Menu

What grammar curriculum do you like best?

Angiegal

I have a son that just turned 10 - speech delay, dyslexic, struggling with spelling and writing in particular. We finished BJU English 2 last year. I have started WWE level 1 but it is too easy. I'm going to go up to level 2 and go double speed. We are also doing AAS 2 now.

My son who just turned 8 is advanced with spelling, but has not done much with writing yet either. He finished BJU English 2 last year as well.

I like the easy approach to WWE. They love listening to the passages, etc. I guess I should just jump in with FLL. I have started, but the first two levels seem too easy I was planning to start with level 3, but before I bought it I did some more research. It seemed like so many more people liked rod and staff better. I got confused as to what to do.

I have two other children 5 & 1. So my time is somewhat limited. I keep picking curriculum that is very instructor intensive (Rightstart math, AAS, WWE, Teaching my 5 year old to ad, etc.)

Does this information help?

:iagree: I want to go back to FLL but Miss Muffet is not having any of that :glare:

I thought I could maybe do FLL 2 with dd 8yo and 6yo together but when I mentioned it to my 8yo she wasn't thrilled. I spent a bit of time looking at the Level 2 samples tonight and I'm not sure...I don't want the poetry memorization (we're doing something else) or the copywork (enough in WWE and ARFH).

I originally was doing GWG and it "clicks" with my daughter b/c she is a natural with Language Arts. I also purchased FLL and was starting that. I did test 2 on GWG3 with DS and he bombed it! Even missing subject, predicate and what verbs are :rolleyes:. I decided to drop GWG for him and stick with FLL. They both do FLL3 together and they both like interacting with me. It's usually pretty quick and painless. My ds is an audio learner. When he was doing GWG he was just looking at the examples to answer the questions without really understanding what it was teaching. If we weren't already liking FLL, I would have started going over the lesson verbally with him.

DD still loves GWG2 and she had the option to drop it but said she would do it at the end of the school day LOL. They both really like FLL3.

Sorry for rambling... You could probably make any program work. It is nice that GWG has tests so you can see if they are getting the concepts.

We're using Rod and Staff, and I really like it. It's fairly quick, gentle, and you can easily skip the non-grammar lessons. I do stick with going over the assignment orally, often, just because my son does enough writing elsewhere in his day. (Plus, I sometimes do odds or evens, or only the questions that make sense considering our homeschool setting, or only one of the two exercises given, etc.) But if you decided to fall on the "not enough time" side of things instead of the "my child has been writing too much today," then you can certainly assign them the assignments. I've done that a time or two--there's no better way to pound some kinds of rules into a child's head then making them spend the time needed to sweat them out in ink.

As caveats to some things I said in the last paragraph: we are in the first book, R&S English 2. Apparently they get more difficult later on. (Of course, later on, your children will presumably be literate enough to read and write things on their own.) Also, the last section of the book is on dictionary usage, and so forth, and I'm going to do that even though it isn't strictly "grammar," because that content isn't really covered elsewhere in our school lessons.

If you do decide on using R&S English 2, don't worry too much about the instructor's manual. It's one of those where the lessons are so easy that you really don't need it. (I have it, because I bought used at the local homeschool resale shop, but I only use it when my son has had enough of sitting next to me on the couch, and would rather sit across from me on the other couch.)

I am never going to be using R&S English as my composition component--there's just not enough there. Right now, we're sticking with WWE, which is working just fine for my son, much though he's beginning to resent "summarizing."

I have a son that just turned 10 - speech delay, dyslexic, struggling with spelling and writing in particular. We finished BJU English 2 last year. I have started WWE level 1 but it is too easy. I'm going to go up to level 2 and go double speed. We are also doing AAS 2 now.

My son who just turned 8 is advanced with spelling, but has not done much with writing yet either. He finished BJU English 2 last year as well.

I like the easy approach to WWE. They love listening to the passages, etc. I guess I should just jump in with FLL. I have started, but the first two levels seem too easy I was planning to start with level 3, but before I bought it I did some more research. It seemed like so many more people liked rod and staff better. I got confused as to what to do.

I have two other children 5 & 1. So my time is somewhat limited. I keep picking curriculum that is very instructor intensive (Rightstart math, AAS, WWE, Teaching my 5 year old to ad, etc.)

Does this information help?

My 12 yo is dyslexic and we are using WWE and FLL. We used R&S orally last year and Winston the year before. I really like FLL and there is plenty of review built into each lesson. The is some writing, but it isn't overwhelming. We plan to stick with it long term.

I have a question for the WWE and FLL lovers - my son REALLY struggles to learn anything auditory. He has all types of auditory processing issues.

We tried a few lessons in FLL, and although I love it - he got nothing out of it. My question is: how do you make it work with a boy who has auditory processing issues (and hates to write)?

I have a question for the WWE and FLL lovers - my son REALLY struggles to learn anything auditory. He has all types of auditory processing issues.

We tried a few lessons in FLL, and although I love it - he got nothing out of it. My question is: how do you make it work with a boy who has auditory processing issues (and hates to write)?

I'm not sure, so I'm bumping your question to see if anyone else has any suggestions. You may need to start a new thread if this gets buried.:)

:lurk5::lurk5:

My daughter has auditory processing issues as well. We use Phonics Road and this year it's just spelling, but I wonder how things will go as time goes by... I look forward to hearing the responses.

We are Rod & Staff users here. My oldest used Easy Grammar early on and it just wasn't meaty enough for me. We tried LLATL for a short, short time and found it way too gentle. I have used R&S 2, 4, 5, 6 and have 7. 2 starts out gentle and they continue learning little bits at a time. I like that. The curriculum is gentle in a way but meaty. Also, we skip the writing lessons with no problem (and use IEW).

I think level 2 is too easy for an 8 year old.

My vote is for FLL (3 or 4 depending on the student).

I figured that level 2 would be too easy for the 8yo but thought level 3 would be too hard for the 6yo and I'd like to do it together rather than taking on 2 new programs at this point. Also, level 2 is a lot cheaper - an "easier" investment for something that I'm trying out ;)

I'm pretty sold on WWE, however I'm stumped what to use for grammar (third grade).

What should we use, R&S, FLL or Growing with Grammar? Thoughts anyone?

I've used R&S 3-10 (many times) and FLL 1-4 (many times), and I have no experience at all with GWG. For third grade, I prefer FLL. My kids have loved it, too. If you like WWE, I think you'll be happy with FLL. They go very well together.

Edited by Luann in ID

I've used R&S 3-10 (many times) and FLL 1-4 (many times), and I have no experience at all with GWG. For third grade, I prefer FLL. My kids have loved it, too. If you like WWE, I think you'll be happy with FLL. They go very well together.

If using FLL and WWE together do you cut any of the copywork or anything?

What are you looking for in a grammar curriculum? Do you have a certain educational philosophy you follow? How does your child learn best?

I use Primary Language Lessons because I love the gentle CM approach. If you're planning to use WWE, you may well like FLL.

Did you use PLL with your older children as well? If so, are they on grade level with grammar?

Older ds did R&S English exclusively from the beginning when he was 5.5. So far he finished R&S 2, 3, and almost half of 4. He never complains and he likes the diagramming very much.

My young ds started FLL 1, 2 combo when he just turned 6. We finished it in 9 months. Then we transited to R&S 2 to review and learn more. He likes R&S English MUCH more. He willingly writes things i ask him to write and he is eager to show his sentences to me. He doesn't retain well with FLL. He loves to be able to see the book and read the sentences for oral or written exercises in R&S. So I will stick with R&S English.

We will use IEW soon for both boys.

So please give R&S English some consideration before you settle with any other grammar program. It might just fit you and/or your dc's learning style.

I forgot to mention that both boys are doing WWE, too. Younger just finished WWE 1 with much success and older has done 2/3 of WWE 3.

Also, lots of people do R&S grammar orally on a white board with their dc, so it is not necessary to write anything. You can choose a very small amount for the dc to do on a notebook, which is what I do with both dc. They do a third of the written practice, which is not too much. I also use a plastic sheet for them to write right on over the page so that unnecessary writing is eliminated and it is always fun to use a dry erase marker for a change.

Edited by aomom

When I first started homeschooling I loved FLL 1/2. I loved how easy the lessons where, and all the poems that my kids memorized. Currently we are using Growing with Grammar and really liking it. I have not seen them have any problems with retention, and at this age I am not expecting mastery of grammar. I am introducing them to these concepts, and creating pegs to hang more grammar knowledge on later. I find it really easy to teach, and effective. I sit with my kids and discuss the lesson while they are doing it.

My oldest (dd 8) is NOT an auditory learner - so I quit FLL after level 2 for GWG3 - which is working great, and plan to finish quickly and to MCT -ISland next. She likes WWE, we are finishing up 2 and starting 3.

My ds6 is an auditory learner, and he does very well with FLL1 (is too easy, we can easily do 2 lessons), but he is not big on writing. We'll what happens when we start WW1.

I did not see yet problems with retention in GWG - she does well on her tests.

The kids get memory work done with CC.