Menu

Weird career crisis here...

I've been humming along just fine. People rave about my desserts. My part-time dessert business could easily be full time, but I sort of actively discourage new business because I just don't have the hours in my day to do more. I enjoyed knowing that what I was producing was comparable or far exceeded anything else within about 70 miles. I was feeling confident that I was finally charging the right prices, so that I could make around $15 per hour. Not a lot, but enough.

Now I've found out that there's a baker in the area who started a business last year.

She's great. Better than great. Her stuff looks amazing, blows me off my feet, and I cannot do anything as well as her stuff is done. It's beautiful, and perfect.

She charges only slightly more than I do.

I would not order stuff from me, now that I know she's there. :001_huh:

I haven't lost any customers, and doubt that I will. People are extremely complimentary about everything I've made . It's just that now I know someone else is better at my job than I am, and I feel like I'm doing my customers a disservice. They don't know that, obviously, but I do. I now feel...embarrassed about the quality of my work. My skills are inferior. :sad:

We could get by just fine without the small amount that I make. All of a sudden I just don't want to do this any more.

How strange am I? :001_unsure:

You know that you are your worst critic right? I quilt and I know every flaw in my quilt, but outsiders only see the beauty. So just forget she exisits and do what you love. My best birthday cake taste wise was probably the shipwreck...I should have frozen the cake before trying to make it into the ship...my kid didn't care but we still laugh about it and say that it got blown up by pirates. :lol:

Maybe she's a really bad businessperson and no one will want to do business with her. Maybe her stuff is prettier, but yours tastes better.

I don't think so...her online reviews are wonderfully complimentary about the taste of her desserts, and all of them mention that she's a sweetheart to work with. I am very confident that I will not lose business, I'm just feeling really embarrassed now about turning out inferior stuff.

Edited by Julie in CA

Aww don't do that to yourself. Each of you are going to have unique talents and places where you excel and the other doesn't. If your customers are happy that is what matters. Work on getting better for sure but don't compare yourself to others :)

Well, there are a few ways to look at this.

One, if you really feel inferior, is to upgrade your skills.

Two, she's got her business, you've got yours. Look at it as a competition with *yourself*, not anyone else.

Three, nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. Great Eleanor Roosevelt quote. ;)

:grouphug: I'm sorry you're feeling so down.

Businesses aren't one-dimensional. Maybe hers do look better, and maybe her skills are superior to yours. That's all just one part of the package either of you offer. What do you bring to the table that she doesn't? I'm sure there is plenty, and once this initial funk of intimidation passes you need to focus your energy there.

You are a talented woman who seems to be very well-liked (and established ;)) in your community. For all you know, this could be a passing fancy for her, in which she soon realizes she's not earning enough to be worth her investment of time and resources. (Maybe she desires a full-time income as opposed to your part-time income.) In that case, you'd be doing your existing customers a bigger disservice by yielding to the new, fleeting baker in town!

FWIW I always buy the Charlie Brown christmas tree. I could find a perfect one, but I like the ones with character ... and it so happens that the ones with character are always found by a local vendor, not the big box stores, and I really like this guy. He gives to the community and is a presence here, and -to me- that counts for something. It's the beauty of small-town, semi-rural living.

Julie, It sounds like you have a ton of repeat business and referrals. So people like your work a great deal. That's really all that matters. I'm sure that there is enough room for two good bakers in the same general vicinity. I've seen your descriptions often enough to wish that you lived nearby so I could buy from you.

At some point when you have a small business, the customer work becomes personal. Since I 'know' you, if I moved near you I would seek out your menu, because I am familiar with you and believe that you would give me a good value and reliable service and great food. The fact that there is someone nearby who you yourself think might be a little better would not make me want to go find her. I would still come to you, because you're you!

It happens that I have a business that sometimes has occasion to hire caterers. And I know two really good ones, both of whom are connected with me (but not with each other) as friendly acquaintances. This is a bit harder. Sometimes I hire one and sometimes the other. They each have their pros and cons, and they are each reliable, effective, and reasonable (though on the high side) in cost. I want to support both of them. They are not identical, and I have certain circumstances where I would hire each of them over the other, for various reasons.

Unless and until your clients start feeling that way about you and this other person, don't worry about it. Do your own best job and let the chips fall where they may.

You were turning business away. Now you have someone to take up your slack!

I understand your feelings :grouphug: but really, you see flaws in your work that others do not see. Probably no one else can tell the difference between you two, and she might say that you can do stuff she can't do! If she's better and you feel outclassed, then improve your skills.

So, not knowing much about how long i takes to make these fancy yummy delicacies, do you think she might have to take a lot longer to do what she does since she is just starting out? Maybe YOU are ahead of the game because you have been at it successfully for awhile and know the time investment you are making. I can think of lots of 'maybes; ;) for you! Frankly, just walk away from this comparison thing because it is a time and ego killer. Your work is proven and your customers are happy. No need to compete, right?

I was talking to a lady in my soap booth, and she suddenly said, "Honey, I hope you know I'm your competition!"

I asked her what her business name was, and when she told me, I said that I had looked up her website, and saw that she made beautiful quality soaps using only essential oils, and I was thrilled, because every time a customer uses great handmade soaps, it just expands the market for all of us.

She grabbed me in the biggest hug and said, "I think I love you!"

Your companies could really complement each other instead of competing.

I'd go make her my new best friend.

Thanks for sharing! Is that yours? I haven't made a wedding cake yet, but I dream of it nearly every minute of the day... I want to try one soon, but want to do one with actual cake (not styrofoam dummies) to get the hang of stacking & all. Only problem is, that's a lot of cake to eat! Hmmm... I wonder if I could make one and do some kind of bakery open house or...

There is definitely always room for more bakeries! Especially if you were getting more business than you could handle! Leave it up to the customers! I'd be so sad if our favorite cake place shut down... even though there are others turning out cakes just as cute and yummy as theirs! But, I know I can count on our favorite place to make something we will like!

Besides, how do you know people don't like the taste of your stuff better? Isn't taste preference sorta specific to the person?

I want to try one soon, but want to do one with actual cake (not styrofoam dummies) to get the hang of stacking & all.

Since the procedure for stacking a cake is essentially the same regardless of the size of the tiers, you could start out small, and try stacking small cakes, perhaps a 6 & an 8. Really, it's something you want to be proficient with before you're asked to do it for someone's big day. After you're finished practicing, you can "unstack" the cakes and get a little bit of practice with doing that, since you may be asked to serve one of your cakes at a wedding. After that, you might want to touch up the cakes and deliver them as freebies to a couple of local businesses, along with your business cards. Be sure to include cheap paper plates and plastic forks.

I have no idea what kind of cakes you or she makes. I just want to agree that even if you think her cakes taste better, doesn't mean your customers will. For example, I like buttercream frosting better than whipped cream frosting. At one point, in one area I lived, whipped cream frosting became THE THING. So what, I still wanted butter cream. Obviously others wanted whipped cream. There was enough business for both. I was still able to find places to get me birthday cakes for my kids with buttercream (except for my middle who really was only happy with her cakes when we lived in Belgium and could have cakes with no icing at all ((thinks like fruit tarts come to mind)) ).

If you want to improve, do so if it really is a matter of her having a better technique. But if the difference is more like what I said above, I wouldn't change a thing. Some people like cakes one way, and others like them another way.

All other arguments aside, how about just kicking your work up a notch? Someone is ALWAYS going to be better than we are, but nothing is stopping us from staying at the place we're at.

:iagree: Having stiff competition can be a blessing. You can work at improving your game and offering a better product.

Taste is absolutely subjective! I love that food show Chopped. There are three judges, and sometimes they ask each other, "Are we talking about the same dish here?" And these are the alleged experts.

If YOU like her desserts better, find out what you like and use it to improve your own style. But for heaven's sake, don't decide for others who they should buy from, that's individual to each person. If someone I bought from stopped selling because THEY thought someone else was better, I would think, "Well, I guess my opinion doesn't matter!"