Menu

Do any of you NOT have a cell of any kind?

I would prefer to be without one. They are our primary phones right now though. Hopefully that will change this week.

We live in SD and winters can be really rough. We also live a ways from the town where we do all of our shopping and most of our Dr appointments. I guess it is a comfort when I have to take off in the middle of the winter knowing that I could get help if I needed it.

Guest submarines

DH doesn't. I have a pay as you go for emergencies, but I hardly ever remember to take it with me. And I certainly don't like when people want call me on it. ;)

We don't have one. I had one years ago when dh and I were dating and phone calls to each other were long distance. He's talking about getting a pay-as-you-go for emergencies. I've survived many car breakdowns over the years without one, and count cell phones as a convenience rather that a necessity.

Honestly, I dislike the whole cell phone culture--everyone interrupting everyone else to see who called, take a call, text, etc. And the ringing...ugh. I even hate my landline:/. Yes, I'm weird. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know anyone else without a cell phone.

I don't. My dh has a Blackberry his work provides. I should get one for emergencies, but have not had a lot of motivation to search out a plan and am not thrilled about budgeting for a phone. I don't even like talking on the phone. That said, dh keeps saying we should get me an iphone because it has such a good camera and I don't always want to lug my slr around. ETA: I live in a very populated area, I guess I don't feel a big need to have one for safety, I could easily get help if I needed it. Maybe that's weird to think that way.

Dh has a pay as you go that I use sometimes, but I don't have one. I don't like them.

But, I clicked on this thread because I was quite confused :confused::confused:. I thought you were asking about the other kind of cells.:tongue_smilie: I guess you can tell cell phones aren't part of my life.

We didn't for many years. Unless you live in some completely isolated place, you don't need one "for emergencies" -- and I say this as someone whose car overheated and I had to pull over 1 block off some small rural highway 9mo pregnant. Seriously, AT LEAST every other car stopped and asked if I was ok and offered to let me use their cell phones. It got to the point that I crossed the road to stand where some construction equipment was just so people would STOP helping me! LOL Then the construction guys showed up and offered me their phones! It was too funny! DH showed up and got the car home. That was 7 years ago and cell phones are even MORE common now.

The only reason we have one is dh started working longer hours and my mom put us on her plan for $10 a month because she wanted us to have a phone. Kinda funny that it's become "a necessity" even among folks who somehow lived over 60 years without one! :D

I said "other" because dh, myself, and my mom are the only ones who even have the number. :)

I don't have a cell phone. And I even live up North in Canada where the winters are brutal. But I'm also in a big city and a payphone is never really *that* far away. Even after having a car breakdown out in the the middle of a highway by myself 30 minutes from a major city in the dead of winter at 10:30pm, I still view cell phones as a luxury item.

We didn't for many years. Unless you live in some completely isolated place, you don't need one "for emergencies" -- and I say this as someone whose car overheated and I had to pull over 1 block off some small rural highway 9mo pregnant. Seriously, AT LEAST every other car stopped and asked if I was ok and offered to let me use their cell phones. It got to the point that I crossed the road to stand where some construction equipment was just so people would STOP helping me! LOL Then the construction guys showed up and offered me their phones!

That's exactly what I meant. I don't think it a necessity where I live, I'm not worried about being stranded without help. I can see where it would be convenient, like when I'm at the grocery store and need dh to check and see if we have an ingredient, but usually if he's home I just take his phone anyway, and call the house. I'd just rather spend the money on other things.

What happened recently was that a mom was going to bring her kids to my house for me to drive them somewhere.

I was quite specific and TWICE clearly stated we needed to leave by XX time at the LATEST.

Well, 20 minutes after XX time she still hadn't shown up.

So, we left.

She had no cell to call and check what was going on and apparently she showed up at our house a few minutes after we left.

Now, a 1 minute phone call on a cell could have taken care of this situation. But we had no way to contact her other than a home phone where she wasn't there anyway.

Now, I do not know their financial situation at all, but they do have some nice things so I assume they could come up with a $100 tracphone plan (and I think they can even be cheaper) per year.

Just surprised me and I felt bad for leaving but we were already 20 minutes late and I was clear with our times to leave. I also felt bad that we were late to where we were going because people were counting on us to be there on time.

Dawn

I don't have a cell phone. And I even live up North in Canada where the winters are brutal. But I'm also in a big city and a payphone is never really *that* far away. Even after having a car breakdown out in the the middle of a highway by myself 30 minutes from a major city in the dead of winter at 10:30pm, I still view cell phones as a luxury item.

See maybe its just different here, but about 6-7 years ago, we started seeing payphones disappear. That's when we got cell phones for the first time. And we got cell phones for the oldest 2 boys last year because people just assume teens have cell phones. They would get out of a class or whatever, and there would be no way to contact us. No payphones. And if the place closed, they didn't think to ask if the boys ride was there yet. They just sent them out to wait outside. They assumed either the boys had phones or plans we were okay with. And ONCE one of my kids was somewhere and things were not going well and they asked to call home and were told they could t use the phone. :glare: For all those reasons, we got cell phones.

BUT, I will be honest and say that unless you are a close friend of the family - you don't get our cell numbers. And we get VERY cranky if our cell numbers are given out. So in the OP situation, it might not have mattered bc I might not have given you the cell phones number anyways. But I would have been 15 minutes EARLY anyways.:tongue_smilie:

Many don't need one.

There are several internet based plans out there that are very cheap too. MagicJack is one, there is another new one call NetTalk.

We have another one called Ooma. It is $179 initial cost and $3/mo for taxes but no other charges.

We have unlimited calling, voicemail, caller id, call waiting, and can check calls and messages on their website by logging in if we are away.

We bought the "hub" from Costco and it went out after 22 months (I think we got a faulty one to begin with as it has had issues) but Costco replaced it for free! :D

So, in answer to your question.....I probably wouldn't go completely without, but one of the VoiP plans like the above would be a good option.

Dawn

No, we don't have one. Wish we did, but I can't justify the cost. But I'm starting to look at plans - perhaps we'll eliminate our land line and then could afford a phone. What does everyone think about no land line at all?

<Myra

But I'm also in a big city and a payphone is never really *that* far away.

Wait, really? Because I haven't seen a pay phone in years. All the cities I've lived in have removed them. Since cell phones were so prevalent, they were primarily being used to make untrackable phone calls for drug deals and other crimes.

I am not a big cell phone user, but I do have a cell - a flip phone from like 10 years ago. I primarily got it so I could be reached when other people had my children. Of course the people I leave my children with I trust act responsibly in an emergency, but if my children are injured or sick I *want* to know, ASAP, and cells make that possible.

That was the only reason I got it, but now, I must admit, it is SO useful. I do not text or *chat* on my cell, so I don't really consider myself a part of cell phone culture, but for key information - "hey I'm at the store, hon, did we have any eggs left? I forgot to check." or.. on trips if the family has to split up the cell makes it easier/quicker to find each other.

I *can* imagine life without a cell, but having one can eliminate a lot of life's little annoyances.

Btw, my MIL doesn't have a cell phone. So last April she was traveling, and coming to our house was on her itinerary. Well, then the tornadoes hit Alabama and we were without power, landline phone service, without the ability to buy gas, or food for nearly a week, all the roads were closed, etc. Our ability to communicate was HIGHLY limited. We had some spotty cell coverage to tell loved ones we were OK, but we could NOT get through to my MIL to tell her not to come. It was SO aggravating. We didn't get a hold of her until she was literally sitting in the airport ready to board her flight and we finally managed to get the airport to page her, using our cell which was at that point charged off of a generator. She hadn't been following the news since she was on vacation, and the flights were still going into Huntsville for residents to get back to their families or for personnel who were coming to help the disaster. We were so lucky we got cell coverage long enough to reach her at the airport, and to have had a way to keep our phone charged (some folks did not). If she had only had a cell, we would have had opportunity for contact days in advance. Fortunately since we were a declared national disaster the airline let her change her flights without penalty, but she potentially could have lost a lot of money in addition to the inconvenience.

My DH actually wants me to get my HAM radio license so I have the function of a cell phone w/ him if service ever goes down.

Edited by zenjenn

No, we don't have one. Wish we did, but I can't justify the cost. But I'm starting to look at plans - perhaps we'll eliminate our land line and then could afford a phone. What does everyone think about no land line at all?

<Myra

After an ice storm last winter that left us without power for 5 days and spotty cell coverage, we'll be keeping our land line.

We have a Tracfone for emergencies. We pay $19.99 for 3 months service/120 minutes airtime, which we never come close to using. It would even be cheaper if we bought it for a year at a time, but as it stands, less than $7/month for cell service and piece of mind works for me.

I don't have one. I can't justify the cost - and I do not worry about breakdowns, etc. Like others here, I have had breakdowns, people always stop and offer help. A breakdown is inconvenient, it is not a nightmare.

As per pay as you go programs - we do no not seem to have that here (Canada). My DD has a cell phone, but she has to buy cards (minimum 10$) for use and the cards are only good for a month. Otherwise, you have to be on a plan, even if it is not a contract. There is no spend 2$ this month, 12$ the next, 0 the next.....

There may be other stuff out there in the land of cell phones, but honestly, I find trying to understand the world of cell phones and their variety of plans so complicated that it is not worth it to me (we look into it occasionally, DD 12, wants one).

I don't have a working cell phone.

I do have a Tracfone, but the card it had expired some time ago. We bought it last summer when I was going on a cross-country camping trip with the kids alone (i.e. without dh or another adult). I used it a few times on the trip and that was it. I also have an iphone without service. When my dh upgraded to a newer model, I got the old one. I use it at home with our wifi to entertain myself while nursing the baby. I also have a free texting app that I use to text my husband while he is at work. I leave it at home when I go out, since it doesn't have service, but it is nice to have as a minicomputer at home.

I don't. DH has an i-phone for work and a separate phone in his car. I did have an old one of DH's until it broke a couple of years ago. When I used to drive four small children for miles along deserted country lanes having one in the car for an emergency made sense. I keep meaning to get a cheap one for the car for emergencies, I've just never got around to it as it's not really high on my list of priorities.

Cassy

We don't have one. I had one years ago when dh and I were dating and phone calls to each other were long distance. He's talking about getting a pay-as-you-go for emergencies. I've survived many car breakdowns over the years without one, and count cell phones as a convenience rather that a necessity.

Honestly, I dislike the whole cell phone culture--everyone interrupting everyone else to see who called, take a call, text, etc. And the ringing...ugh. I even hate my landline:/. Yes, I'm weird. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know anyone else without a cell phone.

Oh, thank goodness there's someone out there like me! I hate the ringing phone. Sometimes I want to throw it. :tongue_smilie: I don't always answer, which doesn't win me any popularity contests.

What happened recently was that a mom was going to bring her kids to my house for me to drive them somewhere.

I was quite specific and TWICE clearly stated we needed to leave by XX time at the LATEST.

Well, 20 minutes after XX time she still hadn't shown up.

So, we left.

She had no cell to call and check what was going on and apparently she showed up at our house a few minutes after we left.

Now, a 1 minute phone call on a cell could have taken care of this situation. But we had no way to contact her other than a home phone where she wasn't there anyway.

Now, I do not know their financial situation at all, but they do have some nice things so I assume they could come up with a $100 tracphone plan (and I think they can even be cheaper) per year.

Just surprised me and I felt bad for leaving but we were already 20 minutes late and I was clear with our times to leave. I also felt bad that we were late to where we were going because people were counting on us to be there on time.

Dawn

If it was that important, you should have just left without her. If I was 20 minutes late for something that tightly scheduled and important, I wouldn't have been shocked to have missed the boat. She could have driven on herself. It was her problem to solve at that point.

And while I don't often USE my cell phone, I have one, precisely for things like that. I have appointments to make, and if I'm going to be late I want to be able to call.

I did leave without her.

I felt bad about it.

It wasn't dire, but we had promised we would be there on time and I had given a clear time to be at my house by.

Dawn

If it was that important, you should have just left without her. If I was 20 minutes late for something that tightly scheduled and important, I wouldn't have been shocked to have missed the boat. She could have driven on herself. It was her problem to solve at that point.

And while I don't often USE my cell phone, I have one, precisely for things like that. I have appointments to make, and if I'm going to be late I want to be able to call.

I got my first cell phone when we moved here because they are generally necessary here. Almost everyone has one, unless you are very poor, because the wired phone system isn't very reliable- usually you can't use it to call outside your town. The Soviet equivalent of pay phones are disappearing here too.

I will be happy to be cell-free when I live in the US again though.

nope. I don't have one. DH has a track phone for when he travels.

However, we are prob going to be getting iPhones next year. Life has just become too complicated and our kids are away from us more often. We are running into more and more situations where it is expected I will leave my kid for an activity but will be available by mobile phone when the activity is done.

And as DS became a 'middle schooler' this year, we are running into more situations where it is assumed that he has a phone of his own. Crazy.

We don't have a cell, and I rarely answer the land line unless it is one of my kids. I just don't like talking on the phone and I don't encourage people to call me. I'd rather talk face to face. I don't understand the fascination of talking to someone on a phone or by text rather than the people one is actually with. As for emergencies, I live in a rural area but I don't feel I need a cell phone 'just in case'.

No one is implying you would ignore people you are with to talk to someone on the phone.

Dawn

We don't have a cell, and I rarely answer the land line unless it is one of my kids. I just don't like talking on the phone and I don't encourage people to call me. I'd rather talk face to face. I don't understand the fascination of talking to someone on a phone or by text rather than the people one is actually with. As for emergencies, I live in a rural area but I don't feel I need a cell phone 'just in case'.

I've survived many car breakdowns over the years without one, and count cell phones as a convenience rather that a necessity.

and I do not worry about breakdowns, etc. Like others here, I have had breakdowns, people always stop and offer help. A breakdown is inconvenient, it is not a nightmare.
For the most part, I agree. Then there's the time I got stranded in the middle of the night in a rural area. I was new to the area and made a wrong turn. When I realized I was on the wrong road I turned around only to get stuck in the muck on the side of the road. I had to walk a mile to house where nobody answered. 2 houses and several miles later I finally found a house where someone answered at 2 a.m. and helped me. For me, that was a nightmare and I got a car phone (it was 1993, so before cell phones as we know them now) after that.

I have a cell phone for several reasons now, but that is why I got one in the first place.

Honestly, I dislike the whole cell phone culture--everyone interrupting everyone else to see who called, take a call, text, etc.

:iagree:and am ashamed to admit, I am also guilty. I am working on it though.