Menu

Have you ever been accused of being a snob?

Because you homeschool? I visit another board where homeschooling is a little uncommon and people still look askance at it. I've seen the charge leveled several times that homeschoolers "think their kid is too good for public school." I hope they feel the same way about private schoolers. :tongue_smilie:

But seriously - if you know a well is contaminated and you don't drink from it or let your family drink from it, are you really a snob for avoiding it? :confused:

No. I taught in ps for years. I am an advocate for every kid having the best education that they can. I think every parent would say the same. What is best for my kid may not be best for yours. No judgement from me though...

I work hard to make sure that my kids are NOT homeschool snobs, to the extent of not having them participate in exclusive homeschool sports, etc...

Anything that hints of "we are doing a better job than them", or "we care about our kids more than they do", or really any us vs them, REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

Not at all.

There are so many people here vying with each other as to who can afford the most expensive, exclusive private school, that I'm just regarded as quirky. Sadly most of them seem to think that just throwing money at a problem solves everything. They don't seem to be able to conceive of education as being something they could enjoy being actively involved in, something to share with their children.

I am a bit of a snob on a lot of things, deep down. I make sure I hide it well though :D.

Cassy

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I have been accused of being a snob in general, lol. I don't think I am at all. I live in an area that is deemed to be filled with the super rich/celebs and it's commonly called "Glitter Gulch". Sometimes, on other boards, I make offhand comments about the Secret Service stopping traffic or meeting Oprah or the paparrazi being a pain and it doesn't go over well. It's not bragging. It's my life!

So when you had the homeschooling into the mix, I know for a fact people think it. Oh well.. thats their problem!

Because you homeschool? I visit another board where homeschooling is a little uncommon and people still look askance at it. I've seen the charge leveled several times that homeschoolers "think their kid is too good for public school." I hope they feel the same way about private schoolers. :tongue_smilie:

But seriously - if you know a well is contaminated and you don't drink from it or let your family drink from it, are you really a snob for avoiding it? :confused:

Yes. A family member whose children went to XYZ "WONDERFUL elementary school" took it quite personally when I decided to homeschool. (My kids would have gone to the same school.) There was definitely a hands-on-hips, "What do you mean, you don't want them at XYZ? It was good enough for MY kids!"

On the whole though, I really don't give a rat's hindquarters what people think about my motives anymore. One of the advantages of having done this for 9 years now and being old enough to have mileage on my choices. :D

Yes, but not for homeschooling. I'm rather shy and tend to be more of an observer in social situations. Apparantly that makes me a snob. :001_huh:

Me too. My whole life I have had people tell me they thought I was a b*tch until they get to know me. I am super shy and don't talk to people that I don't know very well but once I'm comfortable with them I will talk their ear off :)

Yes, once, but it wasn't to do with homeschooling; it was to do with choosing where to live. I said that my ideal place to live would be out in the country, either in a village or completely out, alone. The person I was talking with said that I was a snob for preferring the country to a council estate. :confused: My opinion was based on where I love to be; it had nothing to do with social demographic. There are weirdos everywhere. And we're actually okay where we are at the moment.. right by a huge council estate. :D

The accusation was made by someone who has lived in "nice" places all their life - a farm, followed by two houses, consecutively, in rather nice areas of towns. So I didn't take it too seriously!! :lol:

Yes, once, but it wasn't to do with homeschooling; it was to do with choosing where to live. I said that my ideal place to live would be out in the country, either in a village or completely out, alone. The person I was talking with said that I was a snob for preferring the country to a council estate. :confused: My opinion was based on where I love to be; it had nothing to do with social demographic. There are weirdos everywhere. And we're actually okay where we are at the moment.. right by a huge council estate. :D

The accusation was made by someone who has lived in "nice" places all their life - a farm, followed by two houses, consecutively, in rather nice areas of towns. So I didn't take it too seriously!! :lol:

Hi-jack. Could you explain what a council estate is? I've seen this in some of my British murder cozies. Is it what we call "Low income housing" (ie. govt. subsidized housing?) A gated community? A neighborhood with an HOA?

Hi-jack. Could you explain what a council estate is? I've seen this in some of my British murder cozies. Is it what we call "Low income housing" (ie. govt. subsidized housing?) A gated community? A neighborhood with an HOA?

Okay.. a council estate is an area of housing built by the council, and then rented out to low-income families. The houses tend to be of poor quality, but the old ones (c1950s-1980s) were quite big by British standards, and had decent sized yards. Of late, councils have introduced the "let to buy" scheme, where council renters can, over time, pay their downpayment as rent on the house, and once they've paid enough, the arrangement becomes a mortgage with a regular mortgage lender (the council hands over the finances to a lender). So today, a council estate is a mix of rented and owned houses. I think it's true to say that in addition to low-income families, there is a higher percentage of single parents and people receiving benefits.

We've moved 8 times now, and one of those houses was on a council estate; also, we are now living right by one of the biggest and most notorious council estates in the county, and yet these are a friendliest places I've ever lived. IME, people are most willing to stop and chat, you get to know them, and then feel that you can ask for help if you're really stuck. Other places we've lived - villages, and one house in a city - we were never able to get to know anyone properly, because people kept themselves to themselves. Also, our children play out with a lot of other kids in the cul-de-sac in the same way they did on the last council estate we lived on. Sure, these places have their issues, but I've found a lot to like about them too.

Probably more info than you wanted.. but I'm in a rambly mood this evening! :001_smile:

Edited by Hedgehog
Spelling!

Okay.. a council estate is an area of housing built by the council, and then rented out to low-income families. The houses tend to be of poor quality, but the old ones (c1950s-1980s) were quite big by British standards, and had decent sized yards. Of late, councils have introduced the "let to buy" scheme, where council renters can, over time, pay their downpayment as rent on the house, and once they've paid enough, the arrangement becomes a mortgage with a regular mortgage lender (the council hands over the finances to a lender). So today, a council estate is a mix of rented and owned houses. I think it's true to say that in addition to low-income families, there is a higher percentage of single parents and people receiving benefits.

We've moved 8 times now, and one of those houses was on a council estate; we are now living right by one of the biggest and most notorious council estates in the county, and yet these are a friendliest places I've ever lived. IME, people are most willing to stop and chat, you get to know them, and then feel that you can ask for help if you're really stuck. Other places we've lived - villages, and one house in a city - we were never able to get to know anyone properly, because people kept themselves to themselves. Also, our children play out with a lot of other kids in the cul-de-sac in the same way they did on the last council estate we lived on. Sure, these places have their issues, but I've found a lot to like about them too.

Probably more info than you wanted.. but I'm in a rambly mood this evening! :001_smile:

I love info. Thank you so much for explaining that. Now I can read my cozies knowledgeably!

Yes. I was accused of being "this much better than everyone else.". I just shrugged....what was I supposed to say. "Yes, you are right? ". :lol::001_huh::confused:

Seriously, people are weird.

Faithe

A friend of mine asked one of the parents of her DD's softball teammate not to smoke around the kids & the woman said, "What? You think you're better than all of us or something?" Friend said, "Umm. Not better.... just smarter. And maybe a better mom. Since I don't, you know, blow cancer-causing carcinogens at my children."

:lol:

I was accused of being a snob when I decided to take my dd's out a school that is considered the better of the city. Now I just agree with them and say...

Yes my girls are too good be be bullied, coat stolen in the middle of winter ( in kindergarten) stabbed in the back (with scissors in kindergarten!!!) and being taught just to pass a state test and the list goes on then YES!! I am a snob.:glare::tongue_smilie:

Yes. I have been called a snob for homeschooling. I have been called a snob for homeschooling classically (because unschoolers don't have the same opportunities to read that I do, evidently... ? I've never figured that one out)

Essentially, any time I have examined my ideals and adjusted our lives/household to get closer to them, someone (usually someone who floats along never examining anything at all) has played the snob card. Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural foods, homeschooling... "snob" or "elitist" comes out.

Once or twice, but probably worded a bit differently.

I heartily agree with the accusers and blame my heritage. Nobody in 4 generations in my family has been to public school. I homeschool partially in response to my perception of the failings of private/parochial schools. Public school isn't even in my realm*. So, that probably does make me snobby. :)

*Sorry, couldn't resist. :tongue_smilie:

No. I taught in ps for years. I am an advocate for every kid having the best education that they can. I think every parent would say the same. What is best for my kid may not be best for yours. No judgement from me though...

I work hard to make sure that my kids are NOT homeschool snobs, to the extent of not having them participate in exclusive homeschool sports, etc...

Anything that hints of "we are doing a better job than them", or "we care about our kids more than they do", or really any us vs them, REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

Heather, I am with you on this. My dh, on the other hand, is definitely a homeschool snob. It makes me crazy.

Once or twice, but probably worded a bit differently.

I don't think anyone has used the word outright, but it has been insinuated, FWIW, I don't think my kids are too good for all public schools, but definitely for the local ones. :D I would never volunteer that around here but would have no trouble saying it to a district employee if anyone pressed the issue.

Yes, but not for homeschooling. I'm rather shy and tend to be more of an observer in social situations. Apparantly that makes me a snob. :001_huh:

As a freshman in high school, I was accused of being a snob by a senior. Because I sat in my seat quietly instead of assuming a senior wanted to be my best buddy.:001_huh:

No, but all of my friends are big into the highschool prom, football game, social thing and can't let go of it. My girls are going to Hawaii instead of prom so nah.:tongue_smilie:

Yes, I've been accused of this for homeschooling. But, I really think it is other choices we make that are the real culprit. Even if our kids were in PS we wouldn't pay gobs of money for the prom, snowball dance, homecoming, class rings, etc. We'd still be the snobs. Our kids are pretty practical people, dd included, and they wouldn't want to participate in that social stuff. We do a lot of family travel, dd went to space camp, one of the boys will be taking part in a paleontological dig, one boy is going to Iceland with me, another will be attending physics camp, and we do the really geeky 4-H science stuff, competitive rocketry teams, etc. I have another friend whose children attend a Catholic k-8 school (excellent school by the way) and her 6th grader is on a competitive Lego Robotics team. She was called a snob at a school event by one of the moms and when she asked her why the woman said, "You make me feel weird. Your kids are on robotics teams and take equestrian/dressage riding lessons. It's not normal."

Anytime you go against the flow of the bulk of the local culture, I think you risk being seen as a snob. For whatever bizarre, psychological reason, it seems threatening to other parents' choices and is therefore condemned as snobbery or "I'm better than you".

I'm comfortable with it. I've never, ever been one to go with the crowd. When everyone else was buying gowns for prom, I was having a gown made for a performance with a small, community orchestra, or hanging out at Interlochen or Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp. Other children played outside; I played the piano! :D Snob was a normal moniker for me and so it rolls off my back like water off a duck these days.

Faith