Menu

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe: suitable for which age group?

I was thinking of reading the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe to my son who is an average 11yr old. I haven't read it myself yet so would like some feedback. What age group is this story suitable for, ie would he understand it, is there anything unsuitable for kids his age, etc? I don't want to start a book and have him not want to hear anymore, as he usually rejects that book forever then. Thank you

Its title is Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy

My 11 ds has read the first book, Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy, and found it very funny.

I do wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I am English and he watches a lot of English TV shows. You know how English humor is very different to American humor.

We read that book when ds was 11. We'd already seen the movie, which we adore! There were a few points that I felt weren't age appropriate, I can't even remember if they were s*x related, a comment about the women on another planet, or what. The comments were brief and went over ds's head. Ds found the book hilarious, but like others have said that's kind of our sense of humor.

We celebrate towel day, randomly sing So Long and thanks for all the Fish, and think 42 is the answer to every question. :tongue_smilie: We'll watch the movie when we're having a bad day. It's a standard in our household.

My dd is reading it now at 13 and enjoying it. She most certainly appreciates British humor. Because she loves the show Sherlock, she hunted around the internet and found some British radio show that actor appeared on (never heard of it - Cabin Pressure) and is listening to them all on her iPod and says it's the funniest thing ever.

I have read these books *many* times. I let my kids read them at 13. There is talk of one-night-stands, there is the triple-bre*sted wh*re of some planet, there are a *lots* of jokes, comments and set ups like that. So, it depends on what you think of as age appropriate. I would highly recommend a pre-read.

I loved the book. What everyone else has said is spot on, though. It's a certain kind of humor that your son may or may not have, or may or may not be old enough to understand.

And I second the comment about the very cynical view of God. If you believe in God, be aware that there are many pokes against God and religion in the book. It's up to you to decide if your son can handle having his beliefs made fun of with gleeful abandon. Eleven might be too young for that.

I have read these books *many* times. I let my kids read them at 13. There is talk of one-night-stands, there is the triple-bre*sted wh*re of some planet, there are a *lots* of jokes, comments and set ups like that. So, it depends on what you think of as age appropriate. I would highly recommend a pre-read.

:iagree:

There is also drinking, if that annoys people.

I love the books, I have read them several times.

The author actually wrote for classic Doctor Who.

• 1 year later...

I am conservative, and so I tend to favor waiting a bit longer than many. :) Eleven seems quite young to *me* -- I wouldn't suggest this one until age 13 or older. The reality at our house: I read the book aloud, skipping the few dicey bits (I mention them below) to DSs in late middle school/early high school and we all thought it was hilarious. For solo reading at our house -- upper high school.

We greatly enjoy off-beat British humor -- lots of it in this book. The tone of the book is absurdist, and slightly irreverent towards pretty much all topics: God, religion, evolution, science, culture... There are a few crudities/double entendres ("Big Bang"), and mention of "Er*tica Gallumbits, the triple-br**sted wh*re"; and several scenes of drinking and drunkenness, but it is clear that the characters who drank too much suffered consequences from the drinking.

It's a pretty quick read, so perhaps check out the first 6 chapters yourself and see what you think -- you'll have hit most of the "dicey bits" by that time. BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA:

As far as the SERIES -- there are five books, and I felt only the first two were worth it; the rest fell into a LOT of crudities, four-letter words, and a bit meaner spirit -- they just did not have the light-heartedness nor amazing creativity of the first two books. Instead, books 3-5 felt like fast-written knockoffs trying to capitalize on the success of the first two books, with not enough worthwhile moments to make it worth reading.

Definitely, if you read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, also go for the first sequel, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I strongly suggest skipping the others, and then have fun with Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency -- although, again, I'd recommend it for teens, not below, but mostly due to a lot would go over younger children's heads. Just my 2 cents worth!

My husband is getting ready to read it aloud with our 12yo, once they've finished the rest of Terry Pratchett's Guards series (having already done a number of Discworld books, both the juveniles and the adult series). Like others, we do a lot of British humor---she's seen Monty Python's "Holy Grail" (but not "Meaning of Life" yet ;) ) and is an ardent Dr. Who fan. We also tend to the quirky side of humor. :001_smile:

I went ahead and picked up The Hitchhiker's Guide for ds while at the library yesterday, and he's loving it! I heard a lot of giggling during his reading time yesterday evening, so I think it's a hit! I'm thrilled because now I'll be able to reference the book when talking to him (loved the series myself).

I think jr high or high school sounds right (because that's when I read it). My daughter read the three books at 10. She had finished all of Terry Pratchett's books and many Neil Gaimon and wanted more like it. I don't really censor books much and she tends to reread books, so I have no doubt she'll get more out of them when she's older. But... She did enjoy them. Anyway, I figure a child won't read what they're not ready for. If its too scary or grown up or complicated or difficult, they'll put it down. It's not a big deal.

Ds read it when he was 10. Loved it. Not at all traumitized by the content. I did pre read it. One scene (can't remember what but s*x related) gave me pause. I decided that it would fly over his head and it did. He thought the 3 B's weird. Loved the movie.

Please note we are British (sort of) so the style is familiar.

ETA:

As far as the SERIES -- there are five books, and I felt only the first two were worth it; the rest fell into a LOT of crudities, four-letter words, and a bit meaner spirit -- they just did not have the light-heartedness nor amazing creativity of the first two books. Instead, books 3-5 felt like fast-written knockoffs trying to capitalize on the success of the first two books, with not enough worthwhile moments to make it worth reading.

Hitchhiker and Restaurant are taken from the radio series (which is fun to listen to). Adams turned the radio series into the books, then kept on writing.

Neil Gaiman wrote Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide Companion in the 80s. It's neat too.