Menu

We bought sardines--what do we do now?

My ds was charmed with the little tins of sardines at the grocery store and begged me to let him try them. I bought them and have no idea what to do with them. Please advise the best method for enjoying them.:)

I do have to admit, the cans are kind of charming. They make lovely little dollhouse beds, or maybe a tin boat. :)

Delicious any way you eat 'em :D

Good with a little spicy mustard on black bread.

You can make a tasty pasta sauce by sautéing them with lots of fresh garlic, olive oil, and squeeze of lemon.

They are also good broiled (same basic idea as above) until just a bit crispy and served with rice.

Getting hungry just thinking about it.

Bill

You can make a tasty pasta sauce by sautéing them with lots of fresh garlic, olive oil, and squeeze of lemon.

They are also good broiled (same basic idea as above) until just a bit crispy and served with rice.

Bill

Okay, so they look like little fish with the head and fins and scales and all, right? I haven't opened the tin yet--that's just the image I have in my head. You eat them as is, head and all, no?? Or do you do something to them?

Bill

Huh. You almost make them sound edible.

I've eaten all sorts of weird stuff, but I'm askeered of sardines.

Okay, so they look like little fish with the head and fins and scales and all, right? I haven't opened the tin yet--that's just the image I have in my head. You eat them as is, head and all, no?? Or do you do something to them?

Yes, they are little fish with heads. Eat the whole thing.

Bill

Sardines are not weird. They are one of our most basic, low-on-the-food-chain type fish. Few items are more healthful, and they are delicious.

Bill

Bill - your "recipes" are making me want to rediscover sardines. I know they are high-high on the super food list. It sounds like I really need to try some new ways to eat them. As a kid, I LOVED them on toast, but I grew up with them and that was just normal. Now I'm thinking I need to try them again, as it's been a very long time.

Bill - your "recipes" are making me want to rediscover sardines. I know they are high-high on the super food list. It sounds like I really need to try some new ways to eat them. As a kid, I LOVED them on toast, but I grew up with them and that was just normal. Now I'm thinking I need to try them again, as it's been a very long time.

I'm glad to inspire a resurgence.

Bill

You may want to open the can outdoors before you decide whether they're edible or not. :tongue_smilie:

At that point you can dump the contents, the neighborhood cats will thank you, and spray out the can with the hose and bring it inside for a thorough cleaning to make it suitable for a cute something or other.

I haven't eaten them in years, but they ARE pretty good.

I like the ones packed in oil.

I put them on Wedemeyer Pumpernickel bread, open faced. I don't smush them, but some people do. Then I squeeze fresh lemon juice all over them and eat them like that.

They are very healthy--they have the good fat, in quantity, and TONS of calcium.

YAY!

I saw a co-worker having some the other day, and I had to get some. It's been years. My dad used to eat them.

I ate a can the other day. I was sitting on the kitchen floor just scraping them onto crackers.

It was a good day. :)

I had no idea any one else in the world liked them. :D

Oh yum. My dad bought us kids up eating sardines on toast and smoked oysters on toast. I prefer the sardines slightly smooshed on toast, then add a drizzle of tomato sauce. I love the oysters smashed onto toast. Although I am wierd and eat the beardy bit off the oyster first. :)

I have a can of each in the pantry, guess what I'm having for lunch!!!

Bill

Google putanesca sauce. It is delicious.