Menu

7 year old boy--toys?

My son has been doing a lot of reading. Today I mentioned that I loved to read when I was his age. He then said, "Is that because all your toys weren't fun anymore?" Ugh. What do 7 year old boys like to play with? He likes games but his brother doesn't so that's limited to when some adult will play with him. I'm looking for Christmas ideas.

Mine just turned 7 and he got a few things he just loved: a real set of walkie-talkies, not the toy ones. They were about $40 I think. He also got and loved Snap Circuits. I also got the large gray baseplate for Lego and adhered it to the Lack side table from Ikea to make him his own Lego table. That was a huge hit.

Oh, he also recently got a real set of tools. The only item I thought was dangerous that I removed was the wire cutters, but he will often get his little set (it's in it's own tool bag) when helping his dad with stuff. It has a light hammer, screwdrivers, tape measure, etc.

My oldest likes:

Knex, Lego, Zoob, Snap Circuits, ripping things apart to see how they work :lol: Pretty much any building toy is a hit, but I am trying not to add any new "systems" if you know what I mean.

He still plays with toy trucks, cars, etc.

Nerf is big.

He wants a bow but that's not happening right now.

He loves books. He bought himself a Nook (e-ink) and uses it daily to read lots of stuff from the public domain.

He'd like a wii or a DS. I'm not sure I'm ready to go there.

I'm kind of struggling w/ Christmas ideas for him the things he's naming are things I'm not sure I am ready for (DS, Wii, and the bow).

eta: DS bought himself walkie talkies one year and really gets a lot of use out of them. His are "real" and not toys...the toy ones are junk usually. He also likes tools like the PP's child. Funny how similar 7 yo boys tend to be, LOL. He rides his bike a ton (we just upgraded to a 20 inch model).

Edited by Momof3littles

walkie-talkies, not the toy ones

a real set of tools

:iagree: These are also big loves for my ds8 (since he was 7 :D).

His absolute favorite toys are Legos and wooden unit blocks. All my kids could play blocks all day, along with the Schleich animals and people someone else mentioned.

At this age, I find ds seems to be moving more into hobbies. Some things that have been big hits and, more importantly, are gifts that keep on giving:

a guitar and lessons

real tool kit with books and a wood stash (He has loved woodworking projects and will likely get a Dremel this year for Christmas--to use with supervision, and he is closer to 9 now. Anyway, the real tool kit started a hobby and that was my point. :D)

a science center outfitted with books and supplies (this was for all the kids)

baseball glove, balls, bat and throwdown bases (or bike/scooter, soccer goals and ball, basketball hoop and balls)

weaving frame and yarn (it was actually dd's gift but ds8 loves it more :lol:)

charcoal and drawing sets with lots of paper and how-to books

tons of PVC and fittings (This was another one for all the kids and it was a huge hit this summer. They have built sprinklers, showers, car washes, a playhouse, tunnels, a puppet theatre... You name it, they've built it!)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

He then said, "Is that because all your toys weren't fun anymore?"

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd buy him books.

My 6 and 8 y.o. boys love swords, ping-pong balls and cups (there's a boxed game...Cuponk?), Legos, Bakugan, binoculars, Keva planks, a hand drum. And sticks and rocks, lol, but I can't very well wrap those up and put them under the tree!

Cat

what tool set and books does he have? I've been looking at ones for my boys. and when you say a stash of wood- what exactly do you buy? sizes/shapes/thicknesses etc? I do not come from a carpentry or handy type family, but I want to encourage it in my kids. And I think it will be fun! And who cuts the wood? (with what?)

such timing! I was just thinking of this last night for my one ds, and he asks me today for it for his upcoming bday!

My boys are very science-minded, and aside from Legos (which is their OBSESSION), they like snap-circuits, those 'green energy' science kits (can't recall the brand) that they sell at the hobby stores, and action figures.

Since we're 'playing' with SOTW 1 the past few weeks, they are now interested in pyramids, mummies, etc. :001_smile:

Carpentry for Children and Housebuilding for Children are two books which have been very inspiring for DS8 (he got them at age 6 or 7). He built a toolbox for his tools and has almost finished the workbench. These were first published some time ago, so all the recommended tools are handtools (no power drill, etc.). I found an old hand drill at a thrift store, which works great with new bits and allows him to be independent with the tools.

Lumber yards sometimes have scrap bins from which you can pick out lots of free wood.

I hope I'm not threadjacking. Does anyone have a child this age that whittles? DS1 has expressed an interest. He's a careful kid for a 7.5 yo boy. I know Waldorf schools introduce this fairly young, and I've seen whittling tools and blocks at craft stores like Michaels.

I've been eyeing some soap carving kits/books on amazon that look like a good starting point.

This book/author has good explanations. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Whittling-Chris-Lubkemann/dp/1565232747/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1AFVL03YAD89Y&colid=15HT9G6SB030D

HTH!

ETA: There is at least one old thread about carving/whittling, which is where I got the soap carving idea.

I've been eyeing some soap carving kits/books on amazon that look like a good starting point.

This book/author has good explanations. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Whittling-Chris-Lubkemann/dp/1565232747/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1AFVL03YAD89Y&colid=15HT9G6SB030D

HTH!

ETA: There is at least one old thread about carving/whittling, which is where I got the soap carving idea.

Awesome. Thanks so much, and sorry for the threadjack. :001_unsure:

what tool set and books does he have? I've been looking at ones for my boys. and when you say a stash of wood- what exactly do you buy? sizes/shapes/thicknesses etc? I do not come from a carpentry or handy type family, but I want to encourage it in my kids. And I think it will be fun! And who cuts the wood? (with what?)

such timing! I was just thinking of this last night for my one ds, and he asks me today for it for his upcoming bday!

This is a lot like the one DH got for DS. He also got him one of those build and grow sets, like to build a birdhouse, but they fall apart so easily. You can ask at Lowes or Home Depot for scrap wood. Mostly we have a bunch and DH keeps pieces for DS to use for this kind of thing. Really, he uses his little tool kit when he's helping DH, like DH will say "now I need a Phillips head screwdriver" and DS gets it for him from his own set. DH let's him really use the tools when he can in helping around with small projects.

My dad actually purchased the tool set and I don't know where he got it. It's a smallish real toolbox he loaded up with Stanley tools. He hand picked the tools and bought the smallest size of everything but still real. When you've got a small kid swinging a hammer, you want it to be heavy enough to sink the nail but not so heavy he can't do it repeatedly. Plus, heavy hammers make for poor aim. I would recommend building a set this way, as it has worked out well for ds.

Carpentry for Children and Housebuilding for Children are two books which have been very inspiring for DS8 (he got them at age 6 or 7). He built a toolbox for his tools and has almost finished the workbench. These were first published some time ago, so all the recommended tools are handtools (no power drill, etc.). I found an old hand drill at a thrift store, which works great with new bits and allows him to be independent with the tools.

Lumber yards sometimes have scrap bins from which you can pick out lots of free wood.

Yes. That's a book we love here. We also have Woodshop for Kids (which is good but the instructions aren't always the best) and Woodworking (my personal favorite and this whole series is great). A hand drill is important. My dad got ds this one and it has worked out well.

As far as what size and thickness of wood, you want all kinds. Lowe's, Home Depot and our neighborhood Ace Hardware will sometimes give you scraps if you ask. Hobby Lobby is a great place to pick up little pieces and dowels.

HTH!

That's our favorite too. We also like Carving for Kids.

Another thing I want to highly recommend is Steve Caney's Ultimate Building Book. In fact, if I could only pick one project book for DS8, this would be it. The book could be used as a door stop, it's so big. He has an entire chapter devoted to gathering materials. It is a ridiculous bummer that they don't have a look inside feature for this book. It's the perfect thing for outfitting a tinkering studio for kids.

My son has been doing a lot of reading. Today I mentioned that I loved to read when I was his age. He then said, "Is that because all your toys weren't fun anymore?" Ugh. What do 7 year old boys like to play with? He likes games but his brother doesn't so that's limited to when some adult will play with him. I'm looking for Christmas ideas.

my youngest is 6 1/2, and I have two older sons.

lego. rokenbok. lego. magnets. lego. playdough. lego. cars (maybe, not so much). lego. pogostick. lego. bike. lego. he likes to draw battleships on a dry-erase board I got for school.

did I say lego?

My 8yo loves bionicles, bakugan, nerf guns/weapons, pokemon, legos, magnetix. Heck. His favorites are the big empty boxes Dad brings home from work and empty yogurt (generic) cups we wash out and save for stacking and making big creations with.

I would recommend some of the smaller bionicles. The big ones get complicated and difficult to build. They are called Hero Factory right now. My boys explain them as "legos that don't break apart easily if you drop them."

Lego

K'nex

Playmobil

My 8yo ds is moving away from play and toward hobbies. He reads a lot, likes to play video games (I wish I'd never brought the darn thing into the house--we have to limit his screen time), and plays with the above listed toys. We also have an assortment of swords and guns that get a lot of use, but less in "play" and more in the physical release of running and jumping and whacking, if you get my meaning.

Ds also likes the Bionicles mentioned above.

He said to me the other day, "Mom, I think I am growing up! I don't like to play Superman anymore." :sad:

I hope I'm not threadjacking. Does anyone have a child this age that whittles? DS1 has expressed an interest. He's a careful kid for a 7.5 yo boy. I know Waldorf schools introduce this fairly young, and I've seen whittling tools and blocks at craft stores like Michaels.

My young 6yo whittles with his own knife. My sister and I did the same when we were 5+. No one lost a finger. ;)

My 7 yo doesn't seem to spend much time w/ any toys. He used to play with his legos a lot but doesn't hardly anymore. I got Snap Circuits which he loved at first and hardly touches now. He wanted a Pogo stick for a year but has hardly touched it. He always asks for robots but got some for his b-day and I haven't seen them since a week after he got them. Generally he likes to just play outside, listen to audiobooks, play games on the comp or watch anime(would do that a lot more if I let him). He loves climbing around outside. I don't think the answer is a certain toy, I think he needs a hobby! I had planned to introduce whittling and need to get on that. He did like to draw but now doesn't hardly want to. All of that being said he isn't malcontent, he is a happy kid, so I don't worry much.