'm somewhat nervous about this dog but it will serve a purpose. Dd11 and I both will be training it together, he will need to respect her as the alpha as well. dd8 will not be working with the dog and will never be left unattended with it because she's never left unattended.

The dog can't get to the livestock unless it goes through an electric fence. I will plan to introduce it to the fence at the right time. I don't intend to leave the dog outside unattended, but we have a huge yard and I really don't want to have to leash him. He will be watched to go to the bathroom, and we will walk/exercise him. If we put him inside the field to run unattended, while dd's and I sit outside and supervise, the livestock will be shut in the barn.

I'm hoping that since he will be raised with all these animals, he will be fine.

I've been encouraged by the responses here, and also by my friend's brother's experience with his dogs from this breeder. I am nervous, though, and do know how important it is that he is trained, socialized, and exercised from the very beginning. It's a big undertaking, I'm nervous. But I won't be lazy or careless about it. This will be the first time I do clicker training.

I appreciate your input, and Simka - I didn't mean to hijack your thread! I'm sorry!

No problem ;) I am enjoying learning about them. My mind is nowhere near made up, but it is fun learning.

:lol::lol::lol: I'm getting a 100% RR for myself. I'm going to the breeder where he got his because both his dog and his puppy, only about 5 - 6 months old now, both have wonderful dispositions. He was so impressed with his first dog that he went back to SC for the second. Actually he had it shipped but I hate the idea of that so I'll probably drive down there myself.

I don't know about kids but I do know he works all day. I'm somewhat nervous about this dog but it will serve a purpose. Dd11 and I both will be training it together, he will need to respect her as the alpha as well. dd8 will not be working with the dog and will never be left unattended with it because she's never left unattended.

The dog can't get to the livestock unless it goes through an electric fence. I will plan to introduce it to the fence at the right time. I don't intend to leave the dog outside unattended, but we have a huge yard and I really don't want to have to leash him. He will be watched to go to the bathroom, and we will walk/exercise him. If we put him inside the field to run unattended, while dd's and I sit outside and supervise, the livestock will be shut in the barn.

I'm hoping that since he will be raised with all these animals, he will be fine.

I've been encouraged by the responses here, and also by my friend's brother's experience with his dogs from this breeder. I am nervous, though, and do know how important it is that he is trained, socialized, and exercised from the very beginning. It's a big undertaking, I'm nervous. But I won't be lazy or careless about it. This will be the first time I do clicker training.

I appreciate your input, and Simka - I didn't mean to hijack your thread! I'm sorry!

We had a ridgeback/Shepard mix from the pound. She was more RR than Shepard. She had a lovely temperament, her ridge would rise up if she was barking, and if anyone came into our house she would have licked them to death. She also hated swimming, and was a huge couch potato.

We had a neighborhood where everyone just let their dogs roam, and all our neighbors loved Poppy. She was a great family dog.

EXCELLENT reading for you, Simka! Livingnlearning posted this link on the Chesapeake bay Retriever thread I started.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322661&highlight=rhodesian

Scroll down a little. Several boxer/RR owners there!

That thread has me nervous about the RR's again! I'm just exhausted and can't handle a high maintenance dog. Dogs that need training, yes, dogs that need lots of exercise, yes, but I have several concerns, all of which were addressed in that thread.

BIG decision!