Menu

Thrift Store Shopping....Ugh!

It was cool enough for long sleeves today and we discovered (after many tears and thrown clothing) that my daughter (6) has no winterish type clothing that still fits. It doesn't help that she has clothing sensitivities and refuses to wear anything *fitted* or *tight*.

We tried shirts first....no good

So then we decided to try pants.....nada.....

(and she is a typical 6 year old, not petite but not overweight either)

Mini-Rant: I'm so tired of the low cut/tight fit style of girl clothes being manufactured now....(please explain to me why a 6 year old needs low-rise anything??? Or a skin tight cami shirt???)

Clothes used to be sized so you could get more wear/years out them. Now they are so close fitted/tight you get one season if you are lucky.

So now I'm off to the thrift stores to find some long sleeved shirts and pants (boy's dept) that will have some wear in them.

I even bought some new clothes last year on clearance, for this year, a size larger...(I tend to do that every year to get more bang for the buck)..now all these *new* items are going into a donation bag, and I'm off to hunt for a full wardrobe bargain.

The Irony is she is *sized* according to a typical 6x/7. I sew her patchwork apron dresses in funky/fun artsy prints all the time and my patterns (which I buy) are based on standard children's measurements. But under these she wears long sleeved t-shirts and jeans or leggings. (She gets the girly look she wants with the rough and tumble ability all kids need...I call it bottom dollar boutique and more importantly she is comfortable)

But all the 6x/7 shirts/pants I have are impossibly small after washing just once, the size 8's are short on her trunk and only the 10/12 are loose and comfortable (not fitted), even though the arms are way too long. (If I put her in boy equivalents she's a standard 6/7..its the girl sizing that is crazy) I should mention all of these are 100% cotton, so some shrinkage is expected, but not like this.

Anyone else having this much trouble with girl clothing????

I'm off to hunt a bargain and hopefully score some winter clothing....Usually we go into winter needing to add more pieces, but never have I had to get EVERYTHING new (or in the case of thrift store shopping new to her..:tongue_smilie:)

...Clothes used to be sized so you could get more wear/years out them. Now they are so close fitted/tight you get one season if you are lucky....

No, I truly haven't run into that. In fact, if anything, it's hard for me to find clothing that's slim enough for my kids.

But I can certainly sympathize with the challenge of finding clothes that fit well, look nice, and are affordable.

Shopping for dd is pretty easy only because she refuses to wear jeans and I am glad. Her friends all wear jeans but every time we go to the store to try them on she complains that they are too low and she worries that her bum is hanging out. She is active though so she ends up wearing skirts with stretch pants underneath, they tend to last more than one season which is nice.

And I could not do without the thrift store, I refuse to pay full price for clothing, especially for dd since she is the only one that will wear the clothes.

If you can find the longer knit dresses from Land's End on ebay or in a consignment shop, I highly recommend them. They wear like iron and do not shrink, so many times children outgrow them while they still look good.

Maybe you could search for "lot size 7 Lands End girls dresses" - usually leaving the apostrophe's out helps because with the limited characters in the title, most sellers leave out as much punctuation as possible. Our pastor's wife gets them this way for her rough and tumble five year old gal who likes dresses but wants to seriously romp. They have long sleeved versions every winter. Sometimes when this little one outgrows them for length, her mother hems them to three quarter length sleeve so it doesn't look short in the arms and then aids a wide ruffle of quilt fabric. You could put pants under them or just maybe if they came with the matching leggings, your little one would try it because Lands End leggings are ubber comfortable...they use nice quality fabrics and very soft elastics.

Faith

This is one of the reasons I buy mainly european brands. They tend to be cut for kids rather than a sized down version of the adult cut.

I love Hanna Andersson leggings and tights (not super tight but they stay up and last). The shirts from Hanna and Boden also seem to be cut a bit longer and wider which my girls like (the Hannas are wider than Boden).

I've had very good luck with Lands' End & LL Bean. Both have frequent specials/sales. Sears stocks LE so you can try on if you live near a Sears. (LE runs very roomy. My 12 year old got a size 8 two piece tankini suit this summer since they were out of stock in the larger sizes. It wont fit next year of course, but putting that out there as an FYI.)

In the end, I prefer Boden, but it's more costly, with no free shipping and fewer sales. I've notice that both LE and LLBean will often have similar outfits: longer skirts, leggings, nice tights etc. I think Boden is of higher quality than most, in general, but certainly not 100% consistently. There tends to be less pilling, the cotton is nicer etc. I have not seen much I've liked recently wrt Hanna.

We recently attended a wedding so did find myself at the mall. There were some very nice items at both GAP and the Gymbo store for older kids. I was very discouraged by the high cost so didn't purchase anything. I ended up finding her a Laura Ashley dress at Savers for 5.99. Can't beat that.

Edited by LibraryLover

Tight camis are to wear under other tops. If they are tight, then they don't move or gap.

Somebody ought to clue in the 'tweens in my area because they wear them solo :glare:

I get disgusted when I see pairs of a 40something mom and a 'tween daughter running around town both dressed like a college co-ed out clubbing. :thumbdown:

Gymboree! My dd is 11, and now that she has outgrown Gymboreee I guess I have to break down and buy from land's end to stick with modest clothing.

:iagree:

And when I couldn't afford to buy new, I bought DD things on Ebay. I found great deals on Kelly's Kids outfits there, I remember, which were cute, comfortable, and wore like iron. I also shopped the Gymboree sale rack and the Lands End overstocks/clearance items. And Belk department stores (maybe just here in the South?) had a store brand for kids (J. Khaki, I think) that was great for basics - jeans, turtlenecks, sweaters, etc.

But overall, shopping for little girls is a giant pain in the behind. I can go into practically any store in the world and outfit my son in fifteen minutes. With my daughter, not so much. And now that she's old enough to have really strong opinions of her own, it's even harder. Thank goodness for school uniforms....

Good luck!

SBP

You might try www.hannaandersson.com for clothing sensitive kids. Their styles are European sized and mine always had years of wear from each size before we passed them down to cousins. Excellent quality and customer service were an added bonus for us; the resale value is pretty top notch too.

:iagree: My dd lived in Hannas when she was that age. And those clothes never wear out, fade or shrink. Gymboree, too. In fact, just skip any kind of regular store (Pennys, Sears, Macy's, Kohl's, etc.) that sells kids clothes. It's honestly a waste of time and an exercise in frustration. We only found decent clothing at specialty stores (Land's End, LL Bean) or from European manufacturers.

Edited by DianeW88

My daughter wore a lot of Gymboree jumper and dresseswith leggings at that age.

This is true for women's clothing too!! I tried to find a couple of shirts at Target the other day and ended up going to the men's section because everything was so sheer and tight!!

I recently had to purchase modest clothing for returning to work after many years at home. It was a nightmare.

I did score one pair of jeans at a thrift shop. They aren't for work, but get this: they actually have a real waist!

I get disgusted when I see pairs of a 40something mom and a 'tween daughter running around town both dressed like a college co-ed out clubbing. :thumbdown:

With matching fake tans, and cut-&-colored-to-match hairstyles. :glare: The kids look way too old for their ages, and the moms look like they're trying way too hard to re-live their long-lost teen years.

Looking great for your age is wonderful; trying to look your teen daughter's age is kind of pathetic, even if you're still gorgeous and in great shape.

Cat

Thanks for all the advice!!!

I managed to rock out some massively great finds while hitting 5 thrift stores and Target. (We live in a highly concentrated military area around here so there are lots, and I mean lots, of thrift stores due to so many people moving in and out)

(I found some adidas tracksuits my 6 year old gymnastic nut went gaga over...for $2 each..*score*)

I also found a few more long sleeved T's in various colors.

Ironically the jeans were so overpriced for used ($6 & $7 a pair...????) So I'm just going to wait for the next $10 OldNavy jean event (when they run this @ the same time as bonus bucks you can get jeans for $5 a pair and they do it 2-3 times a year) I did manage to find 1 pair of boys jeans for $4....She gonna be wearing alot of leggings this winter. (Target score of footless leggings, 5 colors all clearance priced at $1 each...I bought like 8 pairs..lol)

I've checked out some of the other web-based clothing sites... While I love the look, I just have so much trouble justifying $20-$30 for 1 item of clothing when I have no other mini-Monkeys to pass it down to. (If she had a younger sibling or even a younger cousin my thinking might be different) I know reselling is an option....but it is just not something I have the time for. (I'm still sitting on a box of Matilda Jane, Lipstick, & Little Mass Boutique stuff from before I started sewing Apron Dresses for her that I still haven't managed to get listed on ebay, and its been almost 2 years......) I recognize my shortcomings....and buying to resell is just not something I've ever followed through on.....

But thanks for all the advice...and I will be keeping my eye open for clearance sales at LLBean and LandsEnd. :grouphug:

So glad you were able to find something! When my girls were younger I always had a hard time shopping for them too.

Can you tell me more about the bonus bucks at Old Navy? I haven't heard of bonus bucks, how do you get them? I don't shop at Old Navy too often because (unlike Kohls) the sales people told me I can't return things after washing and I'm always worried about thing shrinking in the wash but I'd definitely buy jeans there.

Somebody ought to clue in the 'tweens in my area because they wear them solo :glare:

With matching fake tans, and cut-&-colored-to-match hairstyles. :glare: The kids look way too old for their ages, and the moms look like they're trying way too hard to re-live their long-lost teen years.

Looking great for your age is wonderful; trying to look your teen daughter's age is kind of pathetic, even if you're still gorgeous and in great shape.

Cat

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Can you tell me more about the bonus bucks at Old Navy? I haven't heard of bonus bucks, how do you get them? I don't shop at Old Navy too often because (unlike Kohls) the sales people told me I can't return things after washing and I'm always worried about thing shrinking in the wash but I'd definitely buy jeans there.

Its the same type promo alot of stores have, I've seen them advertised at gymboree, children's place and so forth. They tell you spend x amount and we'll give you y amount to spend later. These promotions are usually seasonal (think back to school, holidays, start to spring season)

Old navy runs (at least in my area) for every $20 you spend we'll give you $10 back to spend later. Usually in the form of a coupon good to spend several weeks in the future. When they run this promo @ the same time as the $10 jeans for family event (which they often do) I stock up. So I'll buy 10 pairs of jeans for $100, but get $50 back to spend later...Hence $50 for 10 pairs of Jeans , or $5 a pair. Now yes I know I only get the money back as credit, which I have to spend in their store, but there is always something I can use it for I would have needed to get anyway, like socks, underwear, pj's or even work clothes for the hubby (think polos/khakis), so its a win/win for me.

Not sure where you live, but it is Just Between Friends "season" here. I love to shop thrift stores too, but the bulk of my clothes shopping for my boys are at these twice-a-year consignment sales.

As a bonus, I too am a lapsed ebay seller, but I can usually get it together enough to sell stuff twice a year instead, so I've often made as much in sales as I spend on clothes/gifts for the boys. Win-win! :001_smile:

Here it seems that any high street cheaper brands will be inappropriate, cut as small as they can get away with, particularly in the length and be made of cheap fabric that shrinks and looks dreadful after a wash or two.

We end up buying from Boden a lot though I can only really afford it second hand. There is a brand called Keedo we like too, and Frugi for younger kids stuff. They are the sort of thing that I buy to sell on because it will fit well and still look nice enough that someone else will want it.

I make a lot of my kids clothes from 1980s patterns and the sizing difference is massively noticeable. There is plenty of room to grow into and they have sensible lengths and a more child like fit. They are the kind of clothing I grew up in.

My dd wears boys' jeans and has for several years. None of the girls' jeans fit her well (too low rise) and I usually buy her boys' shorts, too, because I have a very difficult time finding girls' shorts that are long enough. I think she should have at least a couple inches of fabric covering her behind, and we find either very short shorts or capris that go below the knee, hardly ever anything in-between.

Thanks for all the advice!!!

I managed to rock out some massively great finds while hitting 5 thrift stores and Target. (We live in a highly concentrated military area around here so there are lots, and I mean lots, of thrift stores due to so many people moving in and out)

(I found some adidas tracksuits my 6 year old gymnastic nut went gaga over...for $2 each..*score*)

I also found a few more long sleeved T's in various colors.

Ironically the jeans were so overpriced for used ($6 & $7 a pair...????) So I'm just going to wait for the next $10 OldNavy jean event (when they run this @ the same time as bonus bucks you can get jeans for $5 a pair and they do it 2-3 times a year) I did manage to find 1 pair of boys jeans for $4....She gonna be wearing alot of leggings this winter. (Target score of footless leggings, 5 colors all clearance priced at $1 each...I bought like 8 pairs..lol)

I've checked out some of the other web-based clothing sites... While I love the look, I just have so much trouble justifying $20-$30 for 1 item of clothing when I have no other mini-Monkeys to pass it down to. (If she had a younger sibling or even a younger cousin my thinking might be different) I know reselling is an option....but it is just not something I have the time for. (I'm still sitting on a box of Matilda Jane, Lipstick, & Little Mass Boutique stuff from before I started sewing Apron Dresses for her that I still haven't managed to get listed on ebay, and its been almost 2 years......) I recognize my shortcomings....and buying to resell is just not something I've ever followed through on.....

But thanks for all the advice...and I will be keeping my eye open for clearance sales at LLBean and LandsEnd. :grouphug:

I'd think twice about Old Navy jeans. They are in our experience (I have boys) the very worst for long lasting wear. Their shirts are okay.