Menu

Un-freak me out please.

I'm 35 weeks along and had an ultrasound today. They are monitoring me often to make sure the amniotic fluid doesn't get too low since that happened with both of my other children. But anyways, they said the baby is in the 88th percentile and already weighs 6 pounds, 11 oz. :001_huh::001_huh:

I'm freaked out! I still have four more weeks to go (they said they would induce me at 39 weeks since I live quite far from the hospital and it's my 3rd baby). I'm seriously freaked about having some 10 pound baby or something.

I was diagnosed at 22 weeks with borderline gestational diabetes. The midwife took it seriously and told me that I needed to go on the diabetic diet. The actual doctor took it less seriously and told me that I wasn't diabetic and didn't need to worry about it. Well, I've been doing the diabetic diet since 22 weeks, watching my carbs, taking my blood sugar. But since the doctor didn't think it was a huge deal, I allowed myself one splurge per week. Just one. And afterward my 2 hour numbers would be about 145 or 150. So about 25 to 30 points high (should be under 120 at 2 hours after eating).

Now I'm scared that these splurges have caused the baby to grow bigger. My mom said she didn't think that one high number a week would cause it. But I don't know. I just know that I don't want a c-section.

And I do know that ultrasound can be a pound or two off. But it's still scary to hear that at 35 weeks I already have a 6 pound, 11 ounce baby. :001_huh:

1. Late ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate on size estimates. There is up to a 2 lb margin of error.

2. The low amniotic fluid can actually skew the measurements of the u/s.

3. Even if your baby is 6 lbs now, growth of the fetus greatly slows down in the last 3-4 weeks of pregnancy.

Not everyone who has a 10lb baby has a c/s. In fact, most have uneventful vaginal deliveries. You obviously have an adequate pelvis. How big where your other girls?

Try not to freak!

BTW, how far do you live from the hospital? I'm just curious because I haven't ever heard of an elective induction for a mom who lives a certain distance from the hospital. No judgement, just wondering.

1. Late ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate on size estimates. There is up to a 2 lb margin of error.

3. Even if your baby is 6 lbs now, growth of the fetus greatly slows down in the last 3-4 weeks of pregnancy.

:iagree:

The baby they said was only 7 lbs. delivered two days later at 9 lbs. 4 oz. The baby they said weighed 10 lbs. delivered at 8 lbs. 1 oz. four days after the ultrasound.

Aelwydd is right. Breathe and relax.

Faith

With my first child (yes, FIRST!), I was told at my 41st week ultrasound (all first-borns are late in my family) that I had an 11, if not 12 pound baby in there! And we needed to induce right away....yada yada yada. I gave birth two days later (via c-section...as you'd expect when you induce a first-time Mom) to an 8 pound boy. Yes, they were off by HALF A BABY in their measurements.

Ultrasounds are notoriously unreliable for determining baby size later in pregnancy.

It's easy for me to say, but try not to worry about it. Do your exercises to prepare physically for birth, eat nutritiously and get some rest while you can.

:grouphug:

It's out of your hands, anyway, right?

Why do you think you would need a C-section?

They have no clue on the ultrasound of how big the baby is. Do YOU feel like the baby is much bigger than your others? Several studies have shown that the moms have a better idea of baby's size than the ultrasound does!! That is the truth. If you weren't worried before the ultrasound don't be now. Besides, any weight baby is putting on now is fat, and fat squishes. His head isn't going to double in size in the next few week, lol. My daughter was 9lb and born vaginally, and with only 8 hours of labor. My smaller baby, at under 8lbs, was born via c-section after 40 hours of labor. So big baby doesn't mean longer/harder labor, or a c-section! And my "big" baby didn't get to keep her big baby status very long, as my two friends each had bigger babies in the next week! One was 10lbs even and one WAS 10lbs 5oz. Both were born vaginally with no problems at all (all of us had homebirths).

As for the induction, please make sure the baby is in a good position and you have a good Bishop's score. If your body isn't ready for labor, and your pelvis hasn't spread, and the baby isn't in the best position, those are the things that will lead to a c-seciton, not size. Inducing, especially before 40 weeks greatly increases the risk of surgical birth. Baby size does not.

:iagree: I'd be very surprised if a splurge/150 once a week would make that kind of difference if your numbers were fine the rest of the time. We're having baby #3 and I measure in the middle of normal fundal height and from a 20 week us. With my other 2 girls I measured on the small side of normal and they were both 7lbs and 19 inches long. Since the beginning of this pregnancy I've gotten the feeling this baby will be bigger. Later you can tell me it will all be ok. :) I've met woman who had 10 and 11lb babies at home even.

Ultrasounds can be waaaaay off. And even if you do have a 10-lb. babe, you probably won't need a C-section. My 10.5 baby came out just fine, no C-section. :) I even went drug-free and went home 6 hours later. And, believe me, I am not Wonder Woman. It wasn't easy (OW!), but it was a medically easy birth with a strong healthy big baby.

Cat

Thanks so much everyone for your reassurance! I'm a little less freaked now that I've read all your stories about ultrasounds being off. I just hope that mine is off and baby is really smaller and not bigger LOL.

I don't currently have low fluid with this babe....at least not yet anyways. With my other two, the low fluid happened around 37 or 38 weeks.

Not everyone who has a 10lb baby has a c/s. In fact, most have uneventful vaginal deliveries. You obviously have an adequate pelvis. How big where your other girls?

Try not to freak!

BTW, how far do you live from the hospital? I'm just curious because I haven't ever heard of an elective induction for a mom who lives a certain distance from the hospital. No judgement, just wondering.

My first was 8 pounds, 5 oz (induced right on time). My second was 7 pounds, 7 ounces (induced 9 days early). But my first tore my cervix....yes, cervix. :001_huh: I'm hoping it was not due to how big she was, but just how she came out. That was really scary....hemorrhaged.

I live 45 minutes from the hospital with no traffic. If there's traffic, then there's no telling. And 3rd babies are usually quicker. And I have no idea what labor actually feels like since I've never actually gone into labor.

With my first child (yes, FIRST!), I was told at my 41st week ultrasound (all first-borns are late in my family) that I had an 11, if not 12 pound baby in there! And we needed to induce right away....yada yada yada. I gave birth two days later (via c-section...as you'd expect when you induce a first-time Mom) to an 8 pound boy. Yes, they were off by HALF A BABY in their measurements.

Wow, half a baby!!!! They were really off on that one!!!

Ultrasounds are notoriously unreliable for determining baby size later in pregnancy.

It's easy for me to say, but try not to worry about it. Do your exercises to prepare physically for birth, eat nutritiously and get some rest while you can.

It's out of your hands, anyway, right?

Why do you think you would need a C-section?

I dont know...I just figured bigger babies have bigger chances of c-sections. But I guess that's not always correct.

They have no clue on the ultrasound of how big the baby is. Do YOU feel like the baby is much bigger than your others? Several studies have shown that the moms have a better idea of baby's size than the ultrasound does!! That is the truth. If you weren't worried before the ultrasound don't be now. Besides, any weight baby is putting on now is fat, and fat squishes. His head isn't going to double in size in the next few week, lol. My daughter was 9lb and born vaginally, and with only 8 hours of labor. My smaller baby, at under 8lbs, was born via c-section after 40 hours of labor. So big baby doesn't mean longer/harder labor, or a c-section! And my "big" baby didn't get to keep her big baby status very long, as my two friends each had bigger babies in the next week! One was 10lbs even and one WAS 10lbs 5oz. Both were born vaginally with no problems at all (all of us had homebirths).

As for the induction, please make sure the baby is in a good position and you have a good Bishop's score. If your body isn't ready for labor, and your pelvis hasn't spread, and the baby isn't in the best position, those are the things that will lead to a c-seciton, not size. Inducing, especially before 40 weeks greatly increases the risk of surgical birth. Baby size does not.

I've always wondered if this baby is bigger....her movements are bigger and more uncomfortable than with my other two. But I've only gained about 15 pounds with this pregnancy....and when they weighed me at the doctor the other day, I had actually lost a few. :confused: Have no idea how that happened.

I've had two other inductions so they are all that I know. I'm comfortable with inductions. My doc is good about making sure the cervix is ripe before inducing.

Guest submarines

:iagree: :grouphug:

Guest submarines

I know how you're feeling.

u/s at 31 wks says baby is 4 lbs 8 oz. :001_huh: OB, whose reccommended by the VBAC assoc, started making noises about a csection.

I've lost weight too. Go figure.

I have another u/s at 35 wks. See how things are at that point.

I've given up freaking about it. No point, what'll happen will happen, and the last thing any pregnant momma needs is more stress.

My 3rd had low aminotic fluid at 37 weeks and my BP skyrocketed. They did a u/s at the hospital since my midwife could no longer delivr me and said she was about 6 1/2 lbs which was small...others were 7.9 1/2 and 8.12. She came out 5.2 and I was sure she had something wrong with her. So they were off over a lb.

And I do know that ultrasound can be a pound or two off. But it's still scary to hear that at 35 weeks I already have a 6 pound, 11 ounce baby. :001_huh:
Want to hear something freakier to ease your mind? I went in for a size check ultrasound at when my CNM said I was 35 and a half weeks with my second and she measured at well over 9 lbs. She was born 1.5 weeks later by induction, but otherwise natural means, at 10lbs 7oz! I know for sure that she had my dates wrong and I was almost 2 weeks further along but that would have still put me at only 37 weeks during that ultrasound.

I have given birth to a 9lb 7oz, 10lb 7oz, 8lb 10oz(induced 2 weeks early), and 7lb 9oz(induced 2 weeks early). I'm barely 5' 4"! You can do this even if she is huge. More than likely she will not be anyways. I pushed for the shortest time with my largest(45 minutes) but she was my only one not posterior. She did have slight shoulder dystocia but the CNM popped her shoulders right out. All of my 35-36 week ultrasounds have been pretty accurate for my babies but they can be very off.

Try not to freak!

:iagree: both my boys were over 10 pounds. My first baby, ds19, weighed 10 lbs 1 oz. I was in pain for over a year. BUT, my second boy was 10 lbs 11 oz, and I felt wonderful after having him. :confused: I wouldn't stress about the size alone. If you couldn't deliver it, they would know.

I was induced with babies #2 and #3 because my babies are so big. Maybe they're inducing you because of size? Did they mention that?

I've always wondered if this baby is bigger....her movements are bigger and more uncomfortable than with my other two. But I've only gained about 15 pounds with this pregnancy....and when they weighed me at the doctor the other day, I had actually lost a few. :confused: Have no idea how that happened.

I gained the least weight with my biggest baby. I believe like 18 lbs total. 1 week after she was born I weighed less than I did before I got pregnant!

Agreeing w/ PPs about the notorious unreliability of US measurements late in the game for determining size.

I also agree that big babies are not always difficult births. My 3rd was 9 lbs even. I'm 5'2" and fairly small framed. 2 pushes and he was out, no tearing at all. Out of all of my 3 births, it was the one where I didn't even have a need for a peri bottle post partum. I felt great down there LOL.

You can do it :D

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about being at 140-150 after a splurge, simply because it is a splurge. Your body uses recent meals to predict how much insulin to have stockpiled for the next meal. If the next meal is an outlier in terms of carb content, your pancreas is initially caught off guard, and it'll take longer than usual for your blood sugar to come down after that meal. No biggie.

And in my opinion, the under 120 blood glucose two hours after eating should apply to non-pregnant people. I'd give pregnant women a little more leeway, because average blood sugar rises slightly over the course of a normal pregnancy.

Agreeing w/ PPs about the notorious unreliability of US measurements late in the game for determining size.

I also agree that big babies are not always difficult births. My 3rd was 9 lbs even. I'm 5'2" and fairly small framed. 2 pushes and he was out, no tearing at all. Out of all of my 3 births, it was the one where I didn't even have a need for a peri bottle post partum. I felt great down there LOL.

You can do it :D

:iagree:my biggest baby was the easiest delivery with the least amt. of tearing and pain. I truly don't get it, but there ya go.

Also, I had gestational diabetes with my third. I watched my diet VERY closely. I would NOT worry, if I were you, about a splurge once per week, and your sugars weren't really that high after eating. Don't think you did this. My third baby was my smallest!!! again,:confused:

Yep... I was warned with all of mine about big babies....I am just little....my babies were little too. Most of them under 7 lbs with my biggest 8.5. I was told theybwere going to be at least 10 lbs...nope...they were wrong.

Faithe

:iagree: Also, baby fat squishes and heads mold. :) I would maybe be a little more careful with diet just in case, but things will likely be just fine. :)

Sounds like the recent birth of my 4th. 9lbs 8oz, born at home (awesome water birth :D), about 20 min of pushing (could have been less but my position wasn't the best the first couple pushes), shoulders presented transverse, and no tears or need for Peri bottle at all. And I'm also 5'2" with a small frame!

I live an hour from my midwife at the birth center. I had my 3rd one just fine. I got there in plenty of time. He was 9lbs 14 oz. You can do whatever you put your mind to do. Be sure to move around in labor and let gravity help. Stand or Squat or hands and knees. Unless you have a history of very quick labors I am sure you can get to the hospital in time. I am sure I will be able to make it yet again to the birth center. Even though my labors have gotten shorter. 12 instead of 36....

And when I was pregnant with my first my doctor was convinced the u/s was off because I was measuring small. My guy came out at 8lbs 15oz...surprising everybody. I know now that I carry my large babies hidden in my long torso. :glare: And they all like to back long. :glare:

With my oldest DD, they told me that she would be between 5 and 10lbs :confused: Uh...thanks but--I could have figured that out all on my own...

I had a friend who was told she couldn't have her VBAC with #5 (after 4 previous c-sections for breeches) because the baby was 10 pounds at 38 weeks. She ignored them. Her baby was successfully delivered vaginally and weighed.....a whopping 5 #s.

No big deal even if babies are 10#. My homebirth midwife routinely delivers babies 12#s and under with no complications-including a lady who was 4' 9" weighed under 90#s when she got pregnant with her first baby by her 300# 6'5" husband. That kid weighed in at 11 # -no tear no episiotomy. Good thing they didn't go with a hospital delivery with an OB. A fiend of mine delivered her 9# each twins at home with no problems. I have a Bradley instructor friend whose 10# had shoulder dystocia (sp?) at home. The midwife handled it just fine with no tearing, no episiotomy, and no problems for the baby.

I am 5'2" and weighed 95# when I conceived my first two kids. I stayed away from hospitals until my homebirth midwife said I didn't have a choice because they're just waiting to c-section small women. Odds of needing a c-section when you plan a homebirth with my midwife are 1 in 80. Odds of "needing" a c-section at the hospitals in my area are 1 in 3.

I was *this close* to a c-section because they talked me into induction at 39 wks because my baby was HUGE (according to them). They put him in at 9.5 lbs, if not bigger.

He came out at 8lbs 2oz, after 24 hrs on petocin with a huge bruise on the back of his head and breathing problems. For 20+ of the hours I was in labor, he was hitting his head against my pelvis instead of my cervix. He wasn't in the right position when they induced. There is a lot more to the story, and I could go on....

I'm just trying to back up her point. :001_smile:

I failed all of my "glucose tests" with my 4 pregnancies, was handed gestational diabetes literature with each one, etc. Each of mine were born at 36 weeks at or under 6 lbs, but perfectly healthy. I must add that with each I started preterm labor 4 weeks earlier than the one before, 2nd started at 29, 3rd at 25, and last at 21 (maybe it had something to do with that full time public school teaching I was trying to do :) Doctors have to go by the book, but don't forget to listen to yourself and your history.

No gest. diabetes, but big babies. I'm 5'3" (at most):

1. 8.5lb, 3hrs labor

2. 8.5lb, 19min labor

3. 9.5lb, maybe 8hrs labor?

4. 9.5lb, 30 hrs from water breaking to delivery...say 5-7 hrs of actual labor-feeling labor.

Were the last two slower because they were bigger? I don't know, but I was pretty worried about getting where I was going in time after #2, & it turns out there was no hurry. Fwiw, I only tore w/ #1. I think I was trying too hard to make it all be over, lol.

First, I'd say that ultrasound weight predictions are notoriously unreliable.

Second, I'd offer this sensible comment made by a (male) colleague many years ago: It's not really an issue of weight, is it? It's the size of the head, and once that's out, the rest follows!

I have no idea if there's any scientific validity to the statement, but it has an intrinsic logic, and it certainly made me feel better.

My DS (number 2) was a ten pound baby! I went in to be induced two days after my due date, but was already in labor, so they just broke my water and 45 minutes later he was born. He came out just fine, I had no drugs at all, and ended up with no tears or other troubles.

So even if it is leaning towards a big baby, they still come out just fine!

10lb babies aren't necessarily more difficult to birth either, especially if you've already had a couple. Seriously, it's not that bad. And just because an u/s gives some figure, doesn't mean it's so or that the baby will be huge at birth ;) I'm tired of hearing about dr's that c/s because they THINK a baby MIGHT be "big". (big being relative...knew a woman who was the smallest of her siblings at 10.5lbs...they went up to 16lbs and all were vag birthed @ home)

Even if the ultrasound is spot on, your baby will be around 9 pounds full term by most predictors, given a half a pound weight gain per week the last month. The ultrasounds are rarely spot on.

Due to fear of a large baby with my second pregnancy, I allowed myself to be induced at 39 weeks and regretted it. He was 7 lbs, 14 ounces, and the induction caused more issues than it prevented. Just my experience, but I purposed to not be induced again and I wasn't.

Edited by texasmama

Through the years they have been wrong about most of my childrens expected weight. They freak out and tell me the baby is going to be small about 5lbs or 5.5 at most. Each time they are speechless when I delivered a 7-8 lb baby. During one they were sure the fluid was low and that there would be issues. For weeks I was scared as they performed ultrasound after ultrasound. Saying the same things. The worry was for nothing.

I was serial monitored for both my age and the opposite, my GTT at 32 weeks came back at one hour at 78, followed by an U/S that showed high fluid levels and what looked to be a huge baby!

Two weeks later we did another U/S and determined the previous one was a "generous" measure on the fluids since they were normal (my first DS did have low fluids at the 40 week U/S so we were worried about that happening) and stayed normal, but baby still was measuring HUGE (at 36 weeks supposedly weighed in at 7lb 8oz) and my BG's were lower than expected, so doc worried I was pushing a lot of glucose from me to baby, resulting in my BG's going low.

meh

My first was 8-pounds even. With second I knew he wasn't as large as they were saying, but eye-roll, whatever. At the U/S just before I had him, estimate was 10lbs.....but, sure enough, what I already knew, when he was born he was 8lb 2oz.