Menu

Seriously un-well-trained Mom (in this dept.) needs your beauty/girly tips

I'm thinking about this today because of a question on another board. I, for one, assumed everyone but me had prettily shaped eyebrows naturally until another woman told me when I was 28 that everyone was plucking their eyebrows and I could, too.

It wasn't that I didn't know about plucking stray hairs - I just didn't realize that women were actively "shaping" their eyebrows. (I can't believe I'm typing this.)

I have come to realize that many, many mothers pass on all kinds of information about beauty, grooming, dress, etc., that my mother never shared with me.

Can we have a beauty intensive? There are several hundred women on this board regularly, right? If all of us contribute some snippet of knowledge, we should cover just about everything, right?

I'm actually serious about this. It's time to pass on all this knowledge to my daughter and I think my knowledge has some serious gaps, LOL! Help this WTM Mom not fail her daughter!!!!!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never knew that either, for years. Then I sort of realized it a couple of years ago but couldn't visualize how to do mine. I had my sister try once and she wasn't sure how to do it either, so I gave up...I didn't want to overpluck and make it terribly ugly. This summer I discovered youtube beauty videos. They're amazing! I learned how to shape my eyebrows and apply eyeshadow much better. It's so much fun watching them, LOL. My mom didn't teach me any of that stuff. I even own an eyebrow pencil now :D

Here is what I can think of, working top to bottom:

Hair:

* The difference between a 'hair cut' and a 'hair style'. As you get older and age, having a hair style helps to maintain your appearance. You can have a low maintenance style or a high maintenance one (low maintenance = cut every 6-10 weeks, using 1-2 styling tools that take 5-10 minutes max to fix up). Don't keep the same hairstyle you wore when you were 20 if you're now 40 - it will really date you.

* The majority of women over 35 color their hair to cover grey and add highlights. If you dye your hair, make sure you use a color that flatters your coloring. Here's a hint: If you look fantastic in GREY colors and muted tones, then you want ashy colors in your hair -resist the temptation to go 'warm blond' as it will make you look wretched.

* Bangs give you instant botox for your forehead ;)

Face: Make-up is flattering and you can do a simple 5 minute routine that really wakes up your eyes. Don't overdo things, and you don't need tons of foundation, etc...

Facial Hair: You can shape eyebrows and get rid of (or bleach) chin hairs and above the lip hairs. Some women pluck, some shave, some depolitory, some electrolisis, etc...

Teeth and Gums: Brush twice daily - if you don't take care of your teeth in your teens/early 20's it can come back to haunt you 5-10 years down the road with deteriorated enamel and cavities. Flossing is important!

Clothing: Dress for your assets. Not all women can wear all styles. A book like this can be very helpful in knowing what styles to wear and what to avoid: http://www.amazon.com/Science-Sexy-Unique-Figure-Shapeand/dp/1592403360/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314985639&sr=8-1. Alternately, check out something like http://www.dressingyourtruth.com for figuring out your own personal style

'Clothes' vs. 'Style' - adding an accessory or making sure an outfit pulls together is key. A tshirt and jeans is not a style. A tshirt, jeans with a cute belt, necklace/bracelet/earrings/scarf, and coordinating shoes (with a jacket added as seasonally appropriate) is a style.

Undergarments: You need a good bra and panties, and don't be afraid of shapewear when the occasion demands it (either to smooth trouble spots or enhance other areas such as 'padded underwear' if you're not curvy behind and you are wearing a formal dress)

Bra straps hanging out are tacky - use a strapless bra instead or wear a different style of shirt.

Have shoes for each situation - this doens't mean a dozen pairs. It does mean the following: Dress shoes, sandals, boots, tennis shoes, casual shoes.

Exfoliate the skin before AND after shaving to prevent razor burn - especially important in the bikini line area.

Undergarments: You need a good bra and panties, and don't be afraid of shapewear when the occasion demands it (either to smooth trouble spots or enhance other areas such as 'padded underwear' if you're not curvy behind and you are wearing a formal dress)

Bra straps hanging out are tacky - use a strapless bra instead or wear a different style of shirt.

You should also wear a skin colored bra and underwear when wearing white. That way they don't show through. It amazes me how many women don't seem to know that.

You should also wear a skin colored bra and underwear when wearing white. That way they don't show through. It amazes me how many women don't seem to know that.

YES! If you only have one color of bra/undergarments - make it nude colored (especially in shirts).

Another clothing thing...LAYERS. Don't pick up a shirt and say "This is so thin, I can't wear this modestly." Clothing today is designed to be layered with 2-3 other items (camis, tanks, jackets, sweaters, cardigans, other tshirts, etc...). That's why knowing how to put an outfit together is an important skill (one I wish I had learned at a much younger age).

Oh - and can you define "exfoliating before you shave?"

Use some kind of scrub on your legs.

Adding on to what is already said, keep your hands and feet groomed. That just means clip your nails and smooth out your feet.

Also, I recommend shaving (or other means) underarms if wearing a tank top or short sleeve shirt.

Great thread. I have always struggled with this as I was never taught any of this stuff. I don't want my two daughters to struggle like I have. I give another vote for dressingyourtruth.com it has made a huge difference for me. Made it very simple to look pulled together with little effort.

One thing I learned recently was how to deal with my naturally curly hair. I don't have a lot but enough that I can't just let it air dry and heaven help me if it is hot or muggy. For years I have straightened it everyday, then a friend showed me how to take advantage of the curl. As soon as I get out of the shower I put curling gel in my hair, scrunch it, and then use a diffuser to dry it. So simple. 5 minutes and my hair looks nice all day. I end up with a nice soft wave. If I want more curl I will also add antifriz gel and a curl defining mouse.

I look forward to what others have to add.

Annmarie

Er, I saw a woman yesterday in a fairly darkish pink shirt. Her bra was white and black striped.

Add me to the category of learning. You Tube videos are great, I agree.

White bras also show up marvelously well when you're dancing at a club with black lights.:D

I found this out myself in my youth.

This is so perfect so far! Keep it coming!

Here's a question - how can you have a "hair style" but keep it long - all the "styles" seem to be shoulder length and above, or barely below the shoulders.

If you have bangs or layers then it's a style - I have friends who have long hair that is a style and it's beautiful on them. "Style" doesn't mean complex necessarily, but it does have to match the rest of your general look.

Oh - and can you define "exfoliating before you shave?"

You need to scrub off dead skin cells so that you get a better/closer shave and to prevent razor burn. You can use a scrubbing soap (they sell them at the store) or an exfoliating object like a washcloth or loofah. I personally don't like scented stuff so I just use a washcloth and water and scrub thoroughly before shaving (not as important for legs, SUPER important for bikini line shaving where ingrown hairs are very common post-shave).

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! If a skirt is not lined, one needs to wear a slip with it! I even have a couple of skirts that are lined, but they are for summer and both the fabric and lining are so thin that they *still* need a slip. I cannot stand to see a woman dressed to the nines who isn't wear a slip and has the sun behind her!!!

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine! If a skirt is not lined, one needs to wear a slip with it! I even have a couple of skirts that are lined, but they are for summer and both the fabric and lining are so thin that they *still* need a slip. I cannot stand to see a woman dressed to the nines who isn't wear a slip and has the sun behind her!!!

:iagree: And a thong does not eliminate the need for a slip. "Thong lines" are just as clear as visible panty lines and are just tacky...Old Navy dresses need slips - they are whisper thin fabric that clings!

:iagree: I notice that at church a lot when women walk in the front doors; they are back-lit and you can see their leg silhouettes.

Another body-shape thing I see often is a fairly close-fitting top with a bra that squeezes back fat. It doesn't look so good. This woman either needs tank-top shapewear to smooth all that out, a bigger bra with wider straps or a less form-fitting top.

Here's another body-shape issue to look for: shorts that get hung up on inner thighs. I don't care how casual you mean to be, this is a major DON'T. Shorts need to fall wider and/or lower than the widest point of thighs so they don't stay tucked into your crotch on the inside.

Check out _Color Me Beautiful_ and figure out what "season" you are - it really helps picking out colors that flatter you for make-up and clothes.

To deal with the eyebrow issue, go get your brows waxed at a decent salon (it should be about $15-$20). Then try to maintain the shape they make on your own with tweezers. I get mine waxed twice a year or so at the same place I get my hair cut, then maintain in between with tweezing.

Get a flat iron, its a wonderful thing.

I have never done anything with my eyebrows due to the fact that I hardly have any and they are very light brown. So I just make sure the eyebrows are combed and I use an eyebrow pencil.

Now for my hair, poor poor hair. I can't do anything with it. I have baby fine thin hair. I just let it fly. But I have found this shampoo called Living Proof which thickens hair and that has helped so much. It makes my hair look so much thicker. So my next step is to actually style it while it is still looking this thick. My mom didn't teach me anything either. When I was younger, my books were not very big but in the past couple of years they have gotten bigger and droopier. I didn't realize you had to put baby powder under books so you wouldn't get a rash. I got on to my mom about that and she just looked at me and said "I thought everyone knew that".

I am looking forward to this thread to get bigger and even more tips being passed along.

I have never done anything with my eyebrows due to the fact that I hardly have any and they are very light brown. So I just make sure the eyebrows are combed and I use an eyebrow pencil.

Now for my hair, poor poor hair. I can't do anything with it. I have baby fine thin hair. I just let it fly. But I have found this shampoo called Living Proof which thickens hair and that has helped so much. It makes my hair look so much thicker. So my next step is to actually style it while it is still looking this thick. My mom didn't teach me anything either. When I was younger, my books were not very big but in the past couple of years they have gotten bigger and droopier. I didn't realize you had to put baby powder under books so you wouldn't get a rash. I got on to my mom about that and she just looked at me and said "I thought everyone knew that".

I am looking forward to this thread to get bigger and even more tips being passed along.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: That's a new one for me, but as I have the brochure version of bOOks, it's completely moot! I guess I can be happy I have no need to powder anything due to overlying skin. :lol:

I adore the book "how to not look old" By Charla Krupp. check your library. It has advise for adults.

Oh, and don't over pluck your eyebrows..they thin as you get older. I have never really bothered with mine and now, in my 40s, I am feeling lucky. Many of my friends are bemoaning their lost eyebrows.

One thing I do have to do with my brows is trim them, not pluck. As you get older, what is there starts to grow (think old guys with bushy brows..happens to women as well). I trim the length of my brows but do not touch the thickness or really the shape. it makes all the difference.

Again, I cannot recommend "how to not look old" enough. It made a huge difference in how I feel about myself. I didn't look 'old' but I had a BAD case of mommy frump. When I was 20 and early 30s I could wear any old thing and do anything with my hair and look cute as a button. That changed at some point and I was left thinking my 'cute' days were over. What had been 'cute' was now sloppy and looked like I had given up. That book showed me how to transition to being a grown up. Very helpful.

The biggest thing I never learned was make-up. Except for special occasions, I have never worn it. And the times I did - someone else applied it for me so I didn't look like a sad clown. I think my mom would have taught me, but when my friends started wearing it, I was not interested. When i finally became slightly interested, I was afraid to because all my friends were pros by then and I was afraid I would mess it up and look foolish.

Now, in my 30's, my once clear skin could use something, and I don't know what, or what color, or what to do with it if I had it. :sad: I also don't want the comments of "Oh, you are wearing make-up now!" - because I'm not 13. :glare:

My mom gave me one piece of beauty advice: never pluck my eyebrows, because once you start, you're pretty much stuck doing it forever.

I ignored her. She was right, though.

It's probably good she didn't give me any other advice because I probably would have done the opposite of that, too. ;)

The biggest thing I never learned was make-up. Except for special occasions, I have never worn it. And the times I did - someone else applied it for me so I didn't look like a sad clown. I think my mom would have taught me, but when my friends started wearing it, I was not interested. When i finally became slightly interested, I was afraid to because all my friends were pros by then and I was afraid I would mess it up and look foolish.

Now, in my 30's, my once clear skin could use something, and I don't know what, or what color, or what to do with it if I had it. :sad: I also don't want the comments of "Oh, you are wearing make-up now!" - because I'm not 13. :glare:

I would look at a book, maybe the book by Carmindy (the What Not to Wear makeup artist). Foundation to even out skin tone is very necessary for me now; I never wore it when I was a teen/young adult. I also wear just a little brown eyeliner and mascara. I just draw a thin line right under the lashes on the bottom and right over the lashes on the top lid. If you use your pinky finger as an anchor on your cheek, it's easier to get an even line. I don't line my entire eye, just the part under the lashes. Something like this might be subtle enough for you that your face looks "somehow better" to others, but they might not immediately think, "OH! Makeup!" I like brown eyeliner, because it doesn't scream "MAKEUP!" the way colors (blue, green, purple) might.

If you want to wear a little blusher, buy a separate big puffy brush. Use this, not the applicator that comes in the makeup. This keeps it from looking like "clown cheeks;" it's hard to over-apply with a big, puffy brush. (I'm thinking something with a brush-head that is bigger than a quarter and maybe close to a half-dollar size.

Start gradually (add one item at a time every week or month):

1. Burt's Bees tinted lip gloss

2. Eyelash curler - really opens up the eyes with no makeup required :).

3. Add mascara (brown mascara for most women is more flattering).

4. Eyeshadow - when it's applied right, you don't notice the makeup but just that your eyes look more awake

5. Eyeliner just on the top lid

6. Bronzer/blush on the cheeks with a wide brush

Love that people are participating in this thread.

Two things people could speak to:

Subtle makeup - Seville was touching on that but I'd love to hear more. Do any of those "you don't have to match your skin" foundations actually work? Any other tips for the makeup impaired.

For instance, I have about 10 lipsticks in my makeup case. I wear none of them; they all look awful. How do I know (other than trying them on) what to get? I refuse to use testers in stores.

Another thing - at what age do girls start shaving their legs? I started in fifth grade, but my daughter seems so young for that. Anyone want to chime in?

Another thing - at what age do girls start shaving their legs? I started in fifth grade, but my daughter seems so young for that. Anyone want to chime in?

I don't think there's a right age; I think it's about her personal comfort. If she's self-conscious about leg hair and wants to shave, then I'd say it's time. If she doesn't care, then I don't see any reason to do it.

But, I'm super-minimalist about things, myself.

Here are a few things I didn't learn until my thirties:

If you have curly hair, do yourself a favor and read Curly Girl. It will change your life. (Deva Curl conditioner is now available at Amazon.com. Don't buy it in the salon)

If you have trouble with the whole eyebrow pencils/ shaping /plucking thing, you might avoid the whole mess by brushing your brows into shape (with the back of that thing people use to comb their eyelashes) and applying a little brown eyeshadow to the brows with a stiff brush. I have light brows, and using eyeshadow to darken them slightly is the easiest way for me to get a natural look.

If you hate the feel of foundation, try minerals. It makes a difference and you can't feel it.

GREEN STICK to cancel out red patches or blemishes.

Also, make-up is only liquid, cream, or powder. There is no law that prevents you from using lipstick as blush (or eyeshadow on brows.)

Monistat Anti-chafing cream is the SAME THING as the expensive eye shadow primers for a fraction of the cost.

Two things people could speak to:

Subtle makeup - Seville was touching on that but I'd love to hear more. Do any of those "you don't have to match your skin" foundations actually work? Any other tips for the makeup impaired.

I personally like mineral make-up (when I wear foundation which is...about once a year for formal photos ;)). I use mineral make-up for eye shadow, eyeliner, blush, and concealer. I use http://www.alimapure.com and they have a really helpful foundation matcher (I also emailed with their make-up artist for free and she narrowed it down to 2-3 shades, then I got samples of them to figure out the right one). The other thing I love about them is their samples - for $1 you get a nice sized pot to try on. They have a link here about which shades look best on which eye colors that also helped me a lot: http://blog.alimapure.com/blog-natural-mineral-cosmetics/

For instance, I have about 10 lipsticks in my makeup case. I wear none of them; they all look awful. How do I know (other than trying them on) what to get? I refuse to use testers in stores.

Throw them all out, first of all. Second - did you look at http://www.dressingyourtruth.com or Color Me Beautiful? If you can tell what "type" you are in DYT, then you can look at their make-up choices for each type in the store to get ideas. Here are their lipstick shades for each type - this is to give you color ideas).

Ex. Type 3's would want lip colors that have warm/bronze/caramel undertones and absolutely no 'cool' 'blue' or 'creme' undertones. Burt's Bees Caramel is Type 3. Burt's Bees Papaya is Type 1.

4th-5th grade is typical, though some start in 3rd if they have really dark hair and others don't begin until 6th-7th grade if they have light hair. At first they just shave once a week or so, the 'every other day' shaving isn't until high school (generaly speaking).

It's a lot easier to do the eyebrow thing if you invest in a good shaping by an eyebrow specialist first. The waxing/threading/plucking is a little uncomfortable, but it's a lot easier to keep up with a really good shape then to try to do it yourself from scratch. My husband is from South America and has really thick brows that he's passed on to some of my daughters. I have my teens's done by the time they are 13 or 14 (I ask the lady to make them natural-looking and not too thin) and then they just pluck the stray hairs as they notice them, and they stay looking great. If a kid can do it, so can you!

Barb

This is so perfect so far! Keep it coming!

Here's a question - how can you have a "hair style" but keep it long - all the "styles" seem to be shoulder length and above, or barely below the shoulders.

I've attached a picture of mine because I've finally got a long style that I like. It's not a great angle, but as is the case with most moms I'm usually the one behind the camera. My hair is almost bra-strap length in back now and it's layered all around with side-swept bangs. I sort of bend the hair toward my face with a flat iron. It takes maybe 5 minutes to do if I'm in a hurry, but if I want it to look really nice, I pin it up layer by layer and spend maybe 15-20 minutes.

Barb

Again, I cannot recommend "how to not look old" enough. It made a huge difference in how I feel about myself. I didn't look 'old' but I had a BAD case of mommy frump. When I was 20 and early 30s I could wear any old thing and do anything with my hair and look cute as a button. That changed at some point and I was left thinking my 'cute' days were over. What had been 'cute' was now sloppy and looked like I had given up. That book showed me how to transition to being a grown up. Very helpful.

Okay, I need to get this book. This is exactly where I am. Natural looks/cute body can carry jeans and a T when you're 21. Not so much when you're pushing 40. But I haven't known what to do about it!

Okay, I need to get this book. This is exactly where I am. Natural looks/cute body can carry jeans and a T when you're 21. Not so much when you're pushing 40. But I haven't known what to do about it!

Yeah, I hate it that every store I go into makes me look like I'm trying to hard to hold on to my youth, or I've given up and gone for the frump. I was a Loft and Banana fan for a while because they seemed to do a good job straddling the gap, but I'm either getting too old, or the styles have gotten younger. I'm not terribly comfortable with drapey, ruffled, puffy styles I've been trying on lately.

Barb

Yeah, I hate it that every store I go into makes me look like I'm trying to hard to hold on to my youth, or I've given up and gone for the frump. I was a Loft and Banana fan for a while because they seemed to do a good job straddling the gap, but I'm either getting too old, or the styles have gotten younger. I'm not terribly comfortable with drapey, ruffled, puffy styles I've been trying on lately.

Barb

I know! I was in the Gap tonight and there was a dress that would have made me look like a cream puff with legs. I guess you are supposed to wear skin-tight stuff under the drapey cardigans to avoid the tent look maybe, but that's not me. I wish someone would nominate me for What Not to Wear! I don't know what the heck I'm doing anymore.

I actually thought of one--

Ways to keep skin young and healthy are to put on sunscreen every day, drink adequate water, and avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Even though it may be cool to be tan, too much sun causes premature aging (wrinkles) and possibly skin cancer. It is good to wear sunscreen every day (broad spectrum which covers both UVA and UVB rays) on the sunexposed areas, especially the face and hands.

My mother didn't pass on any beauty wisdom to me either, sigh. Well, considering that every physical thing about me is the polar opposite of what she deal with, I guess she wouldn't have been to give me good advice on how to deal anyway. It baffles me that I have half her DNA and look so different from her.

Skincare: A zit is an infected pore. Infected pores come from being blocked or dirty. Use make-up remover (to remove dirt and make-up), exfoliate your face (to keep pores from blocking) and then use some sort of astringent/germ-killer to clean out your pores (to limit infection). And then moisturize, because all that cleaning strips the skin pretty bad and you'll start producing oil like crazy to balance it out. Once I thought this all through and adopted the routine, my break-outs stopped. Haven't had a problem since, and I was Queen of the Pregnancy Acne...ugh.

Eyebrows: Wax those puppies. Seriously. I eventually bought my own wax heater and strips and all the accessories from Sally Beauty Supply (it was about $75 altogether), and have been waxing my own brows for about four years now. At $20 a pop, four times a year, it paid for itself within a year and now I've saved $240 over the last three years.

Eyebrow powder is amazing. Pencils give you a pencilled-in look, powder just looks nice. I have thick eyebrows, even after thinning them down and so I never understood why anyone would want to "fill" them in after going to all the trouble of making them smaller. It just adds a degree of "polish" to your look when your eyebrows are filled in.

Tinted Moisturizer is more natural-looking than Foundation. If you're looking for just a hint of coverage to even out some skin tone issues, tinted moisturizer is great and very light.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. To me, there is a huge difference between drug store brands of make-up and make-up you buy at Sephora or Nordstrom's or the like. I think I actually look older when I wear cheaper make-up because it just doesn't blend or sit on my skin like the department store brands. [insert annoyed sigh here]

Chunky heels make your calves look larger.

Thick hair loves leave-in conditioner. I only just learned how to style my naturally wavy hair: When you get out of the shower and your hair is still damp, work in some leave-in conditioner and gel, then scrunch it while drying it on WARM with a diffuser. Before it's completely dry, stop to work in some curl mousse and then scrunch dry on HOT with a diffuser. Then go over it with COOL and spritz on some hair spray. Voila! It's so crazy easy that I consider "curly hair" my "easy" style now. (Info courtesy of Simple magazine, last year or the year before that.)

Who cares what size your clothes are as long as they fit? Don't get caught up on the numbers. You'll look worse wearing clothing that is too small than wearing well-fitting clothing, even if you've put on a little weight. This also works in the opposite--clothes that are too large look pretty awful.

Tailoring: Off-the-rack and in your size does not mean it fits your body. Rarely will any clothing you buy actually fit your body. Learn to tailor your clothes or be willing to pay for them to be tailored to fit you. (That whole "The waist is always too big in my jeans" can be fixed so easily!) It never fails to astound me that so many women think something is wrong with them because clothes just "don't fit" them...the clothing is mass-produced, there's no way they're going to fit everyone. Don't get lipo, learn to tailor your clothes!

And I think I've exhausted anything that I think about on a routine basis.

Edited by MrsBrooke

I know! I was in the Gap tonight and there was a dress that would have made me look like a cream puff with legs. I guess you are supposed to wear skin-tight stuff under the drapey cardigans to avoid the tent look maybe, but that's not me. I wish someone would nominate me for What Not to Wear! I don't know what the heck I'm doing anymore.

Yeah, I'm at a good weight for my height, but I'm 42! I'm a little lumpy in some places--a little fluffy in others. These styles are doing me no favors. Everything in the mall is a what not to wear.

Neutrogena Tinted Moisturizer is an awesome substitute for foundation. It has Retinol (anti-aging), sunscreen, moisturizer and light foundation all in one product. If you have skin that is especially dry like mine, I recommend first putting on a moisturizer/lotion a few minutes before the tinted moisturizer to help it blend easily and keep your skin from drying out. Applying a light powder (I use SkinClearing Mineral Powder) makes it last longer and keeps you from looking shiny.

Lip Gloss is the answer to not overdoing it on lipstick. My top choices are Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer (my favorite is Peony) and Buxum Big & Healthy Lip Polish (I usually just use clear).

An eyelash curler is my best friend. I don't even have to use mascara after using it if I don't feel like it.

Gummy Prenatal Vitamins are my secret to healthy skin and nails.

Water is so, so important. Most people do not drink enough water, and often we confuse feeling hungry for feeling thirsty. Drink a cup of water before you allow yourself to eat anything. You'll be surprised at how much less you eat and how much your complexion improves.

Loving this topic!

I'm having such a hard time finding makeup that I'm not allergic to. Anything with sunscreen in it seems to break me out. If I absolutely need sunscreen on my face, I have to use baby sunscreen. So I use Oil of Olay sensitive skin moisturizer without sunscreen and a loose powder and blush from Neutrogena. Oh, an some Burt's Bees lip gloss. I've used products from the cosmetic counters at the mall and have been allergic to them. I can't use anything that has "minerals" on the label no matter the brand. I haven't found a mascara that doesn't make my eyes itch. It's so frustrating! Thankfully, my skin is actually pretty clear and nice (when I'm not having an allergic reaction) so I can get away without much makeup. I used Arbonne products for a while, but they stopped making the one I could use... Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for super sensitive skin? Or maybe this is a blessing in disguise because my skin might not be in the good shape it is if I had been putting a lot of stuff on it?

Apparently women here have excellent skin. No one in their 30s has pimples, or better yet, wrimples? When I was 12, I thought I would be home-free in my 20s, but after having a child, the hormones went up a few notches, so that now I feel like a middle-aged women with teenage skin. I use only organic (as close to natural as possible) on my skin and refuse to take any medications (if only I can get over this objection, I would have beautiful skin). Will it stop when I'm in my 40's? I'm at the point where I almost don't care. They have been a constant in my life for the last quarter century.

I do find that Kate Somerville's EradiKate seems to shorten the life of the blemish; it contains 10% sulfur.

I got "How Not to Look Fat" and "How Not to Look Old" by the same author. The tips that I have found truly work:

Bangs make you look younger (a friend of mine also did this and it's amazing the difference)

Lighten your lipstick -dark lipstick makes you look older

Lighten your hair (highlights, lowlights, etc) -going darker makes you look older (I already have pale hair but at my 25th reunion a few ladies went darker than they were in high school and it didn't look nice at all)

Shapewear (assets, spanx, etc) are your friend!!!

Big and baggy only makes you look fatter

:iagree: I recently discovered (on eBay) slips that are called Pettipants. LOVE them :001_smile:

I have no idea what kind of clothing I should wear. One day I was 20, and then I was pregnant for ever, and then suddenly I was a 30 something mom that can't shop in the stores I did at 20. Now I'm 34, with a larger, curvier, pear shaped body and no idea what to put on it.

I tossed out ALL my clothes and filled my closet with Eileen Fisher clothes. They are made to mix and match and I love the quality fabrics. The new prices are $$$ but they can be bought (new and used) for about $10 to $40 and up.

4th-5th grade is typical, though some start in 3rd if they have really dark hair and others don't begin until 6th-7th grade if they have light hair. At first they just shave once a week or so, the 'every other day' shaving isn't until high school (generaly speaking).

Really? None of my friends started shaving their legs until late junior high or high school. I don't think I would allow my daughter to start shaving before the 8th grade unless she had a lot of hair and was really uncomfortable.

FWIW, I don't shave my legs at all because I have very minimal, fine, thin, light hair and shaving makes it more noticeable not less.

Really? None of my friends started shaving their legs until late junior high or high school. I don't think I would allow my daughter to start shaving before the 8th grade unless she had a lot of hair and was really uncomfortable.

FWIW, I don't shave my legs at all because I have very minimal, fine, thin, light hair and shaving makes it more noticeable not less.

The majority of the girls in my area are darker haired/darker skinned (Italian, Greek, Latina) which is associated with thicker/darker leg hair at earlier ages. I cannot imagine what my leg hair would have looked like in 8th grade without shaving - I would have been as hairy as a teenage guy. The only people I knew who didn't start shaving until middle school or beyond were friends of Scandanavian descent.

I have no idea what kind of clothing I should wear. One day I was 20, and then I was pregnant for ever, and then suddenly I was a 30 something mom that can't shop in the stores I did at 20. Now I'm 34, with a larger, curvier, pear shaped body and no idea what to put on it.

:iagree: This is me exactly except now I'm an apple. I can't wait to read the books recommended here! I really do need help. Maybe acquiring a full length mirror would be a good first step!